• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tour De France 2010

Leipheimer: "Everyone suffered today."

I think that said it all! Damn exciting to watch.

Yeah, that was definately the best stage to watch so far... watching Schleck and Contador put the collective hammer on the rest of the field was amazing. There were two hammers and about 175 nails in the field yesterday...

Was just reading an e-mail about the stage today and found out that Cadel Evans had a fractured elbow from the previous day. No wonder he looked so uncomfortable. He decided to go out anyway today although he couldn't move like he usually could. I felt bad for him before, now I really feel bad. I was so happy to see him get the yellow the day before. He was really tough to make that climb today.

Was just reading an e-mail about the stage today and found out that Cadel Evans had a fractured elbow from the previous day. No wonder he looked so uncomfortable. He decided to go out anyway today although he couldn't move like he usually could. I felt bad for him before, now I really feel bad. I was so happy to see him get the yellow the day before. He was really tough to make that climb today.

Ouch, yeah -- didn't know that last night...

BTW, just took my bike through a stretch of road here near the science museum that approximates the feeling of those cobbles from stage 3. I went over them at 35 kph and my whole body was just rattling, and that was for only about 250 meters.... I can't imagine going over those for kilometers at a time....

I have to say .. I have always had tremendous admiration for those in the peloton. However, after today's ride, my admiration for them is multiplied tenfold. I went on a 127km ride today, but the first 30km were a climb up a mountain then a harrowing descent. The climb itself would either be a steep category one or a short hors categorie climb (about 12km long with 9-11% grade over about 3km; 12-14% grade for about 4 km and 5-7% grade for most of the rest) and then a descent on winding roads along the side of a mountain with slopes as steep as 15% grade. This was far and away the hardest climb I ever attempted and the descent was almost as difficult. After this, I can't believe that these guys can do this multiple times in a single stage day after day in the mountain sections of the race. Truly amazing what these men do...

I have to say .. I have always had tremendous admiration for those in the peloton. However, after today's ride, my admiration for them is multiplied tenfold. I went on a 127km ride today, but the first 30km were a climb up a mountain then a harrowing descent. The climb itself would either be a steep category one or a short hors categorie climb (about 12km long with 9-11% grade over about 3km; 12-14% grade for about 4 km and 5-7% grade for most of the rest) and then a descent on winding roads along the side of a mountain with slopes as steep as 15% grade. This was far and away the hardest climb I ever attempted and the descent was almost as difficult. After this, I can't believe that these guys can do this multiple times in a single stage day after day in the mountain sections of the race. Truly amazing what these men do...

Are you running with a triple crank and at least a 27 toothed rear cassete? I like to ride my Bike Friday when I do mountains. It's a double-crank, 48-60 and has the largest gear in the rear cassette of 30. Of course, I have 20 inch wheels which give me 32 gear inches of climbing. It has a low center of gravity just like a recumbent and really handles well during descents.

Are you running with a triple crank and at least a 27 toothed rear cassete? I like to ride my Bike Friday when I do mountains. It's a double-crank, 48-60 and has the largest gear in the rear cassette of 30. Of course, I have 20 inch wheels which give me 32 gear inches of climbing. It has a low center of gravity just like a recumbent and really handles well during descents.

You are a real gear head on this stuff, aren't you? And I mean that with great respect. Obviously you are "bicycleman", but do you sell this stuff or what background are you coming from?

I ran for thirty years (mostly for myself, I'm not all that athletic and I'm a big guy, but I did do 15 full marathons best=3:57, and around 150 road races= best 10k 43:15-all MANY moons ago) biked a little, but decided last year to give up running and concentrate on just biking as its easier on my ankles.

You are a real gear head on this stuff, aren't you? And I mean that with great respect. Obviously you are "bicycleman", but do you sell this stuff or what background are you coming from?

I ran for thirty years (mostly for myself, I'm not all that athletic and I'm a big guy, but I did do 15 full marathons best=3:57, and around 150 road races= best 10k 43:15-all MANY moons ago) biked a little, but decided last year to give up running and concentrate on just biking as its easier on my ankles.

Yeah, I am actually more familiar with the technical terms in Mandarin Chinese than in English because I use Mandarin for this stuff. I asked him to help me with the English terminology...

I am still primarily a runner, but in the summer, it is much easier to get in quality rides than long runs. Besides, I am looking forward to my first triathlon and hope to do an Ironman within a couple of years. I ran a 2:37 full marathon and 1:13 half marathon last season... I ran a 31:20 10km (though I hate that distance.) I move up to the 40+ age group next year, so I don't expect to get any faster... I would love to run a 1:10 half, but if I don't do it soon, it won't be happening...

Yeah, I am actually more familiar with the technical terms in Mandarin Chinese than in English because I use Mandarin for this stuff. I asked him to help me with the English terminology...

I am still primarily a runner, but in the summer, it is much easier to get in quality rides than long runs. Besides, I am looking forward to my first triathlon and hope to do an Ironman within a couple of years. I ran a 2:37 full marathon and 1:13 half marathon last season... I ran a 31:20 10km (though I hate that distance.) I move up to the 40+ age group next year, so I don't expect to get any faster... I would love to run a 1:10 half, but if I don't do it soon, it won't be happening...

Wow, very nice. Those are some great times for your age. Yeah, keep going. I'm going to be 54 in a couple of months--the damnest things seem to go out on you as you get older. But I just enjoy getting out and moving that body even as it slows down. Plus I keep gaining more of a body and I don't think its muscle.

Edit: I got to say that I am learning to love cycling, but I still miss running. Love running in cold weather in the winter and running later in the evening. My problems were undiagnosed sleep apnea, flexibility, chronic kidney stones and in the last few years, achilles tendonitis issues. Plus a fat gut. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Another nice Cavendish win. Not sure what Renshaw was doing, but the announcers said it was legal and part of what goes on in track racing. Farrah wasn't too happy about it in the interview afterwards. Looks like another HTC-Garmin rivalry going. :cool:

Another nice Cavendish win. Not sure what Renshaw was doing, but the announcers said it was legal and part of what goes on in track racing. Farrah wasn't too happy about it in the interview afterwards. Looks like another HTC-Garmin rivalry going. :cool:

Yeah, there was nothing legal about that. First, there was the headbutting. If he stopped at that, he would likely have been fined and relegated to the back of the pack for the stage results, but then he seriously impeded on Tyler Ferrar. That was a second violation on the same sprint. It was likely the second violation that resulted in his explusion from the tour.

Wow, very nice. Those are some great times for your age. Yeah, keep going. I'm going to be 54 in a couple of months--the damnest things seem to go out on you as you get older. But I just enjoy getting out and moving that body even as it slows down. Plus I keep gaining more of a body and I don't think its muscle.

Edit: I got to say that I am learning to love cycling, but I still miss running. Love running in cold weather in the winter and running later in the evening. My problems were undiagnosed sleep apnea, flexibility, chronic kidney stones and in the last few years, achilles tendonitis issues. Plus a fat gut. :mrgreen:

Well, I kind of had a second life in my running career. A series of injuries from my senior year in college really slowed me down. After a series of surguries, I was plagued by minor injuries -- knee sprains and the like. Then, I was able to go four years in a row healthy and got my times down .. down enough to where I was considered a hopeful for the East Asian Games, but I didn't qualify -- though I was able to get my time back below 2:40... A friend of mine is now trying to qualify for the Asian Games and I have been training with him... Good training this summer should lead to a good fall season... won't be able to qualify for the Asian Games (time threshhold is must too fast for me) but I have a BQ in hand and may compete in Boston next spring...

Well, I kind of had a second life in my running career. A series of injuries from my senior year in college really slowed me down. After a series of surguries, I was plagued by minor injuries -- knee sprains and the like. Then, I was able to go four years in a row healthy and got my times down .. down enough to where I was considered a hopeful for the East Asian Games, but I didn't qualify -- though I was able to get my time back below 2:40... A friend of mine is now trying to qualify for the Asian Games and I have been training with him... Good training this summer should lead to a good fall season... won't be able to qualify for the Asian Games (time threshhold is must too fast for me) but I have a BQ in hand and may compete in Boston next spring...

Well for me I played a little baseball in high school. It always seemed like I was overweight. I ballooned up when I started living in the dorms in college. So I went to weight control classes in 1979 and they had us read Kenneth Cooper's book on this concept of "aerobics." I had already started to lose weight when I changed my diet, but it had slowed down. As I started to run, weight really came off. Lost something like 75 pounds and I enjoyed it. My training was influenced by Joe Henderson's books that advocated LSD running (long steady distance). I probably would have benefitted from more speed training. In those days, the belief for the elite was that you needed to train over 100 miles a week (I maxed out at about 80). Those workouts often contained "junk" miles. I think modern training recognizes more efficient training by mixing up at different levels. I have been training primarily using heart rate monitors for the last decade. Now with the bike, I'm also hoping to monitor power outage. I could definitely use more power and strength on the bike!

I think that those were great days for distance running in the US. We had Frank Shorter, Bill Rodgers, Joan Benoit as heroes. I always imaged myself being able to run like them. I've seen them run live at races and it was amazing to see their form. My form, not so hot.

But the years of running and staying active have benefited me. I may be a bit overweight and I've got a pretty big frame, but my blood pressure is usually around 120 over 70 which is good for my age and size. I think the key is to stay active and keep doing the best with what I've got. I keep thinking that as a society are doing better with all the knowledge Cooper provided about aerobic exercise. Then you read that only a small percentage (around 15% or less) exercise on a regular basis in US and you read about the obesity problem. I think I have an addiction to exercise. I couldn't imaging not doing it. Even if I do it much slower than when I was younger, I still gotta do it. Even if its not pretty. :lol:

What a stage last night. Must have been one true sadist who drew the course yesterday. Ride something like 180km and then have a climb that is almost straight up a mountain (or so it seemed). You usually can't see clearly how steep a climb is on TV -- that was not the case last night. That was pure evil to put that at the end of the stage. I have ridden climbs like that -- at the beginning of a ride -- and my legs still felt it two days later. These guys have to go out again and ride in a few hours. Simply amazing.

Contador is more explosive than Schleck -- we saw that last night, but Schleck is stronger over the long haul -- he was able to minimize the losses from Contador's initial explosion.

The Pyranees are going to be interesting...

I had a couple of days where I didn't get to watch much. I didn't see the race on Friday but I did witness yesterdays race where Vinokourov frustrated all the sprinters.

Today's race has a couple of huge climbs. I suspect we are going to see the contenders make their statements today. Contador and Schleck battle today? Its hard to believe that we only have another week to go. I can't see Alberto waiting until the last time trial where everyone believes Schleck is weakest. We'll see. The organizers have made this a really good race this year and not predictable.

I keep forgetting to watch heh.. guess the pull aint there any more.. a decade ago it was another matter.

I had a couple of days where I didn't get to watch much. I didn't see the race on Friday but I did witness yesterdays race where Vinokourov frustrated all the sprinters.

Today's race has a couple of huge climbs. I suspect we are going to see the contenders make their statements today. Contador and Schleck battle today? Its hard to believe that we only have another week to go. I can't see Alberto waiting until the last time trial where everyone believes Schleck is weakest. We'll see. The organizers have made this a really good race this year and not predictable.

A little surprised neither made a move yesterday. Three minor climbs before an H-C- climb near the end followed by a descent... Let's see if there are any fireworks today...

A little surprised neither made a move yesterday. Three minor climbs before an H-C- climb near the end followed by a descent... Let's see if there are any fireworks today...

Funny you should ask that. I kinda thought the same thing. Then I saw this article:

Why Don't They Just Keep Attacking Each Other Until Someone Cracks?
By Chris Carmichael

.....(edited)
People keep asking me why Andy Shleck and Alberto Contador don’t just continue to attack each other until someone cracks. In a way, they are, but it’s happening over a number of days. They can’t keep attacking each other all the up a single climb because they run out of power. A few days ago, after the stage that covered the Col de Madeleine, Schleck told reporters that if he’d attacked one more time he would have dropped himself, meaning he would have cracked and been unable to follow Contador to the summit. As a cyclist, you have to learn where your limits are. For sure, winning the Tour de France means pushing past those limits, but you may only have the power to dig that deep once in the whole race. Over a period of days, the cumulative impact of the attacks Schleck and Contador are throwing at each other will eventually tip the advantage to one rider or the other. And it’s at that instant, the moment when your rival can’t respond to an attack, that you need to pull out that once-in-a-bike-race or even once-in-a-lifetime effort to seize on the opportunity. whole article: Carmichael Training Systems: Bicycling.com

This may be true, but if they stay the status quo, thats supposed to help Contador because he is supposed to be far superior than Schleck at the last time trial next Saturday. I wonder if Andy might be better than they think.

Funny you should ask that. I kinda thought the same thing. Then I saw this article:

This may be true, but if they stay the status quo, thats supposed to help Contador because he is supposed to be far superior than Schleck at the last time trial next Saturday. I wonder if Andy might be better than they think.

Andy needs to make up more time. Contador will almost certainly make up the 31 seconds in the time trial. Schleck is not the time trialist that Alberto is. So, unless Andy Schleck makes up some time in the mountains in the Pyranees, Contator will likely win this Tour. That last climb today is where I expect an attack. Shleck needs to be more careful and be better prepared. I was actually surprised last night when he dropped back to the back of the peloton to get supplies. His domestiques should be doing that. I was even more surprised that Astana didn't take advantage of that, especially considering they were in control of the peloton at the time.

Something should happen today. If not, that tells me Schleck is in trouble and that his chances of winning this tour are diminishing.

Andy needs to make up more time. Contador will almost certainly make up the 31 seconds in the time trial. Schleck is not the time trialist that Alberto is. So, unless Andy Schleck makes up some time in the mountains in the Pyranees, Contator will likely win this Tour. That last climb today is where I expect an attack. Shleck needs to be more careful and be better prepared. I was actually surprised last night when he dropped back to the back of the peloton to get supplies. His domestiques should be doing that. I was even more surprised that Astana didn't take advantage of that, especially considering they were in control of the peloton at the time.

Something should happen today. If not, that tells me Schleck is in trouble and that his chances of winning this tour are diminishing.

I agree. Maybe the problem is that Andy can't beat Alberto. Its almost like Alberto is waiting to unlease that tremendous ability of his. We haven't seen it yet. Its possible that something is wrong with him physically, but I doubt it. But I can't see Alberto waiting until the time trial. This is exciting stuff. I have enjoyed this TdF even though I wish Lance could have gotten one more good tour.

Well, we now know Alberto Contador is unsporting. When your main rival has mechanical problems, you don't launch a counter-attack on him. More on this tomorrow morning... it is late here...

Well, we now know Alberto Contador is unsporting. When your main rival has mechanical problems, you don't launch a counter-attack on him. More on this tomorrow morning... it is late here...

Yea actually watched today.. pissed me off royally.. even the Spanish commentators were pissed at him.

That was just wrong. You can say that maybe he didn't know. That's what the announcers said, but I really don't believe that. Right when all this happened I had to go to a dental appointment so I need to watch the end of the stage. I'd like to hear what Contador said about it.

That was just wrong. You can say that maybe he didn't know. That's what the announcers said, but I really don't believe that. Right when all this happened I had to go to a dental appointment so I need to watch the end of the stage. I'd like to hear what Contador said about it.

He knew about it. Even Vino, one of the fierest riders on the tour and Contador's teammate, knew and let off the gas, as had the other two riders in front of Contador. He clearly knew and he clearly attacked to take advantage of the situation. You could see the effect of the boos on his face as he put on yellow.

I don't wish for ANYONE to get hurt, so I don't agree with those on the message boards who hope he crashes... i certainly don't, but I certainly don't cry any tears for him if he has a puncture and Andy goes on the attack in response...

Back
Top Bottom