• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Exclusive: White House preparing draft national emergency order and identified $7 billion for wall

This could be a bluff or not. I wouldn't put it past him to declare a national emergency and steal the $7 billion from another fund designated for emergency relief or something else. 'Rob from Peter to pay Paul' thing.

Exclusive: White House preparing draft national emergency order and identified $7 billion for wall

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics/trump-border-wall-emergency-draft/index.html

Washington (CNN)The White House is preparing a draft proclamation for President Donald Trump to declare a national emergency along the southern border and has identified more than $7 billion in potential funds for his signature border wall should he go that route, according to internal documents reviewed by CNN.

Trump has not ruled out using his authority to declare a national emergency and direct the Defense Department to construct a border wall as Congress and the White House fight over a deal to end the government shutdown. But while Trump's advisers remain divided on the issue, the White House has been moving forward with alternative plans that would bypass Congress.

This is a stunt. He's playing with CNN like he always does. Pelosi's got him by the balls. He will cave within a few days and the Democrats may end up with everything they ever wanted. Trumps already giving them DACA and Amnesty and his idiot supporters are completely fine with it, b/c an orange man and not a black man is telling them it's OK.

Because you share his right wing affliction?

I don't support illegal immigration, human trafficking, and smuggling.... if that's what you mean. Legal immigration, I'm all for.

That’s a dodge.

The law on paper says the government can only be sued if It consents to the suit.

I don't know where you live or what Constitution you exist under, but I know the government didn't consent to the Muslim Ban lawsuit nor the DACA lawsuit they just lost.

I don't know where you live or what Constitution you exist under, But I know the government didn't consent to the Muslim Ban lawsuit nor the DACA lawsuit they just lost.

Yes the government did consent to that suit by passing laws regarding that issued. However there was never any Muslim ban, at no point during the trump administration have muslims been barred from the US because they were Muslim

The admin should just refuse to follow a judges order, the law gives judges no authority to question the president’s judgement here, so trump should order it built post haste and then simply pardon the officials in charge of any contempt orders

My dear comrade, we don't do things like you do it in your authoritarian Russia... well, not yet at least...

Psssst... you are blowing your cover here too easily

Yes the government did consent to that suit by passing laws regarding that issued. However there was never any Muslim ban, at no point during the trump administration have muslims been barred from the US because they were Muslim

Lol. Geezus. You don't even know how the courts work. No wonder this country is so messed up.

With all the outrage and the accompanying misinformation about just what this procedure is all about, it would behoove people to bone up on the National Emergencies Act of 1976 before they try to get into the weeds on it.

Here is a Wiki article that looks to be accurate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emergencies_Act#Emergency_powers

An interesting part is this:

Procedure for new emergencies and rescinding emergency declarations[edit]

The Act authorized the President to activate emergency provisions of law via an emergency declaration on the conditions that the President specifies the provisions so activated and notifies Congress. An activation would expire if the President expressly terminated the emergency, or did not renew the emergency annually, or if each house of Congress passed a resolution terminating the emergency. After presidents objected to this "Congressional termination" provision on separation of powers grounds, it was replaced in 1985 with termination by an enacted joint resolution. This means that for Congress to rescind a declared emergency, not only must they pass the joint resolution, but the President must sign the legislation. The Act also requires the President and executive agencies to maintain records of all orders and regulations that proceed from use of emergency authority, and to regularly report the cost incurred to Congress.

Yeah...I predict that the Congressional Dems won't bother with the established procedure for terminating this national emergency. It would be a waste of time to try.

They would be better off trying the court route, though the chances aren't much better of success.

Get ready for the crowds to be screaming into the night sky...again.

Ohmigosh ... think of the hair-on-fire response Trump and the GOP would have had if Obama had an order like this in his vest pocket.

They did! Think of any of his EOs. To be honest, I disagreed with a few of them, but this is even farther out than anything Obama upset me with

This could be a bluff or not. I wouldn't put it past him to declare a national emergency and steal the $7 billion from another fund designated for emergency relief or something else. 'Rob from Peter to pay Paul' thing.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics/trump-border-wall-emergency-draft/index.html

Washington (CNN)The White House is preparing a draft proclamation for President Donald Trump to declare a national emergency along the southern border and has identified more than $7 billion in potential funds for his signature border wall should he go that route, according to internal documents reviewed by CNN.

Trump has not ruled out using his authority to declare a national emergency and direct the Defense Department to construct a border wall as Congress and the White House fight over a deal to end the government shutdown. But while Trump's advisers remain divided on the issue, the White House has been moving forward with alternative plans that would bypass Congress.

in a way i hope he tries it. I want him to do it so the courts can shut it down and force the rules/better definition or precedence on "national emergency". Because i wouldn't want him or any president doing this based on something so monumentally stupid and this will prevent uneducated tyrants in the future for trying this nonsense also.

Last edited:
Congress passed a law giving the president authority to use the military to construct fortifications using the DoD budget and left the definition of emergency up to the president. Congress can change this law at any time. Nowhere in this statute does it say “a judge must agree with the president” since no law passed by congress gives judges this authority then it follows any authority asserted by one is really a usurpation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is going to get dragged through the courts all the same. Nobody is going to take a fake state of emergency sitting down.

He put troops on the boarder taken soldiers away from their families over Christmas.

He cut off disaster relief to the fire victims in California.

He started a program to separate children from her families as a deterrent to assylem seekers.

He would not even hesitate to grab money earmarked for disaster relief for this idiotic wall.

I think this is going to get dragged through the courts all the same. Nobody is going to take a fake state of emergency sitting down.

Well under the law there is no such thing as a fake emergency if the president declares it.

He did.

Obama used this national security route against Libya that led to him waging war and supplying arms to the Libyan rebels.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2011/02/25/obama-declares-national-state-of-emergency-over-libya/

btw, those arms somehow found their way into the hands of ISIS.

But hey...I don't think we have to worry about people dying over Trump's declaration, do you?

Yes there will, there are a lot of ranchers that will take up arms to defend their property and access to water.

I know I sure as hell would!

The admin should just refuse to follow a judges order, the law gives judges no authority to question the president’s judgement here, so trump should order it built post haste and then simply pardon the officials in charge of any contempt orders

So you believe that this President is an expert on border security and what constitutes an "emergency" and no one dare question him? That does not sound right to me. Trump is not an expert on anything and has no qualifications to be either.

So you believe that this President is an expert on border security and what constitutes an "emergency" and no one dare question him? That does not sound right to me. Trump is not an expert on anything and has no qualifications to be either.
I think I believe the DHS and the border patrol when they see they need more barriers and not Nancy Pelosi when her party is making every effort to get illegals into voting booths

Perhaps not, but the statute gives the President sole discretion to define what a national defense interest is. Maybe Congress should have thought about this outcome before they passed it.

Do tell, what will you say when the next Democrat president does the same?

Exactly what if a liberal decides not to recognize the second amendment due to the national emergencies of school shootings, arguably a far .ore life threatening issue than refugees...

Well under the law there is no such thing as a fake emergency if the president declares it.

Again to be tested in the courts I think. It's like saying there's no obstruction if the president commits it. By proclaiming a new reality just to get his way they might find he's overstepped his powers, such as when courts have struck down executive orders in the past. If we go down the road of 'the president can do anything if he legally has the power to do so,' it's the fast track to dictatorship.

Remember that you are okay with the president having that kind of power when a far leftist occupies the White House.

I think I believe the DHS and the border patrol when they see they need more barriers and not Nancy Pelosi when her party is making every effort to get illegals into voting booths

LOL Only Trump sycophants say that his wall is a good idea. Independent experts on the field do not. Your ludicrous aside about illegals voting does not help your case.

Perhaps not, but the statute gives the President sole discretion to define what a national defense interest is. Maybe Congress should have thought about this outcome before they passed it.

Not really. We have 3 branches of Govt. and the other 2 equal parts always have some say over what a President does. I'm amazed that so many of you think Trump was elected dictator. He's not.

You lose any sliver of credibility when you ring up the myth of illegals voting...

You do not have the slightest clue about what "the law" is, nor do you know how to find out what it is. Nor, apparently, do you give a **** about it anyway.

:shrug:

I know I can't stop you from spewing, but really. Spew better.

Back
Top Bottom