• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Makes You Happy ?

To this point, nobody has picked up on the fact that Finland has been determined to be the happiest country on earth.

I would not be "happy" there. Way to cold and dark in the winter (which is probably 8 to 10 months....said tounge in cheek......I am from the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix)).

But some suggest that might be the reason they are so happy (cold and dark). They have to form communities to keep from letting it get to them.

So then, happiness does not appear to be what many think it is (and don't know because so many people I know seem unhappy).
We live in a mostly moderate climate because husband needs such. I would like to disagree with cold and dark. One can always put on more clothing, but one can only take off so much.
I love the cold, prefer wood stoves to air conditioning. Assuming that Finlandians are well prepared for the cold months ahead, Yeah, I can see that they are happy.

We live in a mostly moderate climate because husband needs such. I would like to disagree with cold and dark. One can always put on more clothing, but one can only take off so much.
I love the cold, prefer wood stoves to air conditioning. Assuming that Finlandians are well prepared for the cold months ahead, Yeah, I can see that they are happy.

I am not sure what you mean when you say you want to disagree with the cold and dark.

Finland is cold and in the winter it is dark. In December, the longest nights in Helsinki can be up to 19 hours long.

One can jump in the pool.....tough to jump in the fire 🥵🥵🥵.

But, I would never seek to argue the preferences of someone such as yourself. We all are unique in the combinations of things we like and don't like.

I just threw that out there as something someone said.

Here is an article I picked up and want to print. I believe the author is taking some liberties with the connection, but it's certainly worth discussing:

As a Nordic country, Finland has one of the most comprehensive packages of social benefits. The package includes family and housing benefits, unemployment benefits, survivor benefits, and many more. Finns also get free education and free healthcare. These are funded through heavy taxations.

The welfare policy takes care of even the average Finn from cradle to grave. It is not required to be some kind of a privileged member of society to avail social benefits. Every Finn is eligible for social protection as the welfare system is founded on a principle of universal rights based on citizenship.

The article then goes on to say:

If happiness is measured by assessing how outwardly joyous or cheerful a nation is, Latin American countries will dominate the list while Finland will be nowhere near the top, said Martela. Finnish-American journalist Anu Partanen terms Finns pessimistic by nature and emotionally reserved. She said Finns are ranked the happiest people as the happiness study measures the quality of life, not outward expressions of happy feelings.

Which now mixes happiness with the quality of life.

The article then takes some shots at America but I think fails to point out a few things that are inherent to their systems working so "well".

First, Finaland's population is a little over five million people. 25 states in the United States have larger populations. And, in fact, we have several metro areas that are larger (Phoenix is rated at 1.7 million, but the overall Valley of the Sun has a population of 4.9 million). All this says is that the U.S. is much more diverse because of it's huge population. Also, we have geography that feels a lot like Finland (cold) while where I live it is hot.

Second, there is a pretty strong sense of Finnish culture that practices what they call "sisu", which (from what I gather) means sucking it up in the face of adversity and getting after life. No whinning, no complaining......show some toughness. The excact opposite of what we have here in America. I have a lot to learn here....but I suspect that the Finns (from what I read....a rather stoic and reserved group) simply don't "go for woke" like we do in the U.S. providing as many safe spaces for people as we have car models.

Third, the Finns embrace a form of minimalism, which means they have moderate expectations and are now always disappointed. The have a conscious collective push towards specific consumption and an avoidance of "crap" (extra stuff). This allows them to focus on being part of a world community and more easily make sacrifices in the name of being a better global member.

It's been a fascinating look so far.

Last edited:
I am not sure what you mean when you say you want to disagree with the cold and dark.

Finland is cold and in the winter it is dark. In December, the longest nights in Helsinki can be up to 19 hours long.

One can jump in the pool.....tough to jump in the fire 🥵🥵🥵.

But, I would never seek to argue the preferences of someone such as yourself. We all are unique in the combinations of things we like and don't like.

I just threw that out there as something someone said.

Here is an article I picked up and want to print. I believe the author is taking some liberties with the connection, but it's certainly worth discussing:

As a Nordic country, Finland has one of the most comprehensive packages of social benefits. The package includes family and housing benefits, unemployment benefits, survivor benefits, and many more. Finns also get free education and free healthcare. These are funded through heavy taxations.

The welfare policy takes care of even the average Finn from cradle to grave. It is not required to be some kind of a privileged member of society to avail social benefits. Every Finn is eligible for social protection as the welfare system is founded on a principle of universal rights based on citizenship.

The article then goes on to say:

If happiness is measured by assessing how outwardly joyous or cheerful a nation is, Latin American countries will dominate the list while Finland will be nowhere near the top, said Martela. Finnish-American journalist Anu Partanen terms Finns pessimistic by nature and emotionally reserved. She said Finns are ranked the happiest people as the happiness study measures the quality of life, not outward expressions of happy feelings.

Which now mixes happiness with the quality of life.

The article then takes some shots at America but I think fails to point out a few things that are inherent to their systems working so "well".

First, Finaland's population is a little over five million people. 25 states in the United States have larger populations. And, in fact, we have several metro areas that are larger (Phoenix is rated at 1.7 million, but the overall Valley of the Sun has a population of 4.9 million). All this says is that the U.S. is much more diverse because of it's huge population. Also, we have geography that feels a lot like Finland (cold) while where I live it is hot.

Second, there is a pretty strong sense of Finnish culture that practices what they call "sisu", which (from what I gather) means sucking it up in the face of adversity and getting after life. No whinning, no complaining......show some toughness. The excact opposite of what we have here in America. I have a lot to learn here....but I suspect that the Finns (from what I read....a rather stoic and reserved group) simply don't "go for woke" like we do in the U.S. providing as many safe spaces for people as we have car models.

Third, the Finns embrace a form of minimalism, which means they have moderate expectations and are now always disappointed. The have a conscious collective push towards specific consumption and an avoidance of "crap" (extra stuff). This allows them to focus on being part of a world community and more easily make sacrifices in the name of being a better global member.

It's been a fascinating look so far.
Cold and dark is just not that scary for some people, that's all.

Not a problem.

I have a daughter who doesn't think it's camping unless you can scrape the ice crystals off the inside of your tent.

Telling me that the government created my success is clown car laughable.
LOL.

They’ve literally paid your salary and now your pension for the bulk of your entire life.

How does that work? I mean, you literally devote your life to one purpose, and suddenly, you adamantly stand against that purpose, while still being proud enough to use it as your name. I don’t get it.

LOL.

They’ve literally paid your salary and now your pension for the bulk of your entire life.

How does that work? I mean, you literally devote your life to one purpose, and suddenly, you adamantly stand against that purpose, while still being proud enough to use it as your name. I don’t get it.
My decisions created my success not the government.

Just because I signed a mutual contract with the US Navy doesn't mean they handed me any freebies.

It stands to reason that you have no idea what the word "incentives" actually means.

Back to the topic folks.

What makes you happy ?

Any of you do any reading on Finland ?

In looking at other articles.....

Number 1: Close relationships (family and otherwise).

Number 2: Engaging work.

Number 3: Service to others.

These seem to be high on most lists.

One thing that does not make the list:

Money.

I believe happiness is a product of one's own will. I have seen poor and destitute people happy in the face of adversity and rich or allegedly fulfilled people miserable while materially comfortable. Will allows people to overcome misery and adversity while another course of will makes people with advantageous blessings still feel miserable. If a society couples the fostering of personal will with the education and opportunity to have a measure of success in that society, then that is usually a recipe for societal success and generally higher levels of happiness.

What makes me happy? My Determination to be happy, Learning, Thinking, Service to others, Teaching, Family, Friends, Hobbies and solitude to reflect in the local wilderness. Notice that I am selfish and put family in the middle of the list. That's because happiness is a somewhat egocentric condition in my mind.

Finally, freeing one's self from want is a pathway to happiness and yoking one's self to greed and excessive ambition are parallel pathways to misery IMHO.

Cheers, be well and BE happy!
Evilroddy.

Anymore, the best feeling is lieing down in a cool bed at the end of the day. Cool, clean sheets and reading a few pages of whatever book I am currently engaged in until overtaken by sleep………………the plunge, as it were…….

I will be much happier in two days when this awful business trip is over.

I believe happiness is a product of one's own will. I have seen poor and destitute people happy in the face of adversity and rich or allegedly fulfilled people miserable while materially comfortable. Will allows people to overcome misery and adversity while another course of will makes people with advantageous blessings still feel miserable. If a society couples the fostering of personal will with the education and opportunity to have a measure of success in that society, then that is usually a recipe for societal success and generally higher levels of happiness.

What makes me happy? My Determination to be happy, Learning, Thinking, Service to others, Teaching, Family, Friends, Hobbies and solitude to reflect in the local wilderness. Notice that I am selfish and put family in the middle of the list. That's because happiness is a somewhat egocentric condition in my mind.

Finally, freeing one's self from want is a pathway to happiness and yoking one's self to greed and excessive ambition are parallel pathways to misery IMHO.

Cheers, be well and BE happy!
Evilroddy.

Expectations have a great deal to do with it.

Making sure they are well aligned is important.

That is a choice (or, as you put it, will).

I always enjoyed this story. It is worth pondering.....

Once upon a time, there was a nonconforming sparrow who decided not to fly south for the winter. However, soon the weather turned so cold that he reluctantly started southward. In a short time, ice began to form on his wings and he fell to earth in a barnyard, almost frozen. A cow passed by and crapped on the little sparrow. The sparrow thought it was the end. But then the manure warmed him and defrosted his wings. Warm and happy, able to breathe, he started to sing. Just then a large cat came by and hearing the chirping, investigated the sounds. The cat cleared away the manure, found the chirping sparrow and promptly ate him.

Now, it may seem that there are no lessons here, but there are. In fact, there are three:

1. Everyone who shits on you is not necessarily your enemy.
2. Everyone who gets you out of shit is not necessarily your friend.
3. If you’re warm and happy in a pile of shit, keep your mouth shut.

My family.

My gardens

That first sip of coffee in the morning

Being out in the ocean…far outside the range of cell phones.

“Good” ice - and having it readily available from the pricey “good ice” machine I splurged on
plus:

Good beer
Fine whisky

My 3 L's. Linear Algebra, Laiphroaig, and my Love. :) Not necessarily in that order and despite the fact they don't lend themselves to concurrent enjoyment.

Ohhh... I almost forgot, there's a fourth - a Lee Shore. I'm never happy without a challenge.

There's also the Law... and Learning. Always Learning. And Low Pressure systems always make my day interesting. Lyndon Johnson and Legislative maneuvering.

Pretty much anything that begins with "L" that isn't losing.

Last edited:
What makes me happy?

Coming home at night after working at a fantastic job, and sitting at the kitchen table, having the dog go nuts when she sees me, and watching my fella cook a fabulous meal for me, while we talk and laugh and joke about bullshit. Then after we eat, we go out into the garage and work on songs together, or lay tracks, or learn new songs, or redraw the plans for our house for the 700th time. I also love our Saturday nights, spent with all our friends. We drink too much, eat too much, and smoke too much, but it's relaxing as hell. We play music and just enjoy each others' company. Usually a handful of people crash at our house, and then I make homemade biscuits and gravy for breakfast, then they leave and he and I crash on the sofa and watch movies.

For those who know me from "way back when," this kind of peace and happiness is a long time coming for me. I will never, ever take it for granted.

What about Seasonal affective disorder @Lovebug ? Some areas of Scandanavia only get about 90 minutes a day of sunlight in winter. Could you live like that? not sure i could.

What makes me happy?

Coming home at night after working at a fantastic job, and sitting at the kitchen table, having the dog go nuts when she sees me, and watching my fella cook a fabulous meal for me, while we talk and laugh and joke about bullshit. Then after we eat, we go out into the garage and work on songs together, or lay tracks, or learn new songs, or redraw the plans for our house for the 700th time. I also love our Saturday nights, spent with all our friends. We drink too much, eat too much, and smoke too much, but it's relaxing as hell. We play music and just enjoy each others' company. Usually a handful of people crash at our house, and then I make homemade biscuits and gravy for breakfast, then they leave and he and I crash on the sofa and watch movies.

For those who know me from "way back when," this kind of peace and happiness is a long time coming for me. I will never, ever take it for granted.
This what made me happy today @Superfly .😍

What about Seasonal affective disorder @Lovebug ? Some areas of Scandanavia only get about 90 minutes a day of sunlight in winter. Could you live like that? not sure i could.
Some people, some.

I am very happy. I just spent 11 days on a road trip in an RV with just 3 of my siblings, exploring our roots and just hanging together. It was amazing. You'd think a bunch of 60-something curmudgeons would drive each other nuts, but it was exactly the opposite. VERY fulfilled.

Back
Top Bottom