• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should it ever be illegal for consenting adults to have sex?

Should it ever be illegal for consenting adults to have sex?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Sex involving consenting adults (18+) --- should it be illegal in any instance?

Please vote and explain your opinion in the comments!

giphy.gif

No.

The obvious exception most people would carve out I think is incest, but if you support laws against that because of the possibilities of genetic outcomes for the children it would also make sense to support laws preventing people likely to spread genetic disorders. Which is obviously not ideal.

Seems best to just let social norms handle that rather that directly involving the law.

Last edited:
Interesting question. When does the "consent" start or when does it "stop?"
Example: sadomasochistic sex. Once into it one partner decides it has gone far enough the other is so "wound up" they don't want to stop.

On the surface, I would say consensual sex is no one else's business, but again, to what degree?
Better example: Both partners are into beastiality. Should that be ok too? It's not like they can ask the beast their consent.

Actions have consequences.

If you cheat on your spouse - expect that they very may well take you to court and get LOTS of your stuff.

If you decide to have an office romance, and one person is in a position of authority above the other - there very well may be repercussions.

Colleges are likely going to frown on professors, staff, etc from having sexual relationships with the new freshman coming on campus.

I wouldn’t suggest getting frisky on your front lawn in plain view of the neighbors…

But should the government write laws regarding consensual sexual relationships? No. Not specifically.

Oops. I meant no.

Only thing that should be legislated is where.....the school yard in broad daylight....not good. However, that is an issue of public decency not consensual sex.

Actions have consequences.

If you cheat on your spouse - expect that they very may well take you to court and get LOTS of your stuff.

If you decide to have an office romance, and one person is in a position of authority above the other - there very well may be repercussions.

Colleges are likely going to frown on professors, staff, etc from having sexual relationships with the new freshman coming on campus.

I wouldn’t suggest getting frisky on your front lawn in plain view of the neighbors…

But should the government write laws regarding consensual sexual relationships? No. Not specifically.

Right on the money. It's not the inherent nature of it that should be regulated, it's the specific incidents in which occur, which can be handled by policy and standards for institutions and whatnot.

And in incidents like public sex between consenting adults, the issue is the fact that is in public, not the consenting sex.

Yes.

Sex between anyone should be highly regulated and controlled by the government.

The government would issue licenses for those approved to have sex, but that is a general permission. Those licensed to have sex, once they agree to sex with each other should have to then apply for a one time "use permit" each time they want to have sex.

WW

Do you believe there should be an exception(s)?

Sexual acts in public places should be illegal.
Sexual acts in front of children should be illegal.

I'm conflicted on the incest thing - who cares if brother and sister want to have sex. But if she gets pregnant, that could/will be detrimental to the child so, as I said, I'm conflicted on that one.

What do you think?

Sexual acts in public places should be illegal.
Sexual acts in front of children should be illegal.

Well that's not because of the consenting sex, right? It's because of the specific nature of how it's occuring (in public, in front of children). The inherent nature of sexual acts between consenting adults isn't being infracted in those situations.

I'm conflicted on the incest thing - who cares if brother and sister want to have sex. But if she gets pregnant, that could/will be detrimental to the child so, as I said, I'm conflicted on that one.

What do you think?

#11 I laid it out. 👍

Sex involving consenting adults (18+) --- should it be illegal in any instance?

Please vote and explain your opinion in the comments!
I'm thinking incest ought to be against the law.

Do adults intentionally have sex in front of kids?

Some do. Usually scumbags that already have a horrible home environment for their kids, exposing them to drugs, unsanitary conditions, etc. But those people are obviously in the vast minority, most people would not ever intentionally expose their kids to that.

But plenty of states already have laws on the books to address this. Here in Texas, it would be Indecency with a child by exposure, which classifies as a 3rd degree felony.

But this law has exceptions, and is not applied evenly to every case:

When determining whether or not an act can be considered the crime of indecency with a child by exposure, the key phrase in the law is: “with intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person.”

If it can be proven that exposure occurred accidentally or without any sexual intent, then the charges may be dropped. If, on the other hand, the accused purposefully exposed himself/herself – or caused a child to expose himself/herself in order to obtain sexual satisfaction – then the crime of indecency with a child has occurred.

How about in a kitchen of a restaurant on the counter while they are preparing your food order?

Would you like some extra pubes in your soup?

How about in a kitchen of a restaurant on the counter while they are preparing your food order?

Ok but the problem there isn't the nature of the relationship is it. Sanitary laws aren't laws against types of consensual relationships.

But hey I'm sure there are people who would like pubes or some extra juices in their food. I mean people are out here buying bath water after all.

Again that is a matter of public decency not consensual sex. Public decency, public health and child protection are areas of law on their own.

Sex among/between 2 or more consenting adults who involve a participant that is incapable of giving consent (animal, child) should be illegal.

In the fountain at the mall?
Only if it involves non-consenting participants such as others patronizing the mall during business hours who did not consent to watching, or trespassing. If it is my mall, not open to the public at the time, and no one else is around, then it should not be illegal.

Back
Top Bottom