• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The GOP will be sorry if it tries to tie defunding Obamacare to Debt limit hike

Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Act of 1988

Soon to be followed by the Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Repeal Act of 1989

I didn't say changed I said repealed we still have Medicare don't we

I didn't say changed I said repealed we still have Medicare don't we

He doesn't have an argument anyway. It was an expansion on an existing social program.

Right now the USA is looking at a federal government shutdown if a hike in the Debt limit isn't passed soon.

Some people in the GOP want to try to tie defunding Obamacare to an increase in the debt ceiling. That is not going to happen.

The GOP will lose this battle. Don't take my word for it, Wait and see.

Read about it here : http://news.yahoo.com/wild-week-ahead-senate-confronts shutdown-deadline-050639978.html

Raising the debt ceiling is not about spending more money, it's about paying bills that the U.S. congress, including the GOP, agreed to already.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

We shall see. The majority of the country wants to get rid of ObamaCare, could it be this will actually blow up in the Dems faces?

If Republicans think the policy is such a disaster I'm not sure why they don't just let it get implemented.
Any supposed problems due to the implementation of Obamacare pales next to the debt ceiling not getting raised.

If Republicans think the policy is such a disaster I'm not sure why they don't just let it get implemented.
Any supposed problems due to the implementation of Obamacare pales next to the debt ceiling not getting raised.

Why don't guys listen to your Obama instead of just worshiping him? What did he say about how people respond to government benefits? The repeal of a social program needs to happen before it's implemented due to the selfishness of people and the dependency that is created from social programs.

Last edited:
Why don't guys listen to your Obama instead of just worshiping him? What did he say about how people respond to government benefits? The repeal of a social program needs to happen before it's implemented due to the selfishness of people.

Or...it could be that it's tougher to use misinformation and scare tactics

a government shut down will only effect a handful national parks will be closed the white house lawn wont get mowed. Medicare /Medicaid will still happen SS will still happen Military pay will still happen our debts will get paid all of those are mandatory spending. the sun will come up and the birds will continue to sing

how is it republicans can get close to 60% of the public to hate Obama care but could only get 48% to vote for Romney explain that please

Nope. Just look at the AARP and my point is driven home. People want the benefits the programs give them and it's why these programs get popular once the benefits start rolling out. Obama even said as much a few times.

Right now the USA is looking at a federal government shutdown if a hike in the Debt limit isn't passed soon.

Some people in the GOP want to try to tie defunding Obamacare to an increase in the debt ceiling. That is not going to happen.

Read about it here : http://news.yahoo.com/wild-week-ahead-senate-confronts shutdown-deadline-050639978.html

Raising the debt ceiling is not about spending more money, it's about paying bills that the U.S. congress, including the GOP, agreed to already.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

I can remember when government shut downs where the norm. Jimmy Carter did it 4 times and I forget how many government shut downs happened under Reagan. Life goes on with minor exceptions like national parks and white house tours. But these were budget battles. They are in reality no big thing.

a government shut down will only effect a handful national parks will be closed the white house lawn wont get mowed. Medicare /Medicaid will still happen SS will still happen Military pay will still happen our debts will get paid all of those are mandatory spending. the sun will come up and the birds will continue to sing

This thread is about the debt limit.

Nope. Just look at the AARP and my point is driven home. People want the benefits the programs give them and it's why these programs get popular once the benefits start rolling out. Obama even said as much a few times.

Wait...so supposedly premiums will increase, people will lose their jobs, and our economy will come to a screeching halt but people will overlook that because if they are poor they can get a subsidy to help pay for insurance they are forced to get?

Anyone who's an American and is young enough to have the majority of their lifetime ahead of them should be concerned about the debt ceiling and debt and deficits in general. It is your future that these fools in Washington are frittering away. You should be demanding that people in power now pay their own way and stop saddling future generations with their excesses. If your parents left you with decades worth of debt to pay off when they died, you'd be angry - why aren't you angry about your government doing the same thing? It's disgraceful.

Wait...so supposedly premiums will increase, people will lose their jobs, and our economy will come to a screeching halt but people will overlook that because if they are poor they can get a subsidy to help pay for insurance they are forced to get?

Do you honestly think people will connect the dots? They haven't connected the dots between Medicare, government imposed employer healthcare insurance coverage, mandating ERs to treat people and a long list of government actions on the healthcare industry with increased healthcare costs, so I highly doubt they will do so here either.

Because most people have no idea what Obamacare is about outside of conservative paid for commercials.

You guys need to walk away from the democrat rhetoric for five minutes, jesus..

Do you honestly think people will connect the dots? They haven't connected the dots between Medicare, government imposed employer healthcare insurance coverage, mandating ERs to treat people and a long list of government actions on the healthcare industry with increased healthcare costs, so I highly doubt they will do so here either.

The conservative message is the obamacare will not benefit the vast majority of Americans but will adversely impact them. That's not really comparative to something like Medicare which is insanely popular and benefits basically everyone.

You guys need to walk away from the democrat rhetoric for five minutes, jesus..

In the majority of polls they ask people if they know anything about Obamacare and they state "no".

I'm curious how people that self identify themselves not knowing about obamacare have a negative opinion of it?

The conservative message is the obamacare will not benefit the vast majority of Americans but will adversely impact them. That's not really comparative to something like Medicare which is insanely popular and benefits basically everyone.

Even if Obamacare fails the majority of people will never associate the problems they are experiencing with it. They will simply start advocating more government to fix their problems and like the good little perdictable douchebags they are democrats will offer up UHC.

For someone who belongs to neither major party and still considers himself a member of the Reform Party, raising the debt limit is all about who the president is, which party he belongs to whether member of either major party are for or against raising the debt ceiling. There is no value or corp belief in either party about the debt ceiling.

When Bush II was president, here are the votes for raising the debt ceiling in the senate.
2003 3 Dem for 50 Rep for
2004 2 Dem for 50 Rep for
2006 0 Dem for 52 Rep for

So during Bush II the democrats were very much against raising the debt ceiling, so Obama becomes president and here is what happened.

2009 59 Dem for 1 Rep for
2010 60 Dem for 0 Rep for
2012 52 Dem for 1 Rep for

So since a Democrat occupies the white house, the Republicans are now against raising it and the Democrats all for raising the debt ceiling. A big switcher roo from the Bush II presidency. No corps values for either party, it all depends which party hold the presidency whether they are for or against raising the debt ceiling.

the non working poor will vote democrat no matter what they are not going to bite the hand that feeds them. the vote the demarcates will lose is the working poor and middle class when they get put on part time and get the letter in the mail saying their insurance is canceled you need to go to the exchanges for rationed care

We don't have the program that was started under the Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Act of 1988, do we?

Expanding on an existing social program is not creating a new social program. You don't seem to be grasping that the bill you brought up was just an expansion.

Even if Obamacare fails the majority of people will never associate the problems they are experiencing with it. They will simply start advocating more government to fix their problems and like the good little perdictable douchebags they are democrats will offer up UHC.

I think you missed the memo where our current healthcare system if massively unexpensive and ineffective. That's why people would go with UHC...because our current system is unsustainable.

I think you missed the memo where our current healthcare system if massively unexpensive and ineffective. That's why people would go with UHC...because our current system is unsustainable.

Not at all. As I said, the people have yet to pick up on why healthcare is so expensive in this country nor have they really figured out why it has all happened. They just want the government to fix all their problems and will keep going back to the government until the democrats get exactly what they have been after since FDR. Everyone that has been paying attention knows what has went down since the second bill of rights and knows exactly why healthcare is so expensive, but luckily for you ignorance and selfishness always rains supreme.

Back
Top Bottom