• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stand your ground: Shoot people without masks?

RobertU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Since you could face serious harm or death by a person without a mask who may have and transmit the coronavirus, should you be able to use deadly force in self-defense if that person approaches you and refuses to back off?

Admittedly, people who adhere to "liberal" government mask guidelines are less likely to be among the “right to carry” crowd, but that may change.

Can I just tase em bro?

Since you could face serious harm or death by a person without a mask who may have and transmit the coronavirus, should you be able to use deadly force in self-defense if that person approaches you and refuses to back off?

Admittedly, people who adhere to "liberal" government mask guidelines are less likely to be among the “right to carry” crowd, but that may change.

Hmm...I wonder if a lawyer can be found to take that case.

What? I think that it would be stupid to either try to use deadly force against those not wearing a mask (assuming they aren't doing anything to threaten or assault you) or to just not wear a mask.

Wearing a mask isn't tough, it does help reduce the spread of Covid, and its the socially responsible and courteous thing to do. As is not shooting people. Don't ****ing shoot people. So those are the two take aways.

A) Don't shoot people
B) Just wear the mask

Yet another post illustrating why we cannot have nice things.

You are one crazy chicken.

Mask up, don't shoot.

Maybe if you people got out of your silos once in a while you'd realize that tons of Dems own firearms.
As to shooting someone for not wearing a mask, I'd much rather just keep my distance from them instead.
If they get in my face and attempt to intimidate me because I am wearing a mask, you can just forget about masks altogether because the mask changes absolutely NOTHING.

A hostile person who is going to try to get in my face and intimidate me is going to reap the consequences regardless of the fact that there is a pandemic.

What? I think that it would be stupid to either try to use deadly force against those not wearing a mask (assuming they aren't doing anything to threaten or assault you) or to just not wear a mask.

Wearing a mask isn't tough, it does help reduce the spread of Covid, and its the socially responsible and courteous thing to do. As is not shooting people. Don't ****ing shoot people. So those are the two take aways.

A) Don't shoot people
B) Just wear the mask

Sound advice. My mantra for the day as I go to the grocery store.

[/B]

Sound advice. My mantra for the day as I go to the grocery store.

I mean, if you accomplish your errands while maintaining those two things, you're ahead of the curve.

Stand your ground doesn’t apply to that scenario. But if the other person is deliberately coughing in your face...maybe.

Don't be an ass.

Maybe if you people got out of your silos once in a while you'd realize that tons of Dems own firearms.
As to shooting someone for not wearing a mask, I'd much rather just keep my distance from them instead.
If they get in my face and attempt to intimidate me because I am wearing a mask, you can just forget about masks altogether because the mask changes absolutely NOTHING.

A hostile person who is going to try to get in my face and intimidate me is going to reap the consequences regardless of the fact that there is a pandemic.

As far as I can tell, far more people have been shot and attacked for asking someone to put on a mask than for simply wearing one. I'm sure if a mask wearer keeps to themself they'll not be bothered.

i don't support shooting random people, even idiots. if a teabilly hopped up on Tweety / fox inspired rage came at me for wearing a mask and i felt that i was in danger of catching COVID, i'd consider pepper spraying him in his big dumb eyes, though. my wife and i are planning to get a bunch of pepper spray, as we walk dogs a lot more these days. luckily, most rage-drunk teabillies aren't quite as situationally smart as the unleashed dogs that we have to fend off, so theoretically, they should be easier to pepper spray in a situation like that.

Stand your ground doesn’t apply to that scenario. But if the other person is deliberately coughing in your face...maybe.

But that's why the pandemic and the mask issue doesn't change anything.
Even if COVID-19 didn't exist, the act of going up to someone and deliberately trying to force them to share your cooties is simple aggression and borders on assault if they don't cease and retreat when you ask them to.

Since the virus is potentially fatal to some persons and there is no magic wand that predicts who, it has the potential to be considered assault with a deadly weapon, as future court cases may or may not decide. We may very well see a court case where a person was witnessed directly confronting an at risk person and infecting them, and that victim later became deathly ill, and sued the aggressor, and maybe they might win the case.

Shooting people is an extreme response, but it is possible to construct a scenario where the force used in response matches the force of the aggressor. If the aggressor is armed, anything to do with COVID-19 is automatically moot because the person is getting into your space with a firearm in an aggressive manner.
And not only "Stand Your Ground" but ordinary simple right to self defense is valid in a situation like that.

i don't support shooting random people, even idiots. if a teabilly hopped up on Tweety / fox inspired rage came at me for wearing a mask and i felt that i was in danger of catching COVID, i'd consider pepper spraying him in his big dumb eyes, though. my wife and i are planning to get a bunch of pepper spray, as we walk dogs a lot more these days. luckily, most rage-drunk teabillies aren't quite as situationally smart as the unleashed dogs that we have to fend off, so theoretically, they should be easier to pepper spray in a situation like that.

Funny. I carry a gun on my walks because I've been attacked by far more dogs in my life than people of any stripe.

I agree, unless said "teabilly hopped up on Tweety / fox inspired rage [coming] at me for wearing a mask" is armed.

armed covid protest-1210050182.jpg

Let's put it this way:
If one of the folks in the above picture approached Governor Whitmer while armed, and was attempting to get in her face and spray spittle flecked invective while strapped, does Whitmer have the right to order her security to shoot them?

Funny. I carry a gun on my walks because I've been attacked by far more dogs in my life than people of any stripe.

i'm thinking about it. i got attacked by humans a number of times walking to school as a kid, but yeah, it's usually dogs. i've only had to pepper spray one so far, and i didn't even get him before he backed off. I'm really tired of irresponsible dog owners.

Even if COVID-19 didn't exist, the act of going up to someone and deliberately trying to force them to share your cooties is simple aggression and borders on assault if they don't cease and retreat when you ask them to.

Since the virus is potentially fatal to some persons and there is no magic wand that predicts who, it has the potential to be considered assault with a deadly weapon, as future court cases may or may not decide. We may very well see a court case where a person was witnessed directly confronting an at risk person and infecting them, and that victim later became deathly ill, and sued the aggressor, and maybe they might win the case.

Shooting people is an extreme response, but it is possible to construct a scenario where the force used in response matches the force of the aggressor. If the aggressor is armed, anything to do with COVID-19 is automatically moot because the person is getting into your space with a firearm in an aggressive manner.
And not only "Stand Your Ground" but ordinary simple right to self defense is valid in a situation like that.

Does the term "stand your ground" always imply use of a weapon? Would just shoving someone away, maybe putting them on the ground, still get you the benefit of the "stand your ground" principle?
I don't know enough about it maybe. In the McMichael/Arbery threads I thought Arbery was standing his ground when he went after the shotgun instead of complying.

It will require much more context before a "stand your ground" resolution takes place. If the victim feels they are in imminent danger .. then by all means, stand your ground is a reasonable response to such threat. If the victim is taking action solely on the absence of a mask .. it probably won't justify the use of force in court. There are many variables in place to justify the use of force, and the context of the situation will determine the outcome.

I agree, unless said "teabilly hopped up on Tweety / fox inspired rage [coming] at me for wearing a mask" is armed.

View attachment 67280905

Let's put it this way:
If one of the folks in the above picture approached Governor Whitmer while armed, and was attempting to get in her face and spray spittle flecked invective while strapped, does Whitmer have the right to order her security to shoot them?

the ones who violated social distancing to scream at the cops and put them at risk should have been arrested. after the arrest, the arsenals of those individuals should have been seized. i don't oppose responsible gun ownership, but that isn't responsible gun ownership. that's Fisher Price My First Insurrection.

There have been several cases of people deliberately coughing on produce and other people. They have been charged with making terroristic threats for the act. So it seems reasonable to me that a person can shoot another person for trying to infect them with a deadly pathogen and legitimately claim self defense.

the ones who violated social distancing to scream at the cops and put them at risk should have been arrested. after the arrest, the arsenals of those individuals should have been seized. i don't oppose responsible gun ownership, but that isn't responsible gun ownership. that's Fisher Price My First Insurrection.

Those people were screened for Covid symptoms prior to getting that close to those officers. If waving signs and going through a security checkpoint qualifies as insurrection, that word has lost much meaning.

Back
Top Bottom