• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Advocates on Racist Names

Change all the names deemed offensive

• Nope that's not the answer

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Yep, it's about time

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • It doesn't really matter

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
Very thoughtful and polite response. You're a model poster.
model poster? are in the hooch? lol
kidding aside, thank you

and yes ill will talk to anybody and anybody that conducts themselves like an honest human being whether we agree or not but i wouldn't say im a model poster. I like toying with trolls and liars too much, I like pulling their strings and watching them half meltdowns and that can crap up a thread at times. 🤷‍♂️
I guess I'm a little more cynical and jaded. We'll have to agree to disagree. :)
I have no problem with disagreeing and there's nothing wrong with cynical . . just dont let it control you ;)

Oh, didn't you get the memo, everything is about racism and sexism and all the other isms, ad nauseam. We're no longer individuals, part of the greater society, we're all labels and SJW's.
So this post is about race baiting again huh...

Did anyone actually poll Romani people to find out if they care about the term "Gypsy moth"?

I bet the ratio of annoying white people pretending to care to score woke points, to Romani who are actually offended by this term, is at least 1,000 to 1.

Last edited:
I can't think of any names of animals or plants that are racist. I mean, black and white anything in the world of biology denotes an identifying trait, right?? Aside from which, technically speaking, the authentic names of just about everything are in Latin. Thanks!!

Who decided that Yellow Tuna were scared?

Actually the "Yellow Tuna" weighs 600 tons, has 17 legs, and flies (using expelled flatus as propulsion). After all, all things are true of the empty class and there not being any such thing as a "Yellow Tuna".

Now, on the other hand, the Finns have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the "Yellow Fin Tuna" (and aren't cowardly at that).

It was called a Jewfish because it consumed all the resources and disproportionately dominated a habitat.

What kind of a person would think that is okay? Who lets that slide. You know. But you're gonna support nazis, huh? Okay, be a nazi supporter. I get it. Fish names are very important to you and if you gotta support nazis to keep one then that's what you gotta do. You have priorities.

No one would ever imagine your priority is to support nazis. No, of course not. Your priority is to keep fish names. That's all.

"It was called a Jewfish because ..."?

I guess that these people simply didn't know what they were was talking about when they wrote

"There are several theories for how the jewfish (Promicrops itaiara), an Atlantic saltwater grouper with fins and scales, got its name. It may derive from the Italian “giupesce,” which means “bottom fish,” or may have originally been named “jawfish” for its large mouth. A less flattering theory is that in the 1800s, jewfish were declared inferior and only fit for Jews."​

Thank you for playing the "Let's Perpetuate Ignorance" game.

"It was called a Jewfish because ..."?

I guess that these people simply didn't know what they were was talking about when they wrote

"There are several theories for how the jewfish (Promicrops itaiara), an Atlantic saltwater grouper with fins and scales, got its name. It may derive from the Italian “giupesce,” which means “bottom fish,” or may have originally been named “jawfish” for its large mouth. A less flattering theory is that in the 1800s, jewfish were declared inferior and only fit for Jews."​

Thank you for playing the "Let's Perpetuate Ignorance" game.

You have no idea wtf you're talking about, do you?

Did anyone actually poll Romani people to find out if they care about the term "Gypsy moth"?

I bet the ratio of annoying white people pretending to care to score woke points, to Romani who are actually offended by this term, is at least 1,000 to 1.

There are very few things that Gorgers do that "offend" the Romani.

For one thing they all know who the actual superior people are, and, for another, those who actually do manage to "offend" one of them seldom get the opportunity to do so a second time.

Only quoting what those who have made a study of the matter have said.

I'm sorry that it doesn't confirm your bias.

You provided a bs source to apologize for antisemitism and attempt the perpetuation of bigotry. You're not fooling me. I fished for years. I know why it was called a Jewfish. So take your stupid website and apologism for bigotry elsewhere.

Gaslighting bigoted bs. Do you spend all day apologizing for nazis or just the afternoon?

-- Bugs, birds, fish and plants with names linked to white supremacists may be renamed, as science confronts its own ties to systemic racism.

"We know that changing bird names is not going to fix racism as much as I wish it would. But we're working on removing this one brick, that is part of this huge thing we need to deal with," Jordan Rutter, a co-founder of Bird Names for Birds, told Axios.

Is this being socially sensitive or a little absurd?

Being "woke" to me is beginning to become the author of confusion and self-congratulatory, political correctness, not anything meaningfully constructive. If I thought changing the names of bugs, birds, fish, plants, sports teams, etc would really accomplish anything, I'd support it. But you can't alter or erase past mistakes by whitewashing the present.

Current and active acts of prejudice and racism should be addressed but we need reminders of our past in order not to repeat those mistakes. US history is a mixture of a rich and diverse culture where some pejorative names were used, and historical figures committed atrocious offenses and were less than enlightened. Let the past be the past and focus our energies on fixing today's real problems, like police using excessive force, immigration, voting, infrastructure, pandemic measures, etc.
Seems like a symbolic gesture. It matters only as much as the gesture matters. Of course it won't solve real world issues. But it is a way to establish and normalize a cultural position on a subject that to this very day not enough Americans seem to fully support.

You're not letting anything. It was a slam dunk and you need to stow that "I just like fish names" bs.
It was. I had no idea why it was called that.

Actually the "Yellow Tuna" weighs 600 tons, has 17 legs, and flies (using expelled flatus as propulsion). After all, all things are true of the empty class and there not being any such thing as a "Yellow Tuna".

Now, on the other hand, the Finns have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the "Yellow Fin Tuna" (and aren't cowardly at that).
Did you just make fun of me for leaving out the word Fin? LOL

Seems like a symbolic gesture. It matters only as much as the gesture matters. Of course it won't solve real world issues. But it is a way to establish and normalize a cultural position on a subject that to this very day not enough Americans seem to fully support.

There's too much meaningless virtue signalling like this already occurring as part of an idealistic political philosophy, not to really accomplish anything positive.

-- Bugs, birds, fish and plants with names linked to white supremacists may be renamed, as science confronts its own ties to systemic racism.

"We know that changing bird names is not going to fix racism as much as I wish it would. But we're working on removing this one brick, that is part of this huge thing we need to deal with," Jordan Rutter, a co-founder of Bird Names for Birds, told Axios.

Being "woke" to me is beginning to become the author of confusion and self-congratulatory, political correctness, not anything meaningfully constructive. If I thought changing the names of bugs, birds, fish, plants, sports teams, etc would really accomplish anything, I'd support it. But you can't alter or erase past mistakes by whitewashing the present.

Current and active acts of prejudice and racism should be addressed but we need reminders of our past in order not to repeat those mistakes. US history is a mixture of a rich and diverse culture where some pejorative names were used, and historical figures committed atrocious offenses and were less than enlightened. Let the past be the past and focus our energies on fixing today's real problems, like police using excessive force, immigration, voting, infrastructure, pandemic measures, etc.
For me, it's kind of a "sure why not". If the names are considered pejorative to a certain, group, maybe we ought to change the names. If nothing else, it will put us in better standing with those groups.

I once owned a very high dollar registered Black Labrador retriever. Hunting stock, not show dog. His registration lineage went way, way back. You would be amazed and some of you quite offended by the dog names on that list. Lots of champions, though.

I chuckled when PETA demanded they rename Fishkill, NY............. In the Dutch langauge Kill means creek. There are dozens of names ending in kill in upstate New York..

"Bugs, birds, fish and plants with names linked to white supremacists" I had no idea that any bugs or birds are called The Dumb Fuqs.

How about those with names linked to "non-white supremacists"? Are those still going to be OK?

And how about those with names linked to "traitors to and/or enemies oft he United States of America"? Do those have to go as well?

And how about those with names linked to "exploiters of the people"? Do those have to go as well?

Wouldn't it be a whole lot simpler to just toss out ALL of the names and give everything a number?

I mean doesn't "I just flew in from 3490459012 on 38576492 airlines and I have a two hour layover before I can catch my flight to 678899232 where I am going to a biologist's seminar to discuss the relationship between 239873947 and 5968756078." make much more sense that putting those horrid "names" into it?

How about those with names linked to "non-white supremacists"? Are those still going to be OK?

And how about those with names linked to "traitors to and/or enemies oft he United States of America"? Do those have to go as well?

And how about those with names linked to "exploiters of the people"? Do those have to go as well?

Wouldn't it be a whole lot simpler to just toss out ALL of the names and give everything a number?

I mean doesn't "I just flew in from 3490459012 on 38576492 airlines and I have a two hour layover before I can catch my flight to 678899232 where I am going to a biologist's seminar to discuss the relationship between 239873947 and 5968756078." make much more sense that putting those horrid "names" into it?
I didn't make myself clear. Leave the names alone. If Black Bird is not to someone's liking...suck it up and worry about things that actually matter.

For me, it's kind of a "sure why not". If the names are considered pejorative to a certain, group, maybe we ought to change the names. If nothing else, it will put us in better standing with those groups.

Most minorities could probably care less about names that aren't directly used on them. It's a bunch of goody-goody caucasians stirring up this stink.

Try harder to say something worthwhile on the topic and not about me. I'm fine with sensible changes but this cancel-erase-rename crap does nothing positive for society, and only increases the sense of division.
Yep, the reason you hate liberals so much is the fish got its name changed. That's the reason for the division. Not the ****ing coup attempt.

Most minorities could probably care less about names that aren't directly used on them. It's a bunch of goody-goody caucasians stirring up this stink.
What's the downside of doing it?

Yet another, "white identity politics thread". Why?

It's happening in spite of you, get out of the way! You are not a victim. Stop acting like you are, its creepy enough observing Trump constantly play the victim, without having his entire cult posturing similarly!

Long overdue...

Montgomery’s St. John’s Episcopal Puts “Jeff Davis” Pew in Storage​

David was a member for a few months, before the Confederate Capital moved to Richmond.​

Posted: Feb 9, 2019 6:00 PM CST

1627965597878.jpeg

The Jefferson David pew at St. Johns Episcopal Church in Montgomery, marked with cross finials and a brass plaque that was installed till long after the Civil War ended.

Church Rector Robert C. Wisnewski, Jr. sent a message to his congregation including this:

The pew was not recognized formally or dedicated to Davis’ memory until 1925. At the dedication of the pew, on Pentecost Sunday, a controversial politician and outspoken proponent of segregation from Tennessee, John Trotwood Moore, addressed the congregation. Moore had gained national attention by filibustering in Congress against an anti-lynching bill. Lynchings had become so frequent in the 1920s that Congress sought a way to outlaw them. Moore stood for lynching.
...."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom