• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Makes You Happy ?

HikerGuy83

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The function and priority of government seems to be at the heart of many of the reasonable discussion on this board.

I thought to start a couple of threads on the role of government, but as I podered the objectives of government, I kept coming back to considerations of what we might want in our lives. Or, in other words, what is it in our lives that fulfills us and makes us “happy”.

So I did some digging on the internet to get a basis for such a discussion.

In one article, it suggests that there are four things most of us consider key in our lives:

Happiness

Meaning

Success

Integrity

Another article lists 18 things that will help us have a more fullfilling life:

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/18-basic-rules-lead-fulfilling-life.html

This article talks about 5 elements of a fullfilled life:

https://mindbodyhypnotherapy.com/5-elements-of-a-fulfilled-life/

And there are many many more.

Changing directions:

I then followed up on something I heard a while ago about the happiest country. In 2021, it was Finland. Apparently, it’s been Finland for the past four years. Norway and Sweden are high on the list as is Denmark. This designation is based on some statistical analysis of a survey (I presume). It was interesting to read some of the thoughts on why the countries in this area are, based on self-reporting, very happy places to be.

Here was one look at Finland:

https://www.afar.com/magazine/7-lessons-learned-from-the-happiest-country-in-the-world

Again, very insightful.

And so I ask you to share in a conversation about what it is that you feel is fundamental to your basic, true joy or happiness.

We’ll use this discussion to springboard into a conversation about what it is that we are personally looking for from government and why it will contribute to your fundamental happiness.

Thank you in advance for staying on topic and sharing whatever you feel.

Seeing my kids and their kids do well.

A 70's score on my card.

Seeing strangers help others.

A good beer/wine while sitting on the boat at the marina.

Seeing people succeed in life.

The government doesn't have anything to do with these things.

My family.

My gardens

That first sip of coffee in the morning

Being out in the ocean…far outside the range of cell phones.

“Good” ice - and having it readily available from the pricey “good ice” machine I splurged on

My various personal projects

Learning new skills

My kids and other family members

The right pun at the right time

religious observance

Tuesday night role playing games with the buds

Feeling secure financially, socially, and emotionally ( I strongly gravitate towards stability)

A 70's score on my card.

Seeing strangers help others.

A good beer/wine while sitting on the boat at the marina.

Didn’t the government give you a choice back when you were at a fork in the road of life?

I made my own choice.

The Navy was available.

Huge difference.
Huge difference as opposed to what?

By your own posts you were offered a choice did I misunderstand what the choices were?

Huge difference as opposed to what?

By your own posts you were offered a choice did I misunderstand what the choices were?

The government had nothing to do with my life choices in regards to happiness.

It happened that I joined the Navy and had a hell of a ride for 20 years.

The government had nothing to do with my life choices in regards to happiness.

It happened that I joined the Navy and had a hell of a ride for 20 years.
Not going to beat a dead horse, but was I wrong remembering that the judicial system was involved in your “choice?”

I use to get a lot of enjoyment from my work, but I retired.
It's been difficult since then, I eeek out happiness in my daily life in much smaller proportion.

Government has something to do with every one of those things.

You were conditioned to think like this.
It's no wonder why we have so many *****'s out there.
You don't know anything about me RetiredUSN, and certainly can't claim to know how I've been "conditioned". That's a personal attack when you get right down to it.

Your argument is absurd. We use government to enforce so many levels of society, boat safety, national security, etc., that it permeates all of our lives. Government is a tool and how we run our government, and what rules our government works on, matters. Admitting that is rational. In a post about happiness you just couldn't resist government bashing...as you apparently what, retire on a government pension? Good lord.

You don't know anything about me RetiredUSN, and certainly can't claim to know how I've been "conditioned". That's a personal attack when you get right down to it.

Your argument is absurd. We use government to enforce so many levels of society, boat safety, national security, etc., that it permeates all of our lives. Government is a tool and how we run our government, and what rules our government works on, matters. Admitting that is rational. In a post about happiness you just couldn't resist government bashing...as you apparently what, retire on a government pension? Good lord.

Telling me that the government created my success is clown car laughable.

I suspect that can be argued, but would prefer to avoid that here in The Lounge.

May I suggest a few things without knocking a chip off of your shoulder ?

FYI: I am a conservative.....just for reference.

That isn't the point of this thread.
This needs to be low key and focused.
True. I contributed to that, but didn't see the forum.

I suppose my pets
walks around the neighborhood
watching some good shows on streaming
I agree with Birdinhand, that first (cup) of coffee is a highlight
Breakfast, snacks, lunch, and dinner...food is a big part of what I look forward to in a day.

I use to really enjoy PC games but don't seem to find much I enjoy these days, it's kind of left a hole in my hobbies.

The function and priority of government seems to be at the heart of many of the reasonable discussion on this board.

I thought to start a couple of threads on the role of government, but as I podered the objectives of government, I kept coming back to considerations of what we might want in our lives. Or, in other words, what is it in our lives that fulfills us and makes us “happy”.

In one article, it suggests that there are four things most of us consider key in our lives:

Happiness

Meaning

Success

Integrity
Those last 3 are directly tied to a persons self worth, which is vital to a persons happiness.

In order for life to have meaning, a person needs to take on as much responsibility as they are capable of. That also ties with success, and I'm not talking necessarily about financial success, but rather success in life's endeavors. Honesty and integrity also play an important role in a person's self worth.

I then followed up on something I heard a while ago about the happiest country. In 2021, it was Finland. Apparently, it’s been Finland for the past four years. Norway and Sweden are high on the list as is Denmark. This designation is based on some statistical analysis of a survey (I presume). It was interesting to read some of the thoughts on why the countries in this area are, based on self-reporting, very happy places to be.
Happiness is a relative term. It can have different meanings, to different people, at different times. It's a matter of perspective. I've know many people who have claimed that they are happy, but in reality are miserable inside.

I spend a lot of time in Mexico, and although they have less money and possessions than Americans do, they are no less happy.

My family.

My gardens

That first sip of coffee in the morning

Being out in the ocean…far outside the range of cell phones.

“Good” ice - and having it readily available from the pricey “good ice” machine I splurged on
We love our ice too, lol. The machine I bought makes those pearl sized cubes aaah

I recognize the impetus to respond to churlishness with churlishness. But I'm also aware of the difficulty in keeping Loft topics lofty.

I'm a very happy person. I'm very comfortable in my skin. I have been able to stay that way by being true to my convictions, and that, I think, is the key to everything.

As far as satisfaction, I'm comfortable, economically, which makes it easier. I love learning, I love creating, I love family. I want those things for others, too, so I feel satisfaction in working toward helping others to achieve that. Some of that is through government, much of it is not. (It is silly, however, to the extent of being ridiculous, to assert government has no role. That's just absurd.)

Happiness

Meaning

Success

Integrity

Another article lists 18 things that will help us have a more fullfilling life:

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/18-basic-rules-lead-fulfilling-life.html

This article talks about 5 elements of a fullfilled life:

https://mindbodyhypnotherapy.com/5-elements-of-a-fulfilled-life/

And there are many many more.

Changing directions:

Here was one look at Finland:

https://www.afar.com/magazine/7-lessons-learned-from-the-happiest-country-in-the-world

Again, very insightful.

And so I ask you to share in a conversation about what it is that you feel is fundamental to your basic, true joy or happiness.

We’ll use this discussion to springboard into a conversation about what it is that we are personally looking for from government and why it will contribute to your fundamental happiness.

Thank you in advance for staying on topic and sharing whatever you feel.
Meaningful individuality, which come through service...........

BTW-----government has nothing to do with it. It is up to the individual to be 'happy'

(It is silly, however, to the extent of being ridiculous, to assert government has no role. That's just absurd.)

To be addressed in another thread.

I understand his statement.....but think it is limited in it's perspective.....

Regardless.

The point of this thread is to discuss what makes us happy.

I was surprised to see Finland was tops for four years.

But it's not for the reasons we think (at least I believe we see things differently).

Welcome your thoughts on that.

Back
Top Bottom