• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the Feds send a Voter ID to every eligible voter?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Voter IDs are different in every state and in many states the means to get one had been made difficult. In my state the government made the people pay for the ID which violates the constitution and the courts ordered them to halt the practice and make the ids available for free. That state refused and continued the practice until the courts suggested that the net move would be to put people in jail for failure to follow the court orders. Other states have closed all offices in Dem voting areas to make it harder to get IDs, especially for the poor and elderly as the nearest office were over fifty miles away. this is just another way for GOP controlled states to suppress the vote. And do not compare this to other licenses, as this is controlled by our constitution. So, why not just have the Feds provide a Voter ID for every eligible voter making it easier for every citizen to vote and still meet the voter ID laws that the GOP feels are necessary.

NATIONAL VOTER ID (NVID)

The idea of the US Govt mailing all eligible voters a NVID card for federal elections
sounds wonderful. There would be some obstacles however.

a.

Republicans recently tried to pass a bill, in one US state which escapes me, that
would prevent absentee ballots from being mailed to all eligible voters.

These same republicans would certainly oppose a Voter ID being so easily obtained
by Blacks in their state who would likely vote democrat and from which districts the
republicans are trying to reduce ballot drop-boxes.

Republicans are more likely than democrats to oppose a bill for free NVIDs

b.

When a voter relocates from state A to state B the voter cannot vote in state A.

Many relocated voters would need new NVIDs every year. The US Govt would not
wish to be tasked with this bureaucracy; they would rather have the states handle it.

c.

There are probably another dozen bureaucratic reasons for which implementing a
NVID would be a difficult accomplishment.

Great Idea!

Bet you bottom dollar though some Republican voters - including on here - would find SOME problem with that.

I hope they do because it would expose their hypocrisy since they been chanting "need a voter ID" ever since Trump got spanked.

Great Idea!

Bet you bottom dollar though some Republican voters - including on here - would find SOME problem with that.

I hope they do because it would expose their hypocrisy since they been chanting "need a voter ID" ever since Trump got spanked.
Another uneducated response from moose country. Voter ID laws have been argued WAY before Trump. The left loves DJT

Should the Feds send a Voter ID to every eligible voter?​

No.

How on earth do you think the federal government can keep track of hundreds of millions of people who keep moving around...from precinct to precinct, city to city, county to county, state to state...even country to country? How can they keep track of those who have lost their right to vote...which can differ from state to state?

Or...do you think a federal voter ID should allow anyone to vote anywhere?

Jesus...this is one totally ****ed up idea.

Another uneducated response from moose country. Voter ID laws have been argued WAY before Trump. The left loves DJT
so you are in agreement with a government issued ID card provided for FREE?
I would love to hear you acknowledge that.

It isn't so much the ID, which would be fine, but a federal right to vote law superseding all these restrictive nut-job state laws the Reps are passing. The cons are big on preventing restrictions of any kind whatsoever on gun rights, but restricting the right to access our democracy, get out the bricks and mortar.

Voter IDs are different in every state and in many states the means to get one had been made difficult. In my state the government made the people pay for the ID which violates the constitution and the courts ordered them to halt the practice and make the ids available for free. That state refused and continued the practice until the courts suggested that the net move would be to put people in jail for failure to follow the court orders. Other states have closed all offices in Dem voting areas to make it harder to get IDs, especially for the poor and elderly as the nearest office were over fifty miles away. this is just another way for GOP controlled states to suppress the vote. And do not compare this to other licenses, as this is controlled by our constitution. So, why not just have the Feds provide a Voter ID for every eligible voter making it easier for every citizen to vote and still meet the voter ID laws that the GOP feels are necessary.
As long as the process of voting is handled by the states, a national voter ID card movement won't get very far. We are still a Republic after all and I don't see any way of that changing unless of course the Repukes succeed in overthrowing the Republic. They don't really believe in states rights just as they don't really believe in National Security or deficit reduction. Heck they don't believe in the Democratic Republic. They believe in themselves and the securing of power to themselves. So if the Repukes overthrow the Republic, states rights will go out the window as a bothersome pebble in the shoe of their AUTOCRACY.

Oh and for white people that are not WASPs, don't worry, they will get around to us at some point as well. They likely don't even think we are as White as they are although good luck finding a few people that are actually 100% Caucasian in America in 2021.

Matt Damon playing a CIA Deputy Dir. in the movie "The Good Sheperd" provided us with the American WASP credo if we did not already know it while discussing politics with an actor playing a Florida Mafia Don. The Don was talking about the cultural assets of the various cultural groups that make up the population, what the Italians had and what the Jews had and what the Blacks had. He then turns to Damon's character and asks him......"what do your people have". Damon calmly replies, "We have the United States, the rest of you are just visiting". That IS the American WASP credo in a nutshell.

As whacko as that sounds that IS their perspective. Some hide it better than others. But that is where they are.

Not really needed. There are very few people who lack IDs, and most of those who do have one have chosen not to have one.

The argument that somehow the poor lack IDs is nonsense since virtual every government assistance program to aid the poor has an identification requirement. It’s virtually impossible to have a job (legally) and not have an ID, so that takes care of most everyone else.

The reality is that anyone who considers an voter ID requirement an undue burden is either misinformed or lying for some reason.

Voter ID's are not necessary, will cost big bundles of tax dollars, will not prevent conservatives from committing voter fraud, nor will it stop voter suppression and no one knows exactly what information will be included on a voters ID or what information reckless anti american ALEC GOP wants on these
ID"s.

ALEC has a Fascist platform which pushes VOTER ID as part of their VOTER SUPPRESSION exercise.
This is no secret.

Don't get duped by the VOTER ID syndrome.

As long as the process of voting is handled by the states, a national voter ID card movement won't get very far. We are still a Republic after all and I don't see any way of that changing unless of course the Repukes succeed in overthrowing the Republic. They don't really believe in states rights just as they don't really believe in National Security or deficit reduction. Heck they don't believe in the Democratic Republic. They believe in themselves and the securing of power to themselves. So if the Repukes overthrow the Republic, states rights will go out the window as a bothersome pebble in the shoe of their AUTOCRACY.

Oh and for white people that are not WASPs, don't worry, they will get around to us at some point as well. They likely don't even think we are as White as they are although good luck finding a few people that are actually 100% Caucasian in America in 2021.

Matt Damon playing a CIA Deputy Dir. in the movie "The Good Sheperd" provided us with the American WASP credo if we did not already know it while discussing politics with an actor playing a Florida Mafia Don. The Don was talking about the cultural assets of the various cultural groups that make up the population, what the Italians had and what the Jews had and what the Blacks had. He then turns to Damon's character and asks him......"what do your people have". Damon calmly replies, "We have the United States, the rest of you are just visiting". That IS the American WASP credo in a nutshell.

As whacko as that sounds that IS their perspective. Some hide it better than others. But that is where they are.
You do realize that the constitution allows the Federal government to pass laws that override the State laws when it comes to Federal elections? That is why the GOp in congress is so against HR.1 and other election laws? I am sure that is due to the founding fathers not wanting the states to pass laws that limit voting as is being done in the GOP controlled states.

Should the Feds send a Voter ID to every eligible voter?​

No.

How on earth do you think the federal government can keep track of hundreds of millions of people who keep moving around...from precinct to precinct, city to city, county to county, state to state...even country to country? How can they keep track of those who have lost their right to vote...which can differ from state to state?

Or...do you think a federal voter ID should allow anyone to vote anywhere?

Jesus...this is one totally ****ed up idea.

Does the IRS have any problem knowing where you live?

It works in Mexico.

You can't vote without the national voter ID.

Too many half truths and lies to take that post seriously.

My preference is that whatever ID system we choose should be federal.

Not really needed. There are very few people who lack IDs, and most of those who do have one have chosen not to have one.

The argument that somehow the poor lack IDs is nonsense since virtual every government assistance program to aid the poor has an identification requirement. It’s virtually impossible to have a job (legally) and not have an ID, so that takes care of most everyone else.

The reality is that anyone who considers an voter ID requirement an undue burden is either misinformed or lying for some reason.

IT’s always funny to me that for folks that insist they want election integrity have so many reasons against voter ID.

These same republicans would certainly oppose a Voter ID being so easily obtained
by Blacks in their state who would likely vote democrat and from which districts the
republicans are trying to reduce ballot drop-boxes.

Absentee ballots should absolutely not be sent to all voters. They should only be sent to those requesting them that cannot vote in person. And ballot drop boxes should be legal only inside voting centers where they can be watched to avoid fraud. As for Voter ID Only a complete and utter moron would suggest that blacks cannot easily obtain them in their own state:

No. Its rather stupid to consider sen ding a federal ID card to everyone when across the country the VAST MAJORITY of people already have valid ID.

Now...if the question is shoud the states issue a valid ID to anyone that needs one...of course. Further...DO the states issue a valid ID to anyone that needs one? Yeah....I bet you would find that to be the case already.

My preference is that whatever ID system we choose should be federal.

Have you heard of Real ID? It's the closest thing available to federal ID and works just as well. I have one.

Have you heard of Real ID? It's the closest thing available to federal ID and works just as well. I have one.

I think that my next driver's license has to be one of those.

I think that my next driver's license has to be one of those.
Check the requirements for your state. It's a little harder to get, however once you get it, it's renewed every time you renew your drivers license or state ID.

Back
Top Bottom