• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alaskans Plead to Leave U.S. and Reunite with Russia.....

Some Alaskans apparently are not opposed to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s recent annexation of Crimea—in fact, they are hoping to be grabbed up next.

More than 30,000 Alaskans have signed the petition “Alaska back to Russia,” pleading that the White House allow them to secede and join their native land. If the request garners 100,000 signatures by April 20, the White House will make an official response.

6fd1ab20-63ef-49c3-8d4c-10f3adaf1fe3.jpg

Alaska has only been a state for 55 years. Russia owned the territory until 1867, when Secretary of State William H. Seward agreed to pay $7.2 million for President Andrew Jackson’s “polar bear garden.” .....snip~

Alaskans Plead to Leave U.S. and Reunite with Russia - Sarah Jean Seman

shocked.gif
What in the hell is wrong with these people. Are they stoned?
mad.gif

Hopefully Obama tells these idiots that if you want to be Russians so bad then hop your happy asses on a plane or boat and go to Russia.

Hopefully Obama tells these idiots that if you want to be Russians so bad then hop your happy asses on a plane or boat and go to Russia.

Heya JR.....how bout' it. Be like telling them.....Don't let the door hit in em in the ass on the way out. :lol:

Although I am totally surprised that Sarah Palin has not sounded off on these people. I thought for sure she would want to pick out a few choice words for them.

Russia did not legally invaded Crimea neither for it too was a Ukrainian area. He took it with might and money. Alaska cannot leave the USA for you will keep it with might and money.

This actually needs to be separated and amplified.

Russia did not legally "invade", although thee can be legal invasions. WWII, the Korean War, and the liberation of Kuwait come immediately to mind.

But the bigger problem is not the invasion, as that in and of itself can be minimal (look at the many punitive invasions over the years, with no intention to gain territory but to punish a neighbor). What is more disturbing to me is the annextion of the Crimea.

As for the OP, I mostly laugh. As one person said, there are idiots in every state.

And I agree with Polgara, we should give these 30k people tickets to Russia and send them on their way. If they want to live in Russia so badly, let them go live there. But it has been shown through war and the Supreme Court that stats can't just leave the union (with only 1 possible exception).

This actually needs to be separated and amplified.

Russia did not legally "invade", although thee can be legal invasions. WWII, the Korean War, and the liberation of Kuwait come immediately to mind.

But the bigger problem is not the invasion, as that in and of itself can be minimal (look at the many punitive invasions over the years, with no intention to gain territory but to punish a neighbor). What is more disturbing to me is the annextion of the Crimea.

As for the OP, I mostly laugh. As one person said, there are idiots in every state.

And I agree with Polgara, we should give these 30k people tickets to Russia and send them on their way. If they want to live in Russia so badly, let them go live there. But it has been shown through war and the Supreme Court that stats can't just leave the union (with only 1 possible exception).

Texas?

My plan: move all the toxic waste in the country to a small portion of Alaska where most of the petition signers live and then let them be annexed by Russia.

Texas was an independent nation before it was voluntarily annexed. And the question of it's secession has long been an open question.

For example, it is the only state where "unclaimed land" was not deeded to the US Government (and through this the BLM), but the possession is retained by the state. It is also the only state in the country which has it's own self-enclosed and independent power grid.

At least on the legal end, it is theoretical that they could void the annexation legally. Not that it would be a smart thing to do, but there are many questions with legal scholars if the Republic could in the future legally repudiate the annexation.

Why is the bear associated with Russia anyway? This is becoming very common nowadays?
It started in the 17th century basically saying that Russia was big and clumsy like a bear (or how it is viewed). I dint think people really realize it's origin any more but it still lives today in animation
tim_bear_theclevelandshow_290.jpg

This is Tim the bear from a 2010 cartoon that speaks with a Russian accent.

Exactly.

Russia did not legally invaded Crimea neither for it too was a Ukrainian area. He took it with might and money. Alaska cannot leave the USA for you will keep it with might and money.

So basically it seems might and money keeps and takes countries. Nothing new here for this is how it always was.

The powerful have more might and more money. They make a move and it is interpreted as either "liberation" or "invasion" depending on whose side you are on.
I was looking at your link in your signature regarding the republic of Dardaina. You are in eastern Europe so you are a lot closer. The information we get here in the states is subject to alerting. I was wondering what you have heard about it.

Heya JR.....how bout' it. Be like telling them.....Don't let the door hit in em in the ass on the way out. :lol:

Although I am totally surprised that Sarah Palin has not sounded off on these people. I thought for sure she would want to pick out a few choice words for them.

Why would she? Some Republicans have their throats so stuffed with Putin's put-in that they may actually claim that Obama is making Americans not want to be Americans anymore.

Some Alaskans apparently are not opposed to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s recent annexation of Crimea—in fact, they are hoping to be grabbed up next.

More than 30,000 Alaskans have signed the petition “Alaska back to Russia,” pleading that the White House allow them to secede and join their native land. If the request garners 100,000 signatures by April 20, the White House will make an official response.

Alaska has only been a state for 55 years. Russia owned the territory until 1867, when Secretary of State William H. Seward agreed to pay $7.2 million for President Andrew Jackson’s “polar bear garden.” .....snip~

Are they stoned?
mad.gif

I say let 'em go! And the Russians can take Texas and the Deep South while they're at it. That way the conservatives can sing the Internationale while continuing their bromance with Putin...and we in the blue states can use our tax dollars on ourselves instead of continuing to prop up the red states since they generally get more in federal spending than they pay out in federal taxes. That way we can have our single-payer health care, do something about global warming, give all women safe and legal access to abortion, and improve education while we're at it.

I say let 'em go! And the Russians can take Texas and the Deep South while they're at it. That way the conservatives can sing the Internationale while continuing their bromance with Putin...and we in the blue states can use our tax dollars on ourselves instead of continuing to prop up the red states since they generally get more in federal spending than they pay out in federal taxes. That way we can have our single-payer health care, do something about global warming, give all women safe and legal access to abortion, and improve education while we're at it.

Yeah Glen I have heard this before.....the only trouble is. That within a Decade.....those dressed in blue would be bankrupt, broke, and then have none to protect the lot of them from the rest of the Big Bad world. :lol:

Yeah Glen I have heard this before.....the only trouble is. That within a Decade.....those dressed in blue would be bankrupt, broke, and then have none to protect the lot of them from the rest of the Big Bad world. :lol:

"Those dressed in blue would be bankrupt, broke...."

You base that claim on what, exactly? Particularly given that ALL first-world democracies generally have the same kind of high-tax, high-regulation system, dude - if your way was right, then NONE of the first-world nations would be socialized democracies. But ALL first-world democracies are socialized democracies.

Why is that, guy? And don't give me WWII or "Marshall Plan", because "WWII" would not explain Japan, Germany, South Korea, or Taiwan, and "Marshall Plan" would ignore the fact that the MP was done and over with a long, long time ago.

"Those dressed in blue would be bankrupt, broke...."

You base that claim on what, exactly? Particularly given that ALL first-world democracies generally have the same kind of high-tax, high-regulation system, dude - if your way was right, then NONE of the first-world nations would be socialized democracies. But ALL first-world democracies are socialized democracies.

Why is that, guy? And don't give me WWII or "Marshall Plan", because "WWII" would not explain Japan, Germany, South Korea, or Taiwan, and "Marshall Plan" would ignore the fact that the MP was done and over with a long, long time ago.

All you need do is Look at Chicago and Illinois, California L.A., New York New York, Michigan and a host of Major Urban cities all controlled by Democrats and the left. Failing and have been for years. In debt and on the verge of Bankruptcy. Being broke. Credit down-graded. Taxing everything but the air people breathe. Yet still can't figure it out.

Then to top it off.....The majority of the Armed Services.....Elite Services are in the South. Rangers, Special Forces, Navy Seals. Southwest would be South. So that would include Marines. Also Naval and including Nukes Subs and Carriers. So that wouldn't be to smart of a move.....now would it?

Also if you noticed.....in the World. More and more Governments are turning Conservative. Despite the let me borrow today and I'll pay you next Tuesday Liberal agenda.

All you need do is Look at Chicago and Illinois, California L.A., New York New York, Michigan and a host of Major Urban cities all controlled by Democrats and the left. Failing and have been for years. In debt and on the verge of Bankruptcy. Being broke. Credit down-graded. Taxing everything but the air people breathe. Yet still can't figure it out.

Then to top it off.....The majority of the Armed Services.....Elite Services are in the South. Rangers, Special Forces, Navy Seals. Southwest would be South. So that would include Marines. Also Naval and including Nukes Subs and Carriers. So that wouldn't be to smart of a move.....now would it?

Also if you noticed.....in the World. More and more Governments are turning Conservative. Despite the let me borrow today and I'll pay you next Tuesday Liberal agenda.

Y'know, guy, I could spend the next hour showing you the hard-and-fast numbers that show how utterly bass-ackwards your claims are...but you wouldn't believe any of the numbers I showed you regardless of where those numbers came from. Why? Because the numbers would say something 180-out from what you Just Know to be true...and therefore to your mind, the numbers must be false.

But just for your edification, New York City has about twice as many people as Louisiana...but has almost exactly the same number of murders...which means that the homicide rate in NYC is about half that of Louisiana.

Furthermore - and I know this by heart because I've looked it up so many times (and I encourage you to call my bluff) - red states generally have higher murder rates, higher divorce rates, higher teenage pregnancy rates, higher poverty rates...and lower educational attainment rates, lower health insurance coverage rates, and lower life expectancy rates than blue states. The ONLY metric that I could find where blue states are generally worse off than red states is in drug use, and that's about it.

And YES, blue states generally pay out more in federal taxes than they receive in federal spending...and red states generally receive more in federal spending than they pay out in federal taxes.

And really, guy, you're going the route of "we got more guns"? That's bordering on the puerile, don't you think?

How many of you think that some "fellow travelers" or agents of Putin set this up for propaganda purposes? Putin can tell his people about the proposed succession as a talking point saying 'see even our former province wants to rejoin Russia.

I was looking at your link in your signature regarding the republic of Dardaina. You are in eastern Europe so you are a lot closer. The information we get here in the states is subject to alerting. I was wondering what you have heard about it.

What I have heard about what? The annexation of Crimea?

The only thing mentioned here that is absent from the news you get is that there may be trading of recognitions. I made a thread about it here:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/europ...ons-unilateral-declarations-independence.html

Basically allies recognize Crimea in return for Russia to recognize Dardania. We get a seat in UN. Join with Albania and NATO with that and look onwards in making EU a nation.

This idea I have not found anywhere in your news. The narrator mentioned it in our local news.

Y'know, guy, I could spend the next hour showing you the hard-and-fast numbers that show how utterly bass-ackwards your claims are...but you wouldn't believe any of the numbers I showed you regardless of where those numbers came from. Why? Because the numbers would say something 180-out from what you Just Know to be true...and therefore to your mind, the numbers must be false.

But just for your edification, New York City has about twice as many people as Louisiana...but has almost exactly the same number of murders...which means that the homicide rate in NYC is about half that of Louisiana.

Furthermore - and I know this by heart because I've looked it up so many times (and I encourage you to call my bluff) - red states generally have higher murder rates, higher divorce rates, higher teenage pregnancy rates, higher poverty rates...and lower educational attainment rates, lower health insurance coverage rates, and lower life expectancy rates than blue states. The ONLY metric that I could find where blue states are generally worse off than red states is in drug use, and that's about it.

And YES, blue states generally pay out more in federal taxes than they receive in federal spending...and red states generally receive more in federal spending than they pay out in federal taxes.

And really, guy, you're going the route of "we got more guns"? That's bordering on the puerile, don't you think?

Mornin Glen :2wave: .....I could show you the numbers as well. But it would definitely take more than Hour. Also Chicago would make up for what the others don't have.

Moreover You didn't mention......Gangs, Organized crime and Corruption affecting the daily lives of others, and we weren't just talking about crime. Also Poverty can be broken down by City and Towns and States. Another issue with that is the Red States and their growth potential Where almost the sky is the limit. Whereas in the Blue states that past the Sky a long time ago and now have maxed out with nowhere else to go or really grow.

Well I just went with your Idea of take Texas and the South with them. So putting such into the perspective you started with. Is why I mentioned it wouldn't be such a great idea. So more or less I answered your post.

Still I am sure it would make for a good discussion.....as for this issue. its not all of Alaska in the first place. So this to me is an easy one. They want out.....don't let the door hit them in the ass on their way out.

Mornin Glen :2wave: .....I could show you the numbers as well. But it would definitely take more than Hour. Also Chicago would make up for what the others don't have.

Um, actually, no. If you'd look at the actual numbers, Chicago's 13th on the list of cities by homicide rate. The ones who have worse rates are generally evenly divided between red and blue states. Even Atlanta has a worse homicide rate than Chicago does.

Moreover You didn't mention......Gangs, Organized crime and Corruption affecting the daily lives of others, and we weren't just talking about crime.

I was tooling around, and here's the list of states ordered by meth labs found:

1. Missouri with 2779 former meth labs reportedly found.
2. Tennessee with 1580 former meth labs reportedly found.
3. Indiana with 1289 former meth labs reportedly found.
4. Arkansas with 1211 former meth labs reportedly found.
5. Kentucky with 899 former meth labs reportedly found.
6. Alabama with 855 former meth labs reportedly found.
7. Illinois with 824 former meth labs reportedly found.
8. California with 785 former meth labs reportedly found.
9. Mississippi with 745 former meth labs reportedly found.
10. Oklahoma with 722 former meth labs reportedly found.

Gee, do we see a pattern there?

Also Poverty can be broken down by City and Towns and States.

No, no, no, guy, you're missing the point completely. There's poor areas to be found in all cities, from the biggest cities down to small towns. But what you're not getting is that while in the inner cities there's significant poverty to be found, in most instances the cities themselves are such drivers of financial prosperity that a heck of a lot more people prosper because of those cities. That doesn't mean that all cities are great places - certainly not! But generally speaking, the greater the degree of urbanization, the greater the degree of prosperity...and this is true not just in America, but all over the world.

Guy, I grew up out in the sticks, out in the boonies. My school was 8 miles away over in the next county, and my graduating class was a whopping 42 students. I know what it's like to live in the country...and there's things I loved about it, still love about it to this day. But I've also known what it's like to live in small towns, moderate towns (like where I'm at now), large cities (like San Diego), and a true megalopolis (Manila, with 15M people in a space the size of the MS Delta). So I'm better suited than most to compare the ways people live in the country and the city...

...and despite all the nice things about living in the country, cities offer jobs, education, health care, and social services that simply aren't found in the country. Sorry, guy, but that's reality.

Another issue with that is the Red States and their growth potential Where almost the sky is the limit. Whereas in the Blue states that past the Sky a long time ago and now have maxed out with nowhere else to go or really grow.

The problem with your claim is that the red states have been red states since the Civil War...and I still don't see them booming. Oh, sure, Texas did fairly well...but that's in large measure due to the oil (which ain't gonna be there forever), and besides, I wouldn't want to raise my children where 41% of ALL teachers have to have second jobs in order to make ends meet.

Well I just went with your Idea of take Texas and the South with them. So putting such into the perspective you started with. Is why I mentioned it wouldn't be such a great idea. So more or less I answered your post.

Um, no, you completely missed. You're so full of stuff fed to you by right-wing media that you completely miss all the hard numbers, the hard data that prove your claims wrong.

Hard numbers, hard data, guy. Sure, you'll find some that are on the side of the red states - of course you will! But the VAST majority of the numbers are on the side of the blue states.

Still I am sure it would make for a good discussion.....as for this issue. its not all of Alaska in the first place. So this to me is an easy one. They want out.....don't let the door hit them in the ass on their way out.

And no, I really wouldn't want the red staters to go with Russia - that's just me blowing smoke. But I would seriously consider voting to allow the Deep South (including Texas) to secede so they can prove to themselves whether their way of life is the true way to prosperity.

Um, actually, no. If you'd look at the actual numbers, Chicago's 13th on the list of cities by homicide rate. The ones who have worse rates are generally evenly divided between red and blue states. Even Atlanta has a worse homicide rate than Chicago does.

I was tooling around, and here's the list of states ordered by meth labs found:

1. Missouri with 2779 former meth labs reportedly found.
2. Tennessee with 1580 former meth labs reportedly found.
3. Indiana with 1289 former meth labs reportedly found.
4. Arkansas with 1211 former meth labs reportedly found.
5. Kentucky with 899 former meth labs reportedly found.
6. Alabama with 855 former meth labs reportedly found.
7. Illinois with 824 former meth labs reportedly found.
8. California with 785 former meth labs reportedly found.
9. Mississippi with 745 former meth labs reportedly found.
10. Oklahoma with 722 former meth labs reportedly found.

Gee, do we see a pattern there?

No, no, no, guy, you're missing the point completely. There's poor areas to be found in all cities, from the biggest cities down to small towns. But what you're not getting is that while in the inner cities there's significant poverty to be found, in most instances the cities themselves are such drivers of financial prosperity that a heck of a lot more people prosper because of those cities. That doesn't mean that all cities are great places - certainly not! But generally speaking, the greater the degree of urbanization, the greater the degree of prosperity...and this is true not just in America, but all over the world.

Guy, I grew up out in the sticks, out in the boonies. My school was 8 miles away over in the next county, and my graduating class was a whopping 42 students. I know what it's like to live in the country...and there's things I loved about it, still love about it to this day. But I've also known what it's like to live in small towns, moderate towns (like where I'm at now), large cities (like San Diego), and a true megalopolis (Manila, with 15M people in a space the size of the MS Delta). So I'm better suited than most to compare the ways people live in the country and the city...

...and despite all the nice things about living in the country, cities offer jobs, education, health care, and social services that simply aren't found in the country. Sorry, guy, but that's reality.

The problem with your claim is that the red states have been red states since the Civil War...and I still don't see them booming. Oh, sure, Texas did fairly well...but that's in large measure due to the oil (which ain't gonna be there forever), and besides, I wouldn't want to raise my children where 41% of ALL teachers have to have second jobs in order to make ends meet.

Um, no, you completely missed. You're so full of stuff fed to you by right-wing media that you completely miss all the hard numbers, the hard data that prove your claims wrong.

Hard numbers, hard data, guy. Sure, you'll find some that are on the side of the red states - of course you will! But the VAST majority of the numbers are on the side of the blue states.

And no, I really wouldn't want the red staters to go with Russia - that's just me blowing smoke. But I would seriously consider voting to allow the Deep South (including Texas) to secede so they can prove to themselves whether their way of life is the true way to prosperity.

Well it may be post civil war rebellion attitude that has influenced red states to secede. But getting back to the issue I think Orthodox Christianity Churches that are loyal to Russia have been influencing the population in Alaska to secede from USA and join Russia instead.

You should watch for this. It is religious rogue party spreading pro-Russian values while hiding behind religious sites and religious content.

Of course anyone that wants to renounce their citizenship and move to another country may do so. Many are already doing that every year, for one reason or another. However, that is not what the article was about. These people want Russia to take, or buy, Alaska back, so they can stay right where they are. I don't see that happening.

Pending a horrific economic spiral, I don't see it happening either. I cannot help but wonder if this is more of a political statement rather than an actual effort to leave the US.

6fd1ab20-63ef-49c3-8d4c-10f3adaf1fe3.jpg

Alaskans Plead to Leave U.S. and Reunite with Russia - Sarah Jean Seman

shocked.gif
What in the hell is wrong with these people. Are they stoned?
mad.gif

I'd sleep much easier knowing that Alaska's delicate environment was under Putin's protection than under, well, . . .

tumblr_lem37gENhS1qg5ib1o1_400.jpg

FYI, he's just crying because rex tillerson didn't give him his milk bottle.

Back
Top Bottom