• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the Feds send a Voter ID to every eligible voter?

Federal ID cards are not the answer. States still run the elections. And a drivers license or state ID card is just as easy to obtain as a social security card.

Feds providing voter ID cards doesn’t infringe on the states running their own election. The fed puts in place guidelines for acceptable forms of ID for any number of issues. I’d also argue that, say, for the presidency it’s a national office and there should be uniform around that office’s selection.

Federal ID cards are not the answer. States still run the elections. And a drivers license or state ID card is just as easy to obtain as a social security card.

How would providing a federal ID that could be used to comply with voter id law interfere with states running elections? Social security cards do not have photos and are not acceptable voter id.

How would providing a federal ID that could be used to comply with voter id law interfere with states running elections? Social security cards do not have photos and are not acceptable voter id.

The closest thing to a federal ID card that I would find acceptable is a Real ID version of your drivers license or state ID card. You can google that if you don't know what it is.

Feds providing voter ID cards doesn’t infringe on the states running their own election. The fed puts in place guidelines for acceptable forms of ID for any number of issues. I’d also argue that, say, for the presidency it’s a national office and there should be uniform around that office’s selection.
As we are still electing presidents by way of the electoral college and even presidential elections are primarily handled by the states, then certified or not by congress, it's still the responsibility of the states.

We disagree: Removing drop boxes and the GOP giving themselves the right to take over election boards has everything to do with voter fraud. Your standard bearer demanded the GA SoS find 1100 votes for him, that’s voter fraud.
Sorry...I just do not take you seriously.

The closest thing to a federal ID card that I would find acceptable is a Real ID version of your drivers license or state ID card. You can google that if you don't know what it is.

LOL... I am familiar with Real ID... have had one for while... Why do you find a federal ID unacceptable?

As we are still electing presidents by way of the electoral college and even presidential elections are primarily handled by the states, then certified or not by congress, it's still the responsibility of the states.

That has NOTHING to do with Congress's power to pass legislation regulating federal elections.

The responsibility to carry out those elections. This isn’t infringing on that.

But you already know.

LOL... I am familiar with Real ID... have had one for while... Why do you find a federal ID unacceptable?

I do not believe in the concept of federal ID other then maintaining a social security number for obvious reasons. We are a union of 50 united states. State ID will suffice. I have a Real ID as well.

I do not believe in the concept of federal ID other then maintaining a social security number for obvious reasons. We are a union of 50 united states. State ID will suffice. I have a Real ID as well.

So your objections aren't based on any constitutional principle?

So your objections aren't based on any constitutional principle?

My objections are based on common sense and logic. The Real ID accomplishes the same thing as data is shared between the feds and the states.

My objections are based on common sense and logic. The Real ID accomplishes the same thing as data is shared between the feds and the states.

Doesn’t it make more sense to have one common ID across all 50 states?

Doesn’t it make more sense to have one common ID across all 50 states?

Which part of "We are a union of 50 United States" do you not understand? If we were a single state like France, Germany, or Israel, a national ID would make sense.

Which part of "We are a union of 50 United States" do you not understand? If we were a single state like France, Germany, or Israel, a national ID would make sense.

I understand the "union of 50 United States" just fine... I also understand that a national ID makes more sense than 50 different voter ID standards... Hell, I would go one step further and have a national voter registration system. Elections would be more secure since we could easily detect anyone who tried to registered in different states.

I understand the "union of 50 United States" just fine... I also understand that a national ID makes more sense than 50 different voter ID standards... Hell, I would go one step further and have a national voter registration system. Elections would be more secure since we could easily detect anyone who tried to registered in different states.
You are wrong on both counts. Why have a national voter registration system for elections run by the state and local governments? the database would be massive. Registration is done with your local voter registrar. A national system would be far less secure. And a "Real ID accomplishes what you claim to want. Real ID works as well as any National ID card would. The states share the data with other states and the feds. Why is that not good enough for you?

You are wrong on both counts. Why have a national voter registration system for elections run by the state and local governments? the database would be massive. Registration is done with your local voter registrar. A national system would be far less secure. And a "Real ID accomplishes what you claim to want. Real ID works as well as any National ID card would. The states share the data with other states and the feds. Why is that not good enough for you?

A “real” ID can be issued to a non-US citizen if they are in one of the many ‘legal’ immigration status categories.

(B) EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL STATUS- A State shall require, before issuing a driver's license or identification card to a person, valid documentary evidence that the person--
(i) is a citizen or national of the United States;
(ii) is an alien lawfully admitted for permanent or temporary residence in the United States;
(iii) has conditional permanent resident status in the United States;
(iv) has an approved application for asylum in the United States or has entered into the United States in refugee status;
(v) has a valid, unexpired nonimmigrant visa or nonimmigrant visa status for entry into the United States;
(vi) has a pending application for asylum in the United States;
(vii) has a pending or approved application for temporary protected status in the United States;
(viii) has approved deferred action status; or
(ix) has a pending application for adjustment of status to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States or conditional permanent resident status in the United States.

Is this an on ramp to the "illegal immigrants will vote in droves" trope?

I doubt that even legal immigrants or US citizens lacking real ID would vote “in droves”, but pretending that someone in possession of even a valid REAL ID means that one is (or remains) eligible to vote (or register to vote) in any particular federal election district is BS. It takes exactly one vote to cancel (or double) my vote.

The idea that voter ID should become optional (HR 1) and that a person may simply sign a document stating that they are eligible to vote forcing the state to try to prove a negative is ridiculous.

States would still run the elections, each citizen would have a unique number maintained in both a State and a Federal database, and a Federal standard applied to the card format and content. And unlike a drivers license, moving to another State would require just updating the database removing it from the previous States database and adding it to the current States database without issuing a new card or number. Could even make the census simpler and more current annually by requiring births, deaths, and moving be promptly reported.

States would still run the elections, each citizen would have a unique number maintained in both a State and a Federal database, and a Federal standard applied to the card format and content. And unlike a drivers license, moving to another State would require just updating the database removing it from the previous States database and adding it to the current States database without issuing a new card or number. Could even make the census simpler and more current annually by requiring births, deaths, and moving be promptly reported.
No.

Back
Top Bottom