• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:296] Trump lies to US troops about pay increases during visit to Iraq military base

Re: Shameless: Trump lies to troops about pay raises

Now, if I understood your link correctly.......

What happened in 2009, and 2010? Why were the raise percentages so high back then? To which great president should we applaud for those kind of military pay raises? C'mon. You can say it. "Praise be to Obama!" Right?!?!? (I bet you ckoked on that one. LOL!) Obama pay raises beat the hell out of Trump's according to your link. I don't hear you singing Obama praises. To which majority party in the House of Representatives do we owe our gratitude to? Oh my! It was those evil democrats giving our soldier's those pay increases!

Incidentially, what is the significance of "nine years?" Why not 10? 11? 12? 20?

And, looking at the link you provided regarding military pay (thank you, by the way,) why, oh why, the drop off in military pay increases in 2011? Ker-plunk! Could it possibly be that Obama lost his house? Could it possibly be that the GOP took the majority?

Say it isn't so!

It would be interesting to know the historical rates of military pay increases in co-relation to which majority occupied the house and senate during the up years vs. the down years. I think we might all be surprised.
Who even mentioned Obama? Check the title of the thread - does it mention Obama? My point was that the military hadn't received any significant raises for a long time/

I don't think that's the point.
No, I t probably isn't. It's just another to opportunity for Trumpophobes to dance in a circle and chant "Trump lied, Trump lied".

No, I t probably isn't. It's just another to opportunity for Trumpophobes to dance in a circle and chant "Trump lied, Trump lied".
I am curious, what, in your opinion, should they do when he lies, over and over and over and over...?

Who even mentioned Obama? Check the title of the thread - does it mention Obama? My point was that the military hadn't received any significant raises for a long time/

Not since Obama, when he had both houses.

Worry not. They will get a nice raise in 2020 when the dems have the house and the oval office again.

Here's the actual history of military pay raises Several years with "raises" barely keeping up with inflation, if that. So, does a "raise" mean an increase in wage to keep up with inflation or getting more pay in inflation adjusted terms. Many folks on the left, or at least those on the LOONY LEFT, whine that wages have stagnated even though BLS tells us average wage has consistently grown by 2-3%.
Trump may have confused his facts but calling him a liar is just a tad of exaggeration.

Do you call someone who constantly confuses his facts a liar or an idiot?

Usually, I call them "liberal".

Trump said they were getting a 10 percent raise....are they?

https://www.inquisitr.com/5224717/t...gave-them-a-ten-percent-pay-raise-he-did-not/

Is the source incorrect?

“They said: ‘You know, we could make it smaller. We could make it 3 percent. We could make it 2 percent. We could make it 4 percent.’ I said: ‘No. Make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent. Because it’s been a long time. It’s been more than 10 years. That’s a long time. And, you know, you really put yourselves out there, and you put your lives out there. So congratulations.”

Interesting side by side comparison....of determined Cost of Living Adjustments for Social Security vs. Wage Increases for Military:

Year COLA for Social Security

2009 0.0
2010 0.0
2011 3.6
2012 1.7
2013 1.5
2014 1.7
2015 0.0
2016 0.3
2017 2.0
2018 2.8

Total 14.6%

Wage Increases Military:

1 January 2009: 3.9%
1 January 2010: 3.4%
1 January 2011: 1.4%
1 January 2012: 1.6%
1 January 2013: 1.7%
1 January 2014: 1.0%
1 January 2015: 1.0%
1 January 2016: 1.3%
1 January 2017: 2.1%
1 January 2018: 2.4%

Total: 19.5%

Actually the military have gotten raises beyond the cost of living adjustments. I certainly am in favor of giving the military raises, but the argument that they have been stagnant for 10 years in clearly mistaken.

Usually, I call them "liberal".

I doubt Trump considers himself a liberal....so you are joining him in confusing facts? Best to scroll on by sometimes ;)

[FONT="]This guy is a true pathological liar. He just can’t help himself.

[URL="http://https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-military-pay-raise-increase-iraq-troops-visit-al-asad-air-base-a8701101.html%3Famp"]Trump lied to troops about pay increase during Iraq visit[/URL]

President Donald Trump has falsely claimed to troops that he gave them their first pay rise in more than 10 years – and greatly exaggerated the size of the increase.

Mr Trump made the statement to troops in Iraq on Wednesday after arriving late on Christmas Day.

“You protect us, we are always going to protect you,” Mr Trump said during his visit to Al Asad airbase. “And you just saw that, ’cause you just got one of the biggest pay raises you’ve ever received. You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years. More than 10 years. And we got you a big one. I got you a big one. I got you a big one.”

Military pay has increased each year for more than three decades, with a 2.4 per cent increase in 2018. The 2019 National Defence Authorisation Act brought a 2.6 per cent increase. That most recent raise is the largest in the last nine years.[/FONT]

So while Trump is President in 2018-19 the largest pay rise in almost ten yeras occurs, and you call him a liar? WTF?

He says they have not gotten a big pay raise... and he gives them one. That is accurate.
He says a big pay raise has not happened in 10 years when it is really 9 year.... a little mistake.
He says "I got you one" and he did get them a big pay increase. That is accurate.

Whole thing seems accurate. Yet you call him a liar. Why? Where does this blind hatred come from that leads you to post lies about a person that is telling the truth? Are you so angry that you can't remain objective? I feel really sorry for you.

I doubt Trump considers himself a liberal....so you are joining him in confusing facts? Best to scroll on by sometimes ;)
Says the person who thinks "I know you are, but what am I" is the pinnacle of snappy retorts. But, on the good side you supported my comment.

I'm not a trumpophobe, and a year ago I'd probably be trying to ignore this incident and do what you're doing. And while I will still be credit where credit is due? I'm no longer turning a blind eye to the president lying on things like this. This thread wouldn't exist if trump himself had not made the comments about the military raises. A simple----it's been several years of low raises, but for the last two years we've gone beyond those numbers.

Don't stand up there in front of these people and grandstand while acting like they are too stupid to not know 2.6% isn't 10%. And yes it's obvious that's not going to get glossed over by the media. Yet he keeps doing it.

And I'm still wanting to know why 9 years was picked. Other than the obvious.

Confused his facts? He flat-out lied, to people who knew for a fact that he was lying.
There's something seriously wrong with that man. Seriously wrong. Do you know any other adult who'd do that? Tell those military that they hadn't had a raise in ten years before he got them one? That's seriously f***ed-up.

He didn't say that they did not have a raise...

Trump did not give it to them, congress did. Trump proposed a significantly smaller raise.

The President gets the credit for the Bad... and the good.

Trump said they were getting a 10 percent raise....are they?

https://www.inquisitr.com/5224717/t...gave-them-a-ten-percent-pay-raise-he-did-not/

Is the source incorrect?

“They said: ‘You know, we could make it smaller. We could make it 3 percent. We could make it 2 percent. We could make it 4 percent.’ I said: ‘No. Make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent. Because it’s been a long time. It’s been more than 10 years. That’s a long time. And, you know, you really put yourselves out there, and you put your lives out there. So congratulations.”
LOL, he doesn't say "I got you 10%" does he? You do know he doesn't pass the budget, right, that's Congresses job.

I am curious, what, in your opinion, should they do when he lies, over and over and over and over...?

Thank him for the raise and be pissed off at Obama for neglecting them...

I do not think he "confuses the facts" , I think he does not care about them. Facts that may be minutia to him ...is the difference between safety and homelessness for another
What may be minutia to him may mean the difference between health and preventable illness for another.

Which is why I think Trump actually believed what he was saying. I think he is functionally delusional.

You watch... when the Dems come in Jan, he will blame them.

I'm not a trumpophobe, and a year ago I'd probably be trying to ignore this incident and do what you're doing. And while I will still be credit where credit is due? I'm no longer turning a blind eye to the president lying on things like this. This thread wouldn't exist if trump himself had not made the comments about the military raises. A simple----it's been several years of low raises, but for the last two years we've gone beyond those numbers.

Don't stand up there in front of these people and grandstand while acting like they are too stupid to not know 2.6% isn't 10%. And yes it's obvious that's not going to get glossed over by the media. Yet he keeps doing it.

And I'm still wanting to know why 9 years was picked. Other than the obvious.
My advice, and this isn't original, is to "take Trump seriously, but not literally." The more times I read this comment the more I think he's saying he TRIED to get a ten-percent raise, not that he gave them one; he's not the one that writing the budget and decide on the raises - that's Congress.

Take a look at the link I provided about the amount of those "raises"; several amounted to less the $30 a month for an E-5 - barely keeping up with inflation, if THAT. If you get your rocks off nitpicking every word Trump says, more power to you.

Unless you're a high ranking executive, isn't that the case for pretty much everyone nowadays? We all (middle and lower class) are not making enough to keep up with inflation.

You watch... when the Dems come in Jan, he will blame them.
Why shouldn't he? They've made no secret of their intentions to attack him on every front and to fight every change he's made. The only saving grace is GOP's majority in the Senate and Trump's veto pen.

LOL, he doesn't say "I got you 10%" does he? You do know he doesn't pass the budget, right, that's Congresses job.

So why did he say "congratulations"? Do you think he knows how the budget works? BTW, do you think 10 percent could ever happen?

The President gets the credit for the Bad... and the good.

I dunno. He gets credit for signing it, but when you propose less and get overruled by congress, then I don't think you can take credit for the size of the raise. The military got a large raise in spite of Trump, not because of Trump.

So why did he say "congratulations"? Do you think he knows how the budget works? BTW, do you think 10 percent could ever happen?
No, I doubt ten percent will ever happen. He sad congratulations because they are getting the highest raise in nine years. And, yes I think he knows the budget process.

Why shouldn't he? They've made no secret of their intentions to attack him on every front and to fight every change he's made. The only saving grace is GOP's majority in the Senate and Trump's veto pen.

Trump is out of control. He needs to the reigned in.

Back
Top Bottom