• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the Feds send a Voter ID to every eligible voter?

Voter IDs are different in every state and in many states the means to get one had been made difficult. In my state the government made the people pay for the ID which violates the constitution and the courts ordered them to halt the practice and make the ids available for free. That state refused and continued the practice until the courts suggested that the net move would be to put people in jail for failure to follow the court orders.
Wow, what state is that? Source?

So, why not just have the Feds provide a Voter ID for every eligible voter making it easier for every citizen to vote and still meet the voter ID laws that the GOP feels are necessary.
Seems like a good idea but how often? What about voters that are arrested for felonies, for ex?

I think if it was just not called a 'voter' ID, you'd get around that.

On the surface, seems like a workable idea, but would like to hear more angles.

Too many half truths and lies to take that post seriously.
What are the half truths. The state I live in is Wisconsin an the state where they closed offices is Alabama. Tht is the problem with Trump cultists, they only believe in what Trump tells them. Pitiful!!!!

As for Voter ID Only a complete and utter moron would suggest that blacks cannot easily obtain them in their own state:

Are you opposed to all Americans receiving a voter ID and automatic registration at age 18?

Wow, what state is that? Source?

Seems like a good idea but how often? What about voters that are arrested for felonies, for ex?

I think if it was just not called a 'voter' ID, you'd get around that.

On the surface, seems like a workable idea, but would like to hear more angles.
The two states are Wisconsin where I live and that court case went on for months. The state that closed offices was Alabama.

Why does the democrat party not want people to prove they are who they say they are on election day? Why do they want cheating to be made easier?

Are you opposed to all Americans receiving a voter ID and automatic registration at age 18?
What's next? pass out a driver's license without a test? Unless an 18 year old is totally helpless, he or she can obtain a drivers license or state ID card. And it's not much to ask that he or she registers to vote. None of it should be automatic. That would be dumb.

What's next? pass out a driver's license without a test?

A driver’s license is proof you can operate a motor vehicle safely. Voting is every citizen’s right and isn’t a hazing ritual.

A driver’s license is proof you can operate a motor vehicle safely. Voting is every citizen’s right and isn’t a hazing ritual.

A drivers license is also a valid Photo ID, as is a state ID card. All non felon US citizens do have a right to vote, however they still must be registered to vote and able to prove they are the person being marked off as voting.

A drivers license is also a valid Photo ID, as is a state ID card. All non felon US citizens do have a right to vote, however they still must be registered to vote and able to prove they are the person being marked off as voting.

And I’m saying automatic registration and a voter ID card solves all problems. Yet you guys just hate the idea is making it easier to vote.

I wonder why.

And I’m saying automatic registration and a voter ID card solves all problems. Yet you guys just hate the idea is making it easier to vote.

I wonder why.

No it would not. When you register to vote, you are taking an oath. It's really no trouble to register to vote. Takes maybe five minutes. And a driver's license or state ID card satisfies the Voter ID requirement. And in most states those are very difficult to counterfeit.

No it would not. When you register to vote, you are taking an oath. It's really no trouble to register to vote. Takes maybe five minutes. And a driver's license or state ID card satisfies the Voter ID requirement. And in most states those are very difficult to counterfeit.

You can take the same oath the first time you vote or whatever. That oath doesn’t make it illegal to commit voter fraud, state and fed laws do.

So we can make a voter ID card that is hard to fake. What’s the problem?

You can take the same oath the first time you vote or whatever. That oath doesn’t make it illegal to commit voter fraud, state and fed laws do.

So we can make a voter ID card that is hard to fake. What’s the problem?

IWe already have voter ID's in the form of driver's licenses and State IDs. And automatic registration is a stupid suggestion.

I wonder why.
The Republicans only want an ID victory, but have not thought of the logistics. For example I have a Real ID driver's license. Although the license is valid and I reported my recent move, the license displays my former address.

But, why not make bipartisan changes. Voter ID, then standardized amount, ease of access of polling locations

The Republicans only want an ID victory, but have not thought of the logistics. For example I have a Real ID driver's license. Although the license is valid and I reported my recent move, the license displays my former address.

But, why not make bipartisan changes. Voter ID, then standardized amount, ease of access of polling locations

Because they don’t want people to vote. They honestly don’t even care if it’s harder for their own base. And as we can see from 2020, even winning the election isn’t that important to them in order to declare victory.

Absentee ballots should absolutely not be sent to all voters. They should only be sent to those requesting them that cannot vote in person. And ballot drop boxes should be legal only inside voting centers where they can be watched to avoid fraud. As for Voter ID Only a complete and utter moron would suggest that blacks cannot easily obtain them in their own state:

ABSENTEE BALLOT

You state your position that Absentee ballots should not be sent to all voters.
But you don’t justify your position.

So I guess we should just take it for granted that you must have a good reason
because you are extremely wise and knowledgeable and we shouldn’t question you.

Yeah OK, I’ll do that.

DROP BOXES

As to ballot boxes and fraud there have been no credible allegations of such fraud.
Sixty judges dismissed Trump allegations of voter fraud. Give it up.

It would be an oxymoron to place a Drop Box inside a voting center since people
could just vote in the voting center. Duh.

VOTER ID

You lack knowledge. There have been many reports of Blacks having difficulty obtaining
Voter ID in states that require it because often one must obtain other expensive supporting
documents that they don’t already have, in order to be eligible to obtain a Voter ID.

I’m not suggesting that you must be a “complete and utter moron” not to have known this.
You just live in your little world of ignorance and you think that you are knowledgeable.

You lack knowledge. There have been many reports of Blacks having difficulty obtaining
Voter ID in states that require it because often one must obtain other expensive supporting
documents that they don’t already have, in order to be eligible to obtain a Voter ID.

Utter bullshit. All they need is a damn drivers license or state ID card. First, it's rare that any blacks did not or do not already have a drivers license or state ID card as it's been required pretty much all their adult life for a long host of reasons, such as cashing checks, proof of age when buying alcohol or tobacco products, applying for government benefits, social security benefits, insurance, driving a damn car. As fr those rare individuals who have no documentation of their existence, it's on them to obtain it, not just to vote but for all other reasons identification is required. And it's quite racist to suggest that blacks are less capable of obtaining those documents then whites. I’m not suggesting that you must be a “complete and utter moron” not to have known this.
You just live in your little world of ignorance and you think that you are knowledgeable.
No, I live in the real world. It's you that lives in a world minorities are considered less capable of obtaining ID or proof of existence documents. It's the racism of low expectations:

Voter IDs are different in every state and in many states the means to get one had been made difficult. In my state the government made the people pay for the ID which violates the constitution and the courts ordered them to halt the practice and make the ids available for free. That state refused and continued the practice until the courts suggested that the net move would be to put people in jail for failure to follow the court orders. Other states have closed all offices in Dem voting areas to make it harder to get IDs, especially for the poor and elderly as the nearest office were over fifty miles away. this is just another way for GOP controlled states to suppress the vote. And do not compare this to other licenses, as this is controlled by our constitution. So, why not just have the Feds provide a Voter ID for every eligible voter making it easier for every citizen to vote and still meet the voter ID laws that the GOP feels are necessary.

The states would oppose federal licenses. It's their right to run elections how they see fit and the states won't give that power up easily.

Voter IDs are different in every state and in many states the means to get one had been made difficult. In my state the government made the people pay for the ID which violates the constitution and the courts ordered them to halt the practice and make the ids available for free. That state refused and continued the practice until the courts suggested that the net move would be to put people in jail for failure to follow the court orders. Other states have closed all offices in Dem voting areas to make it harder to get IDs, especially for the poor and elderly as the nearest office were over fifty miles away. this is just another way for GOP controlled states to suppress the vote. And do not compare this to other licenses, as this is controlled by our constitution. So, why not just have the Feds provide a Voter ID for every eligible voter making it easier for every citizen to vote and still meet the voter ID laws that the GOP feels are necessary.
I don't understand the big lie about people who want to vote not having ID's. Most everyone who wants to vote already has ID's. You need ID's for everything in life. To claim that these people don't have ID's is just nothing but a big lie. THEY ALREADY HAVE ID'S!

Utter bullshit. All they need is a damn drivers license or state ID card. First, it's rare that any blacks did not or do not already have a drivers license or state ID card as it's been required pretty much all their adult life for a long host of reasons, such as cashing checks, proof of age when buying alcohol or tobacco products, applying for government benefits, social security benefits, insurance, driving a damn car. As fr those rare individuals who have no documentation of their existence, it's on them to obtain it, not just to vote but for all other reasons identification is required. And it's quite racist to suggest that blacks are less capable of obtaining those documents then whites. I’m not suggesting that you must be a “complete and utter moron” not to have known this.

No, I live in the real world. It's you that lives in a world minorities are considered less capable of obtaining ID or proof of existence documents. It's the racism of low expectations:

NOT RARE / EXPENSE

Many people live off the grid or simply in a very isolated manner.

Especially older people who are settled and collecting SS (by direct deposit btw). You make ridiculous claims such as needing ID to buy alcohol or tobacco or to cash checks.

Sure, when you are in your 20’s you must present ID to buy alcohol or tobacco (unless you are obtaining it illegally which isn’t difficult); beyond your 20s, nobody asks anymore. I guess you didn’t think of that.

Additionally I don’t need ID to cash checks at my bank. And a 62 year-old may have opened the bank account 20, 30, 40 years ago and long-lost his/her ID and never bothered to replace it since it wasn’t needed.

You are under the impression that everybody is integrated into mainstream society but it isn't like that.

There can easily be a few million people who fall into the categories I referred to above. Additionally many people drive cars without ID or even insurance (illegally). I don’t agree with you that it is “rare individuals who have no documentation”. Also consider the demographic of Indian Tribes that tend to be isolated and far from Polling Stations.

But it's not only about having no documentation - it's also about having the right documentation.

If people do not have a pressing need to replace a lost, misplaced or expired ID, many shall neglect to do so, especially if there is an expense associated with it. (I paid $128 to renew my driver license directly with DMV.)

Note that the IRS will accept your tax return and payment and they do not require ID – my point is that government is happy to conduct business without ID when you are paying them. If you appear in court to pay a summons the judge will not ask to see your ID either.

RACIST

I didn’t suggest that “blacks are less capable of obtaining those documents then whites”. I suggested that Blacks often live in more isolated and poor areas that provide less infrastructure and services and, in addition, such Blacks have low incomes. And let’s not forget the Indian Tribes.

I used the term “complete and utter moron” because you used it initially. I guess you proved to be a “complete and utter moron” after all by assuming that I was a racist with my claim of certain Blacks having more difficulty in obtaining identification under your assumption that my claim was based upon their mental ability. This is what happens when you assume; you end up sounding dumb.

You clearly live in a community, as I do, in which we have easy access to gov’t services. But if you go beyond your community you shall see that others have it much worse than you do.

Now you can blame them for it and you may be right to a degree. Even so, this wouldn’t justify making it harder for them to vote when there is an easy solution called an Absentee Ballot.

ABSENTEE BALLOT

This discussion started from the question of the use of Absentee Ballots.
You failed to make a point of anything being wrong with the use of them.

Last edited:
Many people live off the grid or simply in a very isolated manner.

Especially older people who are settled and collecting SS (by direct deposit btw). You make ridiculous claims such as needing ID to buy alcohol or tobacco or to cash checks.

Sure, when you are in your 20’s you must present ID to buy alcohol or tobacco (unless you are obtaining it illegally which isn’t difficult); beyond your 20s, nobody asks anymore. I guess you didn’t think of that.

Additionally I don’t need ID to cash checks at my bank. And a 62 year-old may have opened the bank account 20, 30, 40 years ago and long-lost his/her ID and never bothered to replace it since it wasn’t needed.
I don't buy it. I am 67 and live out in the country. I don't need a driver's license or state ID card to cash checks at my bank....my debit card is enough, however I had to show a valid drivers license to open the account and have to show it if I cash a check anywhere but my bank. As does anyone else.
If people do not have a pressing need to replace a lost, misplaced or expired ID, many shall neglect to do so, especially if there is an expense associated with it. (I paid $128 to renew my driver license directly with DMV.)

I don't buy it. There is still many day to day needs for a drivers license. if one is idiotic enough to let ID expire and not renew it, that's on them. And I am not sure I buy your claim of $128 for a renewal. I paid less then $30.00 for a recent renewal.

I didn’t suggest that “blacks are less capable of obtaining those documents then whites”. I suggested that Blacks often live in more isolated and poor areas that provide less infrastructure and services and, in addition, such Blacks have low incomes. And let’s not forget the Indian Tribes.
You absolutely did as you singled out blacks. Like it or not, that's the racism of low expectations.

used the term “complete and utter moron” because you used it initially. I guess you proved to be a “complete and utter moron” after all by assuming that I was a racist with my claim of certain Blacks having more difficulty in obtaining identification under your assumption that my claim was based upon their mental ability. This is what happens when you assume; you end up sounding dumb.
Again, you are the one that singled out blacks as potentially having difficulty obtaining or maintaining ID.

You clearly live in a community, as I do, in which we have easy access to gov’t services. But if you go beyond your community you shall see that others have it much worse than you do.

The vast majority of blacks live in a community as well and have access to all of those services. Someone living off the grid is far more likely to be white then minority.

Now you can blame them for it and you may be right to a degree. Even so, this wouldn’t justify making it harder for them to vote when there is an easy solution called an Absentee Ballot.
Like it or not, many aspects of life require having an ID, either a drivers license or state ID card. Voting is just another. Pretty much everyone, even in the black communities have ID, it's not a matter of trying to get one. Why don't you state your real reason why you are against Voter ID?

Note that the IRS will accept your tax return and payment and they do not require ID – my point is that government is happy to conduct business without ID when you are paying them. If you appear in court to pay a summons the judge will not ask to see your ID either.
However the IRS has all of your pertinent info from your employer or other sources of income. They are reasonably sure that you are you.

I don't buy it. I am 67 and live out in the country. I don't need a driver's license or state ID card to cash checks at my bank....my debit card is enough, however I had to show a valid drivers license to open the account and have to show it if I cash a check anywhere but my bank. As does anyone else.

I don't buy it. There is still many day to day needs for a drivers license. if one is idiotic enough to let ID expire and not renew it, that's on them. And I am not sure I buy your claim of $128 for a renewal. I paid less then $30.00 for a recent renewal.

You absolutely did as you singled out blacks. Like it or not, that's the racism of low expectations.

Again, you are the one that singled out blacks as potentially having difficulty obtaining or maintaining ID.

The vast majority of blacks live in a community as well and have access to all of those services. Someone living off the grid is far more likely to be white then minority.

Like it or not, many aspects of life require having an ID, either a drivers license or state ID card. Voting is just another. Pretty much everyone, even in the black communities have ID, it's not a matter of trying to get one. Why don't you state your real reason why you are against Voter ID?

However the IRS has all of your pertinent info from your employer or other sources of income. They are reasonably sure that you are you.

(1)
Who cares if you personally need to show ID if you cash a check anywhere but in your bank?
How is this relevant to our discussion?

(2)
I renewed my license in NY State about two years ago for $128.
Research it if you think I’m lying.

(3)
And no, you don’t need a driver license for daily needs; please stop with the nonsense.
I live in NYC and even here I rarely produce my ID.

(4)
You believe that I am against Voter ID.
Another dumb assumption by you.

If the RNC offers to pay for all Voter IDs and required supportive documents and
transportation to-and-from municipal offices, I’ll support it.

(5)
You said: “Someone living off the grid is far more likely to be white then minority.”
How do you know this? Because of TV shows featuring Whites?
Maybe producers know that viewers like watching Whites on TV more than other races;
did you even consider this? Well ‘My Name is Earl’ must be a reflection of reality...

(6)
You made an irrelevant comment that I responded to with point 1.
You made three more dumb assumptions I responded to with points 2, 3 and 4.
You made an unsubstantiated claim that I responded to with point 5.
You also made the dumb assumption about racism on my part, that I clarified.
Summarily your username ‘dopey’ reflects upon you very well.
Go ahead, make more dumb assumptions and share them with us.

Back
Top Bottom