• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stand your ground: Shoot people without masks?

Since you could face serious harm or death by a person without a mask who may have and transmit the coronavirus, should you be able to use deadly force in self-defense if that person approaches you and refuses to back off?

Admittedly, people who adhere to "liberal" government mask guidelines are less likely to be among the “right to carry” crowd, but that may change.

Since this OP seems focused on concerns over someone wearing a face mask, I ask: are you wearing a mask? If so, what's the problem if the other person is not?

And I am 100% shall issue cc for non-prohibited persons.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Since this OP seems focused on concerns over someone wearing a face mask, I ask: are you wearing a mask? If so, what's the problem if the other person is not?

This right here: :applaud

QUOTE from Lursa...
"This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign." (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

---I love you.
No, not that way, happily married...but I love you, you're one of the smarter people in this forum.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

In reality all he needed to do was magnanimously announce,

"I Donald Trump...your President, have today directed all relevant federal agencies to query all state governments to put in their requests for equipment, supplies and medicine from the national stockpile. In addition I will be using the Defense Production Act to guarantee the supply for the future and I will be requisitioning stocks of all sanitizing chemicals for immediate distribution to all states. No American will have to fear running out of personal sanitary supplies to stay safe during this dangerous pandemic.
There will be no price gouging permitted either."

Regardless of whatever else happened, had he simply SAID that and then BACKED IT UP WITH ACTION, his reelection would be in the bag now and there would be nothing ANY Democrat could do to stop it.

if you wear a mask it won't protect you unless it is NIOSH certified like an N95

Some legalese. Generally, in order to use deadly force against someone, the shooter has to believe that a failure to shoot will lead to the targeted individual causing the shooter, or some other innocent, severe bodily harm or death. Thus, someone is running at you with a hatchet, a sword a club etc, and they are faster than you are-you can shoot them. However, if you are in a car and they are 50 yards away or you are by your front door and have plenty of time to retreat behind the door, then GENERALLY you cannot shoot them. A 6-5 25 year old male threatening to beat a 60 year old 5-1 woman might well justify that woman using deadly force against the threat-a 75 year old 110 pound woman threatening to beat the snot out of a pro football player or MMA fighter is not going to justify the athlete hosing the old woman down with a shotgun.

Now we know the corona virus is generally not likely to cause severe bodily harm or death to most people. So if someone claims to have the virus and they try to cough on you, unless you are suffering from lung cancer, severe asthma or other maladies that greatly increase the lethality of being infected by the virus, it will be hard to justify shooting such a person. However, deploying pepper spray or a right cross to the person trying to cough on you, might well be justified.

Some legalese. Generally, in order to use deadly force against someone, the shooter has to believe that a failure to shoot will lead to the targeted individual causing the shooter, or some other innocent, severe bodily harm or death. Thus, someone is running at you with a hatchet, a sword a club etc, and they are faster than you are-you can shoot them. However, if you are in a car and they are 50 yards away or you are by your front door and have plenty of time to retreat behind the door, then GENERALLY you cannot shoot them. A 6-5 25 year old male threatening to beat a 60 year old 5-1 woman might well justify that woman using deadly force against the threat-a 75 year old 110 pound woman threatening to beat the snot out of a pro football player or MMA fighter is not going to justify the athlete hosing the old woman down with a shotgun.

Now we know the corona virus is generally not likely to cause severe bodily harm or death to most people. So if someone claims to have the virus and they try to cough on you, unless you are suffering from lung cancer, severe asthma or other maladies that greatly increase the lethality of being infected by the virus, it will be hard to justify shooting such a person. However, deploying pepper spray or a right cross to the person trying to cough on you, might well be justified.

I wouldn't want to touch the SOB. A good kick to the groin would suffice.

if you wear a mask it won't protect you unless it is NIOSH certified like an N95

Actually...
Universal mask use is a good idea even if it is not an N95.
STUDY

The researchers found non-contact transmission of the virus could be reduced by more than 60 percent when the masks were used.

Two thirds of the healthy hamsters were infected within a week if no masks were applied.

The infection rate plunged to just over 15 percent when surgical masks were put on the cage of the infected animals and by about 35 percent when placed on the cage with the healthy hamsters.

Those that did become infected were also found to have less of the virus within their bodies than those infected without a mask.

The idea that it must be universal is incredibly simple: The mask prevents YOUR exhaled air from sailing free form across the space to the person you are near.
YOUR MASK protects them, THEIR MASK protects YOU.

You are correct in that only an N95 mask has the ability to protect you from others who are not wearing a mask.
And that is why universal acceptance of the lesser masks is so important, and that is why it is so baffling how a country like this one has such animosity towards such a simple and caring idea, you protect others while others protect you.

We are no longer a nation of good people, we have become a nation of a few good people, surrounded by a lot of angry selfish bigoted uneducated imbeciles.
And we did this to ourselves over a forty year period.
Forty, because I was already a working adult FIFTY years ago and I remember what it was like before we began to change.

No, I never WANT to "shoot a person who isn't wearing a mask"...it is a terrible decision.
But the mask issue is moot if that person is clearly exhibiting naked aggression, and they appear to be armed.
At that point, no one cares about their mask, they are concerned that an aggressor is targeting them, one that might be armed.

That in and of itself is reason enough, virus or no virus.

The paper surgical masks that are common and available stop the larger droplets that carry viral particles so they also help.

It depends on the mask you wear. If you want to kill someone who isnt completely prepared...prepare yourself completely first. Otherwise it seems hypocritical.

Just IMO

Since you could face serious harm or death by a person without a mask who may have and transmit the coronavirus, should you be able to use deadly force in self-defense if that person approaches you and refuses to back off?

Admittedly, people who adhere to "liberal" government mask guidelines are less likely to be among the “right to carry” crowd, but that may change.

5 or 6% death rate IF you actually come down with the illness is not "serious harm or death".

Why can't people see that? 20 to 1 odds that you will survive an illness. I know plenty of people sick from truly serious diseases that would give anything for those odds.

Mask, all of them, protect against the coronavirus micron. The micron for coronavirus is .0263 and the mask only stop droplets larger than .05. So mask don't work.

I already had a person in Walmart so close behind me when I turned around we would have been face to face except I was about a foot taller. I looked at him and said 6' social distance. By the confused look on his face I don't think he spoke English. My fault for going to Walmart I guess.

Oh if I killed him would this be a hate crime. White male (none Hispanic I had to clarify on the Census) kills white male Hispanic. I don't think so now that I am a registered democrat. One of the perks of switching back to a democrat. I can call people names and it is OK now.

5 or 6% death rate IF you actually come down with the illness is not "serious harm or death".

Why can't people see that? 20 to 1 odds that you will survive an illness. I know plenty of people sick from truly serious diseases that would give anything for those odds.

we still can't afford to play Russian roulette if we must go home to a vulnerable person

Mask, all of them, protect against the coronavirus micron. The micron for coronavirus is .0263 and the mask only stop droplets larger than .05. So mask don't work.

then why do hospitals need them?

Even allowing a distance of six feet may be too close for defensive action as infected blood splatter may get on your face or into your eyes. We need to think of the maskless crazies as fast-moving zombies. Culture predicts reality. All those zombie films and TV shows have prepared us for this moment.

Since there's little or no scientific evidence that wearing a mask significantly protects anyone in public, and a fair bit of evidence to the contrary, a person could not reasonably believe that someone's failure to wear a mask is equal to a serious threat to them.

"Stand your ground" laws have protected people in flimsier cases than that, OP, but I still do not recommend this.

Since there's little or no scientific evidence that wearing a mask significantly protects anyone in public, and a fair bit of evidence to the contrary, a person could not reasonably believe that someone's failure to wear a mask is equal to a serious threat to them.

A person could not reasonably believe that birth control causes an abortion, and yet the Supreme Court held up such a belief as valid.

Back
Top Bottom