• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the Feds send a Voter ID to every eligible voter?

so you are in agreement with a government issued ID card provided for FREE?
I would love to hear you acknowledge that.
The courts state that the government cannot charge for Voter ID. So the card is free. The problem is the voter needs to be able to confirm that they are legally allowed to vote. THAT is what the dims don't want to happen.

The courts state that the government cannot charge for Voter ID. So the card is free. The problem is the voter needs to be able to confirm that they are legally allowed to vote. THAT is what the dims don't want to happen.
dims?
ho boy.
:rolleyes:

These as people who choose not to have IDs. The assertion that the poor or disadvantaged have difficulty getting one is nonsense.
Not to mention it's merely opinion poll extrapolation data. Not actual statistics.

Agreed. They are not concerned in the least with alleged voter suppression. They just do not want it to become more difficult to commit voter fraud.

These as people who choose not to have IDs. The assertion that the poor or disadvantaged have difficulty getting one is nonsense.
Says who? You? Your gut feelings about why people don't have IDs are not a convincing argument. The fact is, the lack of photo ID is more common for the poor, for young people, and for black people. I don't think those trends are a coincidence, and I don't think choice is the primary reason. If you want to convince me otherwise, please put some effort into the debate and find some evidence.

And besides, the REASON people don't have photo IDs isn't really important. People who demand photo ID are putting barriers between millions of people and their right to vote. I don't even care if those barriers are "easy" to overcome. You cannot inconvenience millions of people to solve a nonexistent problem. A few dozen people voting illegally and getting caught is not a serious problem in the system.

Says who? You? Your gut feelings about why people don't have IDs are not a convincing argument. The fact is, the lack of photo ID is more common for the poor, for young people, and for black people. I don't think those trends are a coincidence, and I don't think choice is the primary reason. If you want to convince me otherwise, please put some effort into the debate and find some evidence.

And besides, the REASON people don't have photo IDs isn't really important. People who demand photo ID are putting barriers between millions of people and their right to vote. I don't even care if those barriers are "easy" to overcome. You cannot inconvenience millions of people to solve a nonexistent problem. A few dozen people voting illegally and getting caught is not a serious problem in the system.
Let’s start with the simple fact that every federal program to aid the poor, like food stamps, has an ID requirement. Yet somehow that’s never been a problem for our friends on the left.

Let’s start with the simple fact that every federal program to aid the poor, like food stamps, has an ID requirement. Yet somehow that’s never been a problem for our friends on the left.
Those aren't a problem for the left because there are obvious and key differences between welfare and voting.

1. A single extra vote in an election is WORTHLESS, so basically no one is dumb enough to lie (and risk consequences) to get it. Money from welfare has real value. People are willing to lie to get money, so there is a problem which might be improved by requiring ID for welfare. Again, requiring ID to vote DOES NOT SOLVE ANY PROBLEM.

2. Voting is a fundamental right which every citizen should have access to. Welfare is a privilege. Placing barriers in front of a right is worse than placing barriers in front of a privilege.

Those aren't a problem for the left because there are obvious and key differences between welfare and voting.

1. A single extra vote in an election is WORTHLESS, so basically no one is dumb enough to lie (and risk consequences) to get it. Money from welfare has real value. People are willing to lie to get money, so there is a problem which might be improved by requiring ID for welfare. Again, requiring ID to vote DOES NOT SOLVE ANY PROBLEM.

2. Voting is a fundamental right which every citizen should have access to. Welfare is a privilege. Placing barriers in front of a right is worse than placing barriers in front of a privilege.
What you are trying to say in your own way is that you are cool with election fraud. You do not want any laws that inhibit that. Voting is a fundamental right, however voting without proving who you are is not. Your attempt to justify your stance with the claim that it's only about a small handful of fraudulent votes is hilarious. Many state and local elections have been decided by a handful of votes. The 2000 presidential election was ultimately decided by 537 votes in Florida. And you libruls were screaming loudly about Diebold voting machines.

What you are trying to say in your own way is that you are cool with election fraud. You do not want any laws that inhibit that. Voting is a fundamental right, however voting without proving who you are is not. Your attempt to justify your stance with the claim that it's only about a small handful of fraudulent votes is hilarious. Many state and local elections have been decided by a handful of votes. The 2000 presidential election was ultimately decided by 537 votes in Florida. And you libruls were screaming loudly about Diebold voting machines.
Inconveniencing 20 million people damages the integrity of our elections far more than a handful of idiots voting twice and getting caught. Your "solution" does more harm than good, so find a better solution and stop whining.

Inconveniencing 20 million people damages the integrity of our elections far more than a handful of idiots voting twice and getting caught. Your "solution" does more harm than good, so find a better solution and stop whining.
You are making it up as you go along. And while it's not about handful of votes, some local, state, and one federal election were decided on a handful of votes. Were you not paying attention when I mentioned the 2000 presidential race? And do you really think Joe Biden managed to get more votes then Barack "Hussein" Obama?

You are making it up as you go along. And while it's not about handful of votes, some local, state, and one federal election were decided on a handful of votes. Were you not paying attention when I mentioned the 2000 presidential race?
Close elections will be far more impacted by 20 million inconvenienced voters than the tiny amount of fraud you have been able to find. This is not rocket science.

And do you really think Joe Biden managed to get more votes then Barack "Hussein" Obama?
Yes. Obviously.

Close elections will be far more impacted by 20 million inconvenienced voters than the tiny amount of fraud you have been able to find. This is not rocket science.

Yes. Obviously.
There is not even one voter inconvenienced by having to show ID much less 20 million. You are making up figures as you go along. And once again. You are glossing over the elections that have been decided by just a handful of votes. And to be sure, just one fraudulent vote is too many. One fraudulent vote cancels out one legitimate vote. Just be honest as to the real reason you are against Voter ID. It's not over inconvenience. You are fooling nobody.

Voter IDs are different in every state and in many states the means to get one had been made difficult. In my state the government made the people pay for the ID which violates the constitution and the courts ordered them to halt the practice and make the ids available for free. That state refused and continued the practice until the courts suggested that the net move would be to put people in jail for failure to follow the court orders. Other states have closed all offices in Dem voting areas to make it harder to get IDs, especially for the poor and elderly as the nearest office were over fifty miles away. this is just another way for GOP controlled states to suppress the vote. And do not compare this to other licenses, as this is controlled by our constitution. So, why not just have the Feds provide a Voter ID for every eligible voter making it easier for every citizen to vote and still meet the voter ID laws that the GOP feels are necessary.
No. Setting up state programs or even charities(there are charities to help the homeless get legal documents,so why not low income?) to provide state issued Real ID/driver's licenses to low income eligible voters would be a better idea.

There is not even one voter inconvenienced by having to show ID much less 20 million. You are making up figures as you go along. And once again. You are glossing over the elections that have been decided by just a handful of votes. And to be sure, just one fraudulent vote is too many. One fraudulent vote cancels out one legitimate vote. Just be honest as to the real reason you are against Voter ID. It's not over inconvenience. You are fooling nobody.
I cited the data in post #75. You have made nothing but unsupported assertions and ridiculous lies like the bolded.

I cited the data in post #75. You have made nothing but unsupported assertions and ridiculous lies like the bolded.
Again, I ask for your real reason for opposing Voter ID. You can leave out the intellectual dishonesty you keep coming up with.

Again, I ask for your real reason for opposing Voter ID. You can leave out the intellectual dishonesty you keep coming up with.
I've given you the reason. Stop wasting my time.

Voter IDs are different in every state and in many states the means to get one had been made difficult. In my state the government made the people pay for the ID which violates the constitution and the courts ordered them to halt the practice and make the ids available for free. That state refused and continued the practice until the courts suggested that the net move would be to put people in jail for failure to follow the court orders. Other states have closed all offices in Dem voting areas to make it harder to get IDs, especially for the poor and elderly as the nearest office were over fifty miles away. this is just another way for GOP controlled states to suppress the vote. And do not compare this to other licenses, as this is controlled by our constitution. So, why not just have the Feds provide a Voter ID for every eligible voter making it easier for every citizen to vote and still meet the voter ID laws that the GOP feels are necessary.
Social Security numbers are provided citizens at birth, a voter ID number could be added and the SS card issued become a chip card.

All citizens 18 and older should be automatically registered to vote and listed in the polls.

The local DMV office is responsible for giving people state ID cards. Voting is always a state issue except for H.R. 1 and S.B. 1.

I think every American citizen who is medically or legally prohibited from operating a road vehicle should automatically get a non-driver state ID card at age 18. But they will still need to register to vote.

Social Security numbers are provided citizens at birth, a voter ID number could be added and the SS card issued become a chip card.

Federal ID cards are not the answer. States still run the elections. And a drivers license or state ID card is just as easy to obtain as a social security card.

Agreed. They are not concerned in the least with alleged voter suppression. They just do not want it to become more difficult to commit voter fraud.

We disagree: Removing drop boxes and the GOP giving themselves the right to take over election boards has everything to do with voter fraud. Your standard bearer demanded the GA SoS find 1100 votes for him, that’s voter fraud.

Back
Top Bottom