• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White James Bond to be replaced by a black James Bond

Huckleberry Finn was fiction, but somehow casting Jim as a white escaped slave in 19th Century America wouldn't have cut it.
It's fiction where a spy runs around and screws women and saves the world.

So exactly like Huckleberry Finn.

Huckleberry Finn was fiction, but somehow casting Jim as a white escaped slave in 19th Century America wouldn't have cut it.
That you cant figure out the glaring difference is somewhat troubling to me.

James Bond has been through entirely too much shit to assume it was ever one person with that mantle. That is issue one. Issue two would be the fact that the only reason we have always seen Bond as a white guy is when the movies started being made. It was rare to see leading black men in those days. That all having been said, if you really think that the guy that Connery and Dalton played were supposed to be the same human being, you are deluded. The only reason it was acceptable for Roger Moore to become Bond was because it was hardly believeable that one man could have possibly pulled off ALL of those missions. There never would have been time to make all the needed arrangements in all of the places he was, and its basically impossible that his cover wouldnt have eventually been blown considering the sheer number of bad dudes he came in contact with.

Since that is the real likelihood, how about we just get over this?

How so? You don’t think a story can develop about a white private Detective who is hired to find a wealthy mans daughter who was kidnapped? White private detectives don’t exist?

Rather than being lazy plop a black person in a Bond role, I think it would be better to develop a new character with their own story and franchise.
The whole point of Shaft is that he’s black. Some stories require a certain nationality/culture/race. There’s plenty of ehite private detective stuff. Shaft is shaft because he’s a black PI.

Bond is a British spy and his main attribute besides being british is his refined taste. Gorgeous women, nice cars, well dressed etc. Idris Elba would be the best bond since Connery

You did not complain when one actor was replaced by the next before. Why do you think they need to created a NEW black spy character just because he happened to be black? When their eye color change, did you also suggest they create a NEW character with new eye color? How about hair color?

Like I said, if racism as alive and well, people won't watch it. It's a good social experiment too. Noone can force people to watch clearly. So, we'll just see if people in the country care about skin color. Clearly, you do for some reason.

you have got to be kidding me , this is why the social agenda stuff is so stupid. James Bond is James Bond. why would I want Geordi laforge in star trek TNG to be white? why would I want Worf in star trek to be white?? why would i want picard to be black? I would not, because the continuity of the series is important to be able to GET INTO and understand the brilliance of the characters and their stories! should a new person play Kirk every week? no ? why not? because then IT IS NOT Kirk is it? its some different person doing kirk every week.

sure you can change it up , but it ruins the continuity and thus the setting. there is no need for it, other than some ignorant attempt to change the story for the purpose of social justice.

that is also PRECISELY why it does not catch on. but here you go, it will be marked up to 'racism' of course if it flops.

Last edited:
The whole point of Shaft is that he’s black. Some stories require a certain nationality/culture/race. There’s plenty of ehite private detective stuff. Shaft is shaft because he’s a black PI.

Bond is a British spy and his main attribute besides being british is his refined taste. Gorgeous women, nice cars, well dressed etc. Idris Elba would be the best bond since Connery
Well we disagree, guess we will have to wait and see how it does in theaters/streaming

you have got to be kidding me , this is why the social agenda stuff is so stupid. James Bond is James Bond. why would I want Geordi laforge in star trek TNG to be white? why would I want Worf in star trek to be white?? why would i want picard to be black? I would not, because the continuity of the series is important to be able to GET INTO and understand the brilliance of the characters and their stories! should a new person play Kirk every week? no ? why not? because then IT IS NOT Kirk is it? its some different person doing kirk every week.

sure you can change it up , but it ruins the continuity and thus the setting. there is no need for it, other than some ignorant attempt to change the story for the purpose of social justice.

that is also PRECISELY why it does not catch on. but here you go, it will be marked up to 'racism' of course if it flops.

LOL... so in all the prior iterations, you never noticed it was a different James Bond? But now that he'd have a different skin color, only then you'd notice?

😆

Keep digging

Why is it always ok to replace a white with a black but not the other way around?

Same blacks are offended white do voices on black cartoons
Nothing about the James Bond character requires him to be white.
Or for that matter male.
It's literally just a code name that multiple agents have used.

Or it seems so?

I'm not an expert on the lore of that universe.

Only an idiot thinks that James Bond as one singular human performed ALL of those missions.

More to your complaint....if its okay for Roger Moore to assume the mantle, then it basically doesnt matter at all, since Sean Connery created your image of what Bond was supposed to be in the same way Patrick Stewart is what you see Picard as being. If you wouldnt accept anyone else being Picard, they how can you accept anyone else as Bond either?

Why would it flop? Yes, the right wing racists probably won't go to it, but there are millions up on millions of people who are not so hung up on skin tint as they.

So having a black guy play Bond is all about " social justice"??????:???? You sure can come up with some strange claims...…..

It's fiction where a spy runs around and screws women and saves the world.

So exactly like Huckleberry Finn.

A black 1950's member of Britain's MI6, kind of like this guy as depicted by the character's creator, Ian Fleming:

Fleming007impression.jpg

Looks just like Huck's friend, Jim.

it's fiction. they can do whatever they want.

Right. They can make an escaped slave white if they want. Or King Arthur black. Or they can change James Bond to black, or make the Wookie look like a three-foot-tall Ewok.

Well not that anyone cares, but I am a female, and I and a whole lot of my female friends think Idris Elba is HAWT! I would even go see a James Bond film then.

Right. They can make an escaped slave white if they want. Or King Arthur black. Or they can change James Bond to black, or make the Wookie look like a three-foot-tall Ewok.
correct. it's fiction.

does that bother you?

Well, depending on the time and place, a slave who is white might be completely historically accurate.
Or if it's a fictional universe, the writers can do whatever they wish.

And the King Arthur legend is mostly fiction, so we don't really know what he looked like.
Chances are he wasn't black, I would expect.
But we don't know.
And in a fictional universe version of history, the writers can do whatever they wish.

correct. it's fiction.

does that bother you?

No, I love James Bond, and I'll probably go see a black one, but I think it's silly that someone felt a need to redefine the character's race, just as I like the Wookie just fine as tall and hairy. But if Chewy were ever made short with big eyes I would probably still watch Star Wars.

Well, depending on the time and place, a slave who is white might be completely historically accurate.

Of course. Charlton Heston worked in Ben Hur as an Egyptian slave. But he would not have worked as Jim in Huckleberry Finn, considering that the source material was basically an argument against American slavery.

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when I saw the black (future King) Arthur on Cursed. I realize the story is based on a legend, but something about a black king in Medieval England kind of ruined the fantasy, IMHO. It's sort of like casting Daniel Craig as Shaft. Doesn't work.

Hi!

I doubt that I would have a problem after the first recognition of the situation. Each of us have individual reactions to things. As an example, I'm unable to enjoy TV sit-coms. The canned laughter's a turn-off. I'm immediately aware that in all probability some of the people laughing are now dead. 'Nuf said.

Me4anwhile, in the case of James Bond, I suspect it's the difference between your mental image of the character and the actual actor that creates a problem. Had you not read the books and never seen a Bond movie -- in other words, if this was your very first introduction to the character James Bond -- would you have been surprised?

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Hi!

I'm not given to labeling a person or a group of people or a nationality or a race until there's reason.

That rhetoric isn't a reason?

Hi!

I'm sorry, but I do not understand your question and am unable to answer it.

You said you don't label people/groups unless you have a reason, so I asked why the rhetoric of the poster I was referring to (you'll actually have to go back a couple posts) wasn't a reason for you to do so.

You said you don't label people/groups unless you have a reason, so I asked why the rhetoric of the poster I was referring to (you'll actually have to go back a couple posts) wasn't a reason for you to do so.

K! I think I understand. A secular humanist, if you wish to label me, I'm slow to pigeonhole. I do, if interested enough, try to probe beneath the surface for the actual reason(s)/motivation behind statements. I do not know the person behind a ;handle' on this site. I cannot be sure if the person's statements are 'true' beliefs, trolling, satire or what have you. Thus, I normally suspend judgment.

Why is it always ok to replace a white with a black but not the other way around?

Same blacks are offended white do voices on black cartoons

Did they select an actor who is appropriate who happened to be a Black person or did they determine that the search is limited to only Black people, excluding all others?

Are they also going to open this up to actors of all accents and nations? Will we soon have a Black female from Vietnam with a Vietnamese accent as well employed by British intelligence?

I'm sure Ian Fleming anticipated this and included the various supporting operations to achieve the physical changes required in one of the plots he actually penned. ;)

Back
Top Bottom