• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeVos in wheelchair after breaking her pelvis and hip socket in bicycle mishap

I hope she gets better. Then gets fired and prosecuted.

I broke mine in the same motorcycle accident that left me with this TBI. The hip surgery was a huge help and healed in about a year. The TBI on the other hand is a little slower. I did regain my speech and the stutter is gone, but I still have a hard time with some cognitive issues, and my memory is shot. On a good note, I am back to riding again.:cool:

I talked to a burn surgeon at an area hospital. They call motorcycles donorcycles because the drivers are still alive but brain dead from TBI, all ready to be harvested.

I talked to a burn surgeon at an area hospital. They call motorcycles donorcycles because the drivers are still alive but brain dead from TBI, all ready to be harvested.

Surely motorcycles will be illegal in UTOPIA....

i love my motorcycle, but i think that i'll probably have to sell it soon. i am no longer willing to take the consequences if things go wrong. i stopped riding about two years ago for this reason.

Ouch! That sucks. As a cyclist, it's one of the things in the back of my mind as I get older. I've had my share of spills, and they're just not as easy to recover from as the years go by.

i love my motorcycle, but i think that i'll probably have to sell it soon. i am no longer willing to take the consequences if things go wrong. i stopped riding about two years ago for this reason.

I've always wanted one but never lived somewhere it would be reasonable to ride let alone learn. Cities/urban sprawl and college towns are too crowded and too many drunks. Where I plan to retire, the slopes are steep; so I guess I'll not get that fun.

Ouch! That sucks. As a cyclist, it's one of the things in the back of my mind as I get older. I've had my share of spills, and they're just not as easy to recover from as the years go by.

12 weeks, minimum, for a clean break like what DeVos appears to have had to heal. And, that's assuming no damage to the blood vessels. If the break involved displacement of the femur head from the pelvis socket, she's looking at a hip replacement in a year's time.

I had a comminuted fracture of my femur, basically snapped the head right off of it and leaving about several pieces loose in the process. The surgeon managed to reattach it with four screws that have to be almost three inches long. The post-surgical Xray is totally cool. My luck was that there was no displacement. So, I healed up fine, in about a six months.

I've always wanted one but never lived somewhere it would be reasonable to ride let alone learn. Cities/urban sprawl and college towns are too crowded and too many drunks. Where I plan to retire, the slopes are steep; so I guess I'll not get that fun.

it's flat where i live, and my hometown is fairly rural, so there are plenty of country roads. have to watch out for animals and bees, but that's about it if you choose the right place to ride. still, i'm a bit of a klutz. i took a riding course in 2012 to get a little better at it. however, i'm thinking that i might quit while i'm ahead, or at least take a break. i quit riding once before in my 20s when i realized that i might not be mature enough yet to make the best decisions. started back up in my 30s.

So you've gained enough wisdom to want to pass on becoming an organ donor?

it's flat where i live, and my hometown is fairly rural, so there are plenty of country roads. have to watch out for animals and bees, but that's about it if you choose the right place to ride. still, i'm a bit of a klutz. i took a riding course in 2012 to get a little better at it. however, i'm thinking that i might quit while i'm ahead, or at least take a break. i quit riding once before in my 20s when i realized that i might not be mature enough yet to make the best decisions. started back up in my 30s.

Bees. Haha. Hadn't thought of that.

So you've gained enough wisdom to want to pass on becoming an organ donor?

i might take it up again at some point. however, i'm a bit spooked about the whole thing right now. every time i think about going out, i reconsider.

Bees. Haha. Hadn't thought of that.

i took a bee to the neck at 55 MPH on a country road in 2012 or so. i had a reaction to it that i've never had before. took a week for the welt to go down, so i guess that i'm becoming sensitized. bought a windshield :

621842_4067973629205_1680470929_o.jpg

it helped to keep the bugs off of me quite a bit.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/17/devos-bicycle-accident-wheelchair-1108564

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is recovering in a wheelchair from a recent bicycling accident, calling the ordeal “very painful.”

In her first public appearance since the accident, DeVos said today that she broke her pelvis and hip socket. She underwent surgery earlier this month.
==================================================
Fragile bones can result from a number of factors, including poor dietary intake of vitamin D & calcium as well as post-menopausal osteoporosis.

Orrrrrrrrrrr, trauma results in bone fractures:roll:

i took a bee to the neck at 55 MPH on a country road in 2012 or so. i had a reaction to it that i've never had before. took a week for the welt to go down, so i guess that i'm becoming sensitized. bought a windshield :

I'm thinking a hive on the move, a big thick swarm. I guess one can dodge those.

Yikes.

View attachment 67248221

it helped to keep the bugs off of me quite a bit.

I once had a yellowjacket get down under my leather jacket and under my shirt. It stung me 5 times before I could slow the bike down and pull over. I stomped the hell out of that sucker with my boot.

Orrrrrrrrrrr, trauma results in bone fractures:roll:

Of course. In my case I had a lot of time to think about why I had this terrible reaction from falling from standing height. I had the hospital check my vitamin D & calcium & both came back as being under the normal range.

I once had a yellowjacket get down under my leather jacket and under my shirt. It stung me 5 times before I could slow the bike down and pull over. I stomped the hell out of that sucker with my boot.

Hit a bird in your face or shoulder & that could do a lot of damage.

I'm thinking a hive on the move, a big thick swarm. I guess one can dodge those.

Yikes.

could happen, but i haven't see that. you're much more likely to encounter some other big bug or a stone strike. once again, a windshield is a great idea.

man, that sucks. took me a minute to pull over and pull out the stinger. i only got stung once.

i did learn one other thing the hard way while riding : never wear a 70s leather jacket with a huge collar on a bike. sure, it looks cool. however, once you're at speed, that collar will start flapping and turn your neck into tenderized meat. it seemed like a good idea until it wasn't. i rode home part of the way one handed while using the other hand to hold down the collar. not safe.

12 weeks, minimum, for a clean break like what DeVos appears to have had to heal. And, that's assuming no damage to the blood vessels. If the break involved displacement of the femur head from the pelvis socket, she's looking at a hip replacement in a year's time.

I had a comminuted fracture of my femur, basically snapped the head right off of it and leaving about several pieces loose in the process. The surgeon managed to reattach it with four screws that have to be almost three inches long. The post-surgical Xray is totally cool. My luck was that there was no displacement. So, I healed up fine, in about a six months.

Yeah I wish her ill in every professional way but not this, this plain sucks. I wanna see her corruption dealt with, but wish her no physical harm.

DeVos has been a horrible Secretary of Education. She was and is massively under qualified for the position. One of the glaring problems with DeVos' "leadership", and there are many, is her approach to children with disabilities. I sincerely hope that DeVos might find her unfortunate situation a learning opportunity. Universe has presented the opportunity to her in an unpleasant manner. It happens to many of us. I sincerely hope DeVos uses the opportunity she has been given. She may find that she will be a better person for it.

Most everyone reading this will be directly affected by a disability before they die. It will happen to you or to someone you love. You don't get to choose how or when. People who are adventitiously disabled were able bodied the day before they became disabled. It frequently happens that quickly. Boom! And there you are. You don't get to pick. I hope you get a disability you like.

I hope that DeVos realizes and appreciates that every ramp that exists; every curb cut for chair users; every handicapped bathroom she uses; every accessible seat she uses makes her predicament a bit easier; every service level desk and counter and more is available to her because people with mobility challenges, most all with far, far, far less wealth and privilege, fought long and hard and lost and fought again and again for every equal accommodation and for every piece of assistive technology, and durable medical equipment that she now uses. I hope she truly understands that disabled people must constantly fight to keep the gains they have achieved, that very much includes accessible and equal education. DeVos might even understand that the medical care she receives and the amazing but often painful rehabilitation that she must endure is available to her because other people either temporarily or permanently disabled led the way.

Maybe, just maybe, DeVos will understand that in a very big way she has failed students with disabilities. Maybe DeVos can begin make a positive difference for students with disabilities. I wish that and a speedy recovery for her.

I can ride any motorcycle like a pro that's been doing it all my life but I will never ever own or drive one on regular public roads for one simple reason: The idiots on four wheels. (or eighteen)

For what? Holding views opposite of yours?

Actually, from my vantage point, he doesn't even hold legitimate views.
Agreeing with you though, it's pretty sick to say KARMA when any of our aging population suffers a debilitating bone fracture.

Back
Top Bottom