• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tour De France 2010

Well, after that punk move by Alberto Contador last night, today's stage looks to be very interesting indeed. Four monster climbs -- two cat 1 climbs followed by two H-C climbs. Expect Astana and Saxo Bank to be pumped after last night's stunt by Alberto. Andy is going to have to challenge one of these mountains... perhaps the last. Also, don't be surprised if Radio Shack makes a play today. Levi needs to make up some time, and though Lance is a bit on the old side, he is still a great climber and I would love to have him as a climbing domestique on my team. If they could coax Sanchez and a couple of other mountain goats on other teams, they could make a break that the leaders would not dare ignore. Don't be surprised by such a challenge by Radio Shack or another team with strong climbers on the first of the H-C climbs.

Astana and Saxo Bank better prep their domestiques and protect and service their leaders. And if Contador has any problems whatsoever, don't expect Schleck to have any sympathy.

Well, we now know Alberto Contador is unsporting. When your main rival has mechanical problems, you don't launch a counter-attack on him. More on this tomorrow morning... it is late here...

Come on now, haven't you ever launched a good sprint when your team mate reaches down for his water bottle?:lol:

Well, nothing really went on today regarding the GC. Interesting stage though. Interesting seeing Armstrong come up at the end, but was no match for the group he was in. The announcers did say that there would not be attacks for the GC, though. They are thinking its going to be Thursday.

We're running out of time. Rest day tomorrow, more mountains on Thursday. I know the TT is on Saturday, with Paris Sunday. Schleck has to attack on Thursday, right?

Come on now, haven't you ever launched a good sprint when your team mate reaches down for his water bottle?:lol:

lol -- I am a triathlete ... no teams... just on your own.... and as I am a weak swimmer, I am generally passing guys on the bike anyway... :)

Well, nothing really went on today regarding the GC. Interesting stage though. Interesting seeing Armstrong come up at the end, but was no match for the group he was in. The announcers did say that there would not be attacks for the GC, though. They are thinking its going to be Thursday.

We're running out of time. Rest day tomorrow, more mountains on Thursday. I know the TT is on Saturday, with Paris Sunday. Schleck has to attack on Thursday, right?

It will have to be on the Tourmalet... the last climb on Thursday... It is a monster and ideally suited for someone who can make an extended effort on a climb like Schleck.... Contador is more expolsive, but Schleck can maintain sustained work on a climb longer... that is where he will go for it...

I didn't think Lance would win the sprint, but I am darn well pleased he was there at the end of the stage... shows he still has the legs... I wonder what he will do on the Tourmalet on Thursday? And you know, Radio Shack leads the team standings right now, so he and the team do have something to ride for... Caisse d'epargne is 4:27 back (like Radio Shack, they had two riders in the breakway yesterday) but both gained significant time on the other teams. Rabobank in third place is more than thirty minutes back...

lol -- I am a triathlete ... no teams... just on your own.... and as I am a weak swimmer, I am generally passing guys on the bike anyway... :)

By the way, I was reading today's review of the stage by Chris Carmichael and he was complimenting the older guys in today's race. I thought this part would be good for ya!

Not too long ago, sports scientists, coaches, and athletes all believed that athletic performance dropped precipitously once an athlete reached his or her mid-30s. It just made sense: how many great champions did you see who were older than 35 years old? And for a long time, I don’t think people gave it much more thought. They just accepted that going slower was a price of growing older. In more recent years, though, we’ve seen more and more examples of endurance athletes achieving championship performances into their late 30s and even early 40s. In amateur competitions, we’re seeing a dramatic improvement in performances from athletes in their 40s, 50s, and 60s!

Since the majority of athletes working with CTS Coaches are older than 35, and Lance Armstrong was 37 when he returned to competition following his retirement, I get a lot of questions about athletes and aging. I think the reason we’re seeing improved performances from a larger number of older athletes (there have always been successful older athletes, there just seem to be more now) is due to a greater understanding of training, nutrition, recovery, and injury prevention/treatment. Put simply, athletes are taking better care of themselves now because there are more resources available and they have more access to information about how to use those resources
Carmichael Training Systems: Bicycling.com

By the way, I was reading today's review of the stage by Chris Carmichael and he was complimenting the older guys in today's race. I thought this part would be good for ya!

Carmichael Training Systems: Bicycling.com

Hey, I am 39 years old and am an elite-level marathoner now recording better times than I did when I was in my 20s. Who says 39 is too old???

Hey, I am 39 years old and am an elite-level marathoner now recording better times than I did when I was in my 20s. Who says 39 is too old???

I think there is a medical revolution going on that is allowing us to gain knowledge on how to be more healthy. It kind of like they say that 40 is the new 30 and 50 is the new 40. When I read Kenneth Cooper in the 70's, I remember how his book talked about doing autopsis on dead soldiers from Vietnam and finding the beginning of heart disease in guys in their early 20's. They used to think that if you had a heart attack, you should just rest, take it easy and hope for the best. Nowdays we know the importance of aerobic exercise and also I think there is advocation for strength training, stretching and core work for people of all ages.

I think what also harmed people was psychologically believing that they should slow down or stop exercising after they started to decline a little. Well, you do that and I guarantee you'll decline alot! Charmichael is a little younger than me but I remember the days when they used to believe that you peaked at marathoning in your early thirties. Then Carlos Lopes came around and won the 84 Olympic Marathon at 38 years of age and that changed that belief. You're definitely an example that the thinking was wrong!

Now, after a rest day -- back to the Tour.

Tourmalet today.... massive climb to end the stage. This will be the last chance for Shleck to gain time. I expect him to attack before mid-climb and drive on until he gets to the top of the Tourmalet or he can't move his legs anymore. Contador would prefer a latter attack on the mountain because while he is more explosive than Schleck, he doesn't have Schleck's endurance on the climb. IN that, Schleck is just awesome.

Potential wild card, will Sanchez or Menchov (more likely Sanchez) launch an attack on one of the earlier climbs in the hopes of making up a 2-3 minute time gain? If so, any strategy to wait until the last climb by AS or AC will go out the window because those two riders are close enough to the leaders and strong enough in the mountains to give a real threat to the Yellow Jersey, and if Sanchez attacks on the second to last hill, he will be tough to catch on the descent because it has proven himself the best descender in the bunch.

Today has the potential to be a VERY interesting stage. I HOPE Sanchez attacks on the Soulor (the cat 1 climb that comes before the Tourmalet). That will blow the stage wide open because Contador and Schleck would HAVE to respond to a strong climber who is only two minutes in arrears and completely change the complexion of the race.

Yep, tomorrow the day. I almost feel like Contador might need to attack. I'm not convinced Schleck is so terrible in the TT as they think. But then he probably will attack too. No matter what, this has been an excellent TdF. Didn't go well for guys such as Armstrong,Leipheimer or Evans, but unexpectly good for Sanchez and Menchov. Can't wait to see what going to happen.

The good thing is Versus is starting coverage again at 6:30am. We'll get plenty of the race here in the US.

Yep, tomorrow the day. I almost feel like Contador might need to attack. I'm not convinced Schleck is so terrible in the TT as they think. But then he probably will attack too. No matter what, this has been an excellent TdF. Didn't go well for guys such as Armstrong,Leipheimer or Evans, but unexpectly good for Sanchez and Menchov. Can't wait to see what going to happen.

The good thing is Versus is starting coverage again at 6:30am. We'll get plenty of the race here in the US.

Keep forgetting about the time zone difference... I have already had my Thursday morning run and you are still on Wednesday evening...

You're nothing but a mere child, yet. You will continue to excel into your 40's and beyond.

Wow, nice finish. Contador is probably going to win the GC, but Schleck has definitely won my heart. Man, damn chain.

That was a fun finish. Did you see how it looked like Schleck was almost taunting Contador on that climb?

Seems highly unlikely Schleck can win this now. Contador is a better time trialer and will have the advantage of coming after Schleck during the time trial...

Damn chain and chickensh*t attack AC made on it...

Ok, today is the absolute last chance for Schleck. A 32 mile individual time trial on a fairly flat course. Contador is supposed to be extremely superior on this. Why am I hoping his chain falls off or he goes down or something. I find most TTs to be fairly boring to watch. However, I think the importance of it will keep be riveted to my seat with a good supply of coffee. ;-)

Edit-Lance gets a large amount of applause as he leaves the start.

Last edited:
And Denis Menchov is looking good to get the third podium spot...

Fabian Cancellara is going to win this stage... no one on the road is even close to him right now...

And Denis Menchov is looking good to get the third podium spot...

Fabian Cancellara is going to win this stage... no one on the road is even close to him right now...

I've been rooting for Menchov to get up on the podium. The poor guy had a terrible tour last year, plus it doesn't hurt that Rabobank rides on Giant which is my road bike brand. :)

Yeah, Cancellara is way ahead of everybody in this type of event. I'm sure you saw the silly crap that came out about him using a battery motor. What a laugh.

Contador is in his rhythm now, and this is only 52 km. Once you get into a rhythm, it isn't that hard to keep it for that distance... It really isn't that far... Schleck is spent... :(

I've been rooting for Menchov to get up on the podium. The poor guy had a terrible tour last year, plus it doesn't hurt that Rabobank rides on Giant which is my road bike brand. :)

Yeah, Cancellara is way ahead of everybody in this type of event. I'm sure you saw the silly crap that came out about him using a battery motor. What a laugh.

Well, at least we ride brands from the same country -- mine is a Merida...

I don't understand about this whole motor thing. That would add so much weight to the bike... they keep these things as close to the 6km minimum weight as possible... It wouldn't be worth it when you are riding 50km/hr

Well, at least we ride brands from the same country -- mine is a Merida...

I don't understand about this whole motor thing. That would add so much weight to the bike... they keep these things as close to the 6km minimum weight as possible... It wouldn't be worth it when you are riding 50km/hr

Just some sensationalism in the press. Never was any facts about it.

Back
Top Bottom