• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where are our carriers today ?

EMI shielding is used.

Will that work if something is Right underneath or on top of them? 10 Million feet of cables......that's a lot of electrical wiring. Placed by human hands.

Will that work if something is Right underneath or on top of them? 10 Million feet of cables......that's a lot of electrical wiring. Placed by human hands.

I really do not know just how much it will absord. Since it takes it to ground I would assume a pretty large amount, but I could not swear to that. Do realize that alot of the cables are shielded themselves, but the topic is actually pretty complex. For example, navy ships use an insulated neutral system instead of traditional grounding. Roguenuke probably knows alot more about all this than I do.

Urinals on ships never work anyway and absorb alot of maintenance time. Even you would have known that if you read the article you linked, which also mentioned that it makes it easier to move spacing around on ships. Of course, since you just want to whine and cry about stuff you know nothing about, you can't be expected to actually worry about facts like that...

Ship ahoy Redress :2wave:

Have you ever served on a real fighting warship ?

Here's a photo of the toilets on a real fighting warship.

red%20toilet%20seat.jpg

Notice the red seat to port, I'm sure you know who has to sit on that seat ?

Enjoy: -> NavSource Destroyer Sumner Class Interior Photographs

View attachment 67155315

What that is is outdated and stupid to have that be any sort of "example" of what makes those ships fighting ships, particularly good ones. You shouldn't hang onto past designs just because they were from what you consider a "better time".

What that is is outdated and stupid to have that be any sort of "example" of what makes those ships fighting ships, particularly good ones. You shouldn't hang onto past designs just because they were from what you consider a "better time".

Those heads on those ships were plain, stupid and worked. Maintenance free.

There was one draw back, if you were on a small ship in rough seas you didn't want to be pooping at one of the ends of the troff.

I'm sure your well indoctrinated in naval customs. They use to teach those things back before the PC Navy. You know back in the day they use to take a dump on the deck at the head (bow) of the ship. Do you know what they used for TP ?

View attachment 67155315

This has what to do with urinals on a carrier. Your desperate attempt to change the topic from your proving that you once again don't know what you are talking about is unsurprising and transparent.

There was one draw back, if you were on a small ship in rough seas you didn't want to be pooping at one of the ends of the troff.

I'm sure your well indoctrinated in naval customs. They use to teach those things back before the PC Navy. You know back in the day they use to take a dump on the deck at the head (bow) of the ship. Do you know what they used for TP ?

Which doesn't mean any of those ways were sanitary or comfortable for the sailors. The "new" toilets/heads are much better and more sanitary. Plus, you can use the head even during rough seas (which is pretty important since a bunch of people still get sea sick during rough seas.

I simply don't care about Navy history as much as many of those from the "old Navy" (or any other branch) may want me too. It isn't that important to me. Hey, great so we get the phrase "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" from something completely not attributable to simian genitalia. That's an interesting bit of trivia but not exactly important to me doing my job. Being able to tell people what kind of "toilet paper" sailors in the past used also won't affect how well I do my job.

The teach navy traditions now. Or people can do like you and look them up on the internets to try and appear knowledgeable. But since you know so much, do you know why those toilets are not used any more? Hint: it's a good reason.

Either way.....should the Repubs gain control. These ships would be what we are using. They might have some drawbacks. But some of the stuff we have is amazing. Think about that Rail Gun used with wave technology.

The teach navy traditions now. Or people can do like you and look them up on the internets to try and appear knowledgeable. But since you know so much, do you know why those toilets are not used any more? Hint: it's a good reason.

I don't have to go to the internet, I'm old enough the have actually experienced much what I post.

I already mentioned why they don't use the old toilets.

Actually I was aboard an old County Class LSD back in 70 that hadn't gone through a conversion yet and still had the old toilets. It was hard keeping a straight face when some PFC who never been aboard a ship before walked to the end to take a dump when the ship was in rough seas. Hard knocks.

Why was having a GI bucket so important to be carrying in your sea bag when you got orders that you would be serving on a Colorado or New Mexico class BB during WW ll ?

I don't have to go to the internet, I'm old enough the have actually experienced much what I post.

I already mentioned why they don't use the old toilets.

Actually I was aboard an old County Class LSD back in 70 that hadn't gone through a conversion yet and still had the old toilets. It was hard keeping a straight face when some PFC who never been aboard a ship before walked to the end to take a dump when the ship was in rough seas. Hard knocks.

Why was having a GI bucket so important to be carrying in your sea bag when you got orders that you would be serving on a Colorado or New Mexico class BB during WW ll ?

Yeah but who else can even compare.....what other countries are building anything like these Carriers or Destroyers. Isn't that why they are all looking to go to drones and models?

Good day Admiral Wiggen. :2wave:

Now any man who has ever owned a home with young ladies living in them have experienced tampons blocking the sewer lines.

And as the Navy has discovered, that American women are just not the best looking women in the world but the sweetest smelling women in the world. That when it comes to personal hygiene and when mother nature calls, American females use three times more water aboard ship than the smelly sailors of the opposite sex.

American women, best looking in the world? You're taking the piss.

Good day Admiral Wiggen. :2wave:

Now any man who has ever owned a home with young ladies living in them have experienced tampons blocking the sewer lines.

And as the Navy has discovered, that American women are just not the best looking women in the world but the sweetest smelling women in the world. That when it comes to personal hygiene and when mother nature calls, American females use three times more water aboard ship than the smelly sailors of the opposite sex.

We had an issue where a guy on the ship wasn't taking a shower often enough (he was a pretty good sized guy) and he was getting heat rashes that would get infected. He got off watch for over 2 weeks for this while out to sea, leaving me and the other woman in the watch rotation to stand 6 and 6 the entire 2 weeks. 6 hours on watch, and 6 hours off watch for 336 hours at least. Plus, at least once for each of us, we also had to stand sea and anchor, which meant as soon as we got relieved by the other person, we had to stay in the plant as backup due to what the ship was doing for a few hours at least. We got very little sleep despite both of us being fully qualified watchstanders all because one guy didn't understand the importance of hygiene. So yes, we ensure that we get a frickin shower everyday. Working in a space that is normally over 100 degrees F under the vent tends to warrant daily showers.

However, I think that this number seems farfetched and is likely a myth since I know how much water we use per day on average on a carrier, and it hasn't really changed since they began operating these carriers. It isn't like water rationing didn't happen aboard ships prior to women being put aboard.

One of the problems with the Navy is that it likes to change to "new" systems without properly testing them for actual carrier life. This is what the main problem was for the Bush's sanitation system. I never heard of the problems the Bush is facing on any other ships, but I have personally witnessed similar problems with another system aboard our ship where basically the Navy changed out an older (admittedly not efficient) piece of equipment with new ones. It was obvious after the first month or two these new ones were onboard that they had never been tested for operation in our environment. We had to do maintenance on them twice as often at least than they said should ever be done. I don't think the manufacturer or those making these decisions understand at all what type of environment a Navy ship is. Now, for the sanitation systems, I'm not saying that the sanitary products should be ignored as a cause, but I am saying that if just one takes down half the boat's toilets, then that is a major problem because unfortunately people are people, and there are going to be stupid or untrainable people in the Navy, just as there are anywhere, including women.

Yeah but who else can even compare.....what other countries are building anything like these Carriers or Destroyers. Isn't that why they are all looking to go to drones and models?

The Japanese build some excellent warships. They just launched their first aircraft carrier since the end of WW ll a couple of months ago.

Japans Kongo and Murasame class destroyers are comparable to our Arliegh Burke destroyers.

I don't think the Japanese Navy allows women to serve aboard warships. But if the Japanese Navy goes PC, they will not have to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to PC their warships like the U.S. Navy has been forced to do. Japanese men and women have been bathing together at public bath houses for hundreds of years.

We had an issue where a guy on the ship wasn't taking a shower often enough (he was a pretty good sized guy) and he was getting heat rashes that would get infected. He got off watch for over 2 weeks for this while out to sea, leaving me and the other woman in the watch rotation to stand 6 and 6 the entire 2 weeks. 6 hours on watch, and 6 hours off watch for 336 hours at least. Plus, at least once for each of us, we also had to stand sea and anchor, which meant as soon as we got relieved by the other person, we had to stay in the plant as backup due to what the ship was doing for a few hours at least. We got very little sleep despite both of us being fully qualified watchstanders all because one guy didn't understand the importance of hygiene. So yes, we ensure that we get a frickin shower everyday. Working in a space that is normally over 100 degrees F under the vent tends to warrant daily showers.

However, I think that this number seems farfetched and is likely a myth since I know how much water we use per day on average on a carrier, and it hasn't really changed since they began operating these carriers. It isn't like water rationing didn't happen aboard ships prior to women being put aboard.

One of the problems with the Navy is that it likes to change to "new" systems without properly testing them for actual carrier life. This is what the main problem was for the Bush's sanitation system. I never heard of the problems the Bush is facing on any other ships, but I have personally witnessed similar problems with another system aboard our ship where basically the Navy changed out an older (admittedly not efficient) piece of equipment with new ones. It was obvious after the first month or two these new ones were onboard that they had never been tested for operation in our environment. We had to do maintenance on them twice as often at least than they said should ever be done. I don't think the manufacturer or those making these decisions understand at all what type of environment a Navy ship is. Now, for the sanitation systems, I'm not saying that the sanitary products should be ignored as a cause, but I am saying that if just one takes down half the boat's toilets, then that is a major problem because unfortunately people are people, and there are going to be stupid or untrainable people in the Navy, just as there are anywhere, including women.

I wish I could find the Navy Directive stopping the removal of urinals and installing gender friendly commodes on existing ships. The urinals use one pint of water per flush. The PC commodes use three pints of water. The existing ships black water holding tanks couldn't handle the increase of waste water.

All new ship construction will have the PC heads.

I didn't know that those in engineering had to stand deck watch. I always thought they were exempt.

We had a family friend who was the engineering officer on a destroyer during the 60's and he never had the duty or was the OD because his job was a 24 hour job. He didn't have the time to be the OD. I thought it was the same with the enlisted in the engineering divisions. Isn't that why they were called snipes ? They never got on deck to see the ocean while at sea.

I wish I could find the Navy Directive stopping the removal of urinals and installing gender friendly commodes on existing ships. The urinals use one pint of water per flush. The PC commodes use three pints of water. The existing ships black water holding tanks couldn't handle the increase of waste water.

All new ship construction will have the PC heads.

I didn't know that those in engineering had to stand deck watch. I always thought they were exempt.

We had a family friend who was the engineering officer on a destroyer during the 60's and he never had the duty or was the OD because his job was a 24 hour job. He didn't have the time to be the OD. I thought it was the same with the enlisted in the engineering divisions. Isn't that why they were called snipes ? They never got on deck to see the ocean while at sea.

And men have to use the sitdown types too, at least some. In fact, it is in fact better for men to pee sitting down.

10 Reasons Why You Should Teach Your Sons To Pee Sitting Down | Babble

Plus, how many women have to double flush compared to men who might have to?

We don't stand deck watch, we stand engineering watches. And part of restricted maneuvering/sea and anchor involves us standing extra watches down in the plant. We man the plants 24/7. That is why we don't stand any shipboard watches, because we need all of our people standing engineering watches.

The Japanese build some excellent warships. They just launched their first aircraft carrier since the end of WW ll a couple of months ago.

Japans Kongo and Murasame class destroyers are comparable to our Arliegh Burke destroyers.

I don't think the Japanese Navy allows women to serve aboard warships. But if the Japanese Navy goes PC, they will not have to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to PC their warships like the U.S. Navy has been forced to do. Japanese men and women have been bathing together at public bath houses for hundreds of years.

Heya Apache. :2wave: Yeah I heard the Japanese Navy is larger than the Brits now.

Heya Apache. :2wave: Yeah I heard the Japanese Navy is larger than the Brits now.

But the Royal Navy is building a 65,000 ton super carrier and a second one is likely in the pipeline.

In fact most of the worlds navies are building up their fleets with new warships as war clouds form over the western Pacific.

What will be interesting is what Russia will be putting to sea. They always come up with some interesting designs, most work and raise eye brows.
I hear their new strategy is three separate fleets, each with different classes of ships designed for waging a naval war in each of the Russian fleets AOR's. But still capable to project power any where in the world if needed.

Heya.....any other kool lookin Pics of Carries around? If so lets try and get some in here. ;)

But the Royal Navy is building a 65,000 ton super carrier and a second one is likely in the pipeline.

In fact most of the worlds navies are building up their fleets with new warships as war clouds form over the western Pacific.

What will be interesting is what Russia will be putting to sea. They always come up with some interesting designs, most work and raise eye brows.
I hear their new strategy is three separate fleets, each with different classes of ships designed for waging a naval war in each of the Russian fleets AOR's. But still capable to project power any where in the world if needed.

The brit's are building two carriers
One will be built and mothballed right away, the other will not have any plane on it for a few years, being reduced to being a helicopter carrier during that time. They have gone through a couple of design changes from being a VSTOL carrier to using catapults, and I believe back to VSTOL, meaning the marine version of the F35 (which is going to be late)

The USS Nimitz.....

uss_nitmitz_aircraft_carrier.jpg

us-aircraft-carrier-nimitz-off-s-korea-for-drill-1368312742-1519.jpg

The brit's are building two carriers
One will be built and mothballed right away, the other will not have any plane on it for a few years, being reduced to being a helicopter carrier during that time. They have gone through a couple of design changes from being a VSTOL carrier to using catapults, and I believe back to VSTOL, meaning the marine version of the F35 (which is going to be late)

At 65,000 tons it meets the definition as a super carrier. Larger than any American conventional carriers that were ever built.

With the United States going from being a world super power to just a world power, Great Britain along with Russia and China and maybe France are moving to fill that void that America held from 1945 to 2011.

Many of our future foes and even many of our allies believe that America has become to dependent on high technology and if those technologies are compromised, we can't fight. Also in a real "total war" because America relies to much on high technology, America would actually and literally would go broke with in months fighting a real war.

Back
Top Bottom