• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tennessee grocery store attack: ‘He kept on shooting’

Instead of 'or,' it should be 'and.' Why do people insist on an all or nothing approach when it is a complicated matter requiring a number of actions, not just one or the other.

If you reduce the number of people who have an internal belief that they have the absolute right to go out and kill people simply because they "have issues" that is much more likely to reduce the number of homicides committed because the arrogant, stupid, pathetic, loser "has issues" than you are going to reduce them by making guns less available to anyone without reducing the number of people who are inclined to commit murders because they are arrogant, stupid, pathetic, losers who "have issues".

As an (extremely generalized) example,

[1] if you have 10 arrogant, stupid, pathetic, losers who have an internal belief that they have the absolute right to go out and kill people because they "have issues" and those ASPLs have multiple means of committing those murders, then reducing ONE of the means available means that you still have 10 ASPLs who are going to commit murders (in short, a reduction of 0.00%);​
but​
[2] if you have 10 arrogant, stupid, pathetic, losers who have an internal belief that they have the absolute right to go out and kill people because they "have issues" and those ASPLs have multiple means of committing those murders, then reducing ONE of those ASPLs means that you have only 9 ASPLs who are going to commit murders (in short, a reduction of 10.00%).​

you got me

it was a reach to assume someone who shot up a store of innocents had some kind of mental issue going on

after all, he had an unimpeded right to bear that arm

Oh I didn't say that he didn't have a "mental issue" - anyone who believes that they have the right to kill others over trivial matters has a "mental issue". In fact, anyone who believes that they have the right to rob others has a "mental issue", as does anyone who believes that they have the right to get drunk and then drive, as does ....

What my point was was that he was (likely) NOT "suffering from a mental disease".

To confuse "mental issues" with "mental diseases" creates more problems than it solves (and will until medical science creates a pill that eliminates the "I can't get laid, so I'll SHOW THEM" drive).

If you reduce the number of people who have an internal belief that they have the absolute right to go out and kill people simply because they "have issues" that is much more likely to reduce the number of homicides committed because the arrogant, stupid, pathetic, loser "has issues" than you are going to reduce them by making guns less available to anyone without reducing the number of people who are inclined to commit murders because they are arrogant, stupid, pathetic, losers who "have issues".

As an (extremely generalized) example,

[1] if you have 10 arrogant, stupid, pathetic, losers who have an internal belief that they have the absolute right to go out and kill people because they "have issues" and those ASPLs have multiple means of committing those murders, then reducing ONE of the means available means that you still have 10 ASPLs who are going to commit murders (in short, a reduction of 0.00%);​
but​
[2] if you have 10 arrogant, stupid, pathetic, losers who have an internal belief that they have the absolute right to go out and kill people because they "have issues" and those ASPLs have multiple means of committing those murders, then reducing ONE of those ASPLs means that you have only 9 ASPLs who are going to commit murders (in short, a reduction of 10.00%).​
Boy, have you ever lost me.
Never mind, though. Whatever you're saying doesn't sound like you mean it seriously, anyway.

Wow!

I was absolutely shocked when I learned who the shooter was!

How very, very, very unusual!

Why should you have license to "exercise your rights" in ways that are potentially lethal to others?
Voting and a right to free speech enable the same thing 'potentially.' The repeal of the 21st Amendment is potentially lethal to others.

🤷

Boy, have you ever lost me.
Never mind, though. Whatever you're saying doesn't sound like you mean it seriously, anyway.

Oh I most certainly do mean it seriously.

The ACTUAL shootings are merely symptoms of an underlying sociopathology and that sociopathology is the belief that there is something intrinsically "right" about taking a gun and killing other people because you "have issues" arising from trivial matters.

Solve that sociopathological problem and you don't have to worry about people gunning down bunches of totally unrelated people because they got fired, and you don't have to worry about people gunning down other people because the other person "looked at them funny" on the freeway, and you don't have to worry about people gunning down other people because the other person took too long to pull away from a stop sign, and you don't have to worry about people gunning down bunches of totally unrelated people because the couldn't get laid.

Some of the roots of that sociopathology are [1] the American idealization of criminals, [2] the American idealization of violence as a preferred method of resolving differences, [3] the American idealization of "guns are manly", and [4] The American idealization of compelling others to do what you want them to do. There are more, but those will do for starters.

Unfortunately, in order to solve the sociopathology, the people of the US would have to admit that [1] "Criminals are NOT glamourous.", [2] "Violence is NOT the preferred method of resolving differences.", [3] "Guns are merely collections of well machined chunks of metal and are absolutely no substitute for honest self-valuation based on real merit/action.", and "It's OK for other people NOT to do or say exactly the same thing as everyone else - even if what they do or say is the exact opposite of what everyone else is saying or doing PROVIDED that their actions/words do not cause harm to others.".

Quite frankly, I can't see that happening in my lifetime (and I plan on living to the ripe old age of 177).

On the other hand, I can also see how some people can be satisfied to say "The whole problem is GUNS (and I don't have to do or change anything in my personal life or relationships because the whole thing is someone else's fault).". After all, who wants to admit that they ARE a part of the problem?

Oh I most certainly do mean it seriously.

The ACTUAL shootings are merely symptoms of an underlying sociopathology and that sociopathology is the belief that there is something intrinsically "right" about taking a gun and killing other people because you "have issues" arising from trivial matters.

Solve that sociopathological problem and you don't have to worry about people gunning down bunches of totally unrelated people because they got fired, and you don't have to worry about people gunning down other people because the other person "looked at them funny" on the freeway, and you don't have to worry about people gunning down other people because the other person took too long to pull away from a stop sign, and you don't have to worry about people gunning down bunches of totally unrelated people because the couldn't get laid.

Some of the roots of that sociopathology are [1] the American idealization of criminals, [2] the American idealization of violence as a preferred method of resolving differences, [3] the American idealization of "guns are manly", and [4] The American idealization of compelling others to do what you want them to do. There are more, but those will do for starters.

Unfortunately, in order to solve the sociopathology, the people of the US would have to admit that [1] "Criminals are NOT glamourous.", [2] "Violence is NOT the preferred method of resolving differences.", [3] "Guns are merely collections of well machined chunks of metal and are absolutely no substitute for honest self-valuation based on real merit/action.", and "It's OK for other people NOT to do or say exactly the same thing as everyone else - even if what they do or say is the exact opposite of what everyone else is saying or doing PROVIDED that their actions/words do not cause harm to others.".

Quite frankly, I can't see that happening in my lifetime (and I plan on living to the ripe old age of 177).

On the other hand, I can also see how some people can be satisfied to say "The whole problem is GUNS (and I don't have to do or change anything in my personal life or relationships because the whole thing is someone else's fault).". After all, who wants to admit that they ARE a part of the problem?
Thanks for making that easier to understand.

I still say exactly the same thing--we need to do both simultaneously.

Voting and a right to free speech enable the same thing 'potentially.' The repeal of the 21st Amendment is potentially lethal to others.

🤷

Considering that one of the resultants of the 21st Amendment was an increase in the level of lethally violent crime and another was an increase in the number of deaths due to drinking alcoholic beverages that were unfit for human consumption, the PASSAGE of the 21st Amendment was more than "potentially" lethal to others.

As far as "voting and a right to free speech" is concerned, get back to me when the US has NOTHING BUT "free, fair, open, and honest elections" rather than the system of rampant gerrymandering, voter suppression, nominating processes controlled by movers and shakers of whom you never heard, procedural chicanery, deliberate attempts to convince the electorate that the elections are all fraudulent (on the part of "The Other Guys" of course), and "contests" between "The MORE Reactionary Wing of the American Oligarchic Capitalist Party (DBA ‘The Republican Party’)" and "The LESS Reactionary Wing of the American Oligarchic Capitalist Party (DBA ‘The Democratic Party’)" that it currently passes off as "democratic elections".

From Associated Press

A gunman attacked a grocery store in an upscale Tennessee suburb on Thursday afternoon, killing one person and wounding 12 others before the suspect was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound at the store, authorities said.

Collierville Police Chief Dale Lane said the shooting broke out at a Kroger grocery in his suburban community about 30 miles (50 kilometers) east of Memphis. He said the gunman shot 13 others and himself, and that 12 of the victims were taken to hospitals, some with very serious injuries.

One Kroger worker, Brignetta Dickerson, told WREG-TV she was working a cash register when she heard what at first she thought were balloons popping.

“And, here he comes right behind us and started shooting,” Dickerson said. “And, he kept on shooting, shooting, shooting. He shot one of my co-workers in the head and shot one of my customers in the stomach.”

Lane said police received a call about 1:30 p.m. about the shooting and arrived within minutes, finding multiple people with gunshots when they entered the building.

COMMENT:-
I'd be rather interested to find out what "serious issues" this arrogant, stupid, pathetic, piece of garbage, loser had that he felt justified him in killing other people in order to exercise his freedom of expression.​
Wouldn't you?​
Well, at any rate he won't be doing it again.​

The fact that he took his own life strongly suggests to me that he actually didn't feel justified in killing other people...

Personally I favour "Universal", permit less, open carry PROVIDED that the person has established - OBJECTIVELY - that

[1] they can handle firearms safely (read as "know what are dumb things to do with guns and do NOT do them");​
[2] they can handle firearms accurately (read as "can hit what they are aiming at");​
and​
[3] they can handle firearms appropriately (read as "know when to shoot, what to shoot at, and when not to shoot").​

Other than that, I don't see why anyone who wants to walk around with their gun on display should be prohibited from doing so or should require some sort of "special permit" to do so.

I also favour having a judicial process whereby an individual can have their ability to possess firearms restricted or eliminated (permanently or for set periods) after a judicial hearing in which the state proves that the individual is not fit to be allowed unlimited access to firearms BECAUSE OF SPECIFIC ACTS INVOLVING FIREARMS OR VIOLENCE by the individual. That someone who embezzled $20,000 40 years ago should be denied access to firearms strikes me as being either

[1] silly​
[2] vindictive​
[3] totally out of proportion​
or​
[4] a combination of two or more of the above.​

The fact that he took his own life strongly suggests to me that he actually didn't feel justified in killing other people...

Possibly, after the shootings he suddenly realized that he was going to spend a LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG time behind bars with very little chance for nooky.

However, at the time of the shootings he most certainly believed that he had the right to use his Second Amendment rights as a means of exercising his First Amendment rights to express his displeasure at losing his job.

Oh, thanks for making that easy to understand for my daughters ***** and ass(arse?). At least it's not white!

Kroger is going to have to vet their sushi vendors a little bit better…..

Hey, just open carry turned criminal...

"I signed constitutional carry because it shouldn’t be hard for law-abiding Tennesseans to exercise their second amendment rights," Gov. Bill Lee said in April. "Thank you members of the General Assembly and the NRA for helping get this done."

and yet, not a single person could stop him before he shot 12 people and himself.

Sure, because the overwhelming majority of gun owners never do anything resembling this crap.
No, a majority don't...but enough do that we need to start vetting gun owners the way we vet who we give a driver's license to....mental evaluations should be a part of the process of applying for a gun.

No, a majority don't...but enough do that we need to start vetting gun owners the way we vet who we give a driver's license to....mental evaluations should be a part of the process of applying for a gun.
And those mental evaluations should include a maturity test. Who wants people walking around with weapons who refer to other humans as "arrogant, stupid, pathetic, losers?" That's hate speech and the language itself indicates a sociopathy and/or a lack of maturity, imho.
Too many citizens are carrying hate around inside their worlds, why allow them to carry weapons?

Sure, because the overwhelming majority of gun owners never do anything resembling this crap.

No, but the inverse is also true. The people who do this sort of thing are, or have family members who are gun nuts.

That is very consistant.

That and the fact that they are nearly all white.

No, a majority don't...but enough do that we need to start vetting gun owners the way we vet who we give a driver's license to...

And what vetting happens there? Have you seen some of the nut-job drivers on the streets these days? DMV's across the nation are vetting no one...

Last edited:
The people who do this sort of thing are, or have family members who are gun nuts.

That is very consistant.

No, it really isn't.

My daughter was a freshman at Santana High School, in Santee, California, in 2001. One day this other freshamn, Andy Williams, walks into the boys bathroom, pulls out a .22 caliber pistol he stole by breaking into his father's lockbox, and shot and killed 14 year old Bryan Zuckor. I knew Brian, as he and my daughter were friends.

Williams then walked out of the bathroom into the quad, and started randomly shooting at people. One of these people was 17 year old Randy Gordon, who died where he fell. In all, 15 people were shot.

Williams had never fired a gun before, and the gun he used was one of only three that his father owned (one was antique and was never used).

So, yeah, no "gun nuts"...

And what vetting happens there? Have you seen some of the nut-job drivers on the streets these days? DMV's across the nation are vetting no one...
Nut job drivers eventually lose their license for their bad driving habits....I am very concerned about the amount of mass shootings that are going on in this country....something that we don't have a license for.

From Associated Press

A gunman attacked a grocery store in an upscale Tennessee suburb on Thursday afternoon, killing one person and wounding 12 others before the suspect was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound at the store, authorities said.

Collierville Police Chief Dale Lane said the shooting broke out at a Kroger grocery in his suburban community about 30 miles (50 kilometers) east of Memphis. He said the gunman shot 13 others and himself, and that 12 of the victims were taken to hospitals, some with very serious injuries.

One Kroger worker, Brignetta Dickerson, told WREG-TV she was working a cash register when she heard what at first she thought were balloons popping.

“And, here he comes right behind us and started shooting,” Dickerson said. “And, he kept on shooting, shooting, shooting. He shot one of my co-workers in the head and shot one of my customers in the stomach.”

Lane said police received a call about 1:30 p.m. about the shooting and arrived within minutes, finding multiple people with gunshots when they entered the building.

COMMENT:-
I'd be rather interested to find out what "serious issues" this arrogant, stupid, pathetic, piece of garbage, loser had that he felt justified him in killing other people in order to exercise his freedom of expression.​
Wouldn't you?​
Well, at any rate he won't be doing it again.​
Gun rights! **** ya!!!

Considering that one of the resultants of the 21st Amendment was an increase in the level of lethally violent crime and another was an increase in the number of deaths due to drinking alcoholic beverages that were unfit for human consumption, the PASSAGE of the 21st Amendment was more than "potentially" lethal to others.

As far as "voting and a right to free speech" is concerned, get back to me when the US has NOTHING BUT "free, fair, open, and honest elections" rather than the system of rampant gerrymandering, voter suppression, nominating processes controlled by movers and shakers of whom you never heard, procedural chicanery, deliberate attempts to convince the electorate that the elections are all fraudulent (on the part of "The Other Guys" of course), and "contests" between "The MORE Reactionary Wing of the American Oligarchic Capitalist Party (DBA ‘The Republican Party’)" and "The LESS Reactionary Wing of the American Oligarchic Capitalist Party (DBA ‘The Democratic Party’)" that it currently passes off as "democratic elections".
Non-responsive screen vomit intended to divert.

My examples were accurate and your response didnt refute them.

Back
Top Bottom