• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sharia law used in the United Arab Emirates to jail gang-raped Australian woman

No, respect HUMAN rights, as human beings these women DESERVE for people to be outraged at the treatment they receive, as well as little girls.

Get the human rights thingy right at home first.

We don't have Sharia law here in America.

That's fine. Muslim countries have it and USA has military bases in some of them. Lots of US citizens travel to and fro in these countries. Respect their laws without questioning.

That's fine. Muslim countries have it and USA has military bases in some of them. Lots of US citizens travel to and fro in these countries. Respect their laws without questioning.

This woman did NOT disrespect their law. She was the victim of a crime.

What? This girl was raped? SHE didn't do anything wrong yet was punished for being a victim of what would be considered a crime in every other place except for these backward ass regions that really NEED to join us here in the year 2013.

EVERYONE with an ounce of common sense should condemn Sharia law. It's disgusting.

You go girl! Showem what you got and do what you can to free these women and equalize their treatment in even terms!

Where are your friends? There are louder audiences than you in here? Why do you not call them up and have at it together?

There will always be such imperfections. The US justice system is just as imperfect.

They thought that they can rape her because they assumed that she knew the sharia law that she would not be able to report the rape because: a) she drank alcohol (some say without a license!!!), and b) she had sex with these rapists and was not married with them (pre-marital sex). If she was married to the six of the rapists then this would be all alright with!

For one a woman cannot be married to more than one man either way. For two, I do not see how rape is alright with even if one is their wife!

They thought that they can rape her because they assumed that she knew the sharia law that she would not be able to report the rape because: a) she drank alcohol (some say without a license!!!), and b) she had sex with these rapists and was not married with them (pre-marital sex). If she was married to the six of the rapists then this would be all alright with!

For one a woman cannot be married to more than one man either way. For two, I do not see how rape is alright with even if one is their wife!

This whole thing is disgusting beyond belief.

There will always be such imperfections. The US justice system is just as imperfect.

No it isn't. Women are NOT jailed for committing adultery or for being raped in this country.

The hell are you talking about boy! Imperfections! How long have you been living in Singapure?

Far from imperfection the whole concept is faulty! Being raped means it is without consent, so what has this to do with consensual pre-marital sex to which she was charged with?

You go girl! Showem what you got and do what you can to free these women and equalize their treatment in even terms!

Where are your friends? There are louder audiences than you in here? Why do you not call them up and have at it together?

I'm just a loner DDD! ;)

Lets not go into specifics.

And why not? You claim that the US violates human rights as much as Sharia law. I am debating that false accusation.

I have to go to work now, but I WILL be back. Take that as a threat or a promise. :mrgreen:

No it isn't. Women are NOT jailed for committing adultery or for being raped in this country.
She wasn't convicted of being raped, she was convicted along with the other men of consensual sex and drinking without a licence.

In the United Kingdom only 7% of all rape cases reported to the police go to court (can't find the US' statistics, but don't see any reason to assume they'll be any better) and out of those around 60% get a conviction.

The western system is not as good as you make it sound either.

I think the charges brought on ALL Parties are reprehensible, a prison sentence for consensual sex is just silly. Prison for false accusations though is fair, I wonder if the guys are allowed to sue.
Nice try, but she wasn't jailed for "falsely" accusing those men, she was jailed for having extra-marital sex, which you yourself just admitted is silly (although I'd use stronger language than that).
Also, if someone was acquitted of a crime due to lack of evidence, it doesn't mean that his accuser is lying, it just says that there was not enough evidence to support his claim. If courts would convict every accuser who couldn't prove his claim beyond reasonable doubt, no one would go to court.

Nice try, but she wasn't jailed for "falsely" accusing those men, she was jailed for having extra-marital sex, which you yourself just admitted is silly (although I'd use stronger language than that).
Also, if someone was acquitted of a crime due to lack of evidence, it doesn't mean that his accuser is lying, it just says that there was not enough evidence to support his claim. If courts would convict every accuser who couldn't prove his claim beyond reasonable doubt, no one would go to court.

I never said she was jailed for falsely accusing someone, I was simply wondering about the details of the case and the guys' defence. Though if you go sell your story and accuse people of being rapists I assume you can get sued for slander in the US.

She wasn't convicted of being raped, she was convicted along with the other men of consensual sex and drinking without a licence.

In the United Kingdom only 7% of all rape cases reported to the police go to court (can't find the US' statistics, but don't see any reason to assume they'll be any better) and out of those around 60% get a conviction.

The western system is not as good as you make it sound either.

She claims it was rape, not consensual sex. Where are you getting "consensual sex" from?

Rape is not reported to the police often because of reasons like the one in the OP, although NEVER as extreme in this country. No woman would be jailed who claimed to be raped, unless she was PROVEN to be lying, and no that doesn't mean they take the word of the man over the woman. Do you understand why a woman would be hesitant to report a rape? Look at how this one is being treated. A failure to report a rape is also not necessarily a reflection on the justice system, but a reflection on society and how they view a woman who has been raped, how they will pick her apart into a million different pieces. How was she dressed? How did she act? Was she provocative? Like SHE is on trial instead of the sick bastards who raped her. Attitudes such as I've seen displayed here are just ONE reason why woman are afraid to report a rape to the authorities, so these douches get away with it and will more than likely do it again and victimize another woman. And that is just how it is in this country. To actually be arrested for "adultery" after you've been raped is like being victimized more than one time, and by authorities who should, by all rights, protect you.

She claims it was rape, not consensual sex. Where are you getting "consensual sex" from?

The court (after examining the evidence which we haven't been provided with btw) and the accused men?

Rape is not reported to the police often because of reasons like the one in the OP, although NEVER as extreme in this country. No woman would be jailed who claimed to be raped, unless she was PROVEN to be lying, and no that doesn't mean they take the word of the man over the woman. Do you understand why a woman would be hesitant to report a rape? Look at how this one is being treated. A failure to report a rape is also not necessarily a reflection on the justice system

Wait what? I didn't mention that the overwhelming majority of western women choose not to report rape, rather than only 7% of all those who do (at least in the UK) will get their case heard in court. I was only providing information about rape statistics in the West because he was saying it is time for them to come to 2013, when the truth is the overwhelming majority of rapists (reported or not) will not go to jail.

Obviously its a better system but not one that people should be bragging about imo.

The court (after examining the evidence which we haven't been provided with btw) and the accused men?

Wait what? I didn't mention that the overwhelming majority of western women choose not to report rape, rather than only 7% of all those who do (at least in the UK) will get their case heard in court. I was only providing information about rape statistics in the West because he was saying it is time for them to come to 2013, when the truth is the overwhelming majority of rapists (reported or not) will not go to jail.

In the US, 25% of reported rapes result in an arrest (wiki). There are a variety of reasons for this. Of those resulting in arrest, many are plead and others dropped. Probably less than half go to court. You're looking at an end stat as if there is no attention given to the case unless it goes to court.

Obviously its a better system but not one that people should be bragging about imo.

Women in much of the mideast are property, not even enjoying the rights granted animals in the US. In a world with the Koran as a constitution, terrorist regimes and backwards fundamentalism still entrenched, there's nothing wrong with bragging about a transparent justice system based on human, civil, labor and environmental rights.

To pretend, even for a moment, that the US justice system compares at all to that of a totalitarian state is nonsense.

The court cannot prove whether or not the sex was consensual. It's her word against theirs. The only reason why they would believe it was consensual is because this is a patriarchal society where women don't count.

This is irrelevant to the thread anyway. This woman DID report the rape, and then was punished.

The court cannot prove whether or not the sex was consensual. It's her word against theirs. The only reason why they would believe it was consensual is because this is a patriarchal society where women don't count.

This is irrelevant to the thread anyway. This woman DID report the rape, and then was punished.

The U.A.E. is another fine U.S ally. Nice to know that they're behind us,eh?

The U.A.E. is another fine U.S ally. Nice to know that they're behind us,eh?

No, not at all. With friends like that, who needs enemies?

what we really need is eyes in the back of our heads.

We don't even know what WE'RE doing half the time, how are we supposed to know what anyone ELSE is doing? :lol:

We don't even know what WE'RE doing half the time, how are we supposed to know what anyone ELSE is doing? :lol:

:shock: Never heard of NSA?

Back
Top Bottom