• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the Feds send a Voter ID to every eligible voter?

I renewed my license in NY State about two years ago for $128.
Research it if you think I’m lying.
Do they ask you to bend over first?
And no, you don’t need a driver license for daily needs; please stop with the nonsense.
I live in NYC and even here I rarely produce my ID.
Defini
You believe that I am against Voter ID.
Another dumb assumption by you.

Definitely not buying that.
You believe that I am against Voter ID.
Another dumb assumption by you.

Then why are you pushing the falsehood that it oppresses some voters?
If the RNC offers to pay for all Voter IDs and required supportive documents and
transportation to-and-from municipal offices, I’ll support it.

Bullshit. Even in the poorest communities, most that you are suggesting cannot afford an ID spend more the your $128.00 figure on alcohol and tobacco products in a month.

You said: “Someone living off the grid is far more likely to be white then minority.”
How do you know this? Because of TV shows featuring Whites?
Maybe producers know that viewers like watching Whites on TV more than other races;
did you even consider this? Well ‘My Name is Earl’ must be a reflection of reality...

Comes from life experience. I have lived in the big cities, small towns, and out in the country in four states over my 67 years. Most that I have seen living off the grid are hermits and white.

You made an irrelevant comment that I responded to with point 1.
You made three more dumb assumptions I responded to with points 2, 3 and 4.
You made an unsubstantiated claim that I responded to with point 5.
You also made the dumb assumption about racism on my part, that I clarified.
Summarily your username ‘dopey’ reflects upon you very well.
Go ahead, make more dumb assumptions and share them with us.
So emotional!.

Should the Feds send a Voter ID to every eligible voter?​

No.

How on earth do you think the federal government can keep track of hundreds of millions of people who keep moving around...from precinct to precinct, city to city, county to county, state to state...even country to country? How can they keep track of those who have lost their right to vote...which can differ from state to state?

Or...do you think a federal voter ID should allow anyone to vote anywhere?

Jesus...this is one totally ****ed up idea.
I mean I live in a country where our government does that, mails a ballot to all eligible voters.

I mean I live in a country where our government does that, mails a ballot to all eligible voters.
I live in a state that does that also...but that has nothing to do with the Feds sending a voter ID to everyone.

Republican led states would just reject them as a valid form of ID.

I live in a state that does that also...but that has nothing to do with the Feds sending a voter ID to everyone.
Here any drivers license, passport or government issued id is automatically a voter ID.

Voter IDs are different in every state and in many states the means to get one had been made difficult. In my state the government made the people pay for the ID which violates the constitution and the courts ordered them to halt the practice and make the ids available for free. That state refused and continued the practice until the courts suggested that the net move would be to put people in jail for failure to follow the court orders. Other states have closed all offices in Dem voting areas to make it harder to get IDs, especially for the poor and elderly as the nearest office were over fifty miles away. this is just another way for GOP controlled states to suppress the vote. And do not compare this to other licenses, as this is controlled by our constitution. So, why not just have the Feds provide a Voter ID for every eligible voter making it easier for every citizen to vote and still meet the voter ID laws that the GOP feels are necessary.
No, if you keep it to a low amount that should not be necessary. Just make having an ID on them so that they at least have a reason to buy one. For ease make it a document that is good for 10 years and that is easy to attain and then one can use it for voting too. Just having an ID for voting purposes is just useless IMO.

Voter IDs are different in every state and in many states the means to get one had been made difficult. In my state the government made the people pay for the ID which violates the constitution and the courts ordered them to halt the practice and make the ids available for free. That state refused and continued the practice until the courts suggested that the net move would be to put people in jail for failure to follow the court orders. Other states have closed all offices in Dem voting areas to make it harder to get IDs, especially for the poor and elderly as the nearest office were over fifty miles away. this is just another way for GOP controlled states to suppress the vote. And do not compare this to other licenses, as this is controlled by our constitution. So, why not just have the Feds provide a Voter ID for every eligible voter making it easier for every citizen to vote and still meet the voter ID laws that the GOP feels are necessary.
One thing is for certain, "every stimulus check" that went out, and for those that did not get a check, their names are on a list.... The government can easily move forward with sending out ID's with digital encoding that can be used on Federal, State, Country, City Elections. That information can be put in 'blockchain" with encrypted registered logging.
We live in the Age of Information and Digitization is fully working, not just in America but around the world. The old system of Social Security Numbers was based on an Analog system, but that can be tied and linked to Digital Federal Registration.

In America people get a Birth Certificate and a Social Security Number, and have been getting it since the creation of the systems. It's only a logical progression to digitize this.

That system does not need to list whether one is Republican or Democrat, that will be associated via the votes individuals cast. In time it won't be political parties because it won't be about a system that promotes divisiveness, it will be about a society that has the responsibility to know what they are voting for.
In the next 20 yrs we won't have a politically illiterate society! Many of the politically illiterate will have died out...

Think- in 20 yrs as automatous vehicles replace those that are not, it likely won't be necessary to give drivers test to young people who are not even born yet, they can simply have simulator training provided in their general educational programming.

Automation is not going any place but forward!!! A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) will be able to know more about what people actually know, by what they actually do.

Today, anyone who has a cell phone can get automated text from their State government, people can be automatically notified of what ever any particular areas needs to notify people, and this can be built into the operating system of any communication device.

Search engines have been profiling individuals based on their search, bots scanning the system and IP identity because very device that uses the internet has an IP and data must pass through servers.

People like Trump.... who thinks he can outsmart systems and the advances in society, has only exposed how much more of an imbecile that he is, and that he is far behind and not even remotely close to being a genius. He has been beneficial in bringing the "ignorance within society up to the surface in full exposure". Beyond that he has been nothing more than a mobsters preying on the generalized and willful ignorance of bigots, greed mongers, race and ethnicity biased and the imbeciles that are anti-government, but too dumb to know they live in a society within a nation that was built and sustained through governance.

Here any drivers license, passport or government issued id is automatically a voter ID.
In the US, it's controlled by the State and nobody is allowed to vote unless they are registered and people have a choice if they want to be registered or not.

In the US, it's controlled by the State and nobody is allowed to vote unless they are registered and people have a choice if they want to be registered or not.
Yeah, over here every adult citizen is registered as a voter automatically. The whole having to register have to me always seemed like a ploy to make sure people don't vote.

Yeah, over here every adult citizen is registered as a voter automatically. The whole having to register have to me always seemed like a ploy to make sure people don't vote.
No. It's to ensure that only citizens who WANT to vote can vote. It requires a measure of personal responsibility. Anyone who wants to vote can easily vote.

It also ensures that people who don't want to vote won't be unwittingly used by people who want to commit voter fraud. (Except people who want to commit voter fraud found a way around that during the last election.)

No. It's to ensure that only citizens who WANT to vote can vote. It requires a measure of personal responsibility. Anyone who wants to vote can easily vote.

It also ensures that people who don't want to vote won't be unwittingly used by people who want to commit voter fraud. (Except people who want to commit voter fraud found a way around that during the last election.)
You make it sound like voting is a bad thing. And if you don't want to vote you don't have to, being automatically registered don't force you to vote in any way. More people voting and influencing how the country is run is good not bad. Everyone should vote. There should be no barriers to vote.

You make it sound like voting is a bad thing. And if you don't want to vote you don't have to, being automatically registered don't force you to vote in any way. More people voting and influencing how the country is run is good not bad. Everyone should vote. There should be no barriers to vote.

If you like the voting registration system in your country, you are welcome to it, We are more for individual responsibility here.

Voting is not a bad thing, but it is something to be taken seriously. That's why people should actually want to vote and should take a measure of responsibility to make sure they can vote.

Lazy Americans is a bad thing.

How is the situation here in Austria ?

# the voting age is 16, not 18 like in the US. We are among a few countries that allow 16/17-year olds to vote. Turnout among these first time voters is actually pretty good, because they deal with an upcoming election in school, while turnout is worst in the 18-30 group.

# all citizens aged 16+ are automatically registered to vote for an election, because we have a central population register, unlike the Anglo countries.

# you need a valid picture ID such as a passport, national ID card or driving license to vote. Most people have a passport or driving license, some have another national ID card. The prices are not all too high and it’s needed to go on vacation in Italy, Spain etc. - In the rural areas with small towns, the election commission usually doesn’t ask for your ID if you are known to them as a resident of the town.

# a week or two before an election, all 6.4 million eligible voters get an election info card sent to them by post, which has their precinct on them. You can only vote in this precinct, not in another, to avoid crowds. There are 11.000 polling stations in Austria for an election, so 600 people for each precinct. You don’t wait more than 2 minutes to vote. In the US, there are states where you wait hours in line, because there are not enough precincts and people can pick & choose to which precinct they go to vote.

# the election info card also contains a blanko absentee ballot request. About 20% of Austrians voted by post before Covid (The last national election was in 2019). Postal voting is safe and there are no problems.

# even though we have high turnout (76-80%) vs. 60-67% in the US, I would like universal poll opening and closing times, from 8am to 5 or 6pm. Currently, every town can set their own opening and closing times.

How is the situation here in Austria ?

# the voting age is 16, not 18 like in the US. We are among a few countries that allow 16/17-year olds to vote. Turnout among these first time voters is actually pretty good, because they deal with an upcoming election in school, while turnout is worst in the 18-30 group.

# all citizens aged 16+ are automatically registered to vote for an election, because we have a central population register, unlike the Anglo countries.

# you need a valid picture ID such as a passport, national ID card or driving license to vote. Most people have a passport or driving license, some have another national ID card. The prices are not all too high and it’s needed to go on vacation in Italy, Spain etc. - In the rural areas with small towns, the election commission usually doesn’t ask for your ID if you are known to them as a resident of the town.

# a week or two before an election, all 6.4 million eligible voters get an election info card sent to them by post, which has their precinct on them. You can only vote in this precinct, not in another, to avoid crowds. There are 11.000 polling stations in Austria for an election, so 600 people for each precinct. You don’t wait more than 2 minutes to vote. In the US, there are states where you wait hours in line, because there are not enough precincts and people can pick & choose to which precinct they go to vote.

# the election info card also contains a blanko absentee ballot request. About 20% of Austrians voted by post before Covid (The last national election was in 2019). Postal voting is safe and there are no problems.

# even though we have high turnout (76-80%) vs. 60-67% in the US, I would like universal poll opening and closing times, from 8am to 5 or 6pm. Currently, every town can set their own opening and closing times.

SOME ADDITIONAL INFO

Everything about the Austrian voting system sounds good to me except that it allows
16 year-olds to vote.

In the US most 16 year-olds are immature and I say that it would be a mistake to
allow them to vote. It is surprising to me that Austria considers 16 year-olds mature
enough to vote. Aren't most 16 year-olds there students who have never had to work
and who live at home with their parents just like it is here in the US?

In NY City polling stations, where you go to vote, are opened from 6:00am to 9:00pm
but you can still wait for a long time in the line for your turn, especially if you wait until
the last available day to place your vote.

Most people who work at the polling stations are volunteers who work there with no pay.

Do they ask you to bend over first?

Defini

Definitely not buying that.

Then why are you pushing the falsehood that it oppresses some voters?

Bullshit. Even in the poorest communities, most that you are suggesting cannot afford an ID spend more the your $128.00 figure on alcohol and tobacco products in a month.

Comes from life experience. I have lived in the big cities, small towns, and out in the country in four states over my 67 years. Most that I have seen living off the grid are hermits and white.

So emotional!.

YOU SAID

“Comes from life experience. I have lived in the big cities, small towns, and out in the country in four states over my 67 years. Most that I have seen living off the grid are hermits and white.”

Of course most of them are White. You chose to go to the Whitest ones. Y’all didn’t want to be surrounded by dem negroes. It’s amazing that you convinced yourself that you ended up in mostly-White isolated areas purely by chance.

BANKS

Btw, you never answered the question:

“Who cares if you personally need to show ID if you cash a check anywhere but in your bank?
How is this relevant to our discussion?”

(Or was this just another one of your air-headed comments?)

SOME ADDITIONAL INFO

Everything about the Austrian voting system sounds good to me except that it allows
16 year-olds to vote.

In the US most 16 year-olds are immature and I say that it would be a mistake to
allow them to vote. It is surprising to me that Austria considers 16 year-olds mature
enough to vote. Aren't most 16 year-olds there students who have never had to work
and who live at home with their parents just like it is here in the US?

In NY City polling stations, where you go to vote, are opened from 6:00am to 9:00pm
but you can still wait for a long time in the line for your turn, especially if you wait until
the last available day to place your vote.

Most people who work at the polling stations are volunteers who work there with no pay.

Yes, this is debatable.

16-year olds are often clueless about politics and don’t care, but since introducing the 16/17-year old voting age in 2007, schools put an emphasis on political science among those students and first time voters, with debates and lead candidates visiting schools.

Therefore, this age cohort is always very eager to vote and only later enthusiasm drops off when they are 20-30 years old (who are the laziest).

But experts say that letting them vote early is a good thing because the political science education they get and first voting experience means they will vote more often in the future, making them more responsible citizens later on.

Of course most of them are White. You chose to go to the Whitest ones. Y’all didn’t want to be surrounded by dem negroes. It’s amazing that you convinced yourself that you ended up in mostly-White isolated areas purely by chance.

That rant is merely an attempt to divert from your racism of low expectations. Your narrative is that blacks are a special group and helpless when it comes to obtaining the documentation needed for a drivers license or state ID.
“Who cares if you personally need to show ID if you cash a check anywhere but in your bank?
How is this relevant to our discussion?”
Why are you obsessed with check cashing? That is just one of many reasons virtually every adult alive in the US today carries either a drivers license or state ID card out of necessity.

That rant is merely an attempt to divert from your racism of low expectations. Your narrative is that blacks are a special group and helpless when it comes to obtaining the documentation needed for a drivers license or state ID.

Why are you obsessed with check cashing? That is just one of many reasons virtually every adult alive in the US today carries either a drivers license or state ID card out of necessity.

(Error)

Meh. I'm not impressed.
You had four freaking years to get an ID since the last general election action...and you STILL didnt do it? Thats on YOU, and your lack of ambition.
If there is a legit hardship: elderly housebound, no transportation, etc, there are already many many ways you can get yourself an ID.

I'm tired of hearing people whine about getting an ID like its a major hurdle or something. If you cant take care of that: you are going to FAIL and FAIL HARD in life, and you probably shouldn't be voting anyway IMO. Good lord folks, take a little initiative, stop being a freaking LOSER and victim. Get out there and kick some ass!!

I think that my next driver's license has to be one of those.

Already got mine.
I'm not the type to whine and cry about how difficult getting an ID is.
I took care of it at the DMV on Monday, and that Friday my Real ID arrived in the mail. Could believe how fast it was.

Already got mine.
I'm not the type to whine and cry about how difficult getting an ID is.
I took care of it at the DMV on Monday, and that Friday my Real ID arrived in the mail. Could believe how fast it was.

I don't complain, either, as I have a car, enough money to buy gas, and the BMVs near me haven't been crowded, so I've never had to take time off for it yet. I don't believe that my situation is the same as everyone else's, though. Neither do the Republicans who make the rules.

I don't complain, either, as I have a car, enough money to buy gas, and the BMVs near me haven't been crowded, so I've never had to take time off for it yet. I don't believe that my situation is the same as everyone else's, though. Neither do the Republicans who make the rules.

"I couldn't get an ID for the past 4 years because I didnt have gasoline in my car and the BMV was crowded."

:rolleyes:

That sounds like grounds for a Pity Party right there.
C'mon Helix, some will take the initiative and prosper and thrive...others will fall through the cracks because...the BMV was too crowded.

You see what I'm saying?

"I couldn't get an ID for the past 4 years because I didnt have gasoline in my car and the BMV was crowded."

:rolleyes:

That sounds like grounds for a Pity Party right there.
C'mon Helix, some will take the initiative and prosper and thrive...others will fall through the cracks because...the BMV was too crowded.

You see what I'm saying?
No. I also didn't completely grasp the voting line problem until i moved to a more urban area in a Republican state. I will vote by mail from now on if I'm not prevented from doing so by voter suppression.

Not really needed. There are very few people who lack IDs, and most of those who do have one have chosen not to have one.

The argument that somehow the poor lack IDs is nonsense since virtual every government assistance program to aid the poor has an identification requirement. It’s virtually impossible to have a job (legally) and not have an ID, so that takes care of most everyone else.

The reality is that anyone who considers an voter ID requirement an undue burden is either misinformed or lying for some reason.
No. Its rather stupid to consider sen ding a federal ID card to everyone when across the country the VAST MAJORITY of people already have valid ID.
I don't understand the big lie about people who want to vote not having ID's. Most everyone who wants to vote already has ID's. You need ID's for everything in life. To claim that these people don't have ID's is just nothing but a big lie. THEY ALREADY HAVE ID'S!
What are you people basing this opinion on? Gut feeling? I don't see any links, or data, or evidence from any of you. Let me get the ball rolling.

7% is almost 23 million people. That is not nothing.

Back
Top Bottom