• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

what is your typical regimen for diet/exercise?

liblady

pirate lover
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
i've been trying to change my eating/drinking habits for about a month, and am working out regularly. 3-4 times per week. have only lost 4 pounds. i'm very frustrated.

typical intake for a day:

v-8 or protein shake, protein bar
whole wheat wrap, roast beef/chicken and cheese, fruit
chicken breast, small amount mashed potatoes/rice, broccolli
sugar free pudding
nuts
yogurt

typical exercise: 3-4 times weekly

30-45 minutes "random hill" treadmill
core or weights, 20 - 30 minutes

weekends are definitely a little more lax. wine, a few more snacks, but i try to stay away from anything fried. i eat cereal sometimes for dinner, 1% milk.

WHEN WILL I LOSE SOME DAMN WEIGHT?????? i quit smoking 2 1/2 yrs ago and put on 25 pounds, and i need to take it off.

i've been trying to change my eating/drinking habits for about a month, and am working out regularly. 3-4 times per week. have only lost 4 pounds. i'm very frustrated.

sugar free pudding
nuts
yogurt

weekends are definitely a little more lax. wine, a few more snacks, but i try to stay away from anything fried. i eat cereal sometimes for dinner, 1% milk.

WHEN WILL I LOSE SOME DAMN WEIGHT?????? i quit smoking 2 1/2 yrs ago and put on 25 pounds, and i need to take it off.

Good for you for quitting smoking. When I look at your menu, I can't imagine why you aren't losing weight unless your portions are VERY large. Or unless you're drinking wine every day -- more than just a couple glasses, too. Or, three handfuls of nutz. Sounds like you should be losing 2# a week on your diet. Even w/o the exercise. Huh.

Have you had a check-up lately? Like, is a lot of your weight water weight? Otherwise, just keep at it. Gads!!

Good for you for quitting smoking. When I look at your menu, I can't imagine why you aren't losing weight unless your portions are VERY large. Or unless you're drinking wine every day -- more than just a couple glasses, too. Or, three handfuls of nutz. Sounds like you should be losing 2# a week on your diet. Even w/o the exercise. Huh.

Have you had a check-up lately? Like, is a lot of your weight water weight? Otherwise, just keep at it. Gads!!

wine only on the weekend, maybe a bottle. even three handfuls of nuts shouldn't be that bad, but no, i don't eat that many. maybe i'm building muscle. ;-(

I don't really have a special diet. I do try to avoid excessive high-fat and greasy foods (but not complete avoidance). My caloric intact in a particular day depends largely on the training I am doing... I am tapering down for the race season now so I am reducing my calories as I reduce the length (but increase the intensity) of my workouts...

As for exercise, it is important to vary it. Don't do the same thing every day. Personally, I have never been a big fan of the treadmill. Once in a while, fine. But it shouldn't be your only or even primary aerobic exercise. Get outside, make your runs more varied, get a bike... Go out for a long, slow run once a week and a couple of times a week go for a shorter, more intense run. Don't let your body get used to the same exercise routine all the time... varying it with different types of workouts will make it work more as well as provide varied work for your muscles as well....

If you do it about 500 times a day, I suppose... I am going to go out for a light 8-9km run if this rain lets up....

:rofl
i admire your dedication to exercise, but my excuse is i need the layer of fat 'cause its winter :mrgreen:

:rofl
i admire your dedication to exercise, but my excuse is i need the layer of fat 'cause its winter :mrgreen:

I am also a competitive semi-professional athlete...

BTW -- didn't get the run in because the rain didn't stop and I don't want to risk injury just as the racing season is about to begin... :(

Last edited:

sugar free pudding
nuts
yogurt

Losing 1 pound per week is actually exactly where you should be. Since you only have 25 to lose, I'm guessing you're not that big to begin with. Losing weight too quickly will give you gross, loose skin, and you will be more likely to put the weight back on. Don't think of it as a temporary diet to get skinny quickly. Think of it as changing your eating/exercise habits for a lifetime.

My typical food regimen is much more rigid than in the summer. Because we are so active this time of year, I'm usually trying to eat extra calories, and that means eating a lot of "bad" foods (yum!).

I don't think your menu looks bad, but I would tweak a few things. First, are you getting enough calories to maintain that exercise? If you're not eating enough, your body will store fat. BTW, don't be afraid to eat healthy fats like those found in nuts. I snack on almonds all day long, and I don't worry one bit about the fat in them. Good fats and plenty of protein, baby! Can't go wrong there.

You should also take a look at your carb intake. Carbs aren't necessary an enemy, but they should be balanced with protein and good fats. Do you really need those mashed potatoes and rice? Eat dinner with lots of protein and veggies, and ignore the recommended starch. Go ahead an snarf down a massive steak. Just forgo the french fries that go along with it.

As far as alcohol goes, wine isn't bad. Just do your weigh in before your weekend and not after.

Weights 3x per week.
Swimming 2-3x per week.
Weekends off.

Food wise... my strategy is to eat whole foods (defined as: foods with one or two ingredients but no other artificial additives, like rice, organic chicken, lettuce, olive oil/vinegar dressings, etc.) and to eat as diverse a range of foods as possible. I don't stick to menu planning for each day and I tend to not eat the same thing two days in a row unless I have a lot of leftovers.

I'm a lacto-vegetarian. I eat a lot of whole foods, and especially a lot of flax seed, which I grind fresh daily in my coffee grinder and sprinkle on everything.
I do eat a lot of junk food, too, though.

I ride my bike for transportation if I'm not going too far, in-line skate a couple of nights a week, and row on my rowing machine for about half an hour, five times a week.

:shrug:

Morning: kefir, eggs (boiled is the most convenient), whole wheat toast, turkey bacon, protein shake (25g of whey), orange juice, apples and water.

Prior to working out: Protein shake (25g), NO2 explode (two scoops).

Right after working out: Protein shake (25g), 2.5g of creatine hydrochloride, 5g of glutamine (in peptide form), glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement.

Lunch: Whole wheat pasta, sandwich (usually sliced chicken breast), small salad, milk and cheese.

If i play ball or spar, i might eat a bowl of pasta or rice about an hour and a half prior.

Dinner: Meat (chicken, beef, pork, lamb, veal), two-three servings of vegetables (asparagus and broccoli are a favorite), potato/pasta/rice, cottage cheese, and milk.

Before bed: 2.5g of creatine hydrochloride, 2.5g of micellar casein and a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement.

Typical meals:

Protein shake before work
Yogurt at work before lunch
Lunch varies widely, from salads, to cans of tuna, to leftovers from whatever I had for dinner the night before. (roast and veggies, salmon and veggies, chicken, etc, etc)
Boiled egg for snack
Protein shake when I get home
Dinner varies widely - sometimes I just drink another protein shake, but most often I have some kind of meat (steak, roast, chicken, salmon, mahi mahi) and fresh veggies (spinach, corn, beets, green beans, squash, etc)
Popcorn frequently as a snack
Usually a glass or two of wine - otherwise I drink water all day

All tolled, I stay at about 1500 calories per day and around 100g of protein and 100g of carbs

Working out:
Morning: 1hr of free weights (P90X Free weight workouts)
Evening: 45 min of cardio (Insanity)
2 miles of speed walking Mon - Fri

And don't feel bad, I haven't been losing weight either. :( But I have dropped a size! :)

Fitness Routine
Mon - Fri = body-weight strength training (pushups, pullups, dips).

Diet
Meal 1: 3 raw eggs with high-protein milk (local brand called "Mootopia" - 12gr protein per cup).
Meal 2: 2 large cups coffee with two peices of wheat toast and real butter.
Meal 3: Large salad with no dressing.
Meal 4: 1 Muscle Milk protein shake.
Meal 5: 1 full serving chicken (about 15 ounces).
Meal 6: 2 glasses of high-protein milk, almonds, cashews, nuts.
Meal 7: small serving of chicken (grilled) and small salad.

If anyone needs diet info, go to my fitness website: Blank.

Your enemy will always be: Sugar and Processed Carbs (white bread, fast food, pizza, etc.)

Fitness Routine

Diet
Meal 1: 3 raw eggs with high-protein milk (local brand called "Mootopia" - 12gr protein per cup).

Your enemy will always be: Sugar and Processed Carbs (white bread, fast food, pizza, etc.)

Just because I've never done it before, I want to ask... do you find the raw eggs really work well for you? I mean, can you feel the difference if you don't use them?

orion,

I've found raw eggs to be THE BEST way to ingest pure, undiluted, clear protein into my body. I purchase organic, cage-free, non-hormonal eggs (no B Vitamin injections or added proteins) and found them to be the best. I crack three into a glass and add about two cups of high-protein milk. That usually gives me about 45gr of protein (nearly a third of my daily intake) for breakfast.

I've tried to put some of my clients on raw eggs ... nothing doing. Can't blame them though. The taste is horrid.

I have to admit something about throwing them back now, after about 10 years ... 20min after I swallow them down - I get this really sensational feeling. Vince Gironda (1917-1997) , the legendary trainer in California who trained Schwarzennegger stated that raw eggs will actually give you a "steroid rush" due to the packed vitamins and minerals which is probably what I have felt each time I eat them.

Here is a good explanation of whats in raw eggs from a fitness trainer:

Many people’s diets are deficient in high quality proteins and fats, and eggs are one the very best sources of these. Raw eggs have many benefits, they contain essential nutrients for the brain, nerves, glands and hormones, they are nutritionally balanced, and we highly recommend the addition of raw eggs to your nutritional programme. The sulphur amino acids help to keep you young, raw eggs also contain an abundance of other vital substances including protein, essential fatty acids along with niacin, riboflavin, biotin, choline, vitamins A, D and E, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, iron, iodine, copper, zinc and sulphur. Egg yolks are one of the few foods that contain vitamin D.

Great thread. I've been trying to get back in shape as well. I'm not ready to give up my smokes. Maybe I'll cut back. :)

Johnny,

No need to give them up completely. Just cut back.

If you give em up ... your gonna eat. A lot. A HELL of a lot! :lol:

After I gave up smoking I ballooned out to about 205. I cut back to several a day before I quit all together (I smoked a pipe and a cig or two).

Just cut back and you'll see your ability to enjoy a cig or two a day, not a handicap at all.

I do miss my smokes though ....

I don't really have a special diet. I do try to avoid excessive high-fat and greasy foods (but not complete avoidance). My caloric intact in a particular day depends largely on the training I am doing... I am tapering down for the race season now so I am reducing my calories as I reduce the length (but increase the intensity) of my workouts...

As for exercise, it is important to vary it. Don't do the same thing every day. Personally, I have never been a big fan of the treadmill. Once in a while, fine. But it shouldn't be your only or even primary aerobic exercise. Get outside, make your runs more varied, get a bike... Go out for a long, slow run once a week and a couple of times a week go for a shorter, more intense run. Don't let your body get used to the same exercise routine all the time... varying it with different types of workouts will make it work more as well as provide varied work for your muscles as well....

i don't, and won't, run. i hate it. i use the "random hill" feature on the treadmill. i sail nearly every weekend, bike occasionally. i work out with weights. i do understand the importance of varied workouts, and am trying to do that.....i just don't run. yuk.

Fitness Routine

Diet

where's the veggies?

orion,

I've found raw eggs to be THE BEST way to ingest pure, undiluted, clear protein into my body. I purchase organic, cage-free, non-hormonal eggs (no B Vitamin injections or added proteins) and found them to be the best. I crack three into a glass and add about two cups of high-protein milk. That usually gives me about 45gr of protein (nearly a third of my daily intake) for breakfast.

I've tried to put some of my clients on raw eggs ... nothing doing. Can't blame them though. The taste is horrid.

I have to admit something about throwing them back now, after about 10 years ... 20min after I swallow them down - I get this really sensational feeling. Vince Gironda (1917-1997) , the legendary trainer in California who trained Schwarzennegger stated that raw eggs will actually give you a "steroid rush" due to the packed vitamins and minerals which is probably what I have felt each time I eat them.

Here is a good explanation of whats in raw eggs from a fitness trainer:

Many people’s diets are deficient in high quality proteins and fats, and eggs are one the very best sources of these. Raw eggs have many benefits, they contain essential nutrients for the brain, nerves, glands and hormones, they are nutritionally balanced, and we highly recommend the addition of raw eggs to your nutritional programme. The sulphur amino acids help to keep you young, raw eggs also contain an abundance of other vital substances including protein, essential fatty acids along with niacin, riboflavin, biotin, choline, vitamins A, D and E, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, iron, iodine, copper, zinc and sulphur. Egg yolks are one of the few foods that contain vitamin D.

why raw?????

Great thread. I've been trying to get back in shape as well. I'm not ready to give up my smokes. Maybe I'll cut back. :)

just quit. i used chantix.......of course, that's when i gained all this weight that i am now trying to take off. but still, i am healthier.

Typical meals:

Protein shake before work
Yogurt at work before lunch
Lunch varies widely, from salads, to cans of tuna, to leftovers from whatever I had for dinner the night before. (roast and veggies, salmon and veggies, chicken, etc, etc)
Boiled egg for snack
Protein shake when I get home
Dinner varies widely - sometimes I just drink another protein shake, but most often I have some kind of meat (steak, roast, chicken, salmon, mahi mahi) and fresh veggies (spinach, corn, beets, green beans, squash, etc)
Popcorn frequently as a snack
Usually a glass or two of wine - otherwise I drink water all day

All tolled, I stay at about 1500 calories per day and around 100g of protein and 100g of carbs

Working out:
Morning: 1hr of free weights (P90X Free weight workouts)
Evening: 45 min of cardio (Insanity)
2 miles of speed walking Mon - Fri

And don't feel bad, I haven't been losing weight either. :( But I have dropped a size! :)

i just started protein shakes. yesterday, a blind friend told me i "looked" slimmer, meaning when we hugged he could feel a difference in my body. that felt great.

just quit. i used chantix.......of course, that's when i gained all this weight that i am now trying to take off. but still, i am healthier.

I had already started gaining some weight before I quit, but when I quit that just sent the weight gain into overdrive. Between my thyroid going wonky and quitting smoking, I was doomed. LOL

However, my blood pressure is normal now and my doc says that I have incredible lung volume and even questioned the fact that I had smoked as long as I said I had. :lol:

I had already started gaining some weight before I quit, but when I quit that just sent the weight gain into overdrive. Between my thyroid going wonky and quitting smoking, I was doomed. LOL

However, my blood pressure is normal now and my doc says that I have incredible lung volume and even questioned the fact that I had smoked as long as I said I had. :lol:

that's awesome....my doc also said my lungs seemd pretty good for a long time smoker. now she says i need to take off the extra weight...lol. i told her a 50 yr old woman needs a few extra pounds to smooth out the wrinkles. she didn't buy it.

Back
Top Bottom