• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US to sign historic deal with Taliban, Trump announces, beginning end of US war in Afghanistan and w

Bum

I survived. Suck it, Schrodinger.
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
After a week-long deal to reduce violence across Afghanistan, the U.S. and the Taliban are set to sign a historic agreement Saturday that would see U.S. troops start to withdraw, according to a statement issued Friday afternoon by President Donald Trump.
"Soon, at my direction, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will witness the signing of an agreement with representatives of the Taliban, while Secretary of Defense Mark Esper will issue a joint declaration with the government of Afghanistan. If the Taliban and the government of Afghanistan live up to these commitments, we will have a powerful path forward to end the war in Afghanistan and bring our troops home," Trump said.

US to sign historic deal with Taliban, Trump announces, beginning end of US war in Afghanistan and withdrawal of American troops

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

After a week-long deal to reduce violence across Afghanistan, the U.S. and the Taliban are set to sign a historic agreement Saturday that would see U.S. troops start to withdraw, according to a statement issued Friday afternoon by President Donald Trump.
"Soon, at my direction, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will witness the signing of an agreement with representatives of the Taliban, while Secretary of Defense Mark Esper will issue a joint declaration with the government of Afghanistan. If the Taliban and the government of Afghanistan live up to these commitments, we will have a powerful path forward to end the war in Afghanistan and bring our troops home," Trump said.

US to sign historic deal with Taliban, Trump announces, beginning end of US war in Afghanistan and withdrawal of American troops

The same people who will cheer Trump on for this would have torn Obama apart for even suggesting such a thing. Trump proves racism is a powerful tool when you understand the racists.

"Today, Israel is taking a giant step toward peace."

The only real way for this to work out is for Afghanistan to have a powerful enough military that they can fight the Taliban themselves. Since the Taliban seem to be willing to sign this deal, I'm not hopeful at all because all I see is the US decreasing our presence to the delight of the Taliban who will, at the appropriate time, start trying to overthrow the Afghan government. The only thing the Taliban get out of this deal is a decreased US presence, which is exactly what they want. To live peaceable with the Afghans? Not a snowball's chance.

Amongst the most significant difference between "The Trump Peace" and the deal that the US could have had under Mr. Obama (which Mr. Trump put the kibosh on) is the massive increase in the number of American troops that will be remaining. Mr. Trump forced the Taliban to accept a huge 2.44% increase in the number of troops that the US would have in Afghanistan.

Also, unlike the pitiful so-called "deal" that Mr. Obama made, the US will NOT "withdraw from Afghanistan", they will merely be "redeployed a limited number of troops to more actively important strategic locations".

The only real way for this to work out is for Afghanistan to have a powerful enough military that they can fight the Taliban themselves. Since the Taliban seem to be willing to sign this deal, I'm not hopeful at all because all I see is the US decreasing our presence to the delight of the Taliban who will, at the appropriate time, start trying to overthrow the Afghan government. The only thing the Taliban get out of this deal is a decreased US presence, which is exactly what they want. To live peaceable with the Afghans? Not a snowball's chance.

So, if you were to rate this on a scale of 0 to 10, would it be safe to say that it would come in someplace around:

1. for the Taliban - 9 (±1)
  2. for the US - 4 (±1)
  3. for the existing government of Afghanistan - 1 (±1)

and, if not, how would you rate it?

So, if you were to rate this on a scale of 0 to 10, would it be safe to say that it would come in someplace around:

1. for the Taliban - 9 (±1)
  2. for the US - 4 (±1)
  3. for the existing government of Afghanistan - 1 (±1)

and, if not, how would you rate it?

Short answer: I'm not making any bets.

Watch: the US forces will be redeployed within the country not withdrawn.

Watch: the US forces will be redeployed within the country not withdrawn.
Sadly incorrect. We may very well be setting ourselves up to repeat some of the mistakes of 2011. Pretending the Taliban are trustworthy partners is a fools errand.

Sadly incorrect. We may very well be setting ourselves up to repeat some of the mistakes of 2011. Pretending the Taliban are trustworthy partners is a fools errand.

Actually, it reminds me more of abandoning South Vietnam.

Actually, it reminds me more of abandoning South Vietnam.
That will come when and if we abandon Kabul. :-/.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

This would be the concern as well as a reasoned expectation. On reading the the OP my first thought was 'How long with the Taliban keep their obligations in the agreement?'

A reasonable question and skepticism to have, as the very Taliban has already overthrown the established Afghani government once in recent history.

Cautious and skeptical, but hoping for the best for the Afghan citizens, people, government, and the US troops.

I am correct, you are not. Watch.

The Taliban will over run the country and take over within a year.

There's no good way to end the war, so end it.

The graveyard of empires.

The Taliban will over run the country and take over within a year.
I don't think we'll see anything that fast, though, it's not impossible. Much will depend on what the Tajiks do.

The same people who will cheer Trump on for this would have torn Obama apart for even suggesting such a thing. Trump proves racism is a powerful tool when you understand the racists.

racism? Is this like seeing Putin under every bed?

No more foolish than to think that the Taliban could be defeated using our current "battle plan". The US finds itself in a very odd position "diplomatically" - if the Taliban are indeed terrorists, then we can't negotiate with (or trust) them.

I don't think we'll see anything that fast, though, it's not impossible. Much will depend on what the Tajiks do.

It will take years for the US to withdraw since we will stay on and train their military and police/security forces..Trump is just trying to look good for his reelection campaign.

The Taliban will control the country in 6 months or less.

Would you care to wager a donation to DP on it?

Sure, I have always paid when I lose on the Boards, which has been twice in dozens of bets.

Set the context of the wager.

Back
Top Bottom