• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tour De France 2010

Stage 7 -- and into the Alps we go...

Not considered a full-fledged mountain stage, there is a cat 4 sandwiched by two cat 3 climbs before three cat 2 climbs including one to finish the stage. Normally, I think the GC contenders would wait until tomorrow's stage to make a move, but I would not be surprised if one of the GC contenders made a move today. If any of them do, I think there are two leading contenders to make a surprise, if pre-planned move on the last climb today.

1. Lance Armstrong -- he needs to make up some time. He lost a lot on the cobbles and he has the team to support him both up the hill and in terms of peloton management. Radio Shack has riders who can control the pace up hills while Lance goes off.

2. Cadel Evans -- Of the GC contenders, he is in the best shape, but not many people are taking him seriously yet (so it seems). If he could make a break and take the yellow (out of Lance's reach today, but in Cadel's), that could mark him as a contender for the race.

I think Contador and Schleck will wait until a true mountain stage. Contador has an overall weaker team, though he is the world's best climber. I don't know what is going through Schleck's mind after losing his brother and arguably his best domestique (especially for the hills). It will be interesting to see how he reacts if their is an Armstrong or Evans breakout on the last cat 2.

Should be an interesting stage which unfortunately I won't watch until the end because I have a combined bike/run training session early tomorrow morning.

I looked ahead a little and there are a few climbs coming up for the next few days. They're have a day off on Monday and Thursday is back to being more flat and sprinter friendly but everything else looks like daily climbing. So it will be interesting to see what strategies are used among the GC riders. I think you're right that Lance needs to take some chances and cut away at the deficit he is facing regarding GC contenders. Not insurmondable, but will be tough. The announcers are blaming the timing of his flat for the cobblestone loss because they think Lance is in good physical condition.

Definitely time to shake up the leader board and see who's legit and who's team is most helpful on the climbs. Versus coverage started at 7:30am today. Nice to see them giving us as much live coverage as possible. One other note, I noticed Denis Menchov the Russian from Rabobank is only 9 seconds behind Contador and tied with Wiggins. This is a guy who has had much potential but looked extremely bad last year right after he won the Giro D'Italia. This year he stated that he was worn down from that the GDI and would be concentrating the TdF only. He would be a definitely darkhorse, but a possible contender.

Last edited:
I'm afriad you know nothing - professional cycling is one of the most brutal and unrelenting sports in the history of the world. The Tour De France is three weeks of suffering and pain of the highest order.

Then why do they do it? Im guessing they enjoy the brutal and unrelenting sport.... which makes it enjoyable to those who do it.

Then why do they do it? Im guessing they enjoy the brutal and unrelenting sport.... which makes it enjoyable to those who do it.

Perhaps the same reason some of us do triathlons... It is a lot of work, it is hard, but the sense of accomplishment when you are done makes all of the work worth it...

Just about to start the final climb. Jerome Pineau has solidified his hold on the polka dot jersey by winning every climb so far today. The peloton is currently controlled by both Radio Shack and Astana -- which leads one to think that Armstrong and/or Contador may have designs on this last climb... I should go to bed, but this could be VERY interesting...

As of right now, Chavanel is in virtual yellow -- he has broken away from the peloton and has built enough of a lead to take the yellow away from Cancellara if he can hold it...

GREAT ride by Sylvain Chavanel to take the stage... Back into yellow... Quick Step now has yellow and polka dot... they are having a heck of a tour so far... Let's see how Chavanel holds out through the Alps...

Whew, Lance took a tumble today. But his well trained team were right on him and pulled him back up to the peloton right before a major climb. If Lance has any success, it will be because of Team Radio Shack. Good day to see who will survive these "hills." :lol:

Note on yesterday: Yes, that was a great ride by Chavanel. So his victory on stage two was not a fluke. He's really got a great story. Wasn't even supposed to be here, had a major accident in spring where he hit his head.

Really enjoying the coverage today. They started on Versus at 7:30am eastern live and will cover until the finish. Got a nice pot of coffee going and just chillin'.:cool:

Last edited:
Break day tomorrow. We saw the end of any chance for Lance today. Extremely bad luck all day long for him. After the third accident, he realized it wasn't his day and ultimately not his tour.

Andy Schleck looked great winning and Cadel moves into the yellow. But we still got a lonnnnnnng way to go! More mountains to come!

MORZINE, France — Lance Armstrong says his hopes of an eighth Tour de France victory are "finished" after he struggled in the Alps and was caught up in three crashes during an eighth stage won by Andy Schleck of Luxembourg on Sunday.

The Texan crossed nearly 12 minutes behind Schleck during the 117.4-mile run from Station des Rousses to the Morzine-Avoriaz ski resort.

Armstrong said after the stage that he had a "very, very bad day" and "my Tour is finished" -- but said he will continue the three-week race that ends July 25 in Paris.
http://www.latimes.com/news/la-spw-...+(L.A.+Times+-+Top+News)&utm_content=My+Yahoo

Last edited:
Yeah, Lance is done. Too many tumbles and near tumbles completely took him out of his rhythm. Apparently, he hurt his hip. That would completely explain the grimicing on the climbs that was evident to anyone and everyone watching. The commentators on Eurosport (both English and French -- I alternated between the two) were highly sympathetic to his condition last night. I don't think anyone wanted to see it end this way. However, if he can get some rest today on the rest day, he can still contend for a stage and perhaps help Levi do well in the GC. He had a good ride yesterday.

Cadel Evans in Yellow. I don't think that will last too long. He seemed to really be laboring on that last cat 1 climb yesterday. I think it is only a matter of time (perhaps very short indeed) before Andy Schleck trades in his white jersey (youth) for yellow...

Well, rest day over... those legs will have been happy for the rest day too with FIVE climbs on offer today including what will be an absolutely harrowing descent to the finish.

Start with a relatively light cat 4 climb followed by a points checkpoint for the green jersey. After the sprint points comes a 20 km-long climb up a 1118 meter climb - category one which finishes at the 46 km mark, then a near-600 meter descent leading to a cat 2 climb to the 71 km mark. The another cat one climb (677 meter-climb over 15 km) before a steep descent into Albertville and a points check at 135.5km. Then, an HC climb which comes in two parts but totals 1626m of climb over 27.5km. This is followed by a hallowing, winding descent (this is the type of descent that has resulted in deaths in past TdF races) -- 1475m descent over 18.5 km. The finish will be a 13.5 km flat and potentially furious sprint.

I don't know how Cadel Evans will be able to retain the Maillot Jeune today. He didn't seem to have the ability to respond to the attacks on Sunday and only just hung on. Same can be said for Contador. Schleck looked the strongest of all contenders. I have to wonder though if any of the main contenders will push it up the hills knowing that it is followed by a potentially dangerous descent and then push on 13 km alone to the finish line.

Tactics today will be interesting, especially starting at the 145km mark.

Well, rest day over... those legs will have been happy for the rest day too with FIVE climbs on offer today including what will be an absolutely harrowing descent to the finish.

Start with a relatively light cat 4 climb followed by a points checkpoint for the green jersey. After the sprint points comes a 20 km-long climb up a 1118 meter climb - category one which finishes at the 46 km mark, then a near-600 meter descent leading to a cat 2 climb to the 71 km mark. The another cat one climb (677 meter-climb over 15 km) before a steep descent into Albertville and a points check at 135.5km. Then, an HC climb which comes in two parts but totals 1626m of climb over 27.5km. This is followed by a hallowing, winding descent (this is the type of descent that has resulted in deaths in past TdF races) -- 1475m descent over 18.5 km. The finish will be a 13.5 km flat and potentially furious sprint.

I don't know how Cadel Evans will be able to retain the Maillot Jeune today. He didn't seem to have the ability to respond to the attacks on Sunday and only just hung on. Same can be said for Contador. Schleck looked the strongest of all contenders. I have to wonder though if any of the main contenders will push it up the hills knowing that it is followed by a potentially dangerous descent and then push on 13 km alone to the finish line.

Tactics today will be interesting, especially starting at the 145km mark.

This will be an interesting stage. I think pacing will be extremely important. Sometimes a rider can have a great stage, but then will turn around and be very fatigued the next. I don't think we've seen the best of Contador yet and Evans is capable of doing well although not as good in the mountains as Contador or Schleck. Again, teams could play a role. Saxo and Astana has looked good. BMC not so much. Also there is skill in descending. You'd think everybody would be relatively even, but not so. Its a skill in itself and this course favors the rider who is both good climber AND a good descender.

Today and tomorrow are supposed to be difficult mountain stages, then Thursday, a nice flat break with sprinter back in the spotlight.

This will be an interesting stage. I think pacing will be extremely important. Sometimes a rider can have a great stage, but then will turn around and be very fatigued the next. I don't think we've seen the best of Contador yet and Evans is capable of doing well although not as good in the mountains as Contador or Schleck. Again, teams could play a role. Saxo and Astana has looked good. BMC not so much. Also there is skill in descending. You'd think everybody would be relatively even, but not so. Its a skill in itself and this course favors the rider who is both good climber AND a good descender.

Today and tomorrow are supposed to be difficult mountain stages, then Thursday, a nice flat break with sprinter back in the spotlight.

I agree with all of this. It is easy to descend on a straight road, but there is nothing straight about these descents and there is definately skill involved... it is not easy... fortunately, the weather looks perfect, otherwise, it would be extremely treacherous.

As for the sprinters, yes, the sprinters will be back to the fore in a couple of days, but there are no time bonuses for stage wins this year, so while the fight for the green jersey will be on, it won't have a major effect on the GC...

As for the polka dot jersey, Jerome Pineau has won three of the first four climbs winning 41 of a possible 43 points to solidify his control on the jersey for the time being...

Evans has dropped from the group

Contador with a teammate and Schleck are on the attack all on the HC climb...

Whew! Schleck and Contador are dropping a lot of people. This is a tough climb.

Edit: Wow, there's a big water bottle chasing the riders. LOL. :lamo

Last edited:
Did you see the look on Sandy Cesar's face when all out of nowhere Andy Schleck came at him and other others in the lead back in the last km?!?!? that was classic...

I was wondering how fast they were going. Wasn't a straight away either. I would be the guy going off into the woods. :(

I've had some team mates who would go 55 down a mountain and swing wide into the traffic lane coming up the mountain. Luckily, nobody was coming up the other side. The Tour stops all auto traffic except support vehicles for the riders. I have heard these Tour riders come down at speeds up to and over 70. Now, that's flying. The fastest I have gone is 47 on a straight descent, and I wasn't tucked. When I train in the mountains, I won't descend faster than 45 mph, just in case something unforeseen occurs. I want lots of stopping room.

awesome... don't know if they want that fast down this descent or not, but there is nothing like coming down a mountain on a bike...

Long as you stay on the bike when you're coming down.

I've had some team mates who would go 55 down a mountain and swing wide into the traffic lane coming up the mountain. Luckily, nobody was coming up the other side. The Tour stops all auto traffic except support vehicles for the riders. I have heard these Tour riders come down at speeds up to and over 70. Now, that's flying. The fastest I have gone is 47 on a straight descent, and I wasn't tucked. When I train in the mountains, I won't descend faster than 45 mph, just in case something unforeseen occurs. I want lots of stopping room.

I have gone into the 80s (km/hr) coming down mountains here, but that is only on nice wide roads with a car in front with plenty of following distance... Of course, I will do a duathlon next month in which the bike portion has several hills, and I won't have to worry about restraining myself on the straight downhills... . fun fun fun

Back
Top Bottom