• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

what is your typical regimen for diet/exercise?

Try interval training instead of the treadmill. Should get your cardio up. I've been trying Shaun T's Insanity Workout for two weeks and I have lost about 8 lbs and noticed a huge improvement in cardio. It is only about 45 minutes a day. Your diet looks good. I only drink water, green tea, seltzer, and the occasional cup of coffee (no sugar). That has also helped tremendously. Hope this helped!

thank you very much! i do a random treadmill with big variances on incline and speed. maybe i will check out interval as soon as i'm acclimated to just plain exercising.

i don't, and won't, run. i hate it. i use the "random hill" feature on the treadmill. i sail nearly every weekend, bike occasionally. i work out with weights. i do understand the importance of varied workouts, and am trying to do that.....i just don't run. yuk.

Too bad... running is great exercise that gets up a good heartrate and burns a lot of calories. It also helps the legs look great. I am partial toward running, but then again, I am also a semi-professional distance runner... :)

no no... when you eat greasy foods and you drink cold drinks your solidifying the grease almost instantly into your body thus making it twice as hard to burn jelly belly.. saw in a documentary on discovery health, yeah you make yuor body work twice as hard burning energy... but its not the same as saying your working your muscles to burn fat your just burning more energy to stay warm.... huge difference

But if you don't eat greasy foods... in the climate I live in, it is hard NOT to go for the cold water, especially after a long running or biking workout... if I go out and run 15km at a 4:30/km pace, you betcha I am going to get some cold water along the way just to keep the core temperature down when it is 30 degrees outside at 8pm in the evening... hot and humid, gotta do it...

no no... when you eat greasy foods and you drink cold drinks your solidifying the grease almost instantly into your body thus making it twice as hard to burn jelly belly.. saw in a documentary on discovery health, yeah you make yuor body work twice as hard burning energy... but its not the same as saying your working your muscles to burn fat your just burning more energy to stay warm.... huge difference

bullcrap, your body would digest solid fat just the same as liquid fat, and anything else for that matter, break it down with acid, enzymes and peristalsis, and flush it on through.

Too bad... running is great exercise that gets up a good heartrate and burns a lot of calories. It also helps the legs look great. I am partial toward running, but then again, I am also a semi-professional distance runner... :)

I find running hard on the joints, which is why I prefer swimming.

bullcrap, your body would digest solid fat just the same as liquid fat, and anything else for that matter, break it down with acid, enzymes and peristalsis, and flush it on through.

I think I understand spud's meaning.

Unlike other nutrition like carbohydrates and amino acids, lipids enter the blood stream directly through the lymphatic system. Fats that are solid at room temperature tend to be more saturated, as opposed to unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. In terms of pot bellies, your body will convert it all to the same kind for storage, but I think the difference matters most in the cardiovasular system. Saturated fat tends to build on the artery walls far more readily.

liblady,

RAW eggs absorb quicker and easier into the human body, than scrambled, over easy or hard boiled eggs. Plus the protein components are more pure as opposed to boiling out the vitamins.

Low fat whey isolate is the fastest digesting protein; if anything you are incurring risks for inferior bioavailability.

Actually, it's the exact opposite. You drink ice cold water, forcing your body to work extra hard to keep your temp up. This expends energy, thus burning calories.

Your body burns more calories at higher tempatures. If you do not believe me, attempt a simple experiment. Take your tempature prior to running a mile, and directly following.

Your body burns more calories at higher tempatures. If you do not believe me, attempt a simple experiment. Take your tempature prior to running a mile, and directly following.

It burns more calories reaching that temperature than it does maintaining. That's simple thermodynamics...which yes, still appy within the human body.

Well, yes and no. You really shouldn't go to bed with a stomach full of carbs. A good general rule is to TRY not to eat 2 - 3 hours prior to going to bed, but if you are going to eat, try make it low carb. Other than that, I agree and it's really specific to the individual's metabolism.

I mean hell, I'm just starting my workout around 7pm, so I don't usually eat dinner until 8:30 - 9:00. But, I also don't go to bed until around 12:30. There's no way in hell I could not eat after 7. LOL But, I do try to make my dinner very light on carbs.

That's why I eat almonds and cottage cheese late at night, not many carbs there. I try to do the bulk of my carbs before and immediately following a workout. Of course being Italian, that doesn't always happen. :tongue3:

That's why I eat almonds and cottage cheese late at night, not many carbs there. I try to do the bulk of my carbs before and immediately following a workout. Of course being Italian, that doesn't always happen. :tongue3:

Speaking of carbs...I had my check-up at the doctor's office yesterday. I mentioned to the doctor that I had been getting a little tired in the afternoons between 2-5PM. We went over my diet together and she told me to stop eating so much fruit after my 10:30AM meal. I kinda thought that was a little weird.

Speaking of carbs...I had my check-up at the doctor's office yesterday. I mentioned to the doctor that I had been getting a little tired in the afternoons between 2-5PM. We went over my diet together and she told me to stop eating so much fruit after my 10:30AM meal. I kinda thought that was a little weird.

That's weird. Do you think she's thinking it's some sort of sugar crash?

I have no idea. But there ain't no way in hell I'm giving up my oranges and bananas every day.

Would that be 2 oranges with a banana sticking up from the center of the 2? I wouldn't give that up either.

In all seriousness, I wonder if you need some more carbs in the afternoon. :thinking:

I did treadmilling for a while and appeared to get nothing out of it. So now I am doing some exercise dvds and my muscles have been hurting for the last two weeks. I initially went up 5 lbs and now I am starting to drop almost a half lb a day. I am cautiously optimistic. Hopefully I will be able to put the treadmill on craig's list if this other thing works.

The exercise DVDs are working I guess. I just spent 3 days doing two network installations at other company sites in another state. I ate nothing but junk (didn't have time) and I lost 2 lbs since last Friday (I didn't do the exercises all week either, until last night when I got home).

The exercise DVDs are working I guess. I just spent 3 days doing two network installations at other company sites in another state. I ate nothing but junk (didn't have time) and I lost 2 lbs since last Friday (I didn't do the exercises all week either, until last night when I got home).

good for you......it's easier for guys to take it off i think.

good for you......it's easier for guys to take it off i think.

My wife is losing it twice as fast as I am actually, but I think it matters more for her.

Her self esteem is involved in her desire to lose weight. I just want to attempt to live longer and with fewer issues when I get to 40 or beyond.

Last edited:
My wife is losing it twice as fast as I am actually, but I think it matters more for her.

Her self esteem is involved in her desire to lose weight. I just want to attempt to live longer and with fewer issues when I get to 40 or beyond.

some signs of progress. my trainer was right..........!

Out of commission for the next week. Woke up from my workout so sore yesterday I could barely move; actually had to have my partner button my pants for me cuz I couldn't pull my arms around front far enough...yes it was that bad. Soreness went away in my left shoulder as the day progressed but my right one wouldn't give. Took advil around 3, went back to the gym and did my cycling but couldn't make it through the last 20 minutes of the hour because the pressure of holding the handle bar was too much on the shoulder. Woke up this morning and couldn't move the shoulder at all without it feeling like someone was stabbing me. Turns out I actually tore the insertion of my trap muscle and ripped my bicep. Two things that will heal up in time provided I don't do anything stupid.

Moral of the story...you don't run a mile, do an hour class of calasthenics with 35lbs in dumbell weight and then do your normal weight training while your muscles are that fatigued....

Oops and OUCH.

Out of commission for the next week. Woke up from my workout so sore yesterday I could barely move; actually had to have my partner button my pants for me cuz I couldn't pull my arms around front far enough...yes it was that bad. Soreness went away in my left shoulder as the day progressed but my right one wouldn't give. Took advil around 3, went back to the gym and did my cycling but couldn't make it through the last 20 minutes of the hour because the pressure of holding the handle bar was too much on the shoulder. Woke up this morning and couldn't move the shoulder at all without it feeling like someone was stabbing me. Turns out I actually tore the insertion of my trap muscle and ripped my bicep. Two things that will heal up in time provided I don't do anything stupid.

Moral of the story...you don't run a mile, do an hour class of calasthenics with 35lbs in dumbell weight and then do your normal weight training while your muscles are that fatigued....

Oops and OUCH.

It really depends on your level of conditioning... if you are in superior shape, you can still do that... otherwise, it is better to tone it down... and for the record, I would hesitate to do that much fatigued, but I am confident I could...

It really depends on your level of conditioning... if you are in superior shape, you can still do that... otherwise, it is better to tone it down... and for the record, I would hesitate to do that much fatigued, but I am confident I could...

It sounds easy enough until you've been jumping around with that weight for an hour. What I did was stupid whether you are conditioned well or not, and my body is conditioned VERY well. I typically spend between 10-12 hours a week at the gym between actual training and playing different sports.

It sounds easy enough until you've been jumping around with that weight for an hour. What I did was stupid whether you are conditioned well or not, and my body is conditioned VERY well. I typically spend between 10-12 hours a week at the gym between actual training and playing different sports.

When I refer to conditioning, I mean endurance conditioning. You are surely physically stronger than I am, but I focus on endurance...

When I refer to conditioning, I mean endurance conditioning. You are surely physically stronger than I am, but I focus on endurance...

What do you do for endurance? I think you mentioned you are a runner or something, right?

Back
Top Bottom