• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tennessee grocery store attack: ‘He kept on shooting’

Nah. No thanks.
I sort of gave up arguing with the willfully ignorant.
Theres really no point to it.

What this situation calls for is some more guns.

Only the "good guys" though of course. :rolleyes:
So your post was bullshit complaining then?

Ok.

I may sound like a broken record as I have posted much the same when the subject has come up before but,

Exactly. Unfortunately, we may never know the real reason.

I may sound like a broken record but I posted much the same on other posts regarding gun violence: Was the shooter taking SSRIs or SNRIs? Or has he taken them in the past? What was his age?

We will eventually know his age and a stated reason for why he went bugfeck and slaughtered people before killing himself. But it is unlikely that we will know his detailed history of mental health and/or (certainly not) his pharmacological history.

I submit that while many of us have been pissed off by work and co-workers and supervisors and work relationships none of us have gone to work and slaughtered other people. The produce manager was schtupping the checkout lady on isle three, who happened to be the shooter's romantic interest is probably never the base reason for a horn dog shooting up a Kroger. However, more often than not that is the kind of reasoning we are left with. It is incomplete and we all know that. Often something similar is all we get from the powers that be.

In addition, and in all honesty, any detailed reason is too complex for a two minute story on a news program. Viewers just won't pay attention if they have to work for it. Sad, but true.

There appears to be a correlation of SSRIs and SNRIs and age and violence that includes suicide and intentional harm of others. But good luck connecting the dots. Big pharma ain't interested in helping.

For those on DP who are willing to read for the purpose of knowledge Dr. David Healy, a psychiatrist and a psychopharmacologist, has produced convincing work that suggests a connection between SSRIs and violence/suicide. Interested people might want to dive into one of his websites that directly addresses the likely connection, SSRI Stories.
Risky, has it occurred to you that the reason there may be a correlation is because they had mental health problems, and it was the mental health problems, not the (apparently ineffective) drugs, that caused the homicidal/suicidal behavior?

Just a thought.

Risky, has it occurred to you that the reason there may be a correlation is because they had mental health problems, and it was the mental health problems, not the (apparently ineffective) drugs, that caused the homicidal/suicidal behavior?

Just a thought.
Yes, and that is likely. But according to Healy AND the fine print of manufacturers of SSRIs and SNRIs both drugs can cause and/or exacerbate violent tendencies.

I went grocery shopping today. I carry a gun concealed, and I felt comfortable with the idea that if trouble jumped off, I would at least stand a fighting chance to save myself, and possibly others in the process.

More guns in the hands of the good people is what we need.

I know some of you liberals around here don't like me none too much, but I would guess that in a mass shooter situation you might end up finding me to be your new best friend.

RIP to the innocent person who died in Tennessee today. I wish he or she had been able to shoot back.

Witnesses reported that they saw a Good Guy With A Gun, and then suddenly it wasnt a Good Guy anymore.

(Thats how these things ALWAYS go down)
The witness was wrong. It was a bad guy with a gun and he went on a murderous
rage.

More guns in the hands of the good people is what we need.

Sounds like a great society.
Tons of FrEeDuMbZ$™.

I can definitely see where sane and reasonable people want to shoot it out with "bad guys" while shopping for groceries. Just makes good sense. Its an optimal situation that is very desirable. (y)

Knowledge of why can lead others to identifying some one off the deep end
But just another day in the US

It's never going to happen. The only thing more irresponsible than our gun laws in America is our complete deficiency in caring for the mentally ill.

Even if we were good at it, it would be a near impossible job to try to spot people before they crack and successfully intervene.

True but with so many guns, a chunk of our population that can't be trusted with guns, has them...often legally. It's a package deal.
so tell us what your solution is to this problem. keep in mind the constitution and the reality that someone who is willing to do this is beyond being deterred by the threat of even a death sentence

Neither does the endless gun control debate, apparently.
well we do see some of the usual suspects gleefully whining about the NRA and gun ownership before they even know where the person got a firearm, whether he could legally own it etc

Sounds like a great society.
Tons of FrEeDuMbZ$™.
Self defense is a natural right in EVERY society, my friend.

I can definitely see where sane and reasonable people want to shoot it out with "bad guys" while shopping for groceries. Just makes good sense. Its an optimal situation that is very desirable. (y)
Logical fail.

Where did I say that having to use a gun in public was the optimal situation? I didn't. It is only more opitmal than being murdered don't you think? Would it be more optimal to be killed by mass shooter in your book? Or wouldn't it be more optimal to defend your life, and possibly others, and the bad guy is the one who dies?

Your problem here is an inability to distinguish between evil and good, because you believe the gun is the evil thing making EVERYONE who uses one evil. That isn't logical. Guns are not evil, people are evil.

so tell us what your solution is to this problem. keep in mind the constitution and the reality that someone who is willing to do this is beyond being deterred by the threat of even a death sentence
Perhaps wearing body armor when I go to Kroger?

Perhaps wearing body armor when I go to Kroger?
go for it. You can get a good vest for about 275 but thats only rated about 357 Mag and lower. You can buy something that will stop 762 NATO-Level IV but its gonna be heavy and much more expensive.

More guns, less gun restrictions so there'll be more guns in more places, and more austerity measures?

what austerity measures?

The ones that conservatives want. Cut the social safety net, cut taxes on the wealthy, and pump up US militarism spending even more. Then everyone will feel like they need guns.

The ones that conservatives want. Cut the social safety net, cut taxes on the wealthy, and pump up US militarism spending even more. Then everyone will feel like they need guns.
what does your hatred of our military have to do with this. since you don't know what caused the guy to start going bezerk your complaints about the safety net and your dislike for the wealthy are misplaced, stupid or premature

what does your hatred of our military have to do with this. since you don't know what caused the guy to start going bezerk your complaints about the safety net and your dislike for the wealthy are misplaced, stupid or premature

I was answering your question, [forum rules inhibit me from saying what should be said to an overly abrasive ...]

I get pissed when I hear people make excuses for these people with the he had "problems", "mental issues" and that type of mess. His issue was he didn't have any regard for other peoples lives.
I know how hard it would be to be a swat officer and go into that building and not shoot a person like this after you see all the wounded.
It's not an excuse that justifies him not facing punitive consequences, but his behavior is something we should study and try to understand. The best way to stop future shootings starts with us figuring out what causes them.

There was a time when something like this would have gotten everyone's horrified attention, but now it's just another day in America.

Imagine, you're in Kroger's picking up some baking chocolate and plan to go home and bake a batch of brownies to surprise the fam for dinner. And you're shot in the stomach instead.

Js, this isn't normal.

I was doing some work online and went to access something on YT and Agenda Free TV was on live discussing it. I came here thinking there would be a thread and only thing I found was comment by calamity over in the gun forum. I flipped on the TV and nothing. But you're exactly right. Coverage of this kind of thing has become so common the news gives it a few words and moves on.

And the next time someone kills someone else with an automobile lets take away all the cars.
they won't support that unless they believed a large majority of drivers vote against the politicians they want in office

o_O

I get pissed when I hear people make excuses for these people with the he had "problems", "mental issues" and that type of mess. His issue was he didn't have any regard for other peoples lives.
I know how hard it would be to be a swat officer and go into that building and not shoot a person like this after you see all the wounded.

Yeah, big surprise there, not having any "regard for other peoples lives" isn't a "mental issue" or a "problem" to y'all.

0a613b2ae717900447c66f0cc71a09bd62ebfd48.jpg

And the next time someone kills someone else with an automobile lets take away all the cars.

4f897d195c13ebf28940f1886d2c13029d795c8a.jpg

:unsure:

Guns. Again. Guns.

Once again, our laws and their level of enforcement were inadequate. Once again there are shooting deaths.

Shooting deaths occur on average about once every 30 minutes in the United States of America.

Guns. Again. Guns.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

From Associated Press

A gunman attacked a grocery store in an upscale Tennessee suburb on Thursday afternoon, killing one person and wounding 12 others before the suspect was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound at the store, authorities said.

Collierville Police Chief Dale Lane said the shooting broke out at a Kroger grocery in his suburban community about 30 miles (50 kilometers) east of Memphis. He said the gunman shot 13 others and himself, and that 12 of the victims were taken to hospitals, some with very serious injuries.

One Kroger worker, Brignetta Dickerson, told WREG-TV she was working a cash register when she heard what at first she thought were balloons popping.

“And, here he comes right behind us and started shooting,” Dickerson said. “And, he kept on shooting, shooting, shooting. He shot one of my co-workers in the head and shot one of my customers in the stomach.”

Lane said police received a call about 1:30 p.m. about the shooting and arrived within minutes, finding multiple people with gunshots when they entered the building.

COMMENT:-
I'd be rather interested to find out what "serious issues" this arrogant, stupid, pathetic, piece of garbage, loser had that he felt justified him in killing other people in order to exercise his freedom of expression.​
Wouldn't you?​
Well, at any rate he won't be doing it again.​
And predictably this will encourage certain people to buy even more guns, and the endless cycle of Americans enthusiastically shooting other Americans will continue until someone has the guts to do something, anything, to restrict and regulate gun ownership and how laughably easy it is to get your hands on one. I hate the wretched, pointless things.
In the wake of two horrific massacres (Hungerford and Dunblane), perpetrated by individuals using legally-held firearms, Britain enacted stringent firearm legislation. The result? No more massacres. UK deaths by gun in 2019, 33 (thirty three). USA, 14,141 (fourteen thousand, one hundred forty one).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom