• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which Generation Are YOU?

Which Generattion Are YOU?

• G.I./Greatest Generation, born between 1901 – 1926.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I thought it would be interesting to see which "Generation" members of the Forum (at least those actually actively participating) fall within.

First to simply see the spread of actively participating member's "Generational" categories. (There are many, many who've joined but stopped participating)

Second, to see if various political viewpoints do tend to fall generally within "Generational" categories.

NOTE: The categories have been pre-determined by a couple of sources:

Generation Naming: What Came Before Millennials and Founders | Time

and:

The Six Living Generations In America

Blue:
Will compare and contrast generational ideology observed on DP with that writ large?
If so, I await your report.

Yes, although it won't be as scientific as that. ;)

I've been an observer of political trends most of my life, having transitioned from "save the world revolutionary" through "Party-Hardy Yuppie" and then "MTV/Underground Clubber" and ultimately to (mostly) Classical Liberal beliefs.

I just wondered if my personal observations of what generations were being represented by the tenor of member posts would be accurately reflected by generational divides here in the Forum.

Forget the nuance, I am not even sure labels are grasping underlying themes these days. I without fail fall on any political gage or test I've taken test almost dead centre(independent), this despite not shying away from strong positions. When there is a lean it is libertarian - social right. That is with one exception: Pew's Political Typology Quiz which put me on its farthest right group: Core Conservative. And of those who I feel best reflect my similar views the journalistic labels tends to be "right" / "far right", sometimes but not always distinguishing from ethnonationalist / alt-right types.

I just took it and got core conservative too, even though, as with all of these quizzes, half the questions are poorly worded and I can't really agree with either of the options.

I thought it would be interesting to see which "Generation" members of the Forum (at least those actually actively participating) fall within.

First to simply see the spread of actively participating member's "Generational" categories. (There are many, many who've joined but stopped participating)

Second, to see if various political viewpoints do tend to fall generally within "Generational" categories.

NOTE: The categories have been pre-determined by a couple of sources:

Generation Naming: What Came Before Millennials and Founders | Time

and:

The Six Living Generations In America

Here are the Options:

1. G.I./Greatest Generation, born between 1901 – 1926. "Children of the WWI generation & fighters in WWII & young in the Great Depression…all leading to strong models of teamwork to overcome and progress."

2. Mature/Silent Generation, born between 1927 – 1945. "Went through their formative years during an era of suffocating conformity, but also during the postwar happiness; Korean and Vietnam War generation."

3. Baby Boomers, born between 1946 – 1964. "1. The save-the-world revolutionaries of the ’60s and ’70s; and 2. The party-hardy career climbers (Yuppies) of the ’70s/’80s. The 'Me' Generation."

4. Generation X, born between 1965 – 1980. "The “latch-key kids” grew up street-smart but isolated, often with divorced or career-driven parents. Government and big business mean little to them. Want to save the neighborhood, not the world."

5. Generation Y/ Millennials, born between 1981 – 2000. "They have been told over and over again that they are special, and they expect the world to treat them that way. They do not live to work, they prefer a more relaxed work environment with a lot of hand holding and accolades."

6. Generation Z/ Boomlets, born after 2001. "In 2006 there were a record number of births in the US and 49% of those born were Hispanic, this will change the American melting pot in terms of behavior and culture. They have never known a world without computers and cell phones. Have Eco-fatigue: they are actually tired of hearing about the environment and the many ways we have to save it."

So which do you fall in?

Boomers: When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

GenX: When life hands you lemons, create a startup to market lemon juice as a healthy, low-carb alternative to lemonade.

Millennials: Hahahaha, as if life would ever just *hand you* lemons

The description of Millennials is based off of what Baby Boomers - aka the worst American generation ever - think of Millennials.

Personally, I dish the Boomer attitude right back at them, because Boomers are the trust fund babies of America. Inherited a country they had no part in creating from their parents, took the benefits, failed to appreciate it, and then left nothing behind ... all while being self-righteous about it.

We inherited the Welfare State from the supposed Greatest Generation. pfffft So Mr Disher, WTF have you ever created over and above other generations?

We're at Post 50.

The counts are getting more mixed. 45 voted in the poll.

17 (38%) are Babyboomers

16 (36%) are Generation X.

11 (24%) are Generation Y/Millennials.

1 (2 %) is Generation Z/Boomlets.

I don't think we'll be hearing from anyone in the Silent Generation, and clearly unlikely for the GI/Greatest Generation. We'll see.

The Greatest weren't the greatest BTW, the greatest created this country. The "Greatest" created the Welfare State and voted themselves more SS benefits than anyone that followed.

The description of Millennials is based off of what Baby Boomers - aka the worst American generation ever - think of Millennials.

Personally, I dish the Boomer attitude right back at them, because Boomers are the trust fund babies of America. Inherited a country they had no part in creating from their parents, took the benefits, failed to appreciate it, and then left nothing behind ... all while being self-righteous about it.

haha...ah, the Boomer / Millennial brawl....thank goodness for being Gen X, where I can sit back and talk smack to both of you.... lolz.

PS: Devastating summary of the Boomers. Not entirely false, not entirely fair, but that's ok. One day you'll have young folks hating your generation too. ;)

The Greatest weren't the greatest BTW, the greatest created this country. The "Greatest" created the Welfare State and voted themselves more SS benefits than anyone that followed.

Thereby making themselves the Greatest generation. They were both brave and kind. It would make sense that lesser generations would not understand this.

Though I was not born in 2001 (1998), I consider myself Generation Z because typically researchers define the age range as being from the late 90's, onwards. So I guess you could call me a post-millennial.

Though I was not born in 2001 (1998), I consider myself Generation Z because typically researchers define the age range as being from the late 90's, onwards. So I guess you could call me a post-millennial.

Nah, you're still just a millennial. Just admit it. ;)

#CantEscapeTheLabel

Nah, you're still just a millennial. Just admit it. ;)

#CantEscapeTheLabel

tenor.gif

Thereby making themselves the Greatest generation. They were both brave and kind. It would make sense that lesser generations would not understand this.

No they weren't, they were brave and gullible; writing checks their successors can't pay for. Pelosi and Schumer are part of that generation..........yeah that's right, they're still around and in charge.

No they weren't, they were brave and gullible; writing checks their successors can't pay for. Pelosi and Schumer are part of that generation..........yeah that's right, they're still around and in charge.

I disagree. They had a better vision for the world...having seen how bad it can be first hand.

I always assume the whole MAGA thing points to the years when the Greatest generation were in charge of the world. Is that not the case?

It's probably lost on you, that the only people that commonly hold that assessment are ignorant ****s trying to shift the blame from themselves to younger people.

Whoops, crashed the economy and so far reaganomics doesn't work like I was told it would, better double down on my own ignorance and blame it all on young people. The house my parents left me free and clear will have 2 mortgages on it when I die, because **** my kids and grandkids that's why, I need a brand new Truck to show off to the other two old ****s I drink coffee with all day while we complain about the world we ruined and blame it on kids today.

I'm tired of hearing it.

So tired in fact, if there were a vote tomorrow to put everyone over 65 on an iceberg and float their entitled asses out to sea, I'd vote more than once.

Clear it up for ya.
:lamo

So cute when you are angry. And you cleared everything up just fine in your FIRST post by affirming every negative generational stereotype listed.

Generational research is valuable in many ways. It is not meant as a catch all label to be applied universally and anyone that does so...either as an applicator or recipient...is being silly. But as a general measure it helps to define approaches in education, clinical services, employment, and general relatedness. The generations descriptions as generally applied is used in market research. By and large...it is helpful. even where people dont fit precisely the boxes of generational labels, the contributing factors are relevant.

But to pee yourself over the labels? Well...thats just priceless.

I am a Millennial and I make no bones about it. Now if you will excuse me, my avocado toast awaits.

egghole-2.jpg

Gen X and I can eat whatever the heII I want.

I disagree. They had a better vision for the world...having seen how bad it can be first hand.

I always assume the whole MAGA thing points to the years when the Greatest generation were in charge of the world. Is that not the case?

MAGA goes well past the Greatest, and back to our roots. Yeah the Greatest look great compared to Millennials who don't seem to have a clue outside their phones. But the Welfare State and massive debt came from them.

MAGA goes well past the Greatest, and back to our roots. Yeah the Greatest look great compared to Millennials who don't seem to have a clue outside their phones. But the Welfare State and massive debt came from them.

So, what would you call the golden American period that MAGA refers to, specifically? Maybe a decade?

We inherited the Welfare State from the supposed Greatest Generation. pfffft So Mr Disher, WTF have you ever created over and above other generations?

ROFL! American, not to pick on you specifically, but there's literally nothing more that encapsulates how entitled and awful the Baby Boomer are than this type of response. :lol:

Back in the Boomer's day, one could afford a college education or a house on a single salary due to that "welfare state." Whereas in today's world adjusting for inflation, the price of education and cost of housing has doubled or tripled, and salaries have stagnated significantly.

For example, whereas Boomers got to pay $7,000 (in 2017 dollars) for college tuition in 1975, today's students get to pay $19,000 (in 2017 dollars). What then makes it even more thoroughly insulting, is the actions and attitudes that Boomers have undertaken to ensure that no one else is able to get the same benefits that they did.

"A $7,000 college tuition? That's a WELFARE STATE and we should DENY government funding for that." - Typical Boomer.

Back
Top Bottom