• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which Generation Are YOU?

Which Generattion Are YOU?

• G.I./Greatest Generation, born between 1901 – 1926.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I thought it would be interesting to see which "Generation" members of the Forum (at least those actually actively participating) fall within.

First to simply see the spread of actively participating member's "Generational" categories. (There are many, many who've joined but stopped participating)

Second, to see if various political viewpoints do tend to fall generally within "Generational" categories.

NOTE: The categories have been pre-determined by a couple of sources:

Generation Naming: What Came Before Millennials and Founders | Time

and:

The Six Living Generations In America

Here are the Options:

1. G.I./Greatest Generation, born between 1901 – 1926. "Children of the WWI generation & fighters in WWII & young in the Great Depression…all leading to strong models of teamwork to overcome and progress."

2. Mature/Silent Generation, born between 1927 – 1945. "Went through their formative years during an era of suffocating conformity, but also during the postwar happiness; Korean and Vietnam War generation."

3. Baby Boomers, born between 1946 – 1964. "1. The save-the-world revolutionaries of the ’60s and ’70s; and 2. The party-hardy career climbers (Yuppies) of the ’70s/’80s. The 'Me' Generation."

4. Generation X, born between 1965 – 1980. "The “latch-key kids” grew up street-smart but isolated, often with divorced or career-driven parents. Government and big business mean little to them. Want to save the neighborhood, not the world."

5. Generation Y/ Millennials, born between 1981 – 2000. "They have been told over and over again that they are special, and they expect the world to treat them that way. They do not live to work, they prefer a more relaxed work environment with a lot of hand holding and accolades."

6. Generation Z/ Boomlets, born after 2001. "In 2006 there were a record number of births in the US and 49% of those born were Hispanic, this will change the American melting pot in terms of behavior and culture. They have never known a world without computers and cell phones. Have Eco-fatigue: they are actually tired of hearing about the environment and the many ways we have to save it."

So which do you fall in?
I'm XXX

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m at the very tail end of the Millennial generation, as I was born in 2000.

Gen X.

First keg party at 14. First rock concert at 15. First DUI at 17...

For example, whereas Boomers got to pay $7,000 (in 2017 dollars) for college tuition in 1975, today's students get to pay $19,000 (in 2017 dollars). What then makes it even more thoroughly insulting, is the actions and attitudes that Boomers have undertaken to ensure that no one else is able to get the same benefits that they did.

"A $7,000 college tuition? That's a WELFARE STATE and we should DENY government funding for that." - Typical Boomer.
Not to defend boomers, they are the worst, but:
In 1975
Medium Income post collage education: $12,095 ($55,106)
Medium Overall household income: $10,579 ($48,199)
Estimated yearly return on investment: $1,516 ($6,907) / year

In 2018
Medium Income post collage education: $68,728
Medium Overall household income: $45,016
Estimated yearly return on investment: $23,712

So for that 171% increase in cost a graduate sees a 248% better estimated return on investment.

And the single family avg sq/ft per home in 1975 was 1645sqft. Median: 1535sqft. The average in 2018 is 2,602sqft. Median: 2,392sqft. Does your equation account for that 60% increase in size of home?

ROFL! American, not to pick on you specifically, but there's literally nothing more that encapsulates how entitled and awful the Baby Boomer are than this type of response. :lol:

Back in the Boomer's day, one could afford a college education or a house on a single salary due to that "welfare state." Whereas in today's world adjusting for inflation, the price of education and cost of housing has doubled or tripled, and salaries have stagnated significantly.

For example, whereas Boomers got to pay $7,000 (in 2017 dollars) for college tuition in 1975, today's students get to pay $19,000 (in 2017 dollars). What then makes it even more thoroughly insulting, is the actions and attitudes that Boomers have undertaken to ensure that no one else is able to get the same benefits that they did.

"A $7,000 college tuition? That's a WELFARE STATE and we should DENY government funding for that." - Typical Boomer.
Cry me a river, that's not my fault, nor my problem. Too many going to college for bull**** degrees anyway.

I refuse to be categorized, however, since I am in the age group with boomers, I believe my generation has made the best music of all time.

I refuse to be categorized, however, since I am in the age group with boomers, I believe my generation has made the best music of all time.

Outside of classical, I think you are right!

Interesting I and my children are nothing like the descriptions.

3. Baby Boomers. 1952 Stay at home mom. Home schooled my 3 children.

Daughter Generation X 1979 2 Sons Generation Y/ Millennials 1982 1986

Roseann:)

The stuff secular science speculators mistakenly think gave birth to life on earth?

You mean the smallest hydrocarbon? It is that. I dunno why hydrocarbons, or the fact they're the building blocks of life, upsets you.

I am a Millennial and I make no bones about it. Now if you will excuse me, my avocado toast awaits.

egghole-2.jpg

Sounds and looks good to be honest. :shrug: Maybe I'll make some for my wife on her next day off of work. (she hates to eat breakfast on the days she works)

I've never liked the category-name of my generation "Millennial" -- likely because of the negative connotation society has put on it.

But after reading Gen Z's category-name of "Boomlets" I think I'l just stay quiet and appreciate being called a Millennial.

You mean the smallest hydrocarbon? It is that. I dunno why hydrocarbons, or the fact they're the building blocks of life, upsets you.

What I find upsetting is the fact that college professors will not allow students to question the science dogma propaganda as if questioning old tales erroneously believed to be solid science is unscientific.

What I find upsetting is the fact that college professors will not allow students to question the science dogma propaganda as if questioning old tales erroneously believed to be solid science is unscientific.

Ignorant BS. Throughout my grad school, I had heated debates with professors in class.

Let me guess... high school education?

Save the trailer park placation for those without education.

Ignorant BS. Throughout my grad school, I had heated debates with professors in class.

Let me guess... high school education?

Save the trailer park placation for those without education.

I was told by my college biology professor not to question the dogma he was presenting because he was not there to answer questions but to teach the textbook propaganda and nothing but the propaganda. (Propaganda is my word for what he was talking about.)

College instruction like that is not designed to get students to think but to get students to blindly accept without question what they are being told, even if it is wrong.

As a "friend" of mine likes to say "I'm not saying I'm old, but I was a beta tester for sunshine"

The definitive guide to the Boomer generation The Baby Boom: How it Got that way, And It Wasn't My Fault, And I'll Never Do It Again

One of the interesting concepts ORourke introduces is that generations are not huge monolithic entities where everybody born during the target years is exactly the same. For instances the post WW II boomers, born in the late 40's were actually protesting and fighting the Vietnam war when the last of the boomers - born in the early 60's were still crapping their pants.

Last edited:
ROFL! American, not to pick on you specifically, but there's literally nothing more that encapsulates how entitled and awful the Baby Boomer are than this type of response. :lol:

Back in the Boomer's day, one could afford a college education or a house on a single salary due to that "welfare state." Whereas in today's world adjusting for inflation, the price of education and cost of housing has doubled or tripled, and salaries have stagnated significantly.

Yeah, the average college degree may have cost around $7000 a year back then but I was also earning $2.55 an hour working full time on the midshift.

So, what would you call the golden American period that MAGA refers to, specifically? Maybe a decade?
Can we have at least one Trumpless thread?

The description of Millennials is biased, I think.

In part because I am one, in part because I think it's wrong.

The whole thing looks like it has a vaguely to pronounced right wing bias; it's just especially prominent in the Millennial case.

It's probably lost on you, that the only people that commonly hold that assessment are ignorant ****s trying to shift the blame from themselves to younger people.

Whoops, crashed the economy and so far reaganomics doesn't work like I was told it would, better double down on my own ignorance and blame it all on young people. The house my parents left me free and clear will have 2 mortgages on it when I die, because **** my kids and grandkids that's why, I need a brand new Truck to show off to the other two old ****s I drink coffee with all day while we complain about the world we ruined and blame it on kids today.

I'm tired of hearing it.

So tired in fact, if there were a vote tomorrow to put everyone over 65 on an iceberg and float their entitled asses out to sea, I'd vote more than once.

Clear it up for ya.

Damn straight.

Back
Top Bottom