• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Teacher had young girl pose in lingerie, planned to sell her in Morocco, Texas cops say

The US State Dept. estimates that there are [on average] ~50,000 trafficked people in the US on any given day.
That's over 18 million a year. That can't be, unless they are largely the same women.

She quit, and bond is now $250,000.

If prosecutors are right then clearly money is not the object here, because if it were she would find customers closer to home, that do not entail all of the cost of hauling a kid to Morocco.

I dont assume that prosecutors are right.

Two words DUE PROCESS . She no longer has access to small children. I'm sure as soon as she is convicted or pleads guilty she will be terminated. Or as soon as she has gone trough the school's due process procedure she will be terminated.

Every teacher in a public school in Texas is protected by a union. For the most part, they do a pretty good job of advocating for the employees and ensuring due process. That normally includes written documentation of the reason, presenting it to the employee, giving her access to a union representation (and possibly a union lawyer) to discuss options, and advising her of the right to appeal.

With a serious accusation like this (assuming there is merit) none of that is going to keep the teacher from being fired. But, they will go through the process.

The other thing everyone should note is that, at least initially, it's an accusation. The school didn't know what was going on. It could be a rebellious niece who made a false accusation after the woman wouldn't let her go to a party. Better to put her on leave and gather information than make a knee jerk reaction and get it wrong.

Every teacher in a public school in Texas is protected by a union. For the most part, they do a pretty good job of advocating for the employees and ensuring due process. That normally includes written documentation of the reason, presenting it to the employee, giving her access to a union representation (and possibly a union lawyer) to discuss options, and advising her of the right to appeal.

With a serious accusation like this (assuming there is merit) none of that is going to keep the teacher from being fired. But, they will go through the process.

The other thing everyone should note is that, at least initially, it's an accusation. The school didn't know what was going on. It could be a rebellious niece who made a false accusation after the woman wouldn't let her go to a party. Better to put her on leave and gather information than make a knee jerk reaction and get it wrong.

That's exactly why no teacher should ever enter a classroom without union protection. All it takes is one student to make an accusation, and the teacher is in a fight for his reputation, his career, and his liberty. The teacher does not want to rely on a public defender in such a serous situation, and, if he/she can't afford a lawyer, the only options are to mortgage the home and the future to fight it out in court. There doesn't have to be any scintilla of guilt, just an accusation, and kids nowadays know it.

McClennan and Freestone are not side by side. A county wide search for a missing student would’ve proved fruitless if not going multiwide in depth.

McClennan and Freestone are not side by side. A county wide search for a missing student would’ve proved fruitless if not going multiwide in depth.

Yes, the article isn't very clear on the jurisdictions. Maybe the teacher lived in Freestone County? Interestingly, Mexia is in Limestone County.

Yes, the article isn't very clear on the jurisdictions. Maybe the teacher lived in Freestone County? Interestingly, Mexia is in Limestone County.
Maybe the particulars will come out at sentancing...............which is asinine because it doesn’t alert the public as to what to look out for.

She quit, and bond is now $250,000.

If prosecutors are right then clearly money is not the object here, because if it were she would find customers closer to home, that do not entail all of the cost of hauling a kid to Morocco.

I dont assume that prosecutors are right.
I saw her on the news here and she looks pretty disgusting. I suspect she was trying to scam someone in Morocco for money. But right now this is just accusations it will be interesting to see what kind of evidence the investigators have.

Maybe the particulars will come out at sentancing...............which is asinine because it doesn’t alert the public as to what to look out for.

There may be good reasons for withholding details at this point. Protecting the victim is #1 (and was stated in the article). I'm sure they are also investigating to see if there are other victims. Then of course, there may be the opportunity to roll up other offenders. The key thing is that they caught this individual, and she's out of the classroom.

The public has enough information to look out for similar issues. I'm sure we'll find out more as the story evolves.

I saw her on the news here and she looks pretty disgusting. I suspect she was trying to scam someone in Morocco for money. But right now this is just accusations it will be interesting to see what kind of evidence the investigators have.

Whether it is true or not, y guess is the defense will be she was trying to run a scam. That is certainly orders of magnitude better than the alternative.

It reminds me vaguely of a case over a year ago that raised the question, “is it illegal to catfish ISIS”? If an American woman in the US contacts ISIS online and says she will be an ISIS bride in order to get them to send to travel money, and then just keep the money with no intention of following through, did she break the law?

Back
Top Bottom