• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why do pro lifers hate the word ZEF so much? [W:328]

I seldom get into the abortion debate as I tend to see both sides of the issue to some degree, but I see the use of the term ZEF as indicating a person who is childish and extreme.

It strikes me much as the word "lifestyle" does when discussing gay issues in that it indicates a close-minded individual long on propagandizing framing techniques and short on understanding.

The baby? I thought it was just pro lifers who were all rapists?

That is what I thought, but apparently if it's unwanted it's raping the mother every second it's allowed to stay inside her. Be aware, we got unborn rapists raping like mad for nine months.

Threads like this make me really appreciate the community. Well done. All that needs to be said was said. "ZEF" is ignorant and horrible.

Exactly, it's easier for you to rationalize your beliefs when you dehumanize the victim.

Show me the evidence that scientists can grow a mammalian blastocyst into an embryo, an embryo into a fetus, and a fetus into a viable fetus that can be removed from some lab container and live as a born premie does without any implantation into a live female with a uterus.

If you could show that the live female body is completely unnecessary except for production of the ovum, I might be at least skeptical of my current view. But if you do not have such evidence (and you don't), don't try to project on a zygote what is not inherent in it.

Release of a human ovum from biological connection to a woman's body results in a human ovum with a pitifully short life of its own. But it can be kept frozen for a long time, I admit.

Human spermatic fertilization of a live human ovum results in a human zygote that can grow into a human blastocyst, live a pitifully short life as a human blastocyst, and die the natural death of a human blastocyst. But it can be kept frozen for a long time, I admit.

Implantation of a human blastocyst into the uterus of a live woman results in a human body part of the woman which her life can sustain and grow because it is biologically connected to the rest of her live body, and it can live as part of her body for as long as nine months. But if you remove it, either before or after viability, it can't live through being frozen.

Childbirth, the removal and biological disconnection of a viable fetus from a woman's body, results in a live human being with a life of its own that it can live for as long as 100 years and more. But it can't live through being frozen.

Like so many others, you are overestimating the human male contribution to human sexual reproduction.

Last edited:
Show me the evidence that scientists can grow a mammalian blastocyst into an embryo, an embryo into a fetus, and a fetus into a viable fetus that can be removed from some lab container and live as a born premie does without any implantation into a live female with a uterus.

If you could show that the live female body is completely unnecessary except for production of the ovum, I might be at least skeptical of my current view. But if you do not have such evidence (and you don't), don't try to project on a zygote what is not inherent in it.

Release of a human ovum from biological connection to a woman's body results in a human ovum with a pitifully short life of its own. But it can be kept frozen for a long time, I admit.

Human spermatic fertilization of a live human ovum results in a human zygote that can grow into a human blastocyst, live a pitifully short life as a human blastocyst, and die the natural death of a human blastocyst. But it can be kept frozen for a long time, I admit.

Implantation of a human blastocyst into the uterus of a live woman results in a human body part of the woman which her life can sustain and grow because it is biologically connected to the rest of her live body, and it can live as part of her body for as long as nine months. But if you remove it, either before or after viability, it can't live through being frozen.

Childbirth, the removal and biological disconnection of a viable fetus from a woman's body, results in a live human being with a life of its own that it can live for as long as 100 years and more. But it can't live through being frozen.

It's not really surprising you describe birth as if it was sawing off a woman's arm that magically after severed becomes a living being. There is no biological difference whatsoever in the brain or the heart that occurs when the ambilical cord is cut. Individual personalities in twins, for example, can already be seen in the womb in their behavioral patterns.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I could be thinking of someone else, but weren't you the one that is against post-viability abortions? If so, why? It's an inanimate object until the exact moment the cord is cut.

Like so many others, you are overestimating the human male contribution to human sexual reproduction.

Wtf does that mean and how is that related to you wanting to kill a baby and I don't?

Last edited:
It's not really surprising you describe birth as if it was sawing off a woman's arm that magically after severed becomes a living being. There is no biological difference whatsoever in the brain or the heart that occurs when the ambilical cord is cut. Individual personalities in twins, for example, can already be seen in the womb in their behavioral patterns.

Respiratory, circulatory, digestive/gastrointestinal, and immune systems all change radically in their functioning at birth - A review of some:

The change in respiration with the first breath includes draining or absorption of amniotic fluid that has filled the lungs before, and the lungs now work on their own to obtain oxygen. This is related to circulatory changes especially through the heart.

There is increased systemic arterial pressure which reverses the flow through the ductus arteriosus and the latter withers and closes, and the foramen ovale also closes, so fetal circulatory patterns disappear.

The immune system of the fetus is the opposite of the newborn - it does not protect the fetus at all, but rather keeps it open to everything. From the moment of birth, this openness is reversed so the system starts to work to protect the newborn.

The gastrointestinal system is not functioning fully until after birth.

At birth, the liver has new functions and the kidneys become able to maintain the body's fluid/electrolyte balance.

Fetal temperature regulation is a function of the pregnant woman: she maintains its homeostasis. But at birth, this changes - maintaining its own homeostasis, the newborn starts to burn off stores of fetal brown fat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I could be thinking of someone else, but weren't you the one that is against post-viability abortions? If so, why? It's an inanimate object until the exact moment the cord is cut.

I never said that I was against post-viability abortions, but that I supported Roe v Wade in allowing states to ban abortion after viability except in cases of imminent threat to the woman's life and major health functions, though I would add serious fetal defects, even though it is possible that the health exception for the woman may cover most of those cases.

I never said the fetus was an inanimate object until the cord is cut. I said that, by virtue of its biological connection to the woman's body and dependence on that biological connection for life and growth, the fetus was not a separate human life. Birth is the separation of the fetus. The physiological changes that occur as the fetus comes out and is out, even before the cord is cut, make the biological connection unnecessary. The physiological systems all change - they function differently, and in the case of the heart, there are structural changes related to circulatory change, as noted above.

Wtf does that mean and how is that related to you wanting to kill a baby and I don't?

I don't think an embryo or fetus is a baby. I do think the aim of abortion is removal of the embryo or fetus, not the causing of its death, and that, prior to viability, abortion does not kill it, but rather results in its ceasing to receive life from the woman, so that it dies. The issue is not taking an embryo's life away from it, but ending the woman's continuously giving part of her life to an embryo that wouldn't have more life otherwise.

You, on the other hand, seem to believe that the blastocyst has its own life like a neonate and would therefore go on living if it were in a petri dish if just given oxygen-rich nutrient there, as if the woman merely provided such nutrient, and that is not the case. The blastocyst has a short natural life span that draws to its end until it implants and lives as a part of a larger organism.

The human male contribution to reproduction is to transform an ovum into a zygote that can grow into a morula and a blastocyst. But the human female contribution is not just to provide the ovum that can be thus transformed. It is also, in pregnancy, to sustain a blastocyst as part of a woman's body and grow it into a human organism that can be a human being/person.

I don't want to kill babies. But because this human female contribution of pregnancy involves a woman's own body, blood, and life growing into a human being what cannot otherwise become one, I think a woman should have a right to decide on the basis of conscience and reason whether or not she should allow her body, blood, and life to do that or continue to do that in each pregnancy she has.

I do not think that a bunch of strangers in a legislature should prevent the woman from deciding one way or the other, because it is not their bodies, their blood, and their life that are doing that. To me, the behavior of a person's body and life is supposed to be under the sovereign control of the mind capable of conscience and reason directly connected to them.

For the government to deprive someone of that control over her own body and life is like the government forcing a person's body and life to speak words he or she may or may not believe in, or to worship in a religion he or she may not believe in, or to perform an act that genuinely violates his or her conscience, on pain of going to prison. I don't want to live in or be a citizen of a country that does that to people. I think it's disgusting.

Last edited:
I seldom get into the abortion debate as I tend to see both sides of the issue to some degree, but I see the use of the term ZEF as indicating a person who is childish and extreme.

It strikes me much as the word "lifestyle" does when discussing gay issues in that it indicates a close-minded individual long on propagandizing framing techniques and short on understanding.

Oh my god! *waves frantically* Someone I can ask about this and maybe get a somewhat intellectually honest answer. 'Cause seriously, I'm confused, and all I get from the anti regulars here is "IT'S HATE SPEECH! UNBORN ARE PEOPLES!" like they expect me to call them by the name they don't even have or something.

Why is "ZEF" immature or propogandizing any more than "fetus"? It's just a shorthand to cover all the stages that are possibly relevant to the abortion discussion. Would it somehow not be "close-minded" if we were to type, "zygote, embryo, fetus" every single time?

You're right. I forgot growth and tumor. Oh and felon (seriously, I've actually seen an argument that developing babies are committing felony assault).

You also forgot "garbage." Before the unborn-as-rapist theory was unveiled, there was "garbage."

What is a bigot is a person who posts the racist slur you just did and do so incessantly on the forum. THAT is the definition of a bigot and EVERYONE knows so.

A white man who continuously spouts out racist bigot slurs predictably would be 100% also predictably spout out every bigoted slur against women too.

Oh my god! *waves frantically* Someone I can ask about this and maybe get a somewhat intellectually honest answer. 'Cause seriously, I'm confused, and all I get from the anti regulars here is "IT'S HATE SPEECH! UNBORN ARE PEOPLES!" like they expect me to call them by the name they don't even have or something.

Why is "ZEF" immature or propogandizing any more than "fetus"? It's just a shorthand to cover all the stages that are possibly relevant to the abortion discussion. Would it somehow not be "close-minded" if we were to type, "zygote, embryo, fetus" every single time?

The problem I have is that nobody calls it a zygote, embryo, fetus, zef, other than people advocating abortions. Most humans, when they or someone in their family is pregnant, call it exactly what it is, a baby.

The problem I have is that nobody calls it a zygote, embryo, fetus, zef, other than people advocating abortions. Most humans, when they or someone in their family is pregnant, call it exactly what it is, a baby.

BS. Anyone with even the tiniest degree of intellectual honesty, on either side, calls it, most often, "fetus," but sometimes "embryo," depending on WHAT IT IS.

You are basically accusing research medicine of being a hate group. Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?

Do the anti-choice call it "unborn baby stem cell research," or do they call it "embryonic stem cell research?

You also forgot "garbage." Before the unborn-as-rapist theory was unveiled, there was "garbage."

Of course it's garbage, these demanding little parasites that go around raping and assaulting women. The only good "ZEF" is a dead one and if it's destruction happens a little after it's born, no biggie, that's the price it pays for being all those terrible things for nine months.

Of course it's garbage, these demanding little parasites that go around raping and assaulting women. The only good "ZEF" is a dead one and if it's destruction happens a little after it's born, no biggie, that's the price it pays for being all those terrible things for nine months.

That really is how a few view the unborn, but luckily, only a few. Why "luckily"? Because regarding the unborn in this way is a pathology.

BS. Anyone with even the tiniest degree of intellectual honesty, on either side, calls it, most often, "fetus," but sometimes "embryo," depending on WHAT IT IS.

You are basically accusing research medicine of being a hate group. Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?

Do the anti-choice call it "unborn baby stem cell research," or do they call it "embryonic stem cell research?

Did I say that isn't what it was called? No, what I said was people referring to it that way 9 times out of 10 are advocating abortion. Let's not talk about the medical field, let's talk about every day people. A woman won't call what is inside of her a fetus, she calls it a baby. Why do you think that is?

That really is how a few view the unborn, but luckily, only a few. Why "luckily"? Because regarding the unborn in this way is a pathology.

You're probably right (ok, I know you are) but such sentiments are not exactly uncommon in this forum.

Did I say that isn't what it was called? No, what I said was people referring to it that way 9 times out of 10 are advocating abortion. Let's not talk about the medical field, let's talk about every day people. A woman won't call what is inside of her a fetus, she calls it a baby. Why do you think that is?

"When is your fetus due?"

"How are you feeling?" "I feel great, and the doctor says our fetus is growing right on schedule."

"You're invited to a fetus shower!"

Actually I've known lots of women who just refer to themselves as just "pregnant" and that they're "going to have a baby." You're right, I don't hear "fetus" much, in the same way guys don't refer to them as "testicles" in casual conversation. But plenty of pregnant women understand the difference between a fetus and a baby, and recognize it in casual speech.

However, when having debates where people often talk about gestation landmarks, precise wording is necessary.

Actually I've known lots of women who just refer to themselves as just "pregnant" and that they're "going to have a baby." You're right, I don't hear "fetus" much, in the same way guys don't refer to them as "testicles" in casual conversation. But plenty of pregnant women understand the difference between a fetus and a baby, and recognize it in casual speech.

However, when having debates where people often talk about gestation landmarks, precise wording is necessary.

And don't forget since the possibility of miscarriages can happen, some women don't put in emotional investment until after birth.

That's where you are wrong. Honest women believe they have a baby inside of them, because they do.

And don't forget since the possibility of miscarriages can happen, some women don't put in emotional investment until after birth.

Yup. A lot of women don't even announce it until they're past the "danger zone" where miscarriages are common.

A woman I know had a kid recently, and refered to the ultrasound pictures of looking and feeling kind of like an alien. She loves her kid, but she knows that it wasn't a kid early on.

Yup. A lot of women don't even announce it until they're past the "danger zone" where miscarriages are common.

A woman I know had a kid recently, and refered to the ultrasound pictures of looking and feeling kind of like an alien. She loves her kid, but she knows that it wasn't a kid early on.

Shows her ignorance.

So true, SAM...

Along with your comments...what gets me is that if the word "baby" is used in lieu of fetus or fetus in utero... pro-birth advocates use that as an opportunity for an "AH HAH - GOTCHA" moment.

You are absolutely right...although "baby" is jargon for a lot of woman...and not all. I would have to believe that most women do indeed the genuine differences between fetus and baby.

Back
Top Bottom