• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Exclusive: White House preparing draft national emergency order and identified $7 billion for wall

Not a 2/3 majority and she would have to have 2/3 of the Senate, too. So...good luck!

I have news for you, Trump is not a dictator yet, though he's trying hard to be. He can't just do anything he wants to do. He only holds ONE-THIRD of the power in this government, he has to share with the other two branches of government. He can try this bull**** of declaring a national emergency and I damned well hope he does because it will be his downfall. This will be the red line his republicans in Congress have drawn and once he crosses that line they're all going to turn on him. I guarantee that.

I have news for you, Trump is not a dictator yet, though he's trying hard to be. He can't just do anything he wants to do. He only holds ONE-THIRD of the power in this government, he has to share with the other two branches of government. He can try this bull**** of declaring a national emergency and I damned well hope he does because it will be his downfall. This will be the red line his republicans in Congress have drawn and once he crosses that line they're all going to turn on him. I guarantee that.

Congress and the courts don't have dictatorial powers either, no matter how much you want them to.

Look, I know you're mad because the law is President Trump's side, but that's just the way things are.

Not a 2/3 majority and she would have to have 2/3 of the Senate, too. So...good luck!

The more likely outcome is that SCOTUS shoots him down again, since this is obviously not something Trump considers to be an emergency.

The more likely outcome is that SCOTUS shoots him down again, since this is obviously not something Trump considers to be an emergency.

The court can't change the law.

Captain Adverse said:
So, CA, you previously mentioned this kind of a move by Trump would be too far you, so will you no longer support Trump if it indeed happens?

Trump must be removed from office today as he is the greatest single threat to our nation since the fall of the Axis powers in 1945.

How do you propose that be done?

The admin should just refuse to follow a judges order, the law gives judges no authority to question the president’s judgement here, so trump should order it built post haste and then simply pardon the officials in charge of any contempt orders

What banana republic dictatorship did did you say you're from?

And Pelosi and Schumer are the experts. I don't know if neither of them have ever been to the border, let alone talk to all the top brass at the border what is needed to provide the best security. All Pelosi knows is walls don't work, what expert told her that? And where in the hell did she get a wall is immoral. Who was the expert advising her on morality?

As for Trump being an expert, he sure has had visits to the border and has talked to the border top brass as to their needs to secure our border. When I compare Trump vs Pelosi / Schumer, Trump is hands down the most educated on the subject of border security. In fact Trump and the generals got rid of ISIS when Obamafail could not take out the TV Team. Obamafail didn't even know what a RED LINE meant.

Trump had not even visited the border when started with that story about a wall. In fact it was a way his handlers got him to talk about immigration and that's all. And now you want to spend 10's of billions on a scripted cue for a moron. Not one qualified expert in border security thinks a wall is a effective way to spend our money. There are dozens of reason why it can't even be done at all in many areas. Trump has no education on ANY subject no less and you are fooling yourself to believe otherwise. 75% of Republicans in Congress did not support this wall nonsense and that's why it never got done while they were in control.
You should be ashamed of yourself for being so gullible and behaving like a sheep.

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/why-wall-wont-work

Congress and the courts don't have dictatorial powers either, no matter how much you want them to.

Look, I know you're mad because the law is President Trump's side, but that's just the way things are.

Possibly the only experience or knowledge you have about courts might be traffic court. But alas, you'll learn eventually. A federal court is an entirely different type of thing than traffic court. Their job isn't to dictate law as you may assume. Their job is to uphold the laws of the land.

Not if there are crashed planes involved, and burning buildings, and dead bodies.
Not only will they not turn on him, they'll threaten anyone who does.
It will become Donald Trump's Reichstag Fire, and with that, he will demand his Enabling Act.

Patterns...patterns begin to look familiar after you've lived long enough to be burned by them.
Trump has recognized every single tyrannical dictator on the face of this Earth, he has defunded critical and essential national security, left the men and women who guard our coastal waters destitute, closed down the FBI and DOJ, put our Border Patrol on charity and eviscerated our Air Traffic Control workers.

If you cannot discern that we're bent over with our fly unzipped at this point, and wearing a giant "PLEASE KICK OUR ASSES" sign with our ass cheeks spread wide open, you're BLIND.

The man is committing acts of domestic terrorism and inviting more of the same as we speak.
This isn't a shutdown, it's an internal coup, it's a deliberate dismantling of the Constitution and it's a clear and present danger to the American people. Donald Trump is Tony Montana, with a pile of ground up Adderall on his desk.

And Stephen Miller's greasy little hands are all over this plan. Trump isn't smart enough to have dreamt this up all by himself.

Stephen Miller Sound Alarms.jpg

Possibly the only experience or knowledge you have about courts might be traffic court. But alas, you'll learn eventually. A federal court is an entirely different type of thing than traffic court. Their job isn't to dictate law as you may assume. Their job is to uphold the laws of the land.

A Federal court can't make, nor change law. Not much to know. If you believe otherwise, then YOU sir, don't know anything about the constitutional authority of the judicial branch.

So, CA, you previously mentioned this kind of a move by Trump would be too far you, so will you no longer support Trump if it indeed happens?

Well...

According to options being considered, the administration could pull: $681 million from Treasury forfeiture funds, $3.6 billion in military construction, $3 billion in Pentagon civil works funds, and $200 million in Department of Homeland Security funds, the official said.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics/trump-border-wall-emergency-draft/index.html

I would have problems with a President who bypasses Congress to use funds appropriated for other purposes for a project he cannot otherwise get funded.

While I can understand his "business viewpoint" and trying to run the government like a business, it simply does not work that way.

I firmly believe in the separation of powers; Congress taxes and appropriates the funds, the Executive Branch supervises the spending per the appropriations authorization.

Having said that, I see it is a story on a draft proclamation. As long as it remains "under discussion" and does not go into force? Nothing changes, as it might be another Trump attempt to "bluff" Congress (much like the SOTU confrontation).

I will wait and see.

Yip when a Democrat gets into office it will come down faster than the solar panels on the Whitehouse when Reagan moved in.

And then every president from here on out will do the same thing if they can t achieve campaign promise's through normal procedure.

Trump is the master of the deal, maybe he should read his own damn book.

He didn't write it anyway.

Not if there are crashed planes involved, and burning buildings, and dead bodies.
Not only will they not turn on him, they'll threaten anyone who does.
It will become Donald Trump's Reichstag Fire, and with that, he will demand his Enabling Act.

Patterns...patterns begin to look familiar after you've lived long enough to be burned by them.
Trump has recognized every single tyrannical dictator on the face of this Earth, he has defunded critical and essential national security, left the men and women who guard our coastal waters destitute, closed down the FBI and DOJ, put our Border Patrol on charity and eviscerated our Air Traffic Control workers.

If you cannot discern that we're bent over with our fly unzipped at this point, and wearing a giant "PLEASE KICK OUR ASSES" sign with our ass cheeks spread wide open, you're BLIND.

The man is committing acts of domestic terrorism and inviting more of the same as we speak.
This isn't a shutdown, it's an internal coup, it's a deliberate dismantling of the Constitution and it's a clear and present danger to the American people. Donald Trump is Tony Montana, with a pile of ground up Adderall on his desk.

And Stephen Miller's greasy little hands are all over this plan. Trump isn't smart enough to have dreamt this up all by himself.

View attachment 67248773

Where are trump’s personal gaurd?

Has trump cowed the generals?

Let me tell you a story told around the time of the reichstag Fire: a boy and his father are sitting down to dinner. The boy asked the father “who set fire to the reichstag?” The father, quite agitatedly, tells the boy to “Eat! Eat!” In German this was “Essen! Essen!” “S! S!”

That story exists because not everyone bought the nazi’s claim and saw it as a naked power grab.

People don't see this as a crisis because it has never been called out for what it is...A crisis. No President has had the balls to take on immigration until Trump. People are flooding across the border illegally, I'd say that is a crisis.

Flooding across the border? Oh really?

OTOH maybe they will be if the border agents don't get paid soon. .

Last edited:
Well...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics/trump-border-wall-emergency-draft/index.html

I would have problems with a President who bypasses Congress to use funds appropriated for other purposes for a project he cannot otherwise get funded.

While I can understand his "business viewpoint" and trying to run the government like a business, it simply does not work that way.

I firmly believe in the separation of powers; Congress taxes and appropriates the funds, the Executive Branch supervises the spending per the appropriations authorization.

Having said that, I see it is a story on a draft proclamation. As long as it remains "under discussion" and does not go into force? Nothing changes, as it might be another Trump attempt to "bluff" Congress (much like the SOTU confrontation).

I will wait and see.
Thank you for your thoughts.

The court can't change the law.

They don't need to change the law. Emergency declaration powers are not a blank check.

This could be a bluff or not. I wouldn't put it past him to declare a national emergency and steal the $7 billion from another fund designated for emergency relief or something else. 'Rob from Peter to pay Paul' thing.

Exclusive: White House preparing draft national emergency order and identified $7 billion for wall

Washington (CNN)The White House is preparing a draft proclamation for President Donald Trump to declare a national emergency along the southern border and has identified more than $7 billion in potential funds for his signature border wall should he go that route, according to internal documents reviewed by CNN.

Trump has not ruled out using his authority to declare a national emergency and direct the Defense Department to construct a border wall as Congress and the White House fight over a deal to end the government shutdown. But while Trump's advisers remain divided on the issue, the White House has been moving forward with alternative plans that would bypass Congress.

If Trump declares a national emergency for the purpose of manipulating what Congress authorized to spend, Congress has 6 months to shoot it down. However, I predict that SCOTUS will shoot it down as an unauthorized abuse of power within 6 days. Trump just doesn't understand what separation of powers means. SCOTUS does, and will rule very quickly against the wannabe dictator.

Yeah just wait until a Democratic President claims a national emergency over climate change. Which could actually happen.

Yep, or homelessness, the high cost of public college, the high cost of buying a home or fixing poverty/violence in third world nations (the "root cause" of asylum seekers?). After all, congress is unlikely to ever "adequately fund" many things that they (may?) have addressed or that the POTUS made bold campaign promises about.

If he goes this route, failing to get Congressional support, the eminent domain cases are going to be next to impossible for Trump to win, I would think.

One, I think this is a new strategy and doubt the seriousness of the threat. But then Trump's stupidity has fooled me before.

There will be more push back than land owners in Texas, which in themselves will chew up more than two years of court time, and a billion or more in legal fees.

Then add every immigration organization, social agency and the states themselves. If I am not mistaken there is a great issue in using armed forces within the US, the federal authority needing states permission.

From what I read there is about five years worth of constitutional arguments, if Trump goes this route we will know for certain he never wanted a wall at all, but wanted a "win" and to at least feel like he's crushed his puny opponents.

This is all about his ratings in "Foxlandia."

One, I think this is a new strategy and doubt the seriousness of the threat. But then Trump's stupidity has fooled me before.

There will be more push back than land owners in Texas, which in themselves will chew up more than two years of court time, and a billion or more in legal fees.

Then add every immigration organization, social agency and the states themselves. If I am not mistaken there is a great issue in using armed forces within the US, the federal authority needing states permission.

From what I read there is about five years worth of constitutional arguments, if Trump goes this route we will know for certain he never wanted a wall at all, but wanted a "win" and to at least feel like he's crushed his puny opponents.

This is all about his ratings in "Foxlandia."

Hey fearandloathing, does the name “Cannae” ring any bells?

If Trump declares a national emergency for the purpose of manipulating what Congress authorized to spend, Congress has 6 months to shoot it down. However, I predict that SCOTUS will shoot it down as an unauthorized abuse of power within 6 days. Trump just doesn't understand what separation of powers means. SCOTUS does, and will rule very quickly against the wannabe dictator.

I hope that you are right. I fear that you are wrong; wondering if you have too much faith in a long corrupted system.

Back
Top Bottom