• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alaskans Plead to Leave U.S. and Reunite with Russia.....

A lot of folks have been moving North from the lower 48, but the older long time folks all sympathize with the Alaskan Independence Party - they've wanted to secede from the US for some time now. This rejoining of Russia is a newer twist.

Heya CB. :2wave: The Alaskan Independent Party.....I heard those Guys were a bunch of Old Crabs.
shifty.gif

4264617.jpg

I think it is about covering the right kind of people. If people are smart, want to chase printed money their all life and want to live by their ways, then it is the west. If people are stupid, want to be exploited out of their money in a hierarchial mafia type chain, and live by the rules of the visible and powerful big boss, then it is the east.

People are happiest depending whether what they are matches with where they live. Someone who is used to be dominated with rules how to live, power, and dogma may not be as happy on our free world. We in turn are (us specifically were) suficated under their dictatorial regime, etc.

It is covering the right kind of people by using power. Democracy may not do for everyone today. Perhaps slowly tomorrow though.

Very well said! :thumbs: If all you've ever known is chaos, it's difficult to believe in anything else, I guess. Down deep, though, I think most people would like to be happy, even if it means you have to adjust your expectations downward to achieve that, but not on a "forever" basis. There is a reason why there are so many uprisings and riots today in countries that have lived under repressive regimes, be it dictators, local warlords, or an oligarchy. They don't like it, and are attempting to change it. Whether democracy will be their choice is something only time will tell us. :peace:

Well, guess :)
putin-bear.jpg

Also, the national animal of Russia is the Russian Bear. But this "tradition" of having a national animal is a recent thing.
List of national animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But there is also an historical reason.

Ever since the time of the Romanovs, Russia has been symbolized by a bear, especially in the west. I don't think we can put date on exactly when this started happening and when this symbolism took root but you know, around the 1700s or later.

Now the Russians never invited this symbolism to their country. I mean there is nothing in the Russian symbolism that hints towards a bear. The Tsarist Empire, like all western nations, had The Eagle as its symbol for the same reason the West has a lot of Eagle symbols -> because of the Romans. I mean the Tsarist flag has a Eagle. The Russian military had and has eagles. Everything is with eagles in all western countries .The USA has a lot of eagles, ofc, its' even the national animal... just like France and Germany and Italy and other countries have some Eagle as the national animal. Romania also had the eagle as national icon on our flag for a long time, now, post communism and post monarchy, it's no longer there.

But the newspapers in the western world, and hence, since Russia started westernizing in the 1700s, in Russia too, had, sometimes as light humor, sometimes as a sign of appreciation and sometimes as an insult, associated Russia with a bear. Slow to start but once it was on the move it was impossible to stop. Or if you wish to use it as an insult, a wild and clumsy animal.

nono.gif

h641BDC59

:2razz:

Some Alaskans apparently are not opposed to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s recent annexation of Crimea—in fact, they are hoping to be grabbed up next.

More than 30,000 Alaskans have signed the petition “Alaska back to Russia,” pleading that the White House allow them to secede and join their native land.
If the request garners 100,000 signatures by April 20, the White House will make an official response.

6fd1ab20-63ef-49c3-8d4c-10f3adaf1fe3.jpg

Alaska has only been a state for 55 years. Russia owned the territory until 1867, when Secretary of State William H. Seward agreed to pay $7.2 million for President Andrew Jackson’s “polar bear garden.” .....snip~

Alaskans Plead to Leave U.S. and Reunite with Russia - Sarah Jean Seman

shocked.gif
What in the hell is wrong with these people. Are they stoned?
mad.gif

I don't believe that Alaska will be rejoining Russia anytime soon.

OTOH: If Sarah Palin wants to move there, I would be glad to help her find the entrance to the exit from the USA.

I'm sure that Putin would be glad to welcome her to Russia.

Didn't Russia Legally give Crimea to the Ukraine

Sort of, not really. It was just an internal Soviet transfer. All of sudden you decide that Kruschev was OK after all?

OTOH: If Sarah Palin wants to move there, I would be glad to help her find the entrance to the exit from the USA.

I'm sure that Putin would be glad to welcome her to Russia.

Then she really will be able to see Russia from her house.

putin-bear.jpg

Also, the national animal of Russia is the Russian Bear. But this "tradition" of having a national animal is a recent thing.

Ever since the time of the Romanovs, Russia has been symbolized by a bear, especially in the west. I don't think we can put date on exactly when this started happening and when this symbolism took root but you know, around the 1700s or later.

Now the Russians never invited this symbolism to their country. I mean there is nothing in the Russian symbolism that hints towards a bear. The Tsarist Empire, like all western nations, had The Eagle as its symbol for the same reason the West has a lot of Eagle symbols -> because of the Romans. I mean the Tsarist flag has a Eagle. The Russian military had and has eagles. Everything is with eagles in all western countries .The USA has a lot of eagles, ofc, its' even the national animal... just like France and Germany and Italy and other countries have some Eagle as the national animal. Romania also had the eagle as national icon on our flag for a long time, now, post communism and post monarchy, it's no longer there.

But the newspapers in the western world, and hence, since Russia started westernizing in the 1700s, in Russia too, had, sometimes as light humor, sometimes as a sign of appreciation and sometimes as an insult, associated Russia with a bear. Slow to start but once it was on the move it was impossible to stop. Or if you wish to use it as an insult, a wild and clumsy animal.

It was very fitting under Medvedev. In Russian the word for bear is "medved." Plural is "medvedev."

Then she really will be able to see Russia from her house.

That joke doesn't work any more. She clearly saw Russia MUCH better than the Obama administration. Seriously, where's the 'reset button' now.

Using that joke, at this time, is shooting the dems in the foot.

Aint happenin brutha
nono.gif
.....you see those legs on Sarah. You know what those look like in a set of heels. .
love10.gif

I can't go for that.....No Can Do!

Exactly.

Russia did not legally invaded Crimea neither for it too was a Ukrainian area. He took it with might and money. Alaska cannot leave the USA for you will keep it with might and money.

So basically it seems might and money keeps and takes countries. Nothing new here for this is how it always was.

The powerful have more might and more money. They make a move and it is interpreted as either "liberation" or "invasion" depending on whose side you are on.

alaska was not a independent country when russia controlled it, it was unsettled territory which we bought.

Sort of, not really. It was just an internal Soviet transfer. All of sudden you decide that Kruschev was OK after all?

Were did you pull that from?

Check your history for how Crimea became part of Ukraine.

I know how it become part of the Ukraine but that doesn't answer my question.

I know how it become part of the Ukraine but that doesn't answer my question.

It became part of Ukraine when Kruschev put it there. So you like that idea of his. Was it "legally given?" I guess under the laws of the USSR it was, but the USSR wasn't exactly known for the rule of law either.

Think of it this way - 60 years ago, Kruschev drew an arbitrary line on a map, and now we're talking about "territorial integrity?"

I suggest that we just give those that want to return to Russia a hearty "good-bye and good luck on your journey" talk, and send them on their way back to Russia. I don't know if DC would be willing to let them leave, either, but that's up to them to decide.

DC has the power to prevent individuals from moving to another country and renouncing their citizenships? I had no idea. ;)

DC has the power to prevent individuals from moving to another country and renouncing their citizenships? I had no idea. ;)

They certainly have the power to prevent Alaska from leaving.

Of course anyone that wants to renounce their citizenship and move to another country may do so. Many are already doing that every year, for one reason or another. However, that is not what the article was about. These people want Russia to take, or buy, Alaska back, so they can stay right where they are. I don't see that happening.

alaska was not a independent country when russia controlled it, it was unsettled territory which we bought.

Alaska = Crimea - Both were not independent areas but part of a larger independent country.

Might and money keeps and builds countries all the same.

putin-bear.jpg

Thank you Rainman.

Albania has the eagle also BTW.

Didn't Russia Legally give Crimea to the Ukraine

No. The Soviet Union gave Crimea to Ukraine.

The Russian Soviet Republic never did. Though Russia, being the largest and most populous of the 15 or so former soviet republics is widely equated as being the "Soviet Union", they were not the same thing - at least not on paper. Russia was just another one of the member republics. Decisions for the group ie, transfering Crimea were made by the Soviet Union.

And had the Russians not sold it, I have a funny feeling that in say the chaos immediately after the Communist revolution in 1920 and with fears of communism running high in the USA, there would have been a uhmmm.... "sponsored referendum" of the pre determined out come sort where the locals would have asked / "asked" to be annexed by the United States.

The fact that Alaska probably would have had a number of anglophones would have made the referendum and annexation that much easier. In short, we probably would have "Putinized Alaska" brecause we saw the new Russian government as a communist threat.

Last edited:
The grass is always greener next door. But this is also the state that per capita generally receives more federal money than most other states. Am sure Putin would match that and more........

Of course, if these people think Obama's a dictator, they're going to love Putin's version of "Freedom."

Dumbest thread I have read here in a long time ...
..and THAT is saying something...

Back
Top Bottom