• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UK 2010 Election

The turnout seems pretty good so far.

Seeing as I stayed up all night for the last 3 American elections, the challenge is on..accompanied by a bottle of vodka and a raft of diet red bull :2razz:
Not stayed up for a British election since 97 and still remember Portillo losing his seat at 4am. Phone didn't stop ringing for 2hts afterwards with family and friends celebrating.

blueangel!!!!! :D :D :D

alright, can someone explain to me what and how exactly a "hung parliament" works?

Seeing as I stayed up all night for the last 3 American elections, the challenge is on..accompanied by a bottle of vodka and a raft of diet red bull :2razz:
Not stayed up for a British election since 97 and still remember Portillo losing his seat at 4am. Phone didn't stop ringing for 2hts afterwards with family and friends celebrating.

Im gonna attempt it sober.

blueangel!!!!! :D :D :D

alright, can someone explain to me what and how exactly a "hung parliament" works?
CP!!!!!!!! :2wave: How are you and the family doing sweetheart? Baby No.2 on it's way yet? How long have you been home?

p.s. Hung parliament is when no single party has an overall majority. Works perfectly well in Germany and NZ.

Too early to call right now, still about 500+ seats left to declare :/

I think I will cry if my area goes red or blue.

Too early to call right now, still about 500+ seats left to declare :/

I think I will cry if my area goes red or blue.

why what are you right now

It's looking like this right now...

326 to win Party Predicted seats Seats Change Vote %
Labour 52 -8 31.5 %
Conservative 33 +9 28.6 %
Liberal Democrat 5 -1 18.5 %

nothing clear yet but im still expecting a slight con majority.

Hung Parliament seems more likely.

Edit: Changed the numbers for about the 5th time

Last edited:
I wanted to see a great Conservative majority. Not so much because I have total faith in Tory competency (though their promises at least talk the walk), more that Labour should take more of the oblivion they suffered after 1979. But because British politics is in such a state, this hung parliament rubbish seems a more likely outcome.

After the nation faced strife and ruin as union barons dictated government policy, the rightfully vanquished Old Labour endured a long death rattle before it was reborn as New Labour. Out went the dinosaur, ruinous Clause 4 crap for example, but in came fully-fledged political correctness.

The gulf between PC ivory-tower masters and beseiged, bepunished ordinary decent normal people is stark. Criminals are slapped on the wrist and 'understood', whilst normal people can be punished and demonised for making citizens' arrests, punching attackers, putting too much rubbish in their bins or smoking inside.

It would have been nice to see Labour forced to drop another failing, angering ideology to regain public trust, one which ultimately betrays common sense and culture, surrenders to synthetic foreign powers and belittles patriotism. But they'll see no reason to change their menacing ways if they can still retain some credibility at the polls.

Last edited:
I do not want a Conservative majority.

I'd prefer a hung parliament or Conservatives with a minority Government so they know the public still does not trust them.

Numbers updated:
Con - 118
Lab - 107
Lib Dem - 18

Hung parliaments mean power struggles and sleazy deals. Far from getting closer to the Public, they'll move away up in the Westminster Bubble.

Labour and the Lib Dems ganging up to swamp the Tories, even if they have a majority in number terms? Those lunatics even madder about EU integration and the euro than Labour, madder on overtaxing than Labour, madder about political correctness, 'amnesties' for a million illegal immigrants and having even more convicted felons slapped on the wrist or let out of jail early, etc?

Give me the Tories. Best of a bad lot I grant you, but much better than that.

Last edited:
How did my hero Farage do (aside his kamikaze attempt), did he win from that Bercow numbtie?

How did my hero Farage do (aside his kamikaze attempt), did he win from that Bercow numbtie?

Result not in yet but the likelihood of a UKIP win is pretty low. They seem to be polling around 3% nationwide.

Bercow 47%, Farage 17%. OMG, what's wrong with these people?

Well, THE ECONOMIST wisely posts this:
Gordon Brown: The devil you know
David Cameron: The devil you won't
Nick Clegg: Who's the devil?

As replied, all politician are devils, but I favor Tories more because they hadn't had a chance in a while and they seems to be the best anyways

My analysis: Brown is bound to lose, but still clings on with his fingernails. Clegg is trying to figure out why his popularity and number of seats are still comparatively low despite his excellent performance in the debate. Meanwhile, Cameron is likely to win, with the voters clamoring for him.

Hey, look -- no more Jacqui Smith!!

Well, THE ECONOMIST wisely posts this:
Gordon Brown: The devil you know
David Cameron: The devil you won't
Nick Clegg: Who's the devil?

As replied, all politician are devils, but I favor Tories more because they hadn't had a chance in a while and they seems to be the best anyways

My analysis: Brown is bound to lose, but still clings on with his fingernails. Clegg is trying to figure out why his popularity and number of seats are still comparatively low despite his excellent performance in the debate. Meanwhile, Cameron is likely to win, with the voters clamoring for him.

It looks like the Tories will form a coalition with the LibDems, but it will take a while for a deal to be thrashed out. Cameron's first public offer to the LibDems won't be enough. They say they will agree to elements of the LD programme but then specify only those elements that coincide with the Tory manifesto.

Cameron has a steep learning curve to climb in learning how to compromise. He represents 36% of the electorate, Clegg represents 23%. If Cameron wants to be PM he has to get serious about offering the LDs a reason to become partners in government. That means: cabinet seats; some realistic electoral reform proposal; compromise on Trident renewal; compromise on immigration controls; substantive compromise on EU relations.

Let's look at the maths. Remember, 326 seats needed for a working majority.

A Tory-LibDem coalition would look like this:
Con 305
LD 57
DUP 8

Total 370 (44 maj)

A Lib-Lab coalition:
Lab 258
LD 57
SNP 6
PC 3
SDLP 3
Green 1
Alliance 1

Total 329 (Maj 3)

A Con-DUP coaliton:
Con 305
DUP 8

Total 315 (11 short of maj)

So, the LibDems are the Tories' only option for forming a working majority. The LibDems are Labour's only option for creating a weak majority administration, and then they'll have to negotiate with 5 other small parties, 3 of which would have the power to bring the government down at any time.

Con-LibDem is the only hope for stability. Let's see if the Tories are prepared to compromise on substantive issues in order to offer the country that stability.

Back
Top Bottom