• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeVos in wheelchair after breaking her pelvis and hip socket in bicycle mishap

12 weeks, minimum, for a clean break like what DeVos appears to have had to heal. And, that's assuming no damage to the blood vessels. If the break involved displacement of the femur head from the pelvis socket, she's looking at a hip replacement in a year's time.

I had a comminuted fracture of my femur, basically snapped the head right off of it and leaving about several pieces loose in the process. The surgeon managed to reattach it with four screws that have to be almost three inches long. The post-surgical Xray is totally cool. My luck was that there was no displacement. So, I healed up fine, in about a six months.

My wife just fractured her tib-fib right below the knee this week.
She has MS and doesn't stand or walk (in a wheelchair) so despite no spinal cord injury she is still technically a paraplegic, and you cannot put a paraplegic in a cast.

So she has THIS:

Long Beach Splint 2019.jpg

It's called a Long Beach Splint, invented at the Long Beach VA Hospital years ago.
And she will be in it for another 3-4 months, unfortunately.
If she wasn't an MS-er, she'd have better circulation and it might be two months but due to her crappy leg circulation I am guessing longer.

PS: Her tib fracture was also "communicative" as well. She had a series of X-rays this afternoon and I saw them...crikey it sure looks all kinds of awful.

(I don't know why the pic loads sideways, I didn't shoot it sideways)

She has MS and doesn't stand or walk (in a wheelchair) so despite no spinal cord injury she is still technically a paraplegic, and you cannot put a paraplegic in a cast.

So she has THIS:

View attachment 67248225

It's called a Long Beach Splint, invented at the Long Beach VA Hospital years ago.
If she wasn't an MS-er, she'd have better circulation and it might be two months but due to her crappy leg circulation I am guessing longer.

PS: Her tib fracture was also "communicative" as well. She had a series of X-rays this afternoon and I saw them...crikey it sure looks all kinds of awful.

Your wife's right foot is pretty swollen.
Perhaps elevation is needed?

I'm sure the docs will either elevate or give her stockings to push the fluid up if that's not temporary. Edema can be painful and cause stretch marks, but that's not the main concern here.

Both feet are swollen pretty badly right now.
The left leg has a clot right behind the knee, which we've been working on with medication, and the right leg (the broken one) has clots formed by the fracture.

They're going to modify her blood thinner type and dosage in the next couple of days.

Inasmuch as I do not care for her policies, I would not wish ill on her; I hope she recovers quickly.

So she has THIS:

View attachment 67248225

ouch......painful to say the least; I hope she has a speedy and pain free recovery.

Wishing the best for you both. :)

I'm sure the docs will either elevate or give her stockings to push the fluid up if that's not temporary. Edema can be painful and cause stretch marks, but that's not the main concern here.

Her chair's foot rest is able to elevate all the way to complete horizontal but that isn't possible right now with that splint>
Also our bed does all kinds of tricks, and since they are separate mattresses twinned together, she can set hers any way she wants and mine is independent and it can do tricks, too.

The whole power chair can turn almost into a La-Z-Boy recliner, and the height is also adjustable.

ouch......painful to say the least; I hope she has a speedy and pain free recovery.

Wishing the best for you both. :)

If it's anything like when she broke the other tib-fib, it won't be speedy but so far she has not had a lot of pain.

Both feet are swollen pretty badly right now.
The left leg has a clot right behind the knee, which we've been working on with medication, and the right leg (the broken one) has clots formed by the fracture.

They're going to modify her blood thinner type and dosage in the next couple of days.

Encourage your beloved to wiggle those toes if she can.
My best to you and your wife.

Not a new low at all. You must have forgotten Ruth Bader Ginsberg comments.

Nobody said anything near to what that particular poster above wrote.

You're a revisionist.

Her chair's foot rest is able to elevate all the way to complete horizontal but that isn't possible right now with that splint>
Also our bed does all kinds of tricks, and since they are separate mattresses twinned together, she can set hers any way she wants and mine is independent and it can do tricks, too.

The whole power chair can turn almost into a La-Z-Boy recliner, and the height is also adjustable.

That's good!

Your bed sounds a little like our bed. We got tired of buying a new mattress every year when my wife began to complain and we splurged on a pretty high level Sleep Number bed about 2.5 years ago. Thing is, I've deteriorated so much since then I'm the one who's more glad we got it. I may need to go for something even more serious before too long. If you have suggestions, let me know.

Encourage your beloved to wiggle those toes if she can.
My best to you and your wife.

She can't wiggle anything. Well, actually that isn't exactly true, she can move the other foot just a teensy weensy bit if she really concentrates. This foot on the other hand, is totally lifeless.
She can feel it if you poke or prick it with something but you can scratch or tickle it all day long and she feels nothing.
She has some feeling still in the shin bones, but it's uneven, and above the knees she's almost normal.

It's tricky because it's MS, not a spinal cord injury.

That's good!

Your bed sounds a little like our bed. We got tired of buying a new mattress every year when my wife began to complain and we splurged on a pretty high level Sleep Number bed about 2.5 years ago. Thing is, I've deteriorated so much since then I'm the one who's more glad we got it. I may need to go for something even more serious before too long. If you have suggestions, let me know.

This bed, I don't know the make or model, sorry to say.
It was custom made by an outfit that contracts with the VA, and the VA paid for about 75% of it because it partially fits the requirement for "durable medical equipment". If Karen had gone along with the recommendation for the VA's inflatable cushion mattress instead of memory foam, they would have paid 100%. They also paid for the electric lift in the ceiling.

To be honest, I don't know why wifey didn't go with the VA recommended mattress because back when I was still able to use VA facilities (as her spouse) I had to spend two days in the hospital and I thought their hospital mattresses were awesome.
I guess she just didn't want it too "hospital-ish", if that makes any sense?

("I don't want to turn our bedroom into a hospital.")

But sorry, the VA hospital mattresses are even better than the memory foam, LOL.

The pair of mattresses both fit inside of a traditional wooden California King bed frame arrangement so it looks like a normal bed.

Nobody said anything near to what that particular poster above wrote.

You're a revisionist.

And you seek any dribble of attention you can get. Even bad attention.

I am sure many posters here recall the wishes (hmmmm, maybe even yours come to think of it) that Ruth Bader Ginsberg be sick enough to retire her Supreme Court position. Not so sick as to die, but sick enough to retire before she planned. It was such a pleasant thought to share :roll:

Revisionist my ass.

Great to see older people exercising but scares me to think small accidents become bigger ones with age. Didn't W have a bicycle mishap during one of his morning workouts?

I am sure many posters here recall the wishes (hmmmm, maybe even yours come to think of it) that Ruth Bader Ginsberg be sick enough to retire her Supreme Court position. Not so sick as to die, but sick enough to retire before she planned. It was such a pleasant thought to share :roll:

Revisionist my ass.

Anything that can knock Betsy "Cruella deVille" deVos out of employability in her current position is fine by me.
I don't wish the old hag dead, but I do indeed wish her unable to continue the destruction of US public education by any means necessary.
Her brother, Erik "Blackwater" Prince, that guy is someone whose death I pray for daily, because it is becoming quite clear that he intends to use his considerable political mojo to privatize American military operations to the greatest extent possible, and along with it, our defense and national security apparatii.
And I've no doubt he would leap at the chance to help out with a coup/overthrow action on our shores from his comfortable retreat in Dubai where he enjoys no small amount of private security.

To me, he represents the American version of Russia's "Little Green Men" operations.

So yeah, I couldn't give a rat's ass if anyone thinks less of me for such wishes and prayers. This pair of monsters are a clear and present danger, just like their boss.

I do not understand how anyone cannot see these chess pieces being moved about the way that they are.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I've read enough posts from people that, I'm sorry to say, are typically on my side of the political aisle, and their comments in this thread are disgraceful.

Mine was 2016 as well! Bad year for hips, although it was broke the first time in 1977, in another bike wreck. In '77 it was a Triumph, 2016 was my Harley.:(

Well, I was simply sitting in my room. I had a foot entangled in something. I stood up very quickly and took off. I immediately fell on the floor. No problem, I thought. I will be able to stand up in a few minutes, I thought. I lay on the floor for about 8 hours. It finally dawned on me (and a relative who also thought that the pain would eventually subside) that it was time to call 911.

(P.S. Thanks for sharing your two experiences with me. I will NOT lecture you about the dangers of riding motorcycles!) (P.P.S. I now wear hip protectors.)

Not a new low at all. You must have forgotten Ruth Bader Ginsberg comments.

Do us all a favor and post the comment?
What is that old saying two wrongs don't make a right! For gods sake's what is wrong with some people?

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I've read enough posts from people that, I'm sorry to say, are typically on my side of the political aisle, and their comments in this thread are disgraceful.

There's a case to be made for that.

She's lucky she's not a student, after stripping disabled students of many rights to aids and assistance.

Talk about a disgrace of a comment. A new low for dp

Considering your the guy that says that female rape victims deserve to be raped, you have no high ground to stand on. There is no low that you haven't already reached.

Revisionist my ass.

Standing by what I wrote above. Nobody said anything near to what that particular poster above wrote on the RBG thread.
You didn't even try to prove it by bringing something equally offensive, you went right for the jugular.

Back
Top Bottom