• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US to sign historic deal with Taliban, Trump announces, beginning end of US war in Afghanistan and w

Except no, they weren’t. The founding fathers didn’t round up and slaughter British or Tory civilians en masse.

The heck they did not. The American tories and patriots hunted each other down ruthlessly.

The western powers, particularly the UK and Russia and the US, simply refuse to understand that you can kill Afghanis but you can't subdue the for any amount of time without them coming right back at you. They are murderous, deceitful, and absolutely committed to freedom.

The Afghan Campaign: A novel, by Steven Pressfield and Caravans, a novel by James A. Michener and The Far Pavilions, a novel by M. M. Kaye, are the best western fiction for introducing the western mind and intellect to the complex and confusing world of Afghanistan. Even today, only 19% of the population is literate.

So, haven't really followed this.

Is this an historic quiet withdrawal, or one of those historic rooftop helicopter evacuation things?

It's a way for us to get the **** out and try to wash our hands of the whole thing.

The GIRoA will probably last for a few more years, maybe 3 if they're lucky.

Except no, they weren’t. The founding fathers didn’t round up and slaughter British or Tory civilians en masse.

I think you are missing the point I was making; one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

And yes, the British crown at the time did consider the founding fathers guilty of treason and other assorted crimes.

Context and perception are everything.

The heck they did not. The American tories and patriots hunted each other down ruthlessly.

The western powers, particularly the UK and Russia and the US, simply refuse to understand that you can kill Afghanis but you can't subdue the for any amount of time without them coming right back at you. They are murderous, deceitful, and absolutely committed to freedom.

The Afghan Campaign: A novel, by Steven Pressfield and Caravans, a novel by James A. Michener and The Far Pavilions, a novel by M. M. Kaye, are the best western fiction for introducing the western mind and intellect to the complex and confusing world of Afghanistan. Even today, only 19% of the population is literate.

“Freedom”

Trying to pretend the Taliban are fighting for “freedom” is particularly ludicrous.....and no, Patriots and Tories did not randomly round up each other’s civilians and slaughter them en masse.

People on the left simply refuse to understand that just because a group of insurgents is fighting the West, it doesn’t make their actions justified.

jamesbyoung

“Freedom” Trying to pretend the Taliban are fighting for “freedom” is particularly ludicrous.....and no, Patriots and Tories did not randomly round up each other’s civilians and slaughter them en masse. People on the left simply refuse to understand that just because a group of insurgents is fighting the West, it doesn’t make their actions justified.

Anybody who believes as you is not getting the Afghani mind. Their 'freedom' is not your western brand of freedom, and they don't mind killing you if you get in the way. Your nattering of 'left' vs 'right' is meaningless to the east of Iran and west of the Indus. You simply have no clue about them or their ways.

The only real way for this to work out is for Afghanistan to have a powerful enough military that they can fight the Taliban themselves. Since the Taliban seem to be willing to sign this deal, I'm not hopeful at all because all I see is the US decreasing our presence to the delight of the Taliban who will, at the appropriate time, start trying to overthrow the Afghan government. The only thing the Taliban get out of this deal is a decreased US presence, which is exactly what they want. To live peaceable with the Afghans? Not a snowball's chance.
It won't work and we will see US helicopters fleeing the roof of the US embassy again.

The reason that the Taliban are powerful is that they are United. The reason the rest of Afghanistan is weak, is they are not united and squabble among themselves. Massoud could unite the opposition, which is why the Taliban assassinated him. There is no new Massoud, so hence in 14 months the Taliban will start taking back the country.

Sent from my Honor 8X

Why are we making deals with terrorists?

Maybe because they contacted us?!?

"... The United States and the Taliban have endured decades of hostility and mistrust. Previous talks have faltered. This effort only became real for the United States when the Taliban signaled interest in pursuing peace and ending their relationship with al-Qaida and other foreign terrorist groups. They also recognized that military victory was impossible. I then asked Ambassador Khalilzad to serve as our lead negotiator to gauge the Taliban’s sincerity. ..."

Secretary Michael R. Pompeo At Afghanistan Signing Ceremony - United States Department of State

This is a very tricky issue. We haven't stayed in Afghanistan and Pakistan because of their craft IPA. We've been stuck there because if Pakistan becomes a failed state then the Taliban is the proud new owner of a whole bunch of nuclear weapons.

I don't think we should be there forever, but I sincerely doubt that Trump has made the decision to leave with our long term security needs addressed.

Raise your hand if you think Trump made sure those considerations were met.

It won't work and we will see US helicopters fleeing the roof of the US embassy again.

The reason that the Taliban are powerful is that they are United. The reason the rest of Afghanistan is weak, is they are not united and squabble among themselves. Massoud could unite the opposition, which is why the Taliban assassinated him. There is no new Massoud, so hence in 14 months the Taliban will start taking back the country.

Sent from my Honor 8X

That's certainly a possibility.

Maybe because they contacted us?!?

"... The United States and the Taliban have endured decades of hostility and mistrust. Previous talks have faltered. This effort only became real for the United States when the Taliban signaled interest in pursuing peace and ending their relationship with al-Qaida and other foreign terrorist groups. They also recognized that military victory was impossible. I then asked Ambassador Khalilzad to serve as our lead negotiator to gauge the Taliban’s sincerity. ..."

Secretary Michael R. Pompeo At Afghanistan Signing Ceremony - United States Department of State

We should not be making deals with terrorists

We should not be making deals with terrorists

Then how do you end terrorism when the terrorists offer to end terrorism?!? There is always a give and take ... see IRA

"After the end of the Irish Civil War (1922–23), the IRA was around in one form or another for forty years, when it split into the Official IRA and the Provisional IRA in 1969. ... It is now inactive in the military sense, while its political wing, Official Sinn Féin, became the Workers' Party of Ireland."

The Taliban, too, is interested in a seat at the political table in Afghanistan.

Then how do you end terrorism when the terrorists offer to end terrorism?!? There is always a give and take ... see IRA

"After the end of the Irish Civil War (1922–23), the IRA was around in one form or another for forty years, when it split into the Official IRA and the Provisional IRA in 1969. ... It is now inactive in the military sense, while its political wing, Official Sinn Féin, became the Workers' Party of Ireland."

The Taliban, too, is interested in a seat at the political table in Afghanistan.

You don't negotiate with terrorists. Should we negotiate with MS13?

So Republican administrations argued the US into going to war with the Taliban, criticized Democrats for wanting to leave, then Obama surging, all so they could have a peace agreement with the taliban in 2020.

Pat Tillman is rolling in his grave right now at all this gaslighting.

Я Баба Яга [emoji328]

You don't negotiate with terrorists. Should we negotiate with MS13?

Did MS13 approach us and offer to end their "terrorism"?

I see you've got nothing to say about the end of the Irish Republican Army terrorist group ... (smile).

.....no. The Taliban is interested in ruling Afghanistan. They are not interested in being folded into GIRoA as it currently stands.

.....no. The Taliban is interested in ruling Afghanistan. They are not interested in being folded into GIRoA as it currently stands.

Okay, man. Good to know you got the inside scoop.

I haven't read the deal, so I don't know what I think yet. But I will say the idea of getting out of Afghanistan doesn't bother me, but it does bother me that we might be leaving a power vacuum that could harm us or others in the region. So, like I said, I don't know how I feel.

“Freedom”

Trying to pretend the Taliban are fighting for “freedom” is particularly ludicrous.....and no, Patriots and Tories did not randomly round up each other’s civilians and slaughter them en masse.

People on the left simply refuse to understand that just because a group of insurgents is fighting the West, it doesn’t make their actions justified.

The Taliban are fighting for freedom; just their version of freedom, where good and honest Pashtun can live in their homes, not having to pay funds to the thieves on Kabul, not have to listen to Tajiks or any other foreigners, and do whatever the **** they want.

Did MS13 approach us and offer to end their "terrorism"?

I see you've got nothing to say about the end of the Irish Republican Army terrorist group ... (smile).

They approached El Salvador to promise an end to their hostility and guess what it backfired....you do not negotiate with terrorists

The Taliban are fighting for freedom; just their version of freedom, where good and honest Pashtun can live in their homes, not having to pay funds to the thieves on Kabul, not have to listen to Tajiks or any other foreigners, and do whatever the **** they want.

You don't remember when the Taliban were in control of Afghanistan do you?

You don't remember when the Taliban were in control of Afghanistan do you?

I do actually. I just understand why the Taliban have kept fighting for this many years.

Because that is how they view themselves, fighting for Pashtun values against foreign invaders.

I do actually. I just understand why the Taliban have kept fighting for this many years.

Because that is how they view themselves, fighting for Pashtun values against foreign invaders.

The Taliban should NEVER have power anywhere again

Back
Top Bottom