• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:296] Trump lies to US troops about pay increases during visit to Iraq military base

Re: Shameless: Trump lies to troops about pay raises

Says the person who thinks "I know you are, but what am I" is the pinnacle of snappy retorts. But, on the good side you supported my comment.

Nice try.

Unless you're a high ranking executive, isn't that the case for pretty much everyone nowadays? We all (middle and lower class) are not making enough to keep up with inflation.
According to BLS we are, on average. Wages grew 3.1% inflation was in low 2's. And with growing job market prospects for wage increases are strong.

But, let's get real. If you have low skills don't count on massive raises. If you're trainable and enthusiastic I think things will go well for you. The more you know the better off you'll be.

I do not think he "confuses the facts" , I think he does not care about them. Facts that may be minutia to him ...is the difference between safety and homelessness for another
What may be minutia to him may mean the difference between health and preventable illness for another.

You are right, he does not give a damn about facts. He enjoys chaos, and craves attention. He would not recognize the truth if it bit him.

Trump is out of control. He needs to the reigned in.

I hate to say it but if our troops, their families and those who believe POTUS lies, are looking for a 10% raise in their next check, then they're being played as suckers

So while Trump is President in 2018-19 the largest pay rise in almost ten yeras occurs, and you call him a liar? WTF?

He says they have not gotten a big pay raise... and he gives them one. That is accurate.
He says a big pay raise has not happened in 10 years when it is really 9 year.... a little mistake.
He says "I got you one" and he did get them a big pay increase. That is accurate.

Whole thing seems accurate. Yet you call him a liar. Why? Where does this blind hatred come from that leads you to post lies about a person that is telling the truth? Are you so angry that you can't remain objective? I feel really sorry for you.

You are changing what he said. Let's quote:

you just got one of the biggest pay raises you’ve ever received ... You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years — more than 10 years. And we got you a big one. I got you a big one. I got you a big one.

Biggest they ever received is maybe true. They have gotten not just one in the last 10 years, but 10. That is what we call a lie from Trump. And Trump did not get it for them. He simply signed what congress sent him.

They had plenty of people that came up. They said, ‘You know, we could make it smaller. We could make it 3 percent. We could make it 2 percent. We could make it 4 percent.’ I said, ‘No. Make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent.’ Because it’s been a long time. It’s been more than 10 years. It’s been more than 10 years.

It was not a 10 % raise. "They" did not try and make it smaller, not did Trump try and make it bigger. Trump requested the standard raise. This is documented in his very own budget request.

He didn't say that they did not have a raise...

Donald Trump said:
You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years — more than 10 years

Do you think making **** up is a good debate strategy?

No, I doubt ten percent will ever happen. He sad congratulations because they are getting the highest raise in nine years. And, yes I think he knows the budget process.

Then the 10 percent was just an evil self serving taunt to the troops.

My advice, and this isn't original, is to "take Trump seriously, but not literally." The more times I read this comment the more I think he's saying he TRIED to get a ten-percent raise, not that he gave them one; he's not the one that writing the budget and decide on the raises - that's Congress.

He did not try for a 10 % raise, he tried for a 2.1 % raise. This is documented fact.

Sure sounds like it.

My advice, and this isn't original, is to "take Trump seriously, but not literally." The more times I read this comment the more I think he's saying he TRIED to get a ten-percent raise, not that he gave them one; he's not the one that writing the budget and decide on the raises - that's Congress.

As I've mentioned, been there done that. I'm not even sure what straw it was that broke the camels back for me within the past months. It's been exhausting to keep ignoring common sense just to stay true to my candidate. It's been like trying to block a leak in a screen door.

The basic pay raises since 2007:

1 January 2007: 2.2%
1 April 2007: 0.5%
1 January 2008: 3.5%
1 January 2009: 3.9%
1 January 2010: 3.4%
1 January 2011: 1.4%
1 January 2012: 1.6%
1 January 2013: 1.7%
1 January 2014: 1.0%
1 January 2015: 1.0%
1 January 2016: 1.3%
1 January 2017: 2.1%
1 January 2018: 2.4%

Link: https://militarypay.defense.gov/Pay/Basic-Pay/AnnualPayRaise/

Obama's first acts of office were across the board pay raises for military:

(As noted by JqYaqui)

January 2008: 3.5%
January 2009: 3.9%
January 2010: 3.4%

AND a LARGE increase to the VA budget, one of the few measures that the Democratic "supermajority" which was only for 72 days, managed to push through. I'll look up how much the VA increase was, but it was one of the largest they've ever had.

So why did he say "congratulations"? Do you think he knows how the budget works? BTW, do you think 10 percent could ever happen?

Yes, the congratulations on the end is what made me think he was suggesting he got them the 10%.

Sure, whatever your derangement make you say.

The troops who heard him say they're getting a 10% raise shouldn't take their C-I-C literally? Was the withdrawal order of troops from Syria not a serious announcement. Just when are they supposed to take his words both seriously and literally?

He did not try for a 10 % raise, he tried for a 2.1 % raise. This is documented fact.
That was the end result, not the initial negotiation.

That was the end result, not the initial negotiation.

There was no negotiation. Congress simply ignored his request.

LOL, he doesn't say "I got you 10%" does he? You do know he doesn't pass the budget, right, that's Congresses job.

Speaking to troops at Al Asad Air Base during his surprise visit to Iraq, Trump told troops: “You protect us. We are always going to protect you. And you just saw that, ’cause you just got one of the biggest pay raises you’ve ever received. … You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years. More than 10 years. And we got you a big one.I got you a big one. I got you a big one.

https://fox2now.com/2018/12/27/trump-misleads-about-military-pay-raises-during-visit-to-iraq/

They had plenty of people that came up, they said, ‘You know, we could make it smaller. We could make it 3%, we could make it 2%, we could make it 4%,'” Trump told the troops about the latest pay raise. “I said, ‘No. Make it 10%. Make it more than 10%.'”

You need to able to read!

Do you think making **** up is a good debate strategy?

Any way it's turned, it doesn't go in his favor. No raises for 10 years? Completely false. No big raises in more than ten years? That would include 2008 3.5, 2009 3.9 and 2010 3.4. Those are the biggest raises in the past 10 years. The last time a raise was 2.4 was 1996. Everything past that was higher until 2011.

You support trump taunting the US Military with Lies?
Moot question since there' no taunting excepted in the deranged minds of the loony left.

Yep, my point exactly. They saw a tiny amount more in their checks and faced higher prices on the outside.

And this remains true.

Speaking to troops at Al Asad Air Base during his surprise visit to Iraq, Trump told troops: “You protect us. We are always going to protect you. And you just saw that, ’cause you just got one of the biggest pay raises you’ve ever received. … You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years. More than 10 years. And we got you a big one.I got you a big one. I got you a big one.

https://fox2now.com/2018/12/27/trump-misleads-about-military-pay-raises-during-visit-to-iraq/

They had plenty of people that came up, they said, ‘You know, we could make it smaller. We could make it 3%, we could make it 2%, we could make it 4%,'” Trump told the troops about the latest pay raise. “I said, ‘No. Make it 10%. Make it more than 10%.'”

You need to able to read!
As do you.

You are changing what he said. Let's quote:

Biggest they ever received is maybe true. They have gotten not just one in the last 10 years, but 10. That is what we call a lie from Trump. And Trump did not get it for them. He simply signed what congress sent him.

It was not a 10 % raise. "They" did not try and make it smaller, not did Trump try and make it bigger. Trump requested the standard raise. This is documented in his very own budget request.

You are taking it out of context. If you look at their raises this was one of the biggest that they have had in ten years. That is true. It is not the biggest and it has not be literally ten years but nitpicking over a statement like that, that is not meant literal, is really pretty feeble. There are real issues out there and harping on every little thing he says trying to find a lie or racism is just lame.

Back
Top Bottom