• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should trans people get to make others leave a public bathroom while they use it?

Should trans people get to make others leave a public bathroom while they use it?

• Total voters
A woman is a biological woman, a trans woman is someone who chose to be a woman later in life (which I'm willing to accept). "Cis" is an insult, IMO. Sith, I'm ok with.
And I am in agreement with you. "Cisgendered" is usually used for insulting people, and I've seen it mainly used by feminists directed at "cis" males.

And I am in agreement with you. "Cisgendered" is usually used for insulting people, and I've seen it mainly used by feminists directed at "cis" males.

Exactly. They exist, but that doesn't mean they aren't stupid terms to use.

Thank you, G. I admit, I was assuming a different response from you - my bad. In that other thread, I repeatedly requested I not be labeled as "cis", but was told that my own preferences should not be respected. This by the same folks who insist we refer to trans people in whichever way they wish (which, again, I am willing to do or try to do).

What's the point of this thread? It makes no sense. Trans people aren't asking for this? Trans ally's aren't asking for this?

May I ask? When did you stop beating your wife?

What in the hell is wrong with the like button today? I had to refresh the page something like five times to get it to work.

Anyway, I have never come across feminists that use it to insult cisgender men. I have however come across people that use the term cisgender as an insult. I can't figure out it works though. Usually insults describe something undesirable and many times unusual, not things that are the norm and by all accounts the desired outcome.

It's not an insult. It's just a classification.

What in the hell is wrong with the like button today? I had to refresh the page something like five times to get it to work.

Anyway, I have never come across feminists that use it to insult cisgender men. I have however come across people that use the term cisgender as an insult. I can't figure out it works though. Usually insults describe something undesirable and many times unusual, not things that are the norm and by all accounts the desired outcome.

Taptalk is just a annoying mother****er sometimes. Today I couldn't connect to the network for about 15 minutes straight. Ugh.

I've personally run into a lot of feminists (3rd-Wave Feminists to be specific) that do. But maybe it's because I'm only focusing specifically on feminists using "cis" as an insult, as I do watch a lot of Sargon of Akkad.

Thank you, G. I admit, I was assuming a different response from you - my bad. In that other thread, I repeatedly requested I not be labeled as "cis", but was told that my own preferences should not be respected. This by the same folks who insist we refer to trans people in whichever way they wish (which, again, I am willing to do or try to do).

Well I'm not your average liberal. I'm pretty special. [emoji12]

I don't really like the "cis" term either, and I don't use it much at all.

And someone told you that your preferences should not be respected? Why?

Here's a rather large discussion on it.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-and-sexuality/245786-term-cis-gendered.html?highlight=Cis

To sum up, it's an antongistic term used for folks who are not trans but need to have some manufactured label applied to them as a sort of revenge for calling trans people "trans".

This is all trans- vs. cis- means. From the article: 'The terms “cis” and “trans” are from Latin, in which cis means "on this side"[2] and trans means "on the other side" or "across".'

This is actually evasive and doesn't answer the question. What's the hesitation?

Because frankly its a stupid question. Should this person use the men's room?

3e4e64fb5fb95e401dbb009ba7fb8b7057ef35e03eace2fbd01c85a9dd39387e_large

Should this person use the ladies room?

a98038_IanHarvie.jpg

Does anyone give a **** other than right wing bigots once again looking for another whipping post in the culture war?

Well I'm not your average liberal. I'm pretty special. [emoji12]

I can dig it. I'm an SSM supporting, animal appreciating, liberal defending (sometimes :D) Christian conservative that believes trans people should be able to use whichever bathroom they ID with.

I don't really like the "cis" term either, and I don't use it much at all.

And someone told you that your preferences should not be respected? Why?

Long story, and to be fair, several were consistent and said it should be respected.

It is only an insult to those who choose to be offended.

Well that could also be said about calling someone born male a male. See, that is objectively accurate and the term itself is neutral. Now, I'm willing to respect (or try to) the way a trans person wants to be referred to, but I do expect that respect to travel both ways.

I can dig it. I'm an SSM supporting, animal appreciating, liberal defending (sometimes :D) Christian conservative that believes trans people should be able to use whichever bathroom they ID with.

I'm to the left on almost every issue, but when it comes to the topic of feminism and basically everything that revolves around it, I mainly side with the conservatives. Kind of like Sargon of Akkad.

Long story, and to be fair, several were consistent and said it should be respected.

I mean your situation is why I have a problem with how the term "cisgendered" is used. It's basically used to ignore someone else's concern, and dismisses it altogether.

Because frankly its a stupid question. Should this person use the men's room?

3e4e64fb5fb95e401dbb009ba7fb8b7057ef35e03eace2fbd01c85a9dd39387e_large

Should this person use the ladies room?

a98038_IanHarvie.jpg

Does anyone give a **** other than right wing bigots once again looking for another whipping post in the culture war?

Great speech (actually, I've seen better). In both cases (though I can't see the second pic), they should be able to use the bathroom of the gender which they identify with and live as.

That's not what this thread is about, however.

Thanks for dropping by.

A woman is a biological woman, a trans woman is someone who chose to be a woman later in life (which I'm willing to accept). "Cis" is an insult, IMO. Sith, I'm ok with.

I'm a cisgender woman and don't feel at all insulted by that. Maybe you shouldn't try to speak for women, particularly not all women.

In many different ways. But it's mainly used as a exclusionary term.

Also, if it's repeatedly used against someone whose asked that it not be, to continue to do so is, at that point, intended to be insulting and disrespectful.

In many different ways. But it's mainly used as a exclusionary term.

It's a term used to clarify. It is not meant to exclude anyone. Any word can be made into an insult. I've made "housewife" an insult in my youth.

How? It literally describes the vast majority of people.

Like "he" and "she"? How could those terms ever be insults? They're accurate and literally apply to the vast majority of people.

Back
Top Bottom