• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should it ever be illegal for consenting adults to have sex?

Should it ever be illegal for consenting adults to have sex?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Some do. Usually scumbags that already have a horrible home environment for their kids, exposing them to drugs, unsanitary conditions, etc. But those people are obviously in the vast minority, most people would not ever intentionally expose their kids to that.

But plenty of states already have laws on the books to address this. Here in Texas, it would be Indecency with a child by exposure, which classifies as a 3rd degree felony.

But this law has exceptions, and is not applied evenly to every case:

If you are going to quote something you should at least link to it so we can verify if the quote was taken out of context or not.

That said I think that the “with intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person.” aspect is very important. Taken strictly by wording, a kind walking in on their parents having sex would instantly make the parents in violation of the law. This exception helps to keep people who don't intend to subject a child to exposure from being charged with a crime.

But hey I'm sure there are people who would like pubes or some extra juices in their food. I mean people are out here buying bath water after all.

Really?!? Where is this happening? Er....uh....asking for a friend.

Only if it involves non-consenting participants such as others patronizing the mall during business hours who did not consent to watching, or trespassing. If it is my mall, not open to the public at the time, and no one else is around, then it should not be illegal.
"Attention shoppers! A reminder that the mall will be closed tomorrow, opened only to members of the local vouyers and exhibitionst club."

Reactions: lwf
I couldn't care less what consenting adults do in private. As far as I know, there are no laws against it, except perhaps for incest.

If S&M get out of hand there are safe words. If the safe word is disregarded it's no longer consenting sex.
Sadly, there are states where certain aspects of BDSM are illegal, even between consenting adults.

The only exception I can think of is incest.
Consenting doesn't matter, if it's your sibling or a parent, GTFOH with that crap.
Same question to you as I presented to @Stealers Wheel ; Why? Do you have something other than an emotional reason that incest within the context of consenting adults should not be legal? And again, coercion by position of power or conditioning from a young age fall outside consent, so don't strawman by using those examples.

Thinking about this, what about two hormonal 15 year olds? I know I waited until I was legal! Just the way I am!🤫 What?.. I'm the loner...😔

That does take it outside of the question's context of adults. A valid question in and of itself and worthy of exploring on another thread.
This is confusing, though haven't delved into the law of what is said here.

Damn.. lot of locked up teens.

Not really as most states have some kind of R&J laws.

Sex involving consenting adults (18+) --- should it be illegal in any instance?

Please vote and explain your opinion in the comments!
Adultery. It is bad for society if marriages break down and likely affairs would be greatly reduced of cheaters served actual jail time.

Sex among/between 2 or more consenting adults who involve a participant that is incapable of giving consent (animal, child) should be illegal.
Why does an animal need to consent? We do all kinds of things on animals from eating them to engaging in medical research on them, to training them to fight etc not to mention use their labor without compensation.

The correct answer is, bestiality is wrong because it violates natural law, but if you don’t agree with natural law then you can’t use the consent argument because we don’t need an animal’s consent to do anything else to it

I have not thought of a reason yet.

But "ever" is a pretty big word.

It may be possible to contrive some relevant corner cases I have yet to think of.

Imo, incest laws are medically appropriate, and not all adults are able to give consent (intoxication, mental issues for example)

Imo, incest laws are medically appropriate,

Why?

and not all adults are able to give consent (intoxication, mental issues for example)

I think that was the point in specifying consenting, to eliminate the conditions where even as an adult consent was not or could not be given.

Well that certainly would have landed Trumps ass in jail multiple times!
Maybe so, but you don’t actually care about this so I don’t know what point you’re making.

Possibly in positions of trust or power relationships. Should a doctor or therapist be allowed to have sex/relationship with one of their patients?

Allowed by who? A therapists employer? Up to them. A organization that licenses therapists? Up to the them. A state employed therapist? No, but its not criminal. They should be fired, same as any violation of unprofessional work.

A President should not have sex with interns, but its not a crime. Its a fireable offense.

The only time I could think of criminalizing sex between consenting adults would be if one of them knowingly passed on a disease. But then I suppose the other person wouldnt consent to that.

Why does an animal need to consent? We do all kinds of things on animals from eating them to engaging in medical research on them, to training them to fight etc not to mention use their labor without compensation.

The correct answer is, bestiality is wrong because it violates natural law, but if you don’t agree with natural law then you can’t use the consent argument because we don’t need an animal’s consent to do anything else to it
What is "natural law," and can you cite the specific wording of this law that bestiality supposedly "violates?"

Same question to you as I presented to @Stealers Wheel ; Why? Do you have something other than an emotional reason that incest within the context of consenting adults should not be legal? And again, coercion by position of power or conditioning from a young age fall outside consent, so don't strawman by using those examples.

Nothing like that at all, it's just I spent two and a half years living in Arkansas and another ten in North Texas.
One may very well encounter the products of incest a bit more down there.
But hey, you do you.

1706050375204.png

PS: I also occasionally observed a similar phenomenon around Waldorf, Maryland, about 40 miles from my hometown of Bethesda.

Nothing like that at all, it's just I spent two and a half years living in Arkansas and another ten in North Texas.
One may very well encounter the products of incest a bit more down there.
But hey, you do you.

That seem to be more of a problem with actual inbreeding/procreation than with incest sex. Would it be less of an issue if it were same sex couplings or one was sterle by say lack of uterus?

PS: I also occasionally observed a similar phenomenon around Waldorf, Maryland, about 40 miles from my hometown of Bethesda.

Yeah.....that's why Delmarva is so much better. We don't have the problems of the west side of the bay.

no

i can think of acts that i would support being illegal that could involve consenting adults but that would be different from your question

certain acts in public should be illegal
certain acts in front of minors (forced) should be illegal
etc etc but those are different things

Back
Top Bottom