• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US postal service - good or bad?

In my opinion the US postal service is ...

• very good

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • good

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • neither good nor bad

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • bad

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • very bad

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • rotten

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • other

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters
I know a lot about it - and I know a lot about other postal services. So I can compare. :) :2wave:

I like the quote in Latin:
Non enim propter gloriam, divicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.

For it is not for glory, nor riches, nor honors that we are fighting, but for freedom alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Makes me want to watch "Braveheart" and the Terminator movie series again.

Just going from my own personal experiences, if I were to compare USPS to competitive delivery, ie: UPS, FedEx, Amazon, etc., I would say, without a doubt that USPS is as good, and probably better, than the competition.

Now, in regards to competency v. cost, I couldn't say because I don't know. I mean, I think USPS is great, but if it takes a zillion dollars to make it that way, that is worth looking in to in my opinion.

But I have been using USPS for my personal and business mail delivery and I would say USPS bats about a .995. I can't say that about the competitiors. I do have to use UPS, FedEx, etc., on occasion and I really have no complaints there but there have been incidences, delays, times I missed the delivery driver and I had to go to their facilities to pick things up. That wasn't too cool. But when you consider my volume of mail, and the number of times mail/USPS/FedEX, etc., has dropped the ball, it's not even a flea on an elephant's ass. I think USPS screwed up once in 14 years. And even that was no real biggee. My mail got delivered next door. The neighbor dropped it off. That's a pretty good record.

I give USPS 5 out of 5 stars.

But some of the people I know who work there are bat**** crazy. LOL! (Love 'em anyway.)

You just gotta know when someone is about to go POSTAL!!

I chose very good, I use the post office often and pay the majority of my bills still by regular mail. I have sent and received packages over the years via USPS for many years with none or very few issues. We will be bringing our ballots in November to drop boxes, as opposed to mailing them at the post office.

I think you might know whatever it is that Pelosi is saying about the "destruction" of the USPS by Trump and DeJoy.
What problems, besides bleeding taxpayer dollars, does the USPS have that was caused by Trump?

6,800 chicks were delivered dead to farmers and rural folks the last few days due to the sabotage of the USPS. Won’t help in swing ME-02.

Same with hundreds of dead chicks to swing New Hampshire. Never happened before. USPS is the only source for these chicks for rural folks and farmers.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then why are they 10 billion short every year?

Why are republiQans sabotaging the USPS and ****ing over farmers, rural folks, the elderly, and Veterans who depend on the USPS for their medications, medical devices, farm/rural supplies, checks, and important mail?

It has now come to light that the US postal service is underfinanced and that the Republican Party under D. Trump planned do weaken it still further. :(

Do you still think that the US postal service is the best in the world - like all US things are always the best things in the world? :cool:
The Post Office gets no funds from the US government.

I think you might know whatever it is that Pelosi is saying about the "destruction" of the USPS by Trump and DeJoy.
What problems, besides bleeding taxpayer dollars, does the USPS have that was caused by Trump?

I do not know what Pelosi has to do with the postal service.

I do Know that Trump and Dejoy has implied that there may be cuts to the postal service..
Question ; Why? is it because the postal service cost the Taxpayers too much money? Is it because they are afraid the taxpayers aren't getting the money's worth?
If either of these are the case I have some questions about taxpayer money being spent on tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires.:peace

No. It isn't. Congress is granted the authority to establish "post offices and post roads," but that is not the same as being constitutionally mandated. All it means is that whenever a post office or post road is created, it was done so under the authority granted to Congress by the US Constitution. It does not mandate anything. If Congress so desired they could completely abolish the USPS, because that too is implied in the authority granted to Congress. What Congress has the authority to establish, they also have the authority to abolish.

Article I, sec 8, clause 7.

It doesn't matter if you don't like it.

The Constitution gives Congress the power to establish a Post Office, but it doesn’t require it.

By that standard, they don't have to regulate trade with foreign nations or handle piracy.

How much detail about it is there in the constitution? Does it provide specifics about how it is to be run? Does it talk about mail in balloting?

Nope. It just says establish post offices and postal roads.

The last half is funny when libertarians start screeching about how the interstate system is extra-constitutional and shouldn't be run by the government.

You clearly need to get out of your leftist bubble. Once you get outside of the major cities the USPS is less than useless. We pay for services that are not being provided, except to those who live in the big cities.

If everyone who didn't get USPS services refused to pay for the USPS, then your postage would more than triple for the exact same services. Just like with education, millions of Americans are paying for government services that they will never receive.

Who cares about some yokels? You are as free to roll around in the permafrost as you choose, and nobody will make you use the mean old USPS.

And you aren't paying for it. The USPS hasn't received federal funding for anything other than mandated access since 1971.

None at all?
Nothing?
Not that I could find; they get some favorable rates on loans; maybe help with their pension deficits occasionally.

Why are republiQans sabotaging the USPS and ****ing over farmers, rural folks, the elderly, and Veterans who depend on the USPS for their medications, medical devices, farm/rural supplies, checks, and important mail?

Why?
What is the answer to that?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your beliefs don't matter. Only the facts matter. The USPS is funded almost entirely by postage.

Then why are they 10 billion short every year?

In 2006, Congress passed a law that required the USPS to statutorily pay pension benefits up-front. This costs them billions per year.

I have a suspicion:

Those who praise the US Post Service over the moon here - have never written and posted a letter in their life! :confused::cool:

Cant you find some European forum to post in? You have no idea what you are talking about. I have been using the P.O. for 50+ years. We all have our pet peaves with any service organization. The postal service works for me every day. I have noticed some delays and an occasional day (or two) that the carrier doesn't show up.

For the most part, I have noticed these changes since Trump has been attempting the sabotage the P.O. Things have gotten noticeably worse.

Btw: I never criticised the individual postal workers.
I criticise the organization.

It starts with it's leaders. We all know there have been problems brewing for a while. But they sure have come front and center since Trump can see he's loosing and afraid to death of all mail in voting.

The US Post Service seems to be glorified here as something next to God.
When America is God's own country, then the US Post is God's own Post Service! :mrgreen:

Foxy,
That's a very positive thing to say about our country.
It's good to know that there are certain institutions that can outlive the "destruction" that Trump has wrought.
Just ask Pelosi, Michelle, Kamala, Joe Biden, Barack, and Chuckie schumer.

I like democracy...so sorry you don't.

Back
Top Bottom