• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Queen.

she was always good at playing the part on camera though and lets be honest innocent woman dont sleep with married men.

They sometimes do if they're married to scoundrels. Chuck married her because he had a 'duty' to produce, as someone pointed out, an heir and a spare. Horsefaced Camilla sure as hell wasn't going to give him that. Diana was a girl of limited education and not the greatest intellect in the world, but even she eventually resented the brood mare role.

They sometimes do if they're married to scoundrels. Chuck married her because he had a 'duty' to produce, as someone pointed out, an heir and a spare. Horsefaced Camilla sure as hell wasn't going to give him that. Diana was a girl of limited education and not the greatest intellect in the world, but even she eventually resented the brood mare role.

Why did Di marry him?

I don't get the faux monarch thing - she really doesn't do anything; they just keep her around for tradition's sake.

I think it's a significant waste of their tax money to keep up all the hubub over royalty.

I don't get the faux monarch thing - she really doesn't do anything; they just keep her around for tradition's sake.

I think it's a significant waste of their tax money to keep up all the hubub over royalty.

She is 86 years old, you can't expect her to do too much now!! She apparently costs each UK person 66p per year so that is not a lot.

This queen found out she was going to be queen when she was 12 years old and was well pleased. She was born in that kind of society and has worked extremely hard. She has had a particular interest in the Commonwealth and it would appear a genuine interest.

I do agree though, the idea of someone taking her place in this day and age seems a little bit silly - who are you kidding Charles or William. We know you are nothing special.

Yes, they are born into money and prestige. When I heard about them at about age three I wanted to be a princess too but my Mum told me it was not so good, they didn't have the same freedoms I would have....and that is true too. They have to be a certain kind of person and do particular things which are far less of a choice than most people. Imagine having to give all those dinners to all those dreadful visiting heads of State!!

I was really against the monarchy when I was young but they do do a useful job. The work around the world as ambassadors like no one else could and they keep the papers busy with their indiscretions.

I think every time they change we think again whether we want to keep them and every few weeks or so also but this queen got the job at the time when it still was an accepted institution and has done her best and put a lot into it. We had some programs on her and it is surprising how conscientious she has been

Why did Di marry him?

Because, I assume, she was 19 years old and pretty naive. Not something we can say about Chuck, who knew exactly what he was doing.

BBC News - Queen's 86th birthday marked in Diamond Jubilee year with gun salutes

86th Birthday salute and of course its her 60th year on the throne, I was just curious to DP's opinion on the Queen.

Personally I have a lot of respect for the women she worked in the factories during WW2 and expierenced the blitz, took the throne at a young age and handled the decline of the empire with grace and respect( never voiced her opinion etc). I dont feel like she has ever got in the way politically and has always handled herself very well in the public eye. I'm neither for or against the Royals and could care less for most of them but I have a lot of respect for our Queen and wish some politicans could look at her and take note.

Any of you agree with this or would you be glad to see the beack of her?

Happy 86th Birthday and congratulations on the Diamond Jubilee. Fair effort old girl.

Will be cheering for a good Olympics for you guys. Hope everything goes really well. I see that Olympic Park is going to be renamed after the Olympics to "Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park", to commemorate her Diamond Jubilee.

Then you don't understand the concept of Constitutional Monarchy - there is nothing fake about the system. The Monarch performs a very important function in the Westminster System of Parliamentary Democracy. And that is to deny absolute power to Executive Government. Any Prime Minister who acts unconstitutionally can be dismissed, the Parliament dissolved, and the country sent to the ballot box. There is also the additional bonus of having a Head of State who is apolitical, owes no political or financial favours to any party or commercial lobby, and is not a semi-literate oil baron, who has to be told in which hand to hold his knife and fork.

If that is your opinion, I expect you have not heard of the Crown Estate, or the Civil List.

The former is the notional property of the Monarch, the earnings of which are turned over to the country's coffers, and have been since the time of George III. Great Britain benefits to the tune of roughly 200 million pounds annually from those proceeds.

The latter is the amount paid to the Royal Family to cover the costs of maintaining the Household Guard, the palace staff, and carrying out official functions in respect of foreign dignitaries, etc. This has been set at 7.9 million pounds for at least the past ten years.

Leaving aside all the tourism that the only fully maintained Monarchy in the world attracts, it doesn't take a financial genius to work out that 200 million in and 7.9 million out represents a very good deal indeed. :)

its worth keeping them around just for the tourists they attract

The tax money used on the Queen is easily gotten back via tourism. I mean why on earth go to the UK if it is not to see the Royals.. it aint the weather or the food that is for sure.

Because, I assume, she was 19 years old and pretty naive. Not something we can say about Chuck, who knew exactly what he was doing.

So she was a consenting adult who had presumably been in relationships before and if failing that could seek advice from her own family and friends on relationships and what true love is. I assume the allure of fame and power never crossed her mind.

So she was a consenting adult who had presumably been in relationships before and if failing that could seek advice from her own family and friends on relationships and what true love is. I assume the allure of fame and power never crossed her mind.

she was too young to know if that marriage would be good for her.

I saw her look alike in Canada. She may outlive Charles, you never know, as her mom lived a long time. It's been said William will be the crown heir, although most people have forgiven Charle's Camila affair.

I don't know why I like hearing about the royals, but there's something fascinating about them. Yes, they need to continue, as the UK would not be the "K" without them.

The tax money used on the Queen is easily gotten back via tourism. I mean why on earth go to the UK if it is not to see the Royals.. it aint the weather or the food that is for sure.

I used to go there to learn English. They do speak it better than in most other places. But I never had any interest for their Royals. Lady Di's wedding was broadcasted live during my first trip to England, which was great because all the Brits on the boat were packed inside watching TV, thus we had all the outside decks for ourselves:)

Why did Di marry him?

Why not? I too would have married Prince Charles. If only for that dress.

Princess_Diana_wedding_dress.png

I used to go there to learn English. They do speak it better than in most other places. But I never had any interest for their Royals. Lady Di's wedding was broadcasted live during my first trip to England, which was great because all the Brits on the boat were packed inside watching TV, thus we had all the outside decks for ourselves:)

Were they commuters from their holiday homes in Provence, or booze cruisers popping across for some cheap wine and straight back again?

BBC News - Queen's 86th birthday marked in Diamond Jubilee year with gun salutes

86th Birthday salute and of course its her 60th year on the throne, I was just curious to DP's opinion on the Queen.

Personally I have a lot of respect for the women she worked in the factories during WW2 and expierenced the blitz, took the throne at a young age and handled the decline of the empire with grace and respect( never voiced her opinion etc). I dont feel like she has ever got in the way politically and has always handled herself very well in the public eye. I'm neither for or against the Royals and could care less for most of them but I have a lot of respect for our Queen and wish some politicans could look at her and take note.

Any of you agree with this or would you be glad to see the beack of her?

I respect her too; she's done an honorable job. She understands duty, and I admire her.

Not so much the Prince of Wales. He's a weakling like his uncle, IMO. The tampon fantasy says it all. I mean, really.

I saw her look alike in Canada. She may outlive Charles, you never know, as her mom lived a long time. It's been said William will be the crown heir, although most people have forgiven Charle's Camila affair.

I don't know why I like hearing about the royals, but there's something fascinating about them. Yes, they need to continue, as the UK would not be the "K" without them.

I think you will find that, unless Charles abdicates (which is not overly likely), the Laws of Succession do not allow a generation to be skipped. William will have his turn in due course, in the fullness of time, and at the appropriate juncture (as Sir Humphrey of Yes Minister fame, might say). :)

So she was a consenting adult who had presumably been in relationships before and if failing that could seek advice from her own family and friends on relationships and what true love is.

Wiggen was right regarding her niavete, we aren't talking about some streetwise woman with a long sexual history behind her.

I assume the allure of fame and power never crossed her mind.

That may be so however it's what she did with that fame and power that brought credit to her. She recognised the interest magazines and newspapers around the world had in her and she used that in her charity work. That's also where William and Harry take after their mother rather than father(s?).

Simply look at the alternatives brought into the family - Sarah Ferguson, Captain Mark Phillips etc etc

-- see a modern, bright future ahead with Prince William and his side kick Harry:). I greatly admire Harry's keenness to play his part in the Afghanistan conflict, and his insistence on leaving the Army, if he was denied every soldiers duty.

Paul

The work these two have done on behalf of wounded soldiers is brilliant. What would be the alternative in another country with no such figureheads -the president's sons? Some fly-by-night celebrity's own children marching off to the North Pole with a group of wounded soldiers?

Were they commuters from their holiday homes in Provence, or booze cruisers popping across for some cheap wine and straight back again?

I was 8. All I remember is that we were the riffraffs:)

I agree its a show thing...and all their charity work is done with british taxpayer cash....but in the end doesnt matter what we think...if the brits are happy thats all that counts...
Kings and Queens are imbedded in Britains history and I like the Queen...shes been around forever it seems... the Charles Dianha thing who knows what happens behind closed doors....they are no different than any other couple in private...its just that they are born with cameras in their arse that records all their bowel movements....we dont know what really happened between them.

I come from Australia, and I am a royalist after many years of being a republican in my younger days. I think Her Majesty is utterly magnificent. She is a model for not only all members of the Royal Family, but all of us as well. Long live Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, and all members of the Royal Family.

I agree its a show thing...and all their charity work is done with british taxpayer cash....but in the end doesnt matter what we think...if the brits are happy thats all that counts...
Kings and Queens are imbedded in Britains history and I like the Queen...shes been around forever it seems... the Charles Dianha thing who knows what happens behind closed doors....they are no different than any other couple in private...its just that they are born with cameras in their arse that records all their bowel movements....we dont know what really happened between them.

The love of the royals decreased dramatically the further North in the country you go. And it also decreases dramatically once you get past the Queen and William - who thankfully got the personality traits of his mother rather than dear old deadly dull dad.

Why not? I too would have married Prince Charles. If only for that dress.

Princess_Diana_wedding_dress.png

That's hideously ugly - just putrid.

I hate the whole white-purified-wedding-dress-and-flowers thing that people cleave to.

Back
Top Bottom