• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UK 2010 Election

I severely doubt you believe that yourself.

Well, he has long had a drinking problem, anecdotes from the European Parliament to this effect are legion. He covered up a case of serious corrupt practices by his MEP colleague, Titford, and of the 12 UKIP MEPs elected in 2004, one was sent to prison, one was charged with false accounting and money laundering, and two had to pay back misclaimed expenses. As for being a demagogue, well that at least is merely a matter of opinion.

Nigel Farage: Brimming over with bile and booze - Times Online

Last edited:
Well, he has long had a drinking problem, anecdotes from the European Parliament to this effect are legion. He covered up a case of serious corrupt practices by his MEP colleague, Titford, and of the 12 UKIP MEPs elected in 2004, one was sent to prison, one was charged with false accounting and money laundering, and two had to pay back misclaimed expenses. As for being a demagogue, well that at least is merely a matter of opinion.

Nigel Farage: Brimming over with bile and booze - Times Online
The corruption is a serious matter, I simply wasn't aware of those cases and assumed you referred to the money they spend on the "NO" campaign.
I like Farage because of his ideas and his ability to convey them, I'm not interested in his personal life, and when it comes to addiction I'll be the last to judge.
Most politicians are demagogues, some are just better than others. Unfortunately, the decent ones seldomly survive the backstabbing culture in politics.

However, this is your election and you should feel free to express yourself in any way you see fit. My comment referred to your suggestion that britons would know when they see one (an alcoholic, corrupt demagogue), and would not vote in favor of one. I don't know about your experience, from the 10 people I meet, 9 dislike talking about politics and know little about it.

Last edited:
The corruption is a serious matter, I simply wasn't aware of those cases and assumed you referred to the money they spend on the "NO" campaign.
I like Farage because of his ideas and his ability to convey them, I'm not interested in his personal life, and when it comes to addiction I'll be the last to judge.
Most politicians are demagogues, some are just better than others. Unfortunately, the decent ones seldomly survive the backstabbing culture in politics.

However, this is your election and you should feel free to express yourself in any way you see fit. My comment referred to your suggestion that britons would know when they see one (an alcoholic, corrupt demagogue), and would not vote in favor of one. I don't know about your experience, from the 10 people I meet, 9 dislike talking about politics and know little about it.

I don't like Farage. you probably picked that up, didn't you? I was being purposely disparaging because I think he's a hypocrite and a xenophobic 'Little Englander'. He pretends that he is squeaky, uncorruptibly clean and... he's a politician just like the rest. I have nothing against alcoholics being involved in politics. It's inevitable and not necessarily something that impairs their ability to be effective in the political arena.

God knows, some of our most effective leaders have had personal problems with drink. Disraeli, Lloyd George, Ramsey Macdonald, Churchill, and Wilson have all been BIG drinkers. No, my point is principally that Farage and UKIP are basically far-right Tories with one issue and one obsession. They have no vision, no superiority of ethics and morality and no real reason to exist except for their hatred of a united Europe.

.....xenophobic 'Little Englander'.

Ah, the insults! Well done Andy, you're in my world now! Just a bit more venom and knowing you're doing it and you'll firmly be the other cheek of our same backside!

Last edited:
Ah, the insults! Well done Andy, you're in my world now! Just a bit more venom and knowing you're doing it and you'll firmly be the other cheek of our same backside!

Are you checking out my backside RoP? People will get the wrong (right?) idea about you.

Do you think that the expression, 'Little Englander' is an insult? It's not. Some of my best friends.... yadda, yadda... but true. Xenophobic? Again, not intended as an insult, just a fair description. Now had I called him a xenophobic c**t, or a piece of Little Englander scum, then you could begin to welcome me into your satanic brotherhood. Until then, Mephisto...

I don't like Farage. you probably picked that up, didn't you?
Yes, but I certainly didn't expect you to be so sensitive about it, to each his own.
I was being purposely disparaging because I think he's a hypocrite and a xenophobic 'Little Englander'. He pretends that he is squeaky, uncorruptibly clean and... he's a politician just like the rest.
:rolleyes:
I have nothing against alcoholics being involved in politics. It's inevitable and not necessarily something that impairs their ability to be effective in the political arena. God knows, some of our most effective leaders have had personal problems with drink. Disraeli, Lloyd George, Ramsey Macdonald, Churchill, and Wilson have all been BIG drinkers.
There you go, I knew we would agree about that.
No, my point is principally that Farage and UKIP are basically far-right Tories with one issue and one obsession. They have no vision, no superiority of ethics and morality and no real reason to exist except for their hatred of a united Europe.
You don't have to know crap about british politics to realise that
no vision, no superiority of ethics and morality and no real reason to exist except for their hatred of a united Europe
isn't a nuanced qualification.

I don't feel like ranting today, maybe next time.

Even if it's origin is benign, 'Little Englander' is used as an insult. Same with 'Xenophobic'.

Yes, but I certainly didn't expect you to be so sensitive about it, to each his own.
I am very far from sensitive about them. I think they are pretty irrelevant.

isn't a nuanced qualification.

What's to qualify? They are a party set up to oppose Britain's EU membership. They are a one issue party. Were the UK to leave the EU, they would cease to exist.

I don't feel like ranting today, maybe next time.

Looking forward to it! ;)

Back
Top Bottom