• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who Will Blink First?

Who Will Blink First?

• House

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • Senate

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • POTUS

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Senate/POTUS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MarineTpartier

Haters gon' hate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
House
Senate
POTUS

One of them or a combo of the Senate and POTUS will have to blink first. It has to end at some point. Not really looking for any debate about it. Just wondering what everyone thinks about it.

House
Senate
POTUS

One of them or a combo of the Senate and POTUS will have to blink first. It has to end at some point. Not really looking for any debate about it. Just wondering what everyone thinks about it.
Knowing how weak Obama has been, he will probably forfeit.

Truthfully.... My prediction is that the Repubs will cave in. Obama is pushing hard that all of this is their fault. On Facebook he even posted something akin to what extreme partisan hacks devoid of a logical analysis of the situation would say. Instead of being in the House chamber he is campaigning as to why the Repubs are evil. He gets more air time, he gets more listeners, so eventually I think Americans will begin to "blame" Republicans forcing them to cave in to save themselves politically.

On the flip side though I hope I'm wrong, and I think if the Republicans are active about getting their reasons, message, and facts that they have sent in numberous resolutions that were struck down by party lines in the Senate with a promised veto by Obama they can discuss how really they aren't the ones driving the shut down and that they have put good effort forward to pass bills that Obama and Senate Dems rejected.

While I realize that new 'products' often have 'kinks' the acceptability of such is limited given the unlimited resources the Federal government and the hype building up how 'good' the exchanges were to be. So far after three days and NUMEROUS attempts I have yet to get to any information. Many are predicting the 'shutdown' to last a few weeks. If the accessibility of the online exchanges continues to be an issue over this period the POTUS/Senate MAY agree to a CR that includes a 1 year delay in the individual mandate in an attempt to remediate the apprehension created by these 'glitches'. Lack of participation may also motivate such a maneuver. BUT if these get worked out OR enrollment is vigorous in the next few days POTUS/Senate will remain resolute and the House will concede as they have no plan/power going forward. Essentially the only way POTUS/Senate concedes is if they see it advantageous for themselves with complete disregard to the effect on the House.

I want someone to slap some sense into all of them for acting like children, but probably House will blink first.

Obama isn't going to compromise, and he's hoping the Republicans won't either. His intentions are to raise the debt limit himself, contrary to the Constitution, thereby changing the balance and relationship between the branches of government, and it's all very intentional.

Truthfully.... My prediction is that the Repubs will cave in. Obama is pushing hard that all of this is their fault. On Facebook he even posted something akin to what extreme partisan hacks devoid of a logical analysis of the situation would say. Instead of being in the House chamber he is campaigning as to why the Repubs are evil. He gets more air time, he gets more listeners, so eventually I think Americans will begin to "blame" Republicans forcing them to cave in to save themselves politically.

On the flip side though I hope I'm wrong, and I think if the Republicans are active about getting their reasons, message, and facts that they have sent in numberous resolutions that were struck down by party lines in the Senate with a promised veto by Obama they can discuss how really they aren't the ones driving the shut down and that they have put good effort forward to pass bills that Obama and Senate Dems rejected.

Really? I'll be surprised if congress caves although I understand thinking that because the media has been harsh towards them. On the other hand, Obama, a great POTUS in my opinion, is still a bit of a sellout at times.

Knowing how weak Obama has been, he will probably forfeit.

He certainly has in the past, but it looks like he finally learned his lesson. I don't think he's going to give in on this one. Which will likely make it a long time before someone blinks.

He certainly has in the past, but it looks like he finally learned his lesson. I don't think he's going to give in on this one. Which will likely make it a long time before someone blinks.

I hope he doesn't, but with him you never know in my opinion.

House
Senate
POTUS

I think the House will, it seems to me that some in the house are looking towards the Democrats to provide them with a way out of the mess they created.

A former Ohio House Repub member, LaTourette, floated some good stuff on Matthews.
Keystone, which will enrage Obama's base, but he is resigned to it will help Boehner.
The medical device tax, which 76 Senators voted against is a good choice.
The Dems accepting 986 Billion for the 6-month CR with some Dem Farm stuff--not sure
There were more.
He quit last year over the extremist element and was well-spoken and allowed to speak.
I think the House will, it seems to me that some in the house are looking towards the Democrats to provide them with a way out of the mess they created.

Lets see someone with cajones really shut down the government. Not this publicity stunt of shutting down Yellowstone and the WWII Memorial but the whole damn system. Shut down the military overseas and bring em home as we can't afford it any longer. Also shut down the Federal Protective Service that protects congress and then see who blinks first.

I think the house will blink first. Enough republicans don't support fighting Obamacare this way that they'll eventually push Boehner to allow a vote on a clean spending bill, which will pass.

Lets see someone with cajones really shut down the government. Not this publicity stunt of shutting down Yellowstone and the WWII Memorial but the whole damn system. Shut down the military overseas and bring em home as we can't afford it any longer. Also shut down the Federal Protective Service that protects congress and then see who blinks first.

I thought about this too. I think the threat of a government shutdown would be far more effective if they were actually shutting down things that matter.

I thought about this too. I think the threat of a government shutdown would be far more effective if they were actually shutting down things that matter.

The politicians are like the angry spoiled child who is mad he can't have a new toy so shouts he is going to destroy all his toys then rushed off to his bedroom and destroys only the toys he doesn't want. But in the corner of his closet is his favorite untouched toys.

Only a moron would vote again for this whole lot of spoiled children. I realize there may be one or two good politicians in the lot but it is not worth the time and energy to sort those few out and best to throw the whole lot out.

Along these lines, I believe the GOP already blinked when they passed the military funding in the House. If they were serious about forcing the issue, they wouldn't have released the most important hostage.

BEGIN to blame Republicans? Where have you been for the last 3 days Digs.....the American people overwhelmingly see the extortionist games the GOP is playing are are not buying it. In what world are Republican, namely the teabaggers not driving this shutdown?

The public sentiment that the GOP mistakenly thought would come their way never developed. Now they are between a rock and a hard place trying to figure out how they can save face and come out of this with the least amount of damage possible. All that is left here is for the GOP to curl up their tails bury their heads and crawl back home.

The House has to blink first.
Obamacare is a settled Law. The House has no business trying to debate or negotiate a settled Law that has nothing do to with passing a CR or the Debt Ceiling.
If Obamacare was already a part of the negotiations, this entire situation would be different and Democrats would be equally to blame.
But as it stands, this entire thing is a complete bull**** scenario fabricated by House Republicans. They want to negotiate for something that is not even part of the topic of negotiation to begin with.
And they will fail.

House
Senate
POTUS

The fact you make a thread about who will blink first, highlights, just how polarized America has become.

Paul

I'd refine it a bit. Most Republicans don't want this fight. It is a handful of very 'safe' very right wing Congressmen who's districts are gerrymandered to be bullet proof from democrat contenders and got the seat by being Tea Party right wing 'purists'. They are on the horns of a dilemma. Show ANY compromise and a new radical right pretender will depose him. The GOP senate support is a mile wide and a coat of paint deep.

The TPs are attempting to get through the back door what they couldn't get through the front door. Their idea of 'compromise' is to cherry pick what parts of the budget they want to see continued and leave the ACA behind.

Typical CON game, they refuse to see ANYTHING they disagree with as legitimate. We see this all the time in the 2nd A debates where some hyperpartisans refuse to see those who disagree with them as 'real' Americans.

You have to resort to the CON dictionary to understand what the TPs want- when they say the President must come to them and 'negotiate', what they mean is the President must crawl to them and give them all they want.

Not gonna happen.

Is funny to see CONs claiming President Obama caves in so much when they also claim he is THE MOST abusive of the Constitution, and call him 'KING', "TYRANT', 'The Chosen One'... and all that crap....

Bipolar CON politics.... :roll:

House
Senate
POTUS

I say the house.The mainstream media has their mouths around the democrat party's ****.The mainstream media is placing blame solely on the republicans.Low information voters listen to the mainstream media and therefore will be influenced by mainstream media and will start calling their elected officials to cave.

From Fox News:

White House disavows quote that 'it doesn't really matter' how long impasse lasts

Published October 04, 2013

FoxNews.com

WASHINGTON – The White House is pushing back on a reported comment by a senior administration official that it doesn't matter how long the partial government suspension lasts.

On Friday, the Wall Street Journal quoted a senior administration official who said, "We are winning. ... It doesn't really matter to us" how long the partial shutdown lasts "because what matters is the end result."

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney later tweeted: "We utterly disavow idea WH doesn't care when it ends. House should act now, no strings."

But by then, the WSJ quote had already become fodder for Republicans.

read more:

White House disavows quote that 'it doesn't really matter' how long impasse lasts | Fox News

Back
Top Bottom