• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White James Bond to be replaced by a black James Bond

Well when you look for racism everywhere you can convince yourself you see it everywhere And that’s what you have done. I can’t understand why anyone would preferred to plop a black character into a Bond role instead of creating a new franchise that may end up being more popular.

Gee, why would any actor want to appear in the wildly popular action film series, both joining the ranks of legendary actors like Sean Connery and breaking new ground as the first non white actor to play the role? Such a mystery :rolleyes: 😂

Well when you look for racism everywhere you can convince yourself you see it everywhere And that’s what you have done. I can’t understand why anyone would preferred to plop a black character into a Bond role instead of creating a new franchise that may end up being more popular.

Psychological projection. It is YOU who is all upset about SKIN TINT. Geez, relax. It's just a fictional character. What are your thoughts about the assault on democracy of a couple of days ago. That's what you should be upset about.

Why is it always ok to replace a white with a black but not the other way around?

Same blacks are offended white do voices on black cartoons

I suppose.....the box-office will be the determining factor what happens to James Bond.

I'm used to James Bond as a white English, sophisticated guy. James Bond has a definite characterization.
Of course, it wouldn't be the same for me......just as much as it wouldn't be the same................. if they made him into a white, nose-picking
red-neck driving a pick-up truck!

Anyway, the OP has a legit question. Why is there a seeming double-standard?

The new Bond will be sophisticated English guy. Why are you so concerned about skin tint. What difference could it possibly make?

The new Bond will be sophisticated English guy. Why are you so concerned about skin tint. What difference could it possibly make?

It's you who's making so much of the "skin tint." You're trying to make it into a racial issue - the prejudiced kind - when it's not.
Perhaps it wouldn't make any difference to you.
But for some, characterization of an iconic figure (in this case, James Bond), is "hallowed" ground.
You just don't mess up with him.

Mind you, the last James Bond that I really followed was Roger Moore. Though I watched Pierce Brosnan, and I liked him too - I suppose I've grown out of James Bond. I have tried to finish a Daniel Craig version, but never managed to do it.

Like I say, the box office will tell. It usually does.

Perhaps it wouldn't make any difference to you. But for some, characterization of an iconic figure (in this case, James Bond),
is "hallowed" ground. You just don't mess up with him. Like I say, the box office will tell.

I don't see skin tint. I guess that you do.

Why are black movies labeled as "exploitation" while "white" movies are not. Do blacks not have a right to have their "own" movies of a general nature? This sounds like just more "white privilege" whereby whites get to hang negative labels on black enterprises simply because they see the white majority as being "correct" and getting upset at blacks becoming "uppity" by demanding essentially the same.
It was a thing in the 70's. You'd know a "Blaxploitation" flick when you see it.

It's you who;s making so much of the "skin tint." Perhaps it wouldn't make any difference to you.
But for some, characterization of an iconic figure (in this case, James Bond), is "hallowed" ground.

Mind you, the last James Bond that I really followed was Roger Moore. Though I watched Pierce Brosnan, and I liked him too - I suppose I've grown out of James Bond. I have tried to finish a Daniel Craig version, but never managed to do it.

Ah, so racism is something good but terminating a pregnancy is like a sacrifice to Baal, the god of who the **** cares. Got it.

James Bond should not be black, says first black Bond villain Yaphet Kotto

'Political correctness be damned' says Dr Kananga from 1973's Live and Let Die

[Bond] cannot be black,” he told Big Issue. “James Bond was established by Ian Fleming as a white character, played by white actors. Play 003 or 006 but you cannot be 007.”

Kotto, 75, added that he finds it “ridiculous” when people say all roles should be open to black actors.
“If I say I want to play JFK, I should be laughed out of the room,” he said.

“Black men should stop trying to play roles created by whites. These roles are not written for black men.
We have pens [to create] roles that no one else has established.”

Amen. Very well-said.

Why should black people be content to taking those roles, like as if taking a white man's role is the ultimate defining moment for black people?
This is your moment! Seize it! CREATE SOMETHING that will be uniquely yours! Establish your presence permanently!

Last edited:
Mind you....Denzel Washington as The Equalizer - I love him in it! I'm hoping for a third installment!

But then, The Equalizer isn't James Bond.

Too old. He would have two movies tops in him before they had to make a "I'm gettin too old for this shit" story like they did with Daniel Craig in Spectre, only the fourth James Bond movie he was in. Idris Elba would be a fantastic idea if he was ten years younger.
Bah, Connery still pulled off the Bond role nicely when he was 53 years old (5 years older than Elba is today) and pulled off a credible ex-SAS guy 13 years later on that silly rock in SF Bay.

It's the self irony that always did it, not the physical aspect (something that nobody ever told Craig).

Elba has loads of mileage in him yet.

Won his first (and only) professional kick boxing match against a younger but far more experienced opponent.

James Bond should not be black, says first black Bond villain Yaphet Kotto

'Political correctness be damned' says Dr Kananga from 1973's Live and Let Die

[Bond] cannot be black,” he told Big Issue. “James Bond was established by Ian Fleming as a white character, played by white actors. Play 003 or 006 but you cannot be 007.”

Kotto, 75, added that he finds it “ridiculous” when people say all roles should be open to black actors.
“If I say I want to play JFK, I should be laughed out of the room,” he said.

“Black men should stop trying to play roles created by whites. These roles are not written for black men.
We have pens [to create] roles that no one else has established.”

Amen. Very well-said.

Why should black people be content to taking those roles, like as if taking a white man's role is the ultimate defining moment for black people?
This is your moment! Seize it! CREATE SOMETHING that will be uniquely yours! Establish your presence permanently!

Oh look, a ridiculous comparison. James Bond is a fictional character, unlike JFK.

Oh look, a ridiculous comparison. James Bond is a fictional character, unlike JFK.

The comparison may be between a fictional character and a real person.....
....but Bond was an established character - a white Englishman - by its author.
To fans of the franchise, that makes his character "real" to them.

I think, now that Hollywood and tv networks are opening the opportunity for black people - this is the great opportunity for them to
establish their own creations.

Anyway....why would the James Bond role be such a biggie for any black to consider...... when I think James Bond might be on his way out.
If the movie bombs, they might even blame it on the black actor rather than the fact that maybe the franchise had simply reached its end.

There are a lot of nice-looking black actors who could be the next Denzel Washington! Unfortunately, they're not given much exposure I think.

We need a new breed of action heroes! BUT, with great A-list type of budget and screenplay! C'mon guys - fill up the spot.

You guys should watch BLACK and BLUE! I love that action movie!

21 Bridges, too by the late Chadwick Boseman.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts about a black man playing James Bond?
Why not with the magic of computer generated graphics, click through all the POC races in 15 minute Intervals. He gets in his car black, and arrives at his destination Chinese. Easy peasy. Win win!

The fact that the question is asked demonstrates that we are still a nation in which racial prejudice is a societal problem.

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the prophylactic Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Reminder. I try to respond to all who quote my posts. If you do not get a response from me, it may be that you've made it onto my 'Ignore' list.

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when I saw the black (future King) Arthur on Cursed. I realize the story is based on a legend, but something about a black king in Medieval England kind of ruined the fantasy, IMHO. It's sort of like casting Daniel Craig as Shaft. Doesn't work.

its not racism... why do things need to change to match your social agenda? could they not come up with a NEW black spy character instead of replacing Bond that has already been well established?

You did not complain when one actor was replaced by the next before. Why do you think they need to created a NEW black spy character just because he happened to be black? When their eye color change, did you also suggest they create a NEW character with new eye color? How about hair color?

Like I said, if racism as alive and well, people won't watch it. It's a good social experiment too. Noone can force people to watch clearly. So, we'll just see if people in the country care about skin color. Clearly, you do for some reason.

Imagine being so fragile that a fictional spy being played by a black man triggers you.

It's you who's making so much of the "skin tint." You're trying to make it into a racial issue - the prejudiced kind - when it's not.
Perhaps it wouldn't make any difference to you.

“Being black” is “messing up with” the character, how?

Is he now going to be American? Not many black Scots.

You don't think the fact that he survives the zombies - but is then killed by the cops in the morning - is commentary about race?

I think it is.
Don't see that. Cops were shooting all sorts of zombies, and it seems pretty clear they thought he was just one other when (if I remember) they saw him inside the house through the window and shot. He's then piled on the other bodies. I get your point about the cops, but it didn't seem they were any more hostile to him than to the others. In addition, though he argued with a soon-to-be-zombie inside the house, race wasn't referred to by the latter either.

Why is it always ok to replace a white with a black but not the other way around?

Same blacks are offended white do voices on black cartoons

Same reason it's perfectly fine for Robin Hood to steal from the rich to give to the poor, but not okay for the Sheriff to tax the poor and line his own pockets.

Back
Top Bottom