• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What would you do if this were your kid?

She's 18, it's not her mother's responsibility any longer. If she wants to experience the adverse health effects, let her. It's her life to change or ruin.

She's 18, it's not her mother's responsibility any longer. If she wants to experience the adverse health effects, let her. It's her life to change or ruin.
Now... but this started when the kid was 5 yrs old. The Parent(s) should have addressed this years ago.

Never let it get to that point.

But if it did, I'd stop investing in Ramen and start investing in some sort of food therapy.

I clicked the link on mobile, and it took me to a directory rather than to a story, but I'm assuming this is the ramen noodle one.

that being said, I would find other foods close to ramen noodles and try to work her into them, hoping that she'd follow the path.

if not, so be it. some kids are addicted to heroin, and this isn't the end of the world. I read a story about a girl who would only eat chicken nuggets, so this is something hard wired, most likely.

as an interesting aside, the open directory also contained a story about a mother who regretted having children, which I also found fascinating.

I think this is example of parents who refuse to tell their kid no when their kid was growing up.So as an adult she eats only ramen. Its no different than the parents with 200-300 pound 11 year olds. Parents make the choice of what food goes into the home, not the kid.Parents cook the food not the kid. Unless that kid is of a certain age and can cook and even then the parent still makes the choice as to what food comes into the house. Now my mom would have spanked my ass,stuck me in the corner and or grounded me until I ate all my food.There was no democracy when it came to food.

I realize the young woman is 18 years old and therefore an adult. So she can eat whatever the hell she likes. But the story says she has been eating ramen as the mainstay of her diet for 13 years. So that means that since she was five years old her mother has been fixing her mostly ramen noodles.

Her mother is moron for still buying her daughter ramen.Its like someone buying their alcoholic kids a bottle of whisky, buying their cigarette smoking kid a carton of cigs, giving money to their kid who is a junky.

I ****en love ramen/instant noodles. So I am not going to put down anyone for eating ramen a few days a week. I go to my local Asian grocery store to buy different kinds all the time.But I couldn't picture eating ramen every day.

This should have been addressed 14 years ago, the parent at that age especially is in charge and should take responsibility for what a child eats or doesn't eat, most kids don't like things, however the food has to be presented to find out what they like or don't like.

"Eat it or wear it. Your choice."

I'd tell her to start using her noodle.

Now... but this started when the kid was 5 yrs old. The Parent(s) should have addressed this years ago.

Or the parents can realize it's the child's choice. They should offer food (as they have), and the child could make their choice.

Libertarianism starts at birth?

Has got to be one of the most irresponsible things I have heard in a long time.

The parents obviously offered her other sources of food.

Or the parents can realize it's the child's choice. They should offer food (as they have), and the child could make their choice.

No. Children make stupid choices. That's why they have parents, to keep them from making stupid choices, like eating ramen noodles every meal, or having 28 packages of ketchup for dinner.

The parents should be brought up on charges of neglect, because that's exactly what is going on here. Years and years of neglect - of "sure, eat whatever you want, just don't bother Mummy" and now she's sickly. The first thing I thought of when I read the title of the article is "How can this be healthy? Those things are extremely high in fat and carbs."

So.... much... sodium. Doesn't seem like the fat or carb loading has effected her weight, but she should definitely be getting regular blood tests.

I actually like Ramen, but I make real Ramen not that $0.20 cent pack crap.

Right, she may have a high metabolism that keeps the weight off, but all that fat, all those carbs - has to be affecting her cholesterol. That much cholesterol = clogged arteries. At 18 years old.

No. Children make stupid choices. That's why they have parents, to keep them from making stupid choices, like eating ramen noodles every meal, or having 28 packages of ketchup for dinner.

The parents should be brought up on charges of neglect, because that's exactly what is going on here. Years and years of neglect - of "sure, eat whatever you want, just don't bother Mummy" and now she's sickly. The first thing I thought of when I read the title of the article is "How can this be healthy? Those things are extremely high in fat and carbs."

Does it say her mom did it for the convenience? It is not be healthy but, as I said, she's 18 now, it's her decision. She's been warned.

What about the other 13 years? She wasn't an adult then.

How do you force your child to eat something? If she wasn't feeding her, certainly, I'd agree it's neglect but that isn't the case now, is it? The daughter is responsible for her situation, not the mother.

How do you force your child to eat something? If she wasn't feeding her, certainly, I'd agree it's neglect but that isn't the case now, is it? The daughter is responsible for her situation, not the mother.

A 5 year old is not responsible for his or her eating habits - his parents are. Do you not have children? I'm guessing not, or you wouldn't be asking such a silly question. To force a child to eat, you put food down in front of them and tell them that if they don't eat their vegetables, they don't get dessert, or they don't get to play on the Xbox or they don't get to go outside and play basketball. If that still doesn't work, you use something else in your wheelhouse. Some parents make their children sit at the table until their plate is cleaned. Some people (my ex father in law) tell their children if they don't clean their plates, they have to have it for breakfast. I'm not that strict, though. I just offer a protein and 2 or 3 vegetables, and sometimes a starch. I let them choose 2 items, and when they choose them, they have to eat them. My 13 year old has been the pickiest eater in the history of picky eaters, and this is how I resolved my issue. I give her healthy options and let her choose. That way, she thinks she has the upper hand, when actually I do. But then, that actually takes work, and taking time to understand my daughter's needs - probably not something the mother in the OP was too concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom