• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Socialized Democracy Is the Best Economic System There Is Today.

Really? Would you care to name the world's largest economy? Here's a clue: it ain't America.

According to the World Bank, the IMF, and the CIA World Factbook, the world's largest economy is the European Union. If you'll actually show enough intestinal fortitude to check your assumptions against the hard, cold numbers, you'll also find that several of the nations of the EU also have the world's highest standards of living, the lowest rates of poverty, and most of their populations have higher life expectancies than we do in America.

So...they have the largest economy, the highest standards of living, lowest rates of poverty, and longer life expectancies.

So would you care to show me how they're somehow 'not on top'?

The EU is a collection of many differing economies with the only commonality being the currency. There is no comprehensive or cooperative fiscal policy...

We are not on top-- corporations are. Socialized democracies are the end result of letting big business/special interest control your fate and the fate of the country.

Actually, no. While it is true that corporations have way too much power in America, you should not make the mistake of assuming the same is true of all other socialized democracies. The only protection that the people have against the vagaries of Big Business is a government strong enough to stand up to Big Business. Governments that are weak can't stand up to them at all...which is precisely what you'd find in those third-world nations that have weak governments: the corporations own the government to a far greater degree than they do our own.

I'll be the first to agree with you that corporations have too much power...but having a weaker government is no solution at all. It takes a stronger government.

Only with careful moderation does this system work. If it is taken to the extreme as in Detriot or Greece then problems occur. Just as herd animals learn that the herd can grow if they migrate to keep a solid food supply, by not over grazing, and allow the slow (very old, very young or sick) members to be culled by predators then the whole herd prospers. If they waited for the weakest to keep up, the whole herd suffers.

Keeping competiton up, and thus making progress for all, is more important than to keep the weakest members of society from falling on hard times. Trying to divide the existing pies into ever more fair slices must not allow the production of ever more pies from remaining the ultimate goal.

Okay...so why haven't the nations whose economies are largely libertarian ever escaped third-world status even after many decades?

The EU is a collection of many differing economies with the only commonality being the currency. There is no comprehensive or cooperative fiscal policy...

Yes, because sharing a central bank and monetary policy, setting standards each nation has to conform to, and bailing each other out is in no way comprehensive or cooperative :lamo

Yes, because sharing a central bank and monetary policy, setting standards each nation has to conform to, and bailing each other out is in no way comprehensive or cooperative :lamo

Posts with this much ignorance is why you deserve so few responses...

Actually, no. While it is true that corporations have way too much power in America, you should not make the mistake of assuming the same is true of all other socialized democracies. The only protection that the people have against the vagaries of Big Business is a government strong enough to stand up to Big Business. Governments that are weak can't stand up to them at all...which is precisely what you'd find in those third-world nations that have weak governments: the corporations own the government to a far greater degree than they do our own.

I'll be the first to agree with you that corporations have too much power...but having a weaker government is no solution at all. It takes a stronger government.

Cuba has a strong gov't.

Really? Would you care to name the world's largest economy? Here's a clue: it ain't America.

According to the World Bank, the IMF, and the CIA World Factbook, the world's largest economy is the European Union. If you'll actually show enough intestinal fortitude to check your assumptions against the hard, cold numbers, you'll also find that several of the nations of the EU also have the world's highest standards of living, the lowest rates of poverty, and most of their populations have higher life expectancies than we do in America.

So...they have the largest economy, the highest standards of living, lowest rates of poverty, and longer life expectancies.

The "European Union" is not a nation. :roll:

It is a loose coalition of (constantly bickering) separate nations lacking anything even remotely resembling a common purpose or cultural identity. As a matter of fact, it is only barely managing to keep itself out of dissolution at the moment, largely due to the efforts of nations like Germany.

Frankly, it's kind of a moot point anyway, as the Chinese and Indians are set to surpass even such intrinsically phony constructs as the "EU" in the long run either way regardless. The advantage you claim (if it can really be said to even exist at all) will prove to be only fleeting at best.

Basically the only category in which the European Union can claim to have any slight advantage over the rest of the industrialized world are so called "standards of living." However, even then, that is only true of a handful of nations which happen to be members, not the entirety of the organization.

They also are absolutely no substitute for an economy which can be competitive on the global stage (which Europe lacks, and has lacked for quite some time) or an effective military capable of influencing global affairs (even combined, European militaries tend to be kind of pathetic).

You have presented absolutely nothing here which refutes my original argument. High standards of living are nice to have, but they simply are not the end all and be all of a given society's existence.

The Europeans excel in one area while failing miserably in nearly all others.

Last edited:
Hold on there, comrade.

Take a look at the link below, and tell me why we shouldn't return to our former greatness.

» During The Best Period Of Economic Growth In U.S. History There Was No Income Tax And No Fed Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Ah, yes, you referenced Infowars. Dude, you gotta get your mind outta the echo chamber - Alex Jones is Glenn Beck's strongest competitor for the looney-tunes award.

Have you ever lived in a third-world nation? I mean, really lived there? I have a house in one. In a lot of third-world nations you'll find weak governments, low effective tax rates, and little or no regulation - pretty much what your article describes. In other words, the economic structure of America in that 'golden age' you describe is much like what you'll find in a lot of third-world nations today.

Now your reference claims that our downfall began in 1913 - that's a hundred years ago. A full freaking century, and we're STILL on top, even with all the world-shaking events that happened in that century. Not only that, but the nations with the highest standards of living, the lowest rates of poverty, and the longest life expectancies are (except for a few hideously oil-wealthy OPEC nations) ALL socialized democracies.

And this is where your claims fail: your people have been making the same claims about America's imminent economic downfall ever since FDR passed the New Deal eighty freaking years ago...and it ain't happened. Not only has it not happened, but the first-world socialized democracies have maintained their status...whereas NO low-tax, weak-government, little-or-no-regulation governments have even come close to first-world status.

WHY IS THAT? Your rhetoric sounds SO good, SO sensible to you...but it. does. not. match. the. historical. record.

If you want to go claiming that socialized democracy is SO bad, go ahead - that's your right. But at least have the intestinal fortitude to ask yourself the hard questions - particularly those of why your theories don't match the historical record of the modern world.

The "European Union" is not a nation. :roll:

I didn't say it was - but the EU is an economic union - their economies are inextricably linked, which is why the economists and statisticians consider the EU as a single economy.

It is a loose coalition of (constantly bickering) separate nations lacking anything even remotely resembling a common purpose or cultural identity. As a matter of fact, it is only barely managing to keep itself out of dissolution at the moment, largely due to the efforts of nations like Germany.

Yeah, yeah, they're just about to fall apart, hm? And I can see it already: fifty years from now (when I hopefully turn 100), there'll still be conservatives who are Absolutely Sure that the EU is about to disintegrate, that we're all going to go down to economic ruin because of those oh-so-terrible social safety nets and regulations and high taxes...and they'll never, ever ask themselves why it is that the EU has lasted that long with those same problems - that's a question they dare not ask, for to do so would force themselves to question their own dogma.

Frankly, it's kind of a moot point, as the Chinese and Indians are set to surpass even such intrinsically phony constructs as the "EU" in the long run anyway. The advantage you claim will prove to be only fleeting at best.

Hm - according to the numbers from the same reference, China's economy is about half that of the EU's, and India's is about one-eighth that of the EU's. Yeah, look how incredibly weak the EU is, huh?

Basically the only category in which the European Union can claim to have any slight advantage over the rest of the industrialized world are so called "standards of living." However, even then, that is only true of a handful of nations which happen to be members, not the entirety of the organization.

Really? How about this: show me one - even ONE - EU nation that has a standard of living that is anywhere as low as that of China, or especially India. I mean, dude - you GOTTA get your head out of the echo chamber and look at the real, honest-to-goodness statistics sometimes, and not just those that are spoon-fed to you by your right-wing pundit du jour.

They also are absolutely no substitute for an economy which can be competitive on the global stage (which Europe lacks, and has lacked for quite some time) or an effective military capable of influencing global affairs (even combined, European militaries tend to be kind of pathetic).

Hm. They've the largest economy in the world, but - according to you - they aren't competitive on the global stage. Ever heard of Airbus? Or Mercedes or Porsche or BMW or VW or - in the case of Chrysler - Fiat? Have you heard of the LIBOR? I mean, until the recent LIBOR scandal, London in some ways had greater influence on the world's economy than did NYC. And then there's this little company called BP...which used to stand for "British Petroleum" - you may have heard of that one, too.

But I get it - since they're Europe and you're conservative, they're all just a bunch of losers who can't ever do anything right. You know this because Rush (or some other similar pundit) told you so.

You have presented absolutely nothing here which refutes my original argument. High standards of living are nice to have, but they simply are not the end all and be all of a given society's existence.

You didn't present an argument - you presented a claim, which claim went something about how great a failure Europe is at everything they do, or something like that. I didn't pay too much attention - I was listening to something more important, like the grass growing outside my window. Anyway, when I presented to you hard, cold numbers, you promptly flopped around on the floor for a while, and couldn't bring any numbers of your own to disprove anything I said...so you just decided to ignore everything I said to begin with. The more things change....

The Europeans excel in one area while failing miserably in nearly all others.

One must ask exactly what you think they're failing at? I mean, what's a nation for if it isn't to enable its people to enjoy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? And last I checked, those three are part and parcel of a high standard of living.

But again, I get it - you're conservative, and because you're conservative, that means that it doesn't matter what the hard, cold numbers show, Europe is a terrible, terrible place to live, it's people living under the horrid lash of tyranny, and it's just about to fall apart and become an even greater morass of human suffering. And you know this is so because it's conservative dogma, and nobody dare question Holy Conservative Dogma.

P.S. For a lot of years I was a strong conservative just like you. I really was - it comes with being a white male raised in the MS Delta. But now I know better.

Last edited:
I didn't say it was - but the EU is an economic union - their economies are inextricably linked, which is why the economists and statisticians consider the EU as a single economy.

Which is still absolutely idiotic when consider matters pertaining to nation states.

The EU has no legitimate government of its own. It has no military. It has no real political negotiating power.

It is a largely irrelevant paper tiger; basically nothing more than NAFTA (which, incidentally, is actually larger than the EU by at least a trillion dollars) with a common currency and parliament.

Yeah, yeah, they're just about to fall apart, hm? And I can see it already: fifty years from now (when I hopefully turn 100), there'll still be conservatives who are Absolutely Sure that the EU is about to disintegrate, that we're all going to go down to economic ruin because of those oh-so-terrible social safety nets and regulations and high taxes...and they'll never, ever ask themselves why it is that the EU has lasted that long with those same problems - that's a question they dare not ask, for to do so would force themselves to question their own dogma.

Remind me again, how many member nations has the EU had to bail out since 2008?

9 (Some of them more than once)

How high is its average unemployment rate?

12.2% with 20.9% youth unemployment (vs 8% and 16% in the US respectively)

What is its economic growth rate?

-0.2% in 2012 possibly rebounding to 0.3% in 2013 ( vs 1.7% in the United States )

What about its population growth rate?

0.212% (The US has a rate nearly four times this high)

I'm sorry, but there is simply nothing about the EU's current position which suggests that it can survive as a sustainable entity; let alone a major global power player.

Hm - according to the numbers from the same reference, China's economy is about half that of the EU's, and India's is about one-eighth that of the EU's. Yeah, look how incredibly weak the EU is, huh?

The EU's economy is larger than that of the United States by barely a trillion dollars.

China is expected to surpass the United States within a few decades, with India close on their heels. The EU's economy, by way of contrast, is currently exhibiting negative or next to no growth at all.

Frankly, even during supposed "boom" times, the EU only ever exhibited growth in the 2%-3% range when the US was routinely posting 4% or higher anyway.

You do the math.

Incidentally, the fact that the EU actually has a population almost twice as large as that of the United States, with more or less the same general tech level, and possesses a collective economy worth only roughly a trillion dollars more than the United States in spite of this fact should really speak volumes about just how far behind the curb they really are in terms of overall competitiveness.

By all rights, they should be absolutely running the tables on us.

Really? How about this: show me one - even ONE - EU nation that has a standard of living that is anywhere as low as that of China, or especially India. I mean, dude - you GOTTA get your head out of the echo chamber and look at the real, honest-to-goodness statistics sometimes, and not just those that are spoon-fed to you by your right-wing pundit du jour.

Standards of living simply are not as important as economic growth on any long term basis.

China and India might very well be slightly behind the curb now, but with the growth levels they are currently experiencing, standards of living have absolutely no where to go but up.

The same is not true of the EU. The continent is already basically at its peak in terms of living standards, and economically stagnant. This implies that they are more likely to ultimately find living standards back sliding than moving forward.

Hm. They've the largest economy in the world, but - according to you - they aren't competitive on the global stage. Ever heard of Airbus? Or Mercedes or Porsche or BMW or VW or - in the case of Chrysler - Fiat? Have you heard of the LIBOR? I mean, until the recent LIBOR scandal, London in some ways had greater influence on the world's economy than did NYC. And then there's this little company called BP...which used to stand for "British Petroleum" - you may have heard of that one, too.

A handful of companies largely devoted to niche luxury products or known for unscrupulous monopolistic business practices does not a competitive economy make.

One must ask exactly what you think they're failing at? I mean, what's a nation for if it isn't to enable its people to enjoy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? And last I checked, those three are part and parcel of a high standard of living.

I don't care if a person happens to live in a damn utopia. If that standard of living comes at the cost of basically ceding global hegemony to someone else, the system they live under pretty clearly is not "the best."

Again, as I pointed out in my very first post, Europe as it is today couldn't even exist if it were not the stability and military protection US global hegemony provides. If we should ever falter in this role, the European welfare states you seem to hold in such high regard will inevitably follow.

You're comparing one socialized democracy to another socialized democracy. How about comparing France to any - ANY! - of the nations that are *not* socialized democracies?

Hm?

You can't really be that daft in the head. Social democracy is function of wealth and status, not the other way around. You can't just take Iran and say "oh you're a social democracy" and poof they would be as rich as the U.S. Social programs are paid for by taxes, IE you have to have the economic base first. Every country with a sizeable tax base is socialized to some degree, what we are discussing here is how much. The U.S. is far less socialized than France, yet we are in much better shape now and will be for the foreseeable future. So that dispels your pathetic little myth that somehow the socialization created the wealth. No, the wealth enables the socialization. And if a country's social programs get to the point where they start eroding away the country's tax base, its not going to stay rich for very long.

Well, you should pay more attention to what conservatives say, promote and vote for. The record is clear. Europhobia -- and Francophobia in particular -- is a constant obsession with rightwingers. Don't blame me for what they say.

Oh look, you added phobia at the end of the word. You must be so educated. :roll:

Sounds to me like you left wingers are having a hard time defending the failing policies of countries like France or Greece, so instead you use silly non sequitur arguments to ignore the conversation.

Yeah, hyperinflation is just around the corner. And Sweden will collapse too. The conservatives knownothings have been saying this for 50 years. Still haven't got it right.

What is France's GDP again?

Non sequitur straw man arguments. I've come to expect nothing less from you.

About France's GDP.... its still less than ours and considering they grew a whooping .3% last quarter over the previous year, I don't think that gap is going to be shrinking anytime soon. NEXT LEFT WING MEME!

Pretty well. It's the fifth largest economy on the planet and has 2 months vacation for most workers plus universal health care. Plus French women and better food than the US.

How are Walmart employees doing?

And they are growing .3% yoy. So lets see how long that lasts.
At least Walmart employees have jobs. Unlike 10% of the France working population.

And French women are overrated IMO.

Yea... I've actually visited Paris. I didn't see any to write home about.

German women, however; are absolutely gorgeous. That kind of took me by surprise. :lol:

Russians are none too shabby either.

That's what I've been saying forever. Central and Eastern European women would even make Little Finger go gaga.

Actually, while fiscal policies may often differ, they are still inextricably linked by the value of the Euro. When one nation's economy goes south, instead of devaluing only the currency of that one nation, it affects all the nations that use the Euro...which is why once one nation starts having problems, the rest of the EEC starts giving help or pressure or both to get that nation's economy back on an even keel - it's in their fiduciary best interests to do so. This is why most economists consider the EEC a single economy even though it's obviously comprised of many nations.

Ah, yes, you referenced Infowars. Dude, you gotta get your mind outta the echo chamber - Alex Jones is Glenn Beck's strongest competitor for the looney-tunes award.
Dude, the only one singing looney-tunes is you. Glenn Beck and the others are on your bad side, but that's a good thing. Please understand that this is a good thing. In fact, it's a GREAT thing. ;)

Have you ever lived in a third-world nation? I mean, really lived there? I have a house in one. In a lot of third-world nations you'll find weak governments, low effective tax rates, and little or no regulation - pretty much what your article describes. In other words, the economic structure of America in that 'golden age' you describe is much like what you'll find in a lot of third-world nations today.

Now your reference claims that our downfall began in 1913 - that's a hundred years ago. A full freaking century, and we're STILL on top, even with all the world-shaking events that happened in that century. Not only that, but the nations with the highest standards of living, the lowest rates of poverty, and the longest life expectancies are (except for a few hideously oil-wealthy OPEC nations) ALL socialized democracies.

And this is where your claims fail: your people have been making the same claims about America's imminent economic downfall ever since FDR passed the New Deal eighty freaking years ago...and it ain't happened. Not only has it not happened, but the first-world socialized democracies have maintained their status...whereas NO low-tax, weak-government, little-or-no-regulation governments have even come close to first-world status.

WHY IS THAT? Your rhetoric sounds SO good, SO sensible to you...but it. does. not. match. the. historical. record.

If you want to go claiming that socialized democracy is SO bad, go ahead - that's your right. But at least have the intestinal fortitude to ask yourself the hard questions - particularly those of why your theories don't match the historical record of the modern world.
So you're trying to tell me that had America not turned over the reins to a bunch of scuzzy left swingin' government bureaucrats, that we would have suffered the same fate as the third world? Show me your evidence. Show me how America was on the same trajectory as these other Godforsaken countries.

Last edited:
Which is still absolutely idiotic when consider matters pertaining to nation states.

You can't compare nations to city-states - they're very big apples compared to small oranges.

The EU has no legitimate government of its own. It has no military. It has no real political negotiating power.

Well, you got two of those three statements right. Try again - but this time, please try to use accurate statements instead of off-the-cuff assumptions.

It is a largely irrelevant paper tiger; basically nothing more than NAFTA (which, incidentally, is actually larger than the EU by at least a trillion dollars) with a common currency and parliament.

And what's the big, big difference between the EU and NAFTA? When Mexico's economy goes south and their currency devalues, does it affect the dollar much at all? Of course not. But when Greece's economy went south, the rest of the EU HAD to get involved, because the effects of Greece's economic meltdown affected the value of all their nations - the Euro - as a whole. It's as if we had no choice but to rescue Mexico in order to save the dollar.

Remind me again, how many member nations has the EU had to bail out since 2008?

And there was this little thing called the 'Great Recession'. You may have heard of it. But then, if you're glued to Fox News, that was just another vast liberal conspiracy to destroy America (yawn).

And they had to do so - because they had to save the Euro.

How high is its average unemployment rate?

In a few of the nations, higher than our own, but in most it's either comparable or lower, IF you take our ACTUAL unemployment rate, counting those who no longer look for employment. Ya gotta watch those definitions of unemployment, y'know - because it's really important to measure apples to apples.

What is its economic growth rate?

Lower than our own - but if you'd paid attention, you'd have seen that a lot of the EU took the path of austerity - like Britain, which narrowly avoided a THIRD dip in their Great Recession. And late last year, the IMF came out and said that the EU's economic troubles were exacerbated largely because they (the IMF) severely underestimated the damage that austerity would do to the EU's economy.

What about its population growth rate?

Yes, their growth rate is getting lower as a whole, as it does in ALL - repeat, ALL - very prosperous nations. The higher the standard of living, the lower the growth rate. Check the European nations with the highest standards of living - higher than our own - and you'll find they have the lowest population growth rates. If you want a high growth rate, keep the people poor. If you want to solve Africa's population boom, help them become prosperous. Simple and quite true in concept, if very difficult in practice.

I'm sorry, but there is simply nothing about the EU's current position which suggests that it can survive as a sustainable entity; let alone a major global power player.

Especially if you're enamored of the Fox-and-conservative-pundits-fueled view that nobody in Europe can do anything right, they're all suffering under the crushing heel of tyranny, and they actually are allied with the French (horrors)!

Those of us who aren't terrified to actually look at what's good in addition to what's bad, who don't look down our noses at those with other philosophies and political systems (except for real, honest-to-goodness tyrannies (which doesn't exist today in Western Europe)) know that Europe's got a LOT of advantages today. Yes, they're facing a lot of challenges - a population that's growing older, anthropogenic global warming (which you probably think isn't real, either), and a greater real threat from terrorism than we face - but they're a heck of a lot LESS monolithic than we've become...which means that they're better able to adapt to what's necessary to respond to a challenge.

Oh, wait - that's all just heresy and nonsense to you. Sorry - I forgot that I'm not supposed to use words that are verboten in the conservative echo chamber.

The EU's economy is larger than that of the United States by barely a trillion dollars.

And this is a bad thing how?

China is expected to surpass the United States within a few decades, with India close on their heels. The EU's economy, by way of contrast, is currently exhibiting negative or next to no growth at all.

AND if you paid attention, you'd see that when developing economies grow, they almost always show really high growth rates...whereas developed economies almost never show the kind of growth rates that developing economies show. What you're pointing out isn't the result of political philosophy or economic systems - it's the result of the difference between developING and developED economies...and while China's economy is so big, what you don't get is that their population is so big that their economy is still developING.

Frankly, even during supposed "boom" times, the EU only ever exhibited growth in the 2%-3% range when the US was routinely posting 4% or higher anyway. You do the math.

See my previous paragraph above.

Incidentally, the fact that the EU actually has a population almost twice as large as that of the United States, with more or less the same general tech level, and possesses a collective economy worth only roughly a trillion dollars more than the United States in spite of this fact should really speak volumes about just how far behind the curb they really are in terms of overall competitiveness.

If the EU only included nations like Germany, Norway, Sweden, and the other, more prosperous European nations, then you'd have a point. But since they also included quite a few of the less successful nations - like Greece - then of course you'd see such a difference.

Come to think of it, America's numbers when it comes to standard of living would be a whole lot higher if we jettisoned most of the old Confederacy. But even though several of those states are the poorest in the nation, we'll keep them around anyway. Bummer.

By all rights, they should be absolutely running the tables on us.

When it comes to science and education, they are...and because of this, in the coming years, they may well do so economically, too.

Standards of living simply are not as important as economic growth on any long term basis.

So that means that, say, the Philippines has better long-term economic prospects than the U.S. does, because even though we have a MUCH better standard of living, they've had much better growth rates for years. Knowing the place as well as I do, I'd say that anyone who denigrates the importance of maintaining a high standard of living for the people is simply full of it.

China and India might very well be slightly behind the curb now, but with the growth levels they are currently experiencing, standards of living have absolutely no where to go but up.

Yeah, like the NINE-DAY traffic jam that Beijing had a couple years back. Look it up - the word 'epic' truly applies. You see, they're making beaucoup bucks in their factories, but perhaps the single most important thing when it comes to improving a nation's standard of living is INFRASTRUCTURE...and the lack of infrastructure (when it comes to roads) is what led to that nine-day traffic jam in Beijing.

The same is not true of the EU. The continent is already basically at its peak in terms of living standards, and economically stagnant. This implies that they are more likely to ultimately find living standards back sliding than moving forward.

Once again, we hear the tired old conservative argument that "Europe's about break apart, fall, disintegrate, diminish, drain down into the abyss of history!" Yawn. See me in twenty years and then we'll discuss it.

A handful of companies largely devoted to niche luxury products or known for unscrupulous monopolistic business practices does not a competitive economy make.

Yeah, shame on us here in Washington state for having Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, and Starbucks. But we're still doing pretty well, just as Europe is with Airbus, the German auto industry, and a little company called BP.

I don't care if a person happens to live in a damn utopia. If that standard of living comes at the cost of basically ceding global hegemony to someone else, the system they live under pretty clearly is not "the best."

Y'know, if you'd actually go live there for a while, you just might find that in some ways they're freer than we are. In some ways we're freer, of course, but it's a mixed bag at best. If being 'free' is so much more important to you than having a high standard of living, then go live in a third-world nation, because there's so many things you can do there that you simply can't do even in America. But if you want to live in a place that's safer, cleaner, and much more prosperous for everyone (and not just the top 1%), then living in a socialized first-world democracy (like those in Western Europe) is for you.

Again, as I pointed out in my very first post, Europe as it is today couldn't even exist if it were not the stability and military protection US global hegemony provides. If we should ever falter in this role, the European welfare states you seem to hold in such high regard will inevitably follow.

Actually, I disagree. You'll think I'm looney-tunes for saying this, but the time of empire-building has passed. This isn't to say that nations don't need to maintain a military, but they're not nearly so important as they were a couple generations back. For instance, even as nationalistic as Russia is, you'd find the people there would strongly oppose invading another nation...and it's not so easy to ignore the will of the people now that they've got a taste for being able to protest and to get those protests publicized around the world in a matter of minutes.

Yes, there will always be those who lust after power, ever more power - but in the modern world, and in a way this is due to the horrors that we've all seen or read about over the 20th century - they lust instead after economic power, rather than hegemonic power. That's why you no longer see even attempts at empire-building by the great powers of today. I mean, sure, there's China and the Spratly Islands and a few like examples, but these are chump change compared to the empire-building of bygone generations.

It's a whole new world out there, Tom - and it's changing ever more rapidly. "That's the way it's always been" does not always mean "that's the way it always will be".

Gathomas88 ¨....I simply realize that it [standard of living] is not the end all and be all of a given society's existence that many Western European nations make it out to be.¨

Apparently conservatives and libertarians don´t think that the standard of living is very important. They appreciate our ¨freedoms¨ more. Especially those ¨freedoms¨ that make places like Somalia, Mexico and India such desirable places to live: the ¨freedom¨ to lose your home and savings when you have a medical crisis and the ¨freedom¨ to work at a wage so low that you can´t afford the basics required for a decent life.

Gathomas88 ¨....I simply realize that it [standard of living] is not the end all and be all of a given society's existence that many Western European nations make it out to be.¨

Apparently conservatives and libertarians don´t think that the standard of living is very important. They appreciate our ¨freedoms¨ more. Especially those ¨freedoms¨ that make places like Somalia, Mexico and India such desirable places to live: the ¨freedom¨ to lose your home and savings when you have a medical crisis and the ¨freedom¨ to work at a wage so low that you can´t afford the basics required for a decent life.

Quoted for truth! It's nice to see that there are some people here who realize that freedom isn't freedom if so many people remain in poverty.

Dude, the only one singing looney-tunes is you. Glenn Beck and the others are on your bad side, but that's a good thing. Please understand that this is a good thing. In fact, it's a GREAT thing. ;)

Wow. We have someone here who likes BOTH Alex Jones and Glenn Beck. Just so you know, I've contacted my cohorts in the vast liberal conspiracy and we've got the black helicopters on the way to your house Right Now. We're going to confiscate all your guns, restrict your television reception to where you only get MSNBC and al-Jazeera, and we're going to point our Gay-Rays at your children before they get on the school bus that will take them to majority-minority districts where they'll be forced to learn different languages, perhaps even (gasp!) French!

But this is all part of our secret plan that just us lib'ruls know about, so as soon as you read this you'll forget all about it - you'll just have this nagging feeling that you can hear helicopters buzzing just over the next ridge....

So you're trying to tell me that had America not turned over the reins to a bunch of scuzzy left swingin' government bureaucrats, that we would have suffered the same fate as the third world? Show me your evidence. Show me how America was on the same trajectory as these other Godforsaken countries.

Have you ever noticed that market rules are very much like evolution? In both, it's the business (or the animal) that is strongest and most adaptable that will be the most successful. Same thing with the economies of nations - it's the strongest and the most adaptable that will be the most successful.

And given that there are different economic systems in the world, and those economic systems have all been around for the past century, you must ask yourself this: what economic systems have been the most successful over the past century?

So...what economic systems have been the most successful over the past century? Those with weak governments, low effective taxes, and little or no regulation? Or those with strong governments, high effective taxes, and strong regulation?

Answer that - not so much for me, but for yourself.

Non sequitur straw man arguments. I've come to expect nothing less from you.

About France's GDP.... its still less than ours and considering they grew a whooping .3% last quarter over the previous year, I don't think that gap is going to be shrinking anytime soon. NEXT LEFT WING MEME!

Growth rate, growth rate, growth rate. Do you not realize that a high growth rate does NOT indicate a healthy economy? All the growth rate means is that the amount of money in the economy is growing...but it does NOT show how high up the economic mountain that nation already is. Here's a list of the top forty nations in the world by growth rate - challenge yourself and see if you can spot what they all have in common:

1 Libya 104.5
2 Sierra Leone 19.8
3 Mongolia 12.3
4 Niger 11.2
4 Turks and Caicos Islands 11.2
6 Turkmenistan 11.0
7 Panama 10.7
8 Afghanistan 10.2
9 Macau 10.0
9 Timor-Leste 10.0
11 Cote d'Ivoire 9.8
12 Bhutan 9.7
13 Papua New Guinea 9.1
14 Iraq 8.4
14 Angola 8.4
16 Liberia 8.3
16 Laos 8.3
18 Uzbekistan 8.2
19 Burkina Faso 8.0
20 China 7.8
21 Rwanda 7.7
22 Tajikistan 7.5
22 Mozambique 7.5
24 Zambia 7.3
25 Armenia 7.2
26 Congo, Democratic Republic of the 7.1
27 Ethiopia 7.0
27 Eritrea 7.0
27 Ghana 7.0
30 Tanzania 6.9
31 Saudi Arabia 6.8
32 Philippines 6.6
32 Qatar 6.6
34 India 6.5
34 Cambodia 6.5
34 Georgia 6.5
37 Sri Lanka 6.4
37 Mauritania 6.4
37 Thailand 6.4
40 Peru 6.3

And they are growing .3% yoy. So lets see how long that lasts.
At least Walmart employees have jobs. Unlike 10% of the France working population.

And French women are overrated IMO.

So how do they define unemployment in France? Does the unemployment rate include those who are no longer looking for work after a year or two?

I ask this because our unemployment rate does NOT count those who are no longer looking for work - if it did, our rate would be up around 16% or so...and how does that, then, compare with France's 10% unemployment rate?

Back
Top Bottom