• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where are our carriers today ?

Actually, it means at the moment there are two carriers out there and another is on its way out to the Gulf to relieve one or both of those there now. This really isn't different than what it was like pre-9/11, when I first got to the ship. 4 carriers are completely operational and just doing workups or training or other ops off our own coast when they are out to sea (which doesn't have to be all the time). 3 are in major maintenance periods, which is strange, but also scheduled and not surprising since many of these ships have been doing some serious operational duties since 9/11.

Heck, during my 4 1/2 years on the Lincoln, we were out on a six month when the Cole got hit, meaning we got very little time inports until the way home. Then we did 9 1/2 months for the beginning of Iraqi Freedom. Then, on the way home from our first surge, right after I flew off the ship, she was extended for at least a month to help with tsunami relief because she was really close when Indonesia got hit in Dec 2004. They were supposed to do 4 months, and did at least 5 out to sea. None of these major underways include going back and forth out to sea for training and workups or RimPacs or trips up to Alaska or to Canada or down to allow an airwing to qualify/do runs off our deck or to just do an ORSE or some other required ship's exam.

When I saw the OP, my first reaction was he had to be ****ing joking. In my 6 years, I was deployed a total of 14 months, and that was with both deployments getting extended. That was 20 years ago. Ships spend most of their time inport, both for the good of the ship, and those aboard her.

The Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carriers (or Ford-class) are a class of supercarrier for the United States Navy, intended to eventually replace the current Nimitz-class carriers. The new vessels will use a hull design similar to the Nimitz carriers in appearance, but many aspects of the design will be different, implementing new technologies developed since the initial design of the previous class , as well as other design features intended to improve efficiency and running costs, including a reduced crew requirement. The first hull of the line will be named Gerald R. Ford, and will have the hull number CVN-78.

Displacement: 112.000 tons

Length: 1.092 ft (333 m)

Propulsion: 2 A1B nuclear reactors

Aircraft carried: 75+.....snip~

harrr.jpg

The Ford is going to be the ****. Based on what I have read, they really came up with a great design, and even little things like planning for upgrades and running more cables later if needed will make it really nice to be on. The magnetic cats especially are pretty cool, but every aspect is well thought out. The one question will be what unexpected problems arise, but that is true of every new class of ship.

That's awesome! Some Navy bases have been using solar power for things like outside lights and to power other facilities for at least 15 years now. The first time we pulled the Lincoln into Coronado while I was onboard, I noticed the parking areas all had solar panels on the coverings and there were some over the streetlamps.

I heard the Navy was working on something like the largest Solar Ship the Civilian sector had. Something like this one. But I haven't found anything on it.

The World’s Largest Solar Powered Ship......

tranorplanetsolar.jpg

url2-610x457.jpg

uhjrl-610x406.jpg

The World

I heard the Navy was working on something like the largest Solar Ship the Civilian sector had. Something like this one. But I haven't found anything on it.

The World’s Largest Solar Powered Ship......

The World

Those would seem unreliable though for our purposes. We always have to keep in mind that we still need to be able to operate for long periods, even if parts of our ships, including the tops, have taken damage.

If the panels were able to be protected somehow without affecting their capacity to produce, it could be useful (probably a different design would be needed).

That's awesome! Some Navy bases have been using solar power for things like outside lights and to power other facilities for at least 15 years now. The first time we pulled the Lincoln into Coronado while I was onboard, I noticed the parking areas all had solar panels on the coverings and there were some over the streetlamps.

I did find this.....has to do with using Hydrogen and Solar. Don't know if they could use such a ship in battle though.

Navy unveils new solar energy system from SunPower

New solar energy system located at China Lake research center

The Navy has activated a massive solar energy system in its China Lake research facility that is located in the Mohave Desert. The solar energy system is massive in size and scope, planning to save the military no less than $13 million in electricity costs annually. Though the system itself is large, it will only account for 30% of the China Lake research center’s energy needs. One of the most notable aspects of the new solar energy system is that it did not cost taxpayers any money, thus eliminating concerns from those disinclined to have their tax dollars used to support clean energy projects.

Cost effective way to adopt clean energy may secure energy independence

The plan has proven ideal for the U.S. military. The Department of Defense is pushing for the country to become energy independent for the sake of national security.....sniup~

Navy unveils new solar energy system from SunPower*|*Hydrogen Fuel News

I did find this.....has to do with using Hydrogen and Solar. Don't know if they could use such a ship in battle though.

The Navy has activated a massive solar energy system in its China Lake research facility that is located in the Mohave Desert. The solar energy system is massive in size and scope, planning to save the military no less than $13 million in electricity costs annually. Though the system itself is large, it will only account for 30% of the China Lake research center’s energy needs. One of the most notable aspects of the new solar energy system is that it did not cost taxpayers any money, thus eliminating concerns from those disinclined to have their tax dollars used to support clean energy projects.

The plan has proven ideal for the U.S. military. The Department of Defense is pushing for the country to become energy independent for the sake of national security.....sniup~

Personally, I wish they would make the military housing all more energy efficient, including solar panels or other single-family sources of alternative energy where they can. And bases should all be pushing for getting off the normal power grids, for both energy concerns and advantages when the civilian sources go offline. When Oahu had its power knocked out for almost a day after an earthquake off its coast, Pearl Harbor faced some serious issues with some of their maintenance operations.

On a related note I hope, when do you see Fusion-Powered Spacecraft..
On a simpler note, when do you see the first Fusion reactor going on line ?

One thing to remember is that the military and especially the navy will experiment with tons of prototypes, most of which will never see combat. The navy has tons of different ideas fr new ships and new weapon systems. Many will prove to be impractical or technologically unfeasible. That is fine as long as some do work out. One exciting system being worked on right now is railguns, using magnetics instead of explosives to fire projectiles. If it works out as seems likely, this could significantly impact surface ships combat power.

On a related side-issue I hope, could homeless Veteran fit in with Today's base-housing??
Could jobs open for them there??
As an Air Force brat for 13 years, we lived in lots of different 'chicken-coups'..
Thank you for the carrier photos .
Personally, I wish they would make the military housing all more energy efficient, including solar panels or other single-family sources of alternative energy where they can. And bases should all be pushing for getting off the normal power grids, for both energy concerns and advantages when the civilian sources go offline. When Oahu had its power knocked out for almost a day after an earthquake off its coast, Pearl Harbor faced some serious issues with some of their maintenance operations.

One thing to remember is that the military and especially the navy will experiment with tons of prototypes, most of which will never see combat. The navy has tons of different ideas fr new ships and new weapon systems. Many will prove to be impractical or technologically unfeasible. That is fine as long as some do work out. One exciting system being worked on right now is railguns, using magnetics instead of explosives to fire projectiles. If it works out as seems likely, this could significantly impact surface ships combat power.

They are going to put the Rail Gun on the New Zumwalt Stealth Destroyers. Impressive ship.....I must say. Huah!
icon_salut.gif

$3 Billion Stealth Destroyer To Carry Futuristic Rail Gun

stealth-destroyer.jpg

By 2014, the US Navy is planning to have a few $3 billion stealth destroyer ships at their disposal. The DDG-1000 will be able to sneak up coastlines undetected and will be able to devastate land targets with its futuristic rail gun.

The Associated Press reports that the stealth destroyer is being praised by the Pentagon as the “most advanced destroyer in history.” The ship will be used primarily in Asia but could also find itself in the Gulf region.

Read more at $3 Billion Stealth Destroyer To Carry Futuristic Rail Gun

They are going to put the Rail Gun on the New Zumwalt Stealth Destroyers. Impressive ship.....I must say. Huah!
icon_salut.gif

stealth-destroyer.jpg

By 2014, the US Navy is planning to have a few $3 billion stealth destroyer ships at their disposal. The DDG-1000 will be able to sneak up coastlines undetected and will be able to devastate land targets with its futuristic rail gun.

The Associated Press reports that the stealth destroyer is being praised by the Pentagon as the “most advanced destroyer in history.” The ship will be used primarily in Asia but could also find itself in the Gulf region.

The stealth aspect is really important too(obviously). Modern naval combat tends to involve either carriers, or be sensor battles or both.

On a related side-issue I hope, could homeless Veteran fit in with Today's base-housing??
Could jobs open for them there??
As an Air Force brat for 13 years, we lived in lots of different 'chicken-coups'..
Thank you for the carrier photos .

Honestly, I don't know but I would hope that this would be the ideal situation. First priority, in my opinion, for most military related jobs should go to military vets, particularly homeless vets, rather than contracts. Of course, this should be based on ability to do that particular job and their willingness to do it, but they should get that first chance over others. Plus, if they planned to make military housing more efficient, it would definitely be a good way to get homeless vets not only at least some temporary work, but also some job experience/training.

The stealth aspect is really important too(obviously). Modern naval combat tends to involve either carriers, or be sensor battles or both.

China was concerned over them.....though this is what their One guy said. Although, they are telling their people we already deployed them.

New US destroyer deployed against China's Anti-Access strategy: US Navy

DDG1000-162332_copy1.jpg

The primary function of the US Navy Zumwalt-class stealth destroyers recently deployed to the Asia Pacific region is to counter the anti-access/area-denial capabilities of China, reports party mouthpiece Global Times.

The new surface combat vessel is considered the future of the US Navy by admiral Jonathan Greenert, chief of naval operations, and will play an important role in supporting president Barack Obama's Asia Pivot Strategy. The 15,000-ton USS Elmo Zumwalt DDG-1000's stealth design is able to reduce radar and sonar detection to the lowest levels of any destroyer in the world. It would be able to engage against Chinese warships in a littoral combat environment.

The vessel's deadliest weapon system is its electronic rail gun that fires using electromagnetic pulses. In addition.....

The ship is not invincible from the Chinese point of view. "I can send several dozen small fishing boats loaded with explosives, floating and wobbling in the water, toward the Zumwalt, place the explosives onto its hull [and blow many holes in the hull], said rear admiral Zhang Zhaozhong of the PLA Navy during an interview with national broadcaster China Central Television. "It will be finished then. The Zumwalt is no good!" he said.....snip~

New US destroyer deployed against China's Anti-Access strategy: US Navy

I got to run a couple of errands.....BBL. Sometimes.....the Chinese talk to much, eh! ;)

yeah the railguns are insane. The research was/is done at the university I graduated from. They had a world class mag lab. It's a giant contract.

There weren't any G76/G at Pearl Harbor ?

This is what happens when todays military becomes too dependent on technology.

thCABDKPFV.jpg

A geek wouldn't last a minute cranking this generator.

There weren't any G76/G at Pearl Harbor ?

This is what happens when todays military becomes too dependent on technology.

View attachment 67155302

A geek wouldn't last a minute cranking this generator.

LOL, wow. You do know that the majority of those working in Pearl are shipyard workers and submariners, right? Even their "geeks" are pretty strong.

But that won't power even a small portion of some of the needed equipment. And when you have to have the equipment running 24/7, it isn't practical. They had backup generators, but even those won't power everything needed.

icon_salut.gif

stealth-destroyer.jpg

The DG-1000 program aka Zumawalt Class Destroyer main mission is naval surface fire support (NSFS) for the Marine rifleman. It's the replacement for the Iowa class battleships that were suppose to have remain in a high state of readiness in the reserve fleet until the Zumwalt class destroyers were in the fleet. But a certain President broke the law and cut up all of the Iowa class BB's 16" spare barrels and turned the Iowa's into museums. Congress didn't want to impeach him for a second time.

Originally the Zumwalt class destroyers were suppose to be armed with two 155 MM naval guns that could provide sufficient NSFS for Marine combat operations ashore. One being area fire against enemy troops. (Todays destroyers having only one 5"/54 or 5"/62)
USA 155 mm/62 (6.1") Advanced Gun System (AGS)

Lately the Navy's rail gun has been an on and off and on again project with Congress when it comes to budgeting. But in my opinion having more experience with NSFS than any on active duty today, the rail gun is a poor choice for NSFS. A 7 lb. projectile compared to the 220 lb. projectile of the 155 mm gun. You want a fragmentation projectile when targeting enemy troops or soft targets. The rail gun only being capable of hitting small individual targets and not being capable of providing NSFS for area target like an enemy company (troops in the open.)

A couple of weeks ago it was announced that the haul of the Zumwalt class destroyer has some problems, not sea worthy.

That the Zumwalt class destroyers might have a problem with not being able to dissipate the heat produced with all of the radars, computer systems and the rail gun. The DDG class destroyers may also have the same problems.

www.fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/RL32109.pdf

LOL, wow. You do know that the majority of those working in Pearl are shipyard workers and submariners, right? Even their "geeks" are pretty strong.

But that won't power even a small portion of some of the needed equipment. And when you have to have the equipment running 24/7, it isn't practical. They had backup generators, but even those won't power everything needed.

:lamo Your so gullible Roguenuke.

More news about the Ford Class.

US Navy's New Aircraft Carriers Will Be Massive 'Floating Cities'.....

aircraft-carrier-uss-ford.jpeg1382114651

The new Ford-class aircraft carriers are the first new designs for these types of warships since the USS Nimitz was built in the late 1960s. The sheer size of aircraft carriers, and the number of onboard facilities, earned these ships the nickname of "floating cities."

The first Ford-class ship, the newly complete USS Gerald R. Ford, will enter the water on Nov. 9, as part of a special christening ceremony. The USS Ford is expected to formally enter service in the U.S. Navy in 2016.

The Ford-class carriers feature a suite of upgraded technologies, including the latest radar systems and more efficient nuclear power plants. The ship also has a larger flight deck than previous designs and three aircraft elevators. These advancements will enable the Ford-class carriers to conduct 25 percent more flight missions than their predecessors, the Nimitz-class warships.

When the USS Ford officially enters service, the ship will also be used to launch drones on missions for the military.

"Unmanned aircraft will certainly be part of our portfolio moving forward — they will not replace manned aircraft but will play an important role," Rear Adm. Thomas J. Moore, program executive officer for carriers told Military.com.....snip~

US Navy's New Aircraft Carriers Will Be Massive 'Floating Cities'

10 Million feet of electrical Cables? :shock: I sure hope none of these Ship get hit with an EMP. Or some solar flare type of activity. Note they will employ unmanned drones too.

The new Ford-class aircraft carriers are the first new designs for these types of warships since the USS Nimitz was built in the late 1960s. The sheer size of aircraft carriers, and the number of onboard facilities, earned these ships the nickname of "floating cities."

The first Ford-class ship, the newly complete USS Gerald R. Ford, will enter the water on Nov. 9, as part of a special christening ceremony. The USS Ford is expected to formally enter service in the U.S. Navy in 2016.

The Ford-class carriers feature a suite of upgraded technologies, including the latest radar systems and more efficient nuclear power plants. The ship also has a larger flight deck than previous designs and three aircraft elevators. These advancements will enable the Ford-class carriers to conduct 25 percent more flight missions than their predecessors, the Nimitz-class warships.

When the USS Ford officially enters service, the ship will also be used to launch drones on missions for the military.

"Unmanned aircraft will certainly be part of our portfolio moving forward — they will not replace manned aircraft but will play an important role," Rear Adm. Thomas J. Moore, program executive officer for carriers told Military.com.....snip~

10 Million feet of electrical Cables? :shock: I sure hope none of these Ship get hit with an EMP. Or some solar flare type of activity. Note they will employ unmanned drones too.

What's happening MMC ? :2wave:

The USS Ford is the Navy's first aircraft carrier to be built from the keel up as a PC carrier.

Todays PC Navy (aka Nanny Navy) is no longer about warfighting but political correctness and diversity. This has China, Russia and Islamist jihadist shaking in their boots.

Good grief. So the very existence of a urinal is sexist?

Next up: Captain's mast for leaving the seat up.

>" A spirited debate is spilling out onto U.S. military websites and forums following the Navy's decision to scrap urinals on aircraft carriers so as to accommodate female sailors. In a push toward "gender-neutral" ships, the Navy's new class of carriers will go without urinals for the first time, the Navy announced last week.

The Navy listed plenty of sensible reasons for the change, which will materialize on all future Gerald R. Ford class carriers beginning in late 2015. But given the length of time sailors are cooped up on carriers (often 6- to 9-month deployments), even slight changes can cause a stir.

"Navy is getting way too politically correct," wrote Steve Mcgaha in a thread on The Navy Times, an independent news source for sailors and their families. "Let's get back to projecting sea power ... and get rid of the NANNY NAVY." Others were worried about the logistical implications. "Great. As if there weren't enough pissed-on toilet seats on Aircraft Carriers," wrote Matt Metz on the same Navy Times thread. "I guess actual warfighting is pretty low on the list in today's big bucks, PC, diversity is our strength ... Navy," wrote Orville Seybert. In perhaps the most novel argument, Navy vet Timothy Ritchie argued that urinals aren't actually gender-specific. "In Europe all gender-neutral bathrooms have urinals. It is a matter of sanitation. And believe it or not even a female can use a properly placed urinal with a bit of practice."..."<

The Revolt Against Gender-Neutral Aircraft Carriers - John Hudson - The Atlantic Wire

EMI shielding is used.

This made me think of a couple of dreams I had right before I reported to the carrier. I had heard so many rumors about carriers, that my subconscious "predicted" what my experience would be. In the dream the carrier had a couple of fast food places (pretty sure KFC was one of them) and a mall.

The USS Ford is the Navy's first aircraft carrier to be built from the keel up as a PC carrier.

Todays PC Navy (aka Nanny Navy) is no longer about warfighting but political correctness and diversity. This has China, Russia and Islamist jihadist shaking in their boots.

>" A spirited debate is spilling out onto U.S. military websites and forums following the Navy's decision to scrap urinals on aircraft carriers so as to accommodate female sailors. In a push toward "gender-neutral" ships, the Navy's new class of carriers will go without urinals for the first time, the Navy announced last week.

The Navy listed plenty of sensible reasons for the change, which will materialize on all future Gerald R. Ford class carriers beginning in late 2015. But given the length of time sailors are cooped up on carriers (often 6- to 9-month deployments), even slight changes can cause a stir.

"Navy is getting way too politically correct," wrote Steve Mcgaha in a thread on The Navy Times, an independent news source for sailors and their families. "Let's get back to projecting sea power ... and get rid of the NANNY NAVY." Others were worried about the logistical implications. "Great. As if there weren't enough pissed-on toilet seats on Aircraft Carriers," wrote Matt Metz on the same Navy Times thread. "I guess actual warfighting is pretty low on the list in today's big bucks, PC, diversity is our strength ... Navy," wrote Orville Seybert. In perhaps the most novel argument, Navy vet Timothy Ritchie argued that urinals aren't actually gender-specific. "In Europe all gender-neutral bathrooms have urinals. It is a matter of sanitation. And believe it or not even a female can use a properly placed urinal with a bit of practice."..."<

The Revolt Against Gender-Neutral Aircraft Carriers - John Hudson - The Atlantic Wire

Urinals on ships never work anyway and absorb alot of maintenance time. Even you would have known that if you read the article you linked, which also mentioned that it makes it easier to move spacing around on ships. Of course, since you just want to whine and cry about stuff you know nothing about, you can't be expected to actually worry about facts like that...

This made me think of a couple of dreams I had right before I reported to the carrier. I had heard so many rumors about carriers, that my subconscious "predicted" what my experience would be. In the dream the carrier had a couple of fast food places (pretty sure KFC was one of them) and a mall.

Did you look for the bowling alley?

What is your fricking problem with doing away with urinals? You would think that this move would appease those upset about the DADT repeal, since it means that they won't get a chance to stare at your junk because you will be peeing behind a closed door.

But while I don't think urinals in general are sexist, it is a bit impractical to use urinals when you don't really know what parts of the ship will be used by males or females during its design. We had only a urinal in the plant. This meant that guys could go pee while on watch without needing a relief but women couldn't. Women had to call a qualified relief for a head break, which meant this is yet another thing that some guys could complain about women putting "extra duty" onto male sailors about despite this being a design issue.

Back
Top Bottom