• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Democrats did to Illinois

It is an interesting read .. Chicago currently owes roughly $33Billion to it's pension funds, They have boxed themselves into being liable for pension payments, maintaining healthcare benefits and establishing a funding pool to be 90%+ funded by 2045. Chicago definitely needs to revisit pension and consider reform or it will continue to be unsustainable.

You would think a liberal strong hold would be a utopia, and we are seeing quite the opposite outcome.
The Illinois Constitution guarantees pensions , not the City of Chicago. They can’t change anything.

You really would do better if you knew what you were talking about,

It's funny that no democrat party supporters bother to chime in and tell us what a blissful utopia they've created in Chicago. A once vibrant and industrious city, before democrat party control. Now it's become exactly what the democrat party wanted for it.

Because it's not like they didn't have the time and money to make it what they wanted. So either they fleeced the money amd ran, or it's exactly what they wanted. Blissful and beautiful city of liberal progress
I live in Chicago.

It’s a great city, with typical urban problems like all big cities. But in respect to other large cities, I think Chicago is definitely a blissful and beautiful place and incredibly vibrant and industrious.

It’s got blue collar roots, but it’s also hot a very modern base with lots of companies based here with many larger corporations choosing to have their HQ in the city rather than the suburbs.

That’s right, the ‘hellish landscape with high librul taxes and extreme crime’ seems to be the place of choice for McDonalds, Boeing, United Airlines, Mondelez, and regional HQ for Google,Amazon, Schwab, etc.

But the shitkickers who haven’t left Hazzard County since 1998 know it’s a terrible place libruls have ruined.

I live in Chicago.

It’s a great city, with typical urban problems like all big cities. But in respect to other large cities, I think Chicago is definitely a blissful and beautiful place and incredibly vibrant and industrious.

It’s got blue collar roots, but it’s also hot a very modern base with lots of companies based here with many larger corporations choosing to have their HQ in the city rather than the suburbs.

That’s right, the ‘hellish landscape with high librul taxes and extreme crime’ seems to be the place of choice for McDonalds, Boeing, United Airlines, Mondelez, and regional HQ for Google,Amazon, Schwab, etc.

But the shitkickers who haven’t left Hazzard County since 1998 know it’s a terrible place libruls have ruined.

So your part of Chicago is just peachy.

Good for you.

Same can be said of Baltimore, Detroit, Newark, Los Angeles.

All blissful and beautiful places for upper class liberals.
Not so much for everyone else.

The Illinois Constitution guarantees pensions , not the City of Chicago. They can’t change anything.

You really would do better if you knew what you were talking about,
Chicago is the biggest tit that retirees are sucking on, and with this being a democrat stronghold .. why isn't a utopia?

So your part of Chicago is just peachy.

Good for you.

Same can be said of Baltimore, Detroit, Newark, Los Angeles.

All blissful and beautiful places for upper class liberals.
Not so much for everyone else.
No- lots of parts of chicago are just peachy.

And most of the middle class folks I know like it just fine.

Chicago is the biggest tit that retirees are sucking on, and with this being a democrat stronghold .. why isn't a utopia?
Well, compared to downstate cities, like Peoria, centers of Republican governance, there’s a reason why people are fleeing there and coming here.

Well .. when you say "leave," does that include the near record number of 800 + homicides?

Updated .. it's more than 1000+
You seem confused…I’m saying people are leaving downstate areas at a much faster pace than Chicagoland areas.

But I suspect facts and accurate information have little relevance to you.

You seem confused…I’m saying people are leaving downstate areas at a much faster pace than Chicagoland areas.

But I suspect facts and accurate information have little relevance to you.
Makes perfect sense .. lower cost of living elsewhere, warmer weather, loss of manufacturing jobs, inability to manage debt and just that Illinois is an extremely liberal state.

Who is Stuart Loren and why should I care about what he has to say?
he's a guy on the internet that the OP found whose opinion gave the OP the shivers.

I miss Chicago. It’s a great city to live in

Chicago's my favorite city ever. I still have my fond memories from the late 1990s when I used to live there- the outdoor concerts in Ravinia, sitting on the lawn with my picnic basket on a beautiful warm summer evening, gazing at the stars overhead, and lost in the majestic and breathtakingly beautiful sounds of the Chicago Symphony; a dinner on top of the John Hancock building at dusk, overlooking the breathtaking Chicago skyline and with Lake Michigan stretched out before you; strolling along the hustle and bustle of the Magnificent Mile, looking at all the stores and shops; visiting Navy Pier; etc...

Ah, fond memories indeed... a city you could really fall in love in.

Chicago's my favorite city ever. I still have my fond memories from the late 1990s when I used to live there- the outdoor concerts in Ravinia, sitting on the lawn with my picnic basket on a beautiful warm summer evening, gazing at the stars overhead, and lost in the majestic and breathtakingly beautiful sounds of the Chicago Symphony; a dinner on top of the John Hancock building at dusk, overlooking the breathtaking Chicago skyline and with Lake Michigan stretched out before you; strolling along the hustle and bustle of the Magnificent Mile, looking at all the stores and shops; visiting Navy Pier; etc...

Ah, fond memories indeed... a city you could really fall in love in.
It is. I live about a half block from the Mag Mile now, and I find some new cool thing in the area almost every single day.

Chicago is a shithole with a shithole mayor. How many hundreds have been murdered under her watch?
1,133 people dead from homicides since she took office. That's according to heyjackass.com.
She's still got a long way to go to hit 14,653 homicides, which was during Richard M. Daley's tenure.

It is. I live about a half block from the Mag Mile now, and I find some new cool thing in the area almost every single day.
So then you must be familiar with the fed-up business owners who have seen that area go to the shits in the last few months.

So then you must be familiar with the fed-up business owners who have seen that area go to the shits in the last few months.
Yes, and also familiar with the new violent crime stats which shows a significant drop in violent crime as compared with 2018-9.

They blame violent crime on poverty and -- of course -- systemic you-know-what.

So you think that if you were born into money with a father and mother in your life you'd be just as likely to commit crimes compared to being born in a poor household with a single parent who works two jobs?

Yeah, surprise, crime is a systemic issue with underlying causes and isn't just an indictment of the character of a group of individuals.

This isn't a disputable opinion, it's just ****ing facts.

The reality is conservatives/Republicans do believe social problems are systemic. They blamed the problems of poor rural whites on the system. They're just being dishonest when it comes to other groups...

People that complain about Chicago have never lived there and would never live there. Why should people in Chicago care what they think? I've lived there, and it's a great city to raise your family in. It really is very nice.

If anyone has any inclinations about moving to/living in Chicago/Chicagoland Area, please ignore the haters in this thread.

I live 40 minutes outside the city but I can say 95% of the city I feel perfectly safe. It's that 5-10% where the city needs to do work and lift up those communities.

I find it interesting how some here will scoff at the idea of crime being the fault of anyone/thing other than the individual, and then in the same breath blame a politician/party for the crime rate...

So you think that if you were born into money with a father and mother in your life you'd be just as likely to commit crimes compared to being born in a poor household with a single parent who works two jobs?
There is NO excuse for going around and killing clerks (after robbing them) or sucker punching perfectly innocent Asian and Jewish people on the street or on the subway.

Did those genuinely poor Americans during the Depression in the1930s behave in such a fashion?

There is NO excuse for going around and killing clerks (after robbing them) or sucker punching perfectly innocent Asian and Jewish people on the street or on the subway.

No one is making excuses for those crimes. Way to sidestep my question. :rolleyes:

Did those genuinely poor Americans during the Depression in the1930s behave in such a fashion?

Crime initially went up during the Great Depression. It went down when the government stepped in to help the citizens through the New Deal.

New Deal programs were likely a major factor in declining crime rates, as was the end of Prohibition and a slowdown of immigration and migration of people from rural America to northern cities, all of which reduced urban crime rates. Even when the U.S. economy stalled again in 1937-38, homicide rates kept falling, reaching 6.4 per 100,000 by the end of the decade.

Back
Top Bottom