• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Democrats did to Illinois

Travel a block or two from those parts and it's not so peachy.

85110d1316592734-there-unsafe-parts-evanston-evanston.jpg
That’s… not even Chicago.

LOL. Can you fail any more?

Jesus, you work for Lightfoot or something?

The city/state have been bleeding people like crazy. Anyone who can is getting out. The crime is awful, the public schools a joke, the infrastructure a disaster meanwhile the state/local government just wants more and more in taxes.
The city’s population grew 2% from 2010-2020.

You should talk to Roadvirus- you both seem to love to make up facts

States with older / larger municipalities have always been bleeding people like crazy. You're repeating the same shit from 25, 50, ... , 100 years ago. If what you say is true, the price of real estate wouldn't have quadrupled in the past 25 years. That's why people move... so they can live in a bigger space....

And enjoy 79° late Decembers.

Odd. NYC, Boston, and Seattle all have growing populations over the last ~80 years and none of them have what I would consider favorable weather.

Maybe it is just when you have shitty management of cities you end up with crappy results? Look at Philadelphia, Baltimore, Detroit etc.

The city’s population grew 2% from 2010-2020.

You should talk to Roadvirus- you both seem to love to make up facts

I didn't see 2020. However, this is hardly a great trend line. Especially when in the 50's it was north of 3.6MM. Moreover, the nation has twice as many people in it now.

Year Population Rank in US
2019 2,693,976 3
2018 2,705,994 3
2017 2,716,450 3
2016 2,704,958 3
2015 2,720,546 3
2014 2,722,389 3
2013 2,718,782 3
2012 2,714,856 3
2011 2,705,248 3
2010 2,695,598 3

I didn't see 2020. However, this is hardly a great trend line. Especially when in the 50's it was north of 3.6MM. Moreover, the nation has twice as many people in it now.

Year Population Rank in US
2019 2,693,976 3
2018 2,705,994 3
2017 2,716,450 3
2016 2,704,958 3
2015 2,720,546 3
2014 2,722,389 3
2013 2,718,782 3
2012 2,714,856 3
2011 2,705,248 3
2010 2,695,598 3
So now you decide to look it up?

And then pretend you really meant something else than what you said?

You were more credible when you just made shit up.

So now you decide to look it up?

And then pretend you really meant something else than what you said?

You were more credible when you just made shit up.

Why don't you read what I said. The city has been bleeding for decades. You took a snippet of a decade where it was *stagnant* and called that a victory? Ignoring the decades of people fleeing? Ignoring the population growth of the nation and the proportionality?

Got it. Sounds pretty dopey.

Why don't you read what I said. The city has been bleeding for decades. You took a snippet of a decade where it was *stagnant* and called that a victory? Ignoring the decades of people fleeing? Ignoring the population growth of the nation and the proportionality?

Got it. Sounds pretty dopey.
The chicago population in 1990 is…less than it is now.

Generally, ‘bleeding’ doesn’t lead to an increase in blood volume.

Odd. NYC, Boston, and Seattle all have growing populations over the last ~80 years
You're just cherry-picking. The point being, people tend to flock to cheaper and warmer areas. This has always been the case.

The chicago population in 1990 is…less than it is now.

Generally, ‘bleeding’ doesn’t lead to an increase in blood volume.
He prefers to cherry pick his own narrative.

Very readable and interesting twitter thread regarding the intractable economic problems of Illinois.

You ever travel to Chicago? It's quite possibly the greatest city on earth and it is at a minimum in the top 10 greatest cities on earth.

You ever travel to Chicago? It's quite possibly the greatest city on earth and it is at a minimum in the top 10 greatest cities on earth.

Most "conservatives" don't know anything about these cities/states they're told to hate other than the fact that the people that reside there have the audacity to vote Democrat. So for that alone makes cities like Chicago objects of their deep hatred.

Most "conservatives" don't know anything about these cities/states they're told to hate other than the fact that the people that reside there have the audacity to vote Democrat. So for that alone makes cities like Chicago objects of their deep hatred.
What is so stupid about the argument of "what Democrats did to..." is that practically every major city is ran by Democrats. Democratic cities and zip codes account for the vast majority of the country's GDP. Trump's America is third world America. The average Biden voting zip code had over 10 times the GDP of the average Trump voting zip code.

What is so stupid about the argument of "what Democrats did to..." is that practically every major city is ran by Democrats. Democratic cities and zip codes account for the vast majority of the country's GDP. Trump's America is third world America. The average Biden voting zip code had over 10 times the GDP of the average Trump voting zip code.

which is why all this talk of "succession" by "conservatives" when they lose elections is horse manure. Those idiots wouldn't survive on their own, and they fully know it.

which is why all this talk of "succession" by "conservatives" when they lose elections is horse manure. Those idiots wouldn't survive on their own, and they fully know it.

Let's just take Kansas City. The metro is split between Kansas and Missouri. Were it not for taxpayers in Johnson County Kansas (suburban KC), they would not be able to even pave a road in Western Kansas. The same is true in most states. Even in Texas, the blue cities foot the bill.

Let's just take Kansas City. The metro is split between Kansas and Missouri. Were it not for taxpayers in Johnson County Kansas (suburban KC), they would not be able to even pave a road in Western Kansas. The same is true in most states. Even in Texas, the blue cities foot the bill.

ask one of them to name a successful "conservative" (by their definition) run government anywhere in the entire world...and they'll suddenly disappear from the conversation like a fart in the wind.

You're just cherry-picking. The point being, people tend to flock to cheaper and warmer areas. This has always been the case.

Again, Seattle is hardly a warmer or cheaper area. People are leaving places with dying economies and corrupted bureaucracies.

I have, many times, and it is comical to call it a top 10 city in the world. Have you ever left the US?

Again, Seattle is hardly a warmer or cheaper area. People are leaving places with dying economies and corrupted bureaucracies.

I have, many times, and it is comical to call it a top 10 city in the world. Have you ever left the US?
Seattle isn’t warmer than Chicago? LOL. You DO make shït up.

Seattle isn’t warmer than Chicago? LOL. You DO make shït up.

You think Seattle is a weather destination? That's comical.

Boston has every bit as bad weather as Chicago, yet different results. Wonder why.

Yes, I love to travel. Hell, I live to travel. If you don't think Chicago is an absolute world class city, then you obviously don't travel outside of the occasional all inclusive.

Chicago may well have the most beautiful skyline on earth. Its lake front is one of the most beautiful settings of any world class city. It has a world class food scene. It has museums and cultural amenities that rival any city on earth.

Boston has every bit as bad weather as Chicago, yet different results. Wonder why.
Boston does not have the kind of bitter cold that Chicago can get. There is just no comparison. You basically have to look at Minneapolis to find a major city in America with harsher winters than Chicago. Virtually any Midwestern city will get more extreme cold in a given year than Boston will as it's coastal location and the gulf stream moderate its winters. Lot's of cold there in the winter, lots of snow, but not the kind of bitter cold you get in more continental locations.

Cherry pick to your heart's content. It doesn't matter. You're just being a complete hack. 🥱

You went from cherry pick to strawman. Nobody is claiming Seattle is a weather destination. Chicago winters are among the worst in the nation.
Desperate nonsense. Chicago is a difficult place to live if you're poor or lower middleclass. Winters combined with higher cost of living make it a tough place to establish longer term living.

Yes, I love to travel. Hell, I live to travel. If you don't think Chicago is an absolute world class city, then you obviously don't travel outside of the occasional all inclusive.
It's just partisan attempts to rebrand.
Chicago may well have the most beautiful skyline on earth. Its lake front is one of the most beautiful settings of any world class city. It has a world class food scene. It has museums and cultural amenities that rival any city on earth.
Absolutely. At this moment, Chicago is in a golden age for hospitality. What's happened in the West Loop these past 5 years is nothing short of insane. South side neighborhoods are on the rise as well. Bridgeport (Sox stadium) and Pilsen (south of UIC east of Western) are primed to explode in the next few years.

[/quote]

Depends on your definition of "world class" I suppose. However your previous statement was "Top 10" which is outright comical.

You went from cherry pick to strawman. Nobody is claiming Seattle is a weather destination. Chicago winters are among the worst in the nation.

Desperate nonsense. Chicago is a difficult place to live if you're poor or lower middleclass. Winters combined with higher cost of living make it a tough place to establish longer term living.

Oh, look at that wisdom. A city is difficult for poor people? No shit, any other gems rattling around in there? You think Chicago is worse for poors than Boston? Uh, ok. Might want to check the cost of living comparisons. A lot more people made it work in Chicago in the past than they do now. That alone tells you something.

Back
Top Bottom