• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US postal service - good or bad?

In my opinion the US postal service is ...

• very good

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • good

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • neither good nor bad

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • bad

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • very bad

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • rotten

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • other

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters
By that standard, they don't have to regulate trade with foreign nations or handle piracy.

Okay. Not sure what that has to do with your claim the Constitution mandates the Post Office.

The US Post Service seems to be glorified here as something next to God.
When America is God's own country, then the US Post is God's own Post Service! :mrgreen:
The Postal Service is better than God. There is plenty of evidence for its existence and it delivers.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

It has now come to light that the US postal service is underfinanced and that the Republican Party under D. Trump planned do weaken it still further. :(

Do you still think that the US postal service is the best in the world - like all US things are always the best things in the world? :cool:

It could be if the government gets out of the postal business and sticks to governing only. Private industry put up the Empire State Building in 1-1/2 years and sat on my porch and watched PENN-DOT here in PA spend 5 years building a 2 lane road over a tiny stream and feel damn lucky they got it done at all. We had this massive crane sitting there for 5 years. I wonder what that cost the taxpayers. When you see this clown show going on all across the state it should be clear to everyone that private industry can do a better job than government.

It has always amazed me that you can live in Maine and for the cheap price of a first class stamp have a letter delivered in Hawaii. Tremendous bargain.

No it is not a bargain because our tax dollars paid for it to go there. You think the post office is able to deliver that letter for that price. You need to open your eyes to reality.

No it is not a bargain because our tax dollars paid for it to go there. You think the post office is able to deliver that letter for that price. You need to open your eyes to reality.

The USPS has always been a government service paid for with tax dollars and collection fees from the citizenry. This is nothing new.

And despite your obvious hostility - it is very much still a bargain.

The Postal Service is better than God. There is plenty of evidence for its existence and it delivers.

If the Postal Service is mightier than God, how come Trump can ruin it?
Is Trump mightier than God and the Postal Service combined?

Why are republiQans sabotaging the USPS and ****ing over farmers, rural folks, the elderly, and Veterans who depend on the USPS for their medications, medical devices, farm/rural supplies, checks, and important mail?

The post office should be self sufficient. Otherwise, it is just taxpayer quicksand, more money added onto the debt.

Because they are required by law to prepay their pension plans.

So? They are operating in the red. They need to be self sufficient, including their pensions.

Your beliefs don't matter. Only the facts matter. The USPS is funded almost entirely by postage.

In 2006, Congress passed a law that required the USPS to statutorily pay pension benefits up-front. This costs them billions per year.

They are not self sufficient if they are in the red 10 B's every year. So, raise the stamp price up to a dollar to cover the 10 B.

The USPS has always been a government service paid for with tax dollars and collection fees from the citizenry. This is nothing new.

And despite your obvious hostility - it is very much still a bargain.

It is not a bargain. Nothing is free. The reason that letter can be delivered to Hawaii for 55 cents is because people not sending a letter are being taxed to make up the difference in cost. Always someone else paying for someone who should be paying.

6,800 chicks were delivered dead to farmers and rural folks the last few days due to the sabotage of the USPS. Won’t help in swing ME-02.

Same with hundreds of dead chicks to swing New Hampshire. Never happened before. USPS is the only source for these chicks for rural folks and farmers.

I can see the headlines now,
"TRUMP CAUSES THE DEATHS OF THOUSANDS OF CHICKS! BARNYARD HENS ARE FURIOUS!!"[/B]

I like democracy...so sorry you don't.

There is no true democracy. But we have the best representative democracy in the world.
Our form of democracy is something we should be willing to die for.

Many Trump-haters accuse Trump of being a king or a dictator.
He can't even get lowly governors, mayors, police chiefs, education administrators, and state election officials to do his bidding.
Some dictator.

It has now come to light that the US postal service is underfinanced and that the Republican Party under D. Trump planned do weaken it still further. :(

Do you still think that the US postal service is the best in the world - like all US things are always the best things in the world? :cool:

We need the USPS but we need better management. Billions in debt from poor management and now the democrats want to throw more money at it and all the while claiming voter suppression.

lpy1ua1kq8i51.jpg

It is not a bargain. Nothing is free. The reason that letter can be delivered to Hawaii for 55 cents is because people not sending a letter are being taxed to make up the difference in cost. Always someone else paying for someone who should be paying.

Exactly!

As the saying goes: "There is no such thing as a free lunch. Somebody pays."

Starting a thread with an overt lie. Doesn't exactly seem like a way to be taken seriously.

The USPS is a good thing, having nothing to do with Trump handling it.

USPS, Amazon, Google the Most Trusted Brands - Lessons Learned - Small Business Trends

Seems that Americans agree on this, at least compared to pretty much any other known "brand".

The USPS is a good thing, having nothing to do with Trump handling it.

Huh?

USPS has lost $69 billion over the past 11 fiscal years—including $3.9 billion in fiscal year 2018. USPS's total unfunded liabilities and debt ($143 billion at the end of fiscal year 2018) have grown to double its annual revenue.

U.S. GAO - Key Issues: U.S. Postal Service's Financial Viability - High Risk Issue.

I consider the USPS necessary, but it needs to find a way to operate without constant bail outs.

Congress needs to stop cozying up to the bulk/junk mailers who get massive discounts, while overwhelming the USPS system and passing the costs on to the very people who don't want this garbage mail to begin with.

Because of an unfair regulation implemented that requires them to prefund pensions for 75 years. Its already been addressed.

This is a required service, one that most Americans rely on, depend on, and many Americans find favorable to any other name brand.

I have no issue charging bulk mailers more. I have big issue raising prices on everyone else simply because some don't understand the very important need of a government run postal service.

Last edited:
Because of an unfair regulation implemented that requires them to prefund pensions for 75 years. Its already been addressed.

Actually, the postal service was going south BEFORE this

I didnt say mightier, I said better.

A persons body can be better than another person's and still be ruined in an accident or by a jealous marring incident. A government can be better than another and eventually still be brought down by others. Doesnt make those others better.

Back
Top Bottom